2.0

2001 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

May 142005

Focus 4-cyl

On Saturday 5/14/2005 the engine compartment of my well maintained Ford Focus SE, 2001, (equipped with a zentec engine), caught on fire in a fashion similar to those described by numerous owners in the following web sites: www.geocities.com/archangel_jjn/ www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_focus_fires.html. the damages occurred to my Focus are close to those graphically described in the pictures of the second web site. The fact that this occurred on a parking lot a block away from a fire station prevented further damage to the passenger compartment. But had this occurred on my house's covered garage, the whole house had burned. What happened to my car is similar to the situation described in the NHTSA 02V288000 campaign. But my vehicle was manufactured on August 2003, and therefore does not qualify to the voluntary Ford recall to deal with this situation. As you can see in the referred web sites, this is he same situation reported by other owners. I have reported this case to my insurance company, allstate, claim number 179019215. The adjuster is Mr. Ruben romero @ 800 733-8910 X4385. As allstate suggested, I also contacted Ford. Yesterday, I was informed by allstate that my accident resulted in a total lost. On Monday 5/16/2005, I contacted Mr. Mccluster, from the tipton Ford dealership, who photographed my pictures from the fire. He assured me that he was going to log the incident into the system and ask me to contact Ford at 866 436-7332. When I called that number, the same day, I talked to andrew, employer number 3176. He gave the claim number 0422761365 and indicated that Ford was going to contact on two days. I am still waiting for the call. In my opinion Ford did not fully fixed the causes of the NHTSA 02V288000 campaign and that was the reason for my car's fire. Thus, Ford should solve the problem in all Focus vehicles suffering from this problem and it also must be held accountable for all property damage.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

May 142005

Focus 4-cyl

On Saturday 5/14/2005 the engine compartment of my well maintained Ford Focus SE, 2001, (equipped with a zentec engine), got fire in a fashion similar to that described by numerous owners in the following web sites: www.geocities.com/archangel_jjn/ www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_focus_fires.html the damages occurred to my Focus are close to those graphically described in the pictures of the second web site. The fact that this occurred on a parking lot a block away from a fire station prevented further damage to the passenger compartment. But had this occurred on my house's covered garage, the whole house had burned. What happened to my car is similar to the situation described in the NHTSA 02V288000 campaign. But my vehicle was manufactured on August 2003, and therefore does not qualify to the voluntary Ford recall to deal with this situation. As you can see in the referred web sites, this is he same situation reported by other owners. I have reported this case to my insurance company, allstate, claim number 179019215. The adjuster is Mr. Ruben romero @ 800 733-8910 X4385. As allstate suggested, I also contacted Ford. Yesterday, I was informed by allstate that my accident resulted in a total lost. On Monday 5/16/2005, I contacted Mr. Mccluster, from the tipton Ford dealership, who photographed my pictures from the fire. He assured me that he was going to log the incident into the systema and ask me to contact Ford at 866 436-7332. When I called that number, the same day, I talked to andrew, employer number 3176. He gave the claim number 0422761365 and indicated that Ford was going to contact on two days. I am still waiting for the call. In my opinion Ford did not fully fixed the causes of the NHTSA 02V288000 campaign and that was the reason for my car's fire. Thus, Ford should solve the problem in all Focus vehicles suffering from this problem and it also must be held accountable for all property damage.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

May 102005

Focus

2001 Ford Focus ignition cylinder broke, problems with the tire equipment, engine light illuminated and the sway bar bushing needs to be replaced. The ignition cylinder had been replaced three times. The steel belts were showing through the front tires at 54000 miles. The sensor which caused the engine light to illuminated was replaced three times. The front brakes were replaced twice. The battery, radiator, thermostat and fuel pump also failed.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Nov 212003

Focus 4-cyl

While driving the consumer noticed that the instrument panel gauges were in operative. She could not tell how fast she was driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic informed the driver that the instrument panel needed to be replaced. On some occasions when the speedometer failed the odometer also stopped working and the vehicle idled erratically. At times when the clutch was pressed while stopping the engine would die which resulted in loss of power. The fuel gauge was also unstable and as a result the consumer is never sure how much fuel is in the vehicle.

- Edgewood, NM, USA

Dec 162004

Focus

My 2001 Ford Focus has stalled again. This is about the 4th time. Local mechanic found problem to be fuel injector pump. Dealership claims that is only battery replacement. I have all old parts from recent service at dealership. I would like to see this vehicle recalled. Found internet article that states that this is not an uncommon problem with this make/model. www.theautochannel.com/F/mania/repair/news.html?mania.

