2. had to replace - by ford over $960.00 (1 reports)
2003 Ford Focus accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Focus:

2003 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Feb 162005

Focus ZTW 2.0L

The Instrument Cluster Panel started malfunctioning the next year after purchasing the car. The car was purchased off the lot NEW. I reported this problem to FORD and they wanted to charge me $500.00 to fix the problem. I felt that this was WRONG because I did not have the car for two years. The car stay mostly parked in the garage. I once got pulled over for speeding because the speedometer was not registering the correct speed. For the life of me I could not figure out why FORD would not fix this problem with-out asking me to pay for the repair. I decided I was not going to pay for fixing this problem. The car now has 104,000 miles after 15 years. I figured on day enough people would complain, and force ford to make a recall. I see now, this did not happen! Some one told me about this site in which you can make complaints against car manufactures. I just did not no who to turn to. I did however, at any chance provided me, I would encourage any one who would listen not to purchase a FORD product. Setting here writing this complaint will not do any good, or advance FORD position on making a recall. This Cluster panel has also caused me to purchase over the life span of the problem two(2) new batteries. It took me some time to realize this problem was a drain on your battery. The dials work one moment and the next time you focus on the dials they are going crazy. I just don't think Ford should be allowed to get out of making this a recall no matter the number of years that has gone by. There are many people such as my-self still have the car, and wish to find a solution in getting it FIXED!!!!

- , Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Jul 032012

Gauges blinking when I turn car off, then the battery dies. Looking for a solution, mechanic can't find the problem & is baffled.

- , Villa Hills, KY, USA

Jul 072012

Focus V4

One day I get in the car and all of a sudden the gauges started to flicker. The engine started to sputter.

- , Joliet, IL, USA

Oct 052011

Focus 2.0L

My speedometer quit working and would shoot back up, my battery light flickered on, my digital screen went blank and eventually my engine light came on. Had new alternator put in yesterday, battery is about 5 months old. Got my car back yesterday and my speedometer dropped again. Car tends to loose power a bit when speedometer drops.

- , Hamilton, OH, USA

Jun 162010

Focus ES 3.2L

This is the first car I had problems with the "entire display" panel going out - also the first time I had a display panel you could not fix with fuses.

I thought this was a lower end costing car - i.e. that repairs would be more economical - so be careful what you buy!

My mechanic said it was very unusual and he looked online to see if Ford had covered this problem. No. I had to use a credit card that charges 24% annually.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 152010

Focus Se Pzev 2.3L

Miles countor not working so went to ford and replaced the hole dash all replaced its a set gee

- , Pauma Valley, CA, USA

May 192009

Car began sputtering and missing. Fuel injector cleaner in gasoline helped some at first. Then all electrical gauges began going black while driving, then eventually entire car went "black", like somebody had turned off the key. If light on security was not on, then car wouldn't crank. Have been without car for over a week now. Wasn't battery or alternator and electrical checked out okay when tester hooked to fuse panel. Also, all gauges would pin wide open when you cranked the car. This is a bunch of crap!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

May 262009

Speedometer and odometer randomly go to zero and return to normal. May be associated with slight road bumps.

- , Hartfield, VA, USA

Feb 092009

Focus 2.0L Spi

This is such an annoying problem because I have to be very careful around school zones since my speedometer does not work. The most aggravating of all is the fuel gauge not working so I have to guide myself by the tripometer when I reset it after fueling up. As long as I don't forget to reset it there should not be any issues with getting stranded with 4 kids. It has been one probem after another with this car. I always get the oil changed as recommended, recently had the sparks plugs and wires replaced along with the ignition coil.

- , Laredo, TX, USA

Mar 102008

Focus SE

Whenever I get gas and fill the entire tank, my needle goes to empty and my yellow gas light stays on until I have driven 43 miles. The the needle goes back up and the light turns off.

I have started to use 200 Miles on the trip meter as my cue to get gas because twice now my needle has shown a little less than half a tank, but my car has been out of gas and died in my alley as I attempted to pull out of my parking space.

- , Greeley, CO, USA