8.0

2001 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Focus:

2001 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 032015

Focus SE Zetec

I have the same problem I live with for 8 years. Only in the summer if I drive and stop for a while the engine will not start in 75% of the cases. So I open my hood and wait for 20 to 30 min. Bypassing people ask me if I need help and I answer : No thanks, I just need to wait the engine to cool down for 25 min and that's it. The advantage is I can park anywhere in the summer with an open hood and if the police comes I am showing them that I try to start but I cannot.Then I tell them that there is no point to call CAA because there are only ... about 8 min left for cooling down the engine.

I have never tried to go to the "professionals" to fix it because the problem is not consistent and they will start changing parts after parts with no guarantee for success. I changed some parts myself hoping to fix this problem, but no success so far.

When the problem is ON, the engine can be start with pressing a bit of the gas pedal but as soon as you release it, the engine stops.

For these people having the same problem I would recommend to try to open and close the gas cap for 1 sec when this problem is ON. Let me know if this helps you.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Aug 012011

Focus

The car starts fine in the morning, when its cold, but as soon as you drive for a while and the engine heats up it wont start up again until it sits for a while. Any suggestions?

- , Granada Hills, CA, USA