- Spring Grove, IL, USA

Oct 252003

Focus 4-cyl

The first problem that I started to have with my 2001 Ford Focus began less than a year after I bought it. The left rear window went out first, then about a week later the right rear window went out. I think the gears were faultily manufactured. When at a Ford dealership for a recall, I was told I would have to pay about $350 per window to fix the problem, money I do not have because I have to save up to fix another problem with this car. The second problem is concerning the electrical system. Everything in my car powered by electricity flickers on and off. When I try to roll up my remaining windows or turn on the A/C, the radio will go static, the headlights flicker, the ABS light pops on, etc. I have talked to numerous Focus owners who have had similar problems. They have been told by Ford dealers that it is this or that and paid a lot of money to fix the problems, but the problems never went away. I am just waiting for my ignition to go out, that is another common problem I have heard of with this lemon of a car. The Ford focuses need to be recalled, we should all get our money back! how many people is Ford going to rip off and kill before they are finally held accountable" I cannot afford to fix all the problems I am having and will have in the future, especially since my warranty was conveniently up just a month before I started having these problems. I would like to be E-mailed back with some information on what I can do. Can I declare this car a lemon and make them buy it back from me" I have corresponded with Ford via E-mail and it has gotten me nowhere. Please help us!!!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 242004

Focus 4-cyl

The left rear door would intermittently open when making a turn while driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the left rear door actuator. The right rear and front locks were inoperative as well. The doors would not unlock by remote or key insertion. The doors had to be manually opened from within the vehicle. The radio had an internal defect.

- Webster, NY, USA

Jun 152003

Focus

When driving at an undetermined speed, the consumer heard a popping noise coming from the rear driver's seat. The consumer noticed that, the instrument panel lights would flick on and off. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealership for inspection.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Jun 052004

Focus 4-cyl

Gauges in dash along with the rest of the electrical system cuts in & out while driving. Now, car will not start but displays same problems while attempting to start vehicle.

- Apo, NY, USA

Apr 062004

Focus 4-cyl

While driving at 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The driver tried to restart the vehicle, but was unsuccessful. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and the mechanic could not determine the problem.

- Griffith, IN, USA

Feb 122004

Focus

While driving vehicle stalled, and the engine check light illuminated. Vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where the mechanic did an inspection and found no problem.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Nov 282003

Focus

While driving vehicle unexpectedly shut off. Consumer was able to restart vehicle and drive to the dealer, who indicated that computer failed.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 222003

Focus 4-cyl

On separate occasions when consumer attempted to start vehicle it failed to start. Vehicle has been towed to the dealer, and dealer replaced various computer components.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 152003

Focus 4-cyl

Problems similar to EA02-022. Stalls (enigine shuts off) while driving on freeway or at any speed. Fails to start in driveway or parking lot, then car gets towed to repair shop and car works fine with no problem found. Replaced fuel filter with no effect on problem. Verified spark works and relays are closing when car would not start. Happens very frequently. About once per week. Car now has 58,000 miles on it and problem started to occur around 32,000 miles. Please fix this is dangerous!! stalls occur without warning. Stalling this often makes this problem higher risk than an occasional stall.

- Picayune, MS, USA

Mar 092003

Focus 4-cyl

My car has a eletrical or computer problem which al packer Ford cannot seem to fix. I, ve had two recalls they had to take care of so far.when I purchase my car I brought the extended warranty which I thought took care of everything including a loaner car which they nerver even offered for my inconvinece

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 092003

Focus

The driver side front tire had blown out. The passenger side tire was found worn on the inside along with an exposed wire. (these two tires were not of the same manufacturer) other problem were as followed: The button on the cassette player had broken, the adjuster button for the side view mirror on the passenger side had popped off, while driving the over drive light flashed and the vehicle jumped in/out of over drive (transmission problem-per mechanic), the battery light came on, there were no fuses in the wires under the passenger seat, trunk lock popped off, A/C button light on the dash came on when the heat was on, the brakes squealed(since purchase), there was a blind spot on the passenger side mirror, and when the headlights were on, the driver was unable to see other vehicle's due to the seats being too high. Mr scc

- Uknown, DC, USA

Jan 012003

Focus 4-cyl

Ford Focus 2001. Purchased in August of 2001. Has always had problems with suspention. Has been in shop 6 times to be fixed for the same problem. The problem has been fixed several times but the noise keep on comming back. The car has numbers of other problems. The breaks make noise, the windshiels leaks when it rains, and when I drive on the highway the engine stalls sometimes while driving at high speeds.

- Hallandale, FL, USA

Feb 032003

Focus 4-cyl

The consumer has experienced the following: The brakes has an abnormal noise, pulsation when moderate-hard braking, and grinding, the accelerator cable clip-broken, battery and case, belt assembly and idler seal, transmission/pan gasket leak, temp guage-found burnt resister/connector-goes hot and cools when A/C is on and the fan does not come on, the vehicle stalled at an intersection, the exhaust camshaft seal is leaking, the fuel sender works intermittently/inop, and the rear suspension-rear shocks-seemed weak and hears a noise in the rear end when going over a dip. Scc

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 152002

Focus 4-cyl

Engine stalling, check engine light stays on, transmission slips when this happens. When I took the car to the dealer, they have replaced the sensor 3 times.

- Maynardville, TN, USA

Jan 022002

Focus 4-cyl

There is a chemical smell coming from the air conditioner, heater and defroster. I have returned the car to mathews Ford for repair. The technicians smelled the odor and flushed the system out on two different occasions, but the odor returns. I get very poor gas milege, the brakes grind, squeek, and thump, the passenger and driver windows have a loud squeek, the trunk won't close completly unless you slam it as hard as you can,

- Weaverville, NC, USA