5.3

2. replace a/c compressor (1 reports)
  3. replace the evaporator (1 reports)
2003 Ford Focus AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Focus:

2003 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Oct 302010

Focus SE 2.0L

a/c is not working. fix the problem by replacing the ac compressor.

- , Malden, MA, USA

Jun 092008

Focus 5 Door Sdn Hb

I purchased a 2003 Ford Focus with 29,800 miles in November of 2007. Now that it has gotten warm I turned the AC on and felt the air was not very cold. I also felt the defrost mode was very marginal during the winter but didn't think much about it. I have only driven 4,200 miles since I purchased it and the mechanic told me the evaporator has a slow leak and needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,150. I have had the car for a total of just 6 months. The mechanic said the entire dash board needs to be pulled and that is the reason for the high repair cost. I suspect that this car had the leak when I purchased it and they may have topped off the AC when they put it on the lot. Now I have a very expensive repair and a very bad taste regarding Ford quality. There have been problems with these AC units before and to have one go bad after only 33,000 miles is pretty bad. Since the car is now out of warranty I am stuck with a very expensive repair. Since I am a grad student with no real income, I am stuck but I assure you that my next car will be not be a Ford. I'll join the rest of Americans who are purchasing Hondas and Toyotas. They run forever and the quality is quite good. I might just top off the refrigerant and sell the damn thing. The poor guy who buys it next will have the same problem and I'll get some satisfaction that he too may come to dislike Ford and join the Japanese band wagon.

- , Toledo, OH, USA

May 152007

Focus ZX3

In addition to the a/c I also needed a new power steering pump that was leaking, the transmission needed repair around 40,000 miles and at about 48000 miles the transmission started leaking.

- , Orlando, FL, USA