1. replaced clutch (3 reports)
  2. fix transmission seal (1 reports)
2003 Ford Focus clutch problems

clutch problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Focus:

2003 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Sep 162015

Focus ZTS 2.0L

no complaints about my Focus. Love my car. Replaced clutch at 416000 miles and two weeks later replaced water pump. Although I spent about $2000.00 total I cannot complain. Bought car in 2005 with about 75,000 miles.

- , Brick, NJ, USA

May 022006

Focus 5 Door 2.3L I-4

Have Huyndai Elantra with 162,000 miles original clutch

Had Kia Sephia for 165,000 miles original clutch

and all my cars but one are MT

So when clutch started to slip going uphills at 26,000 miles, and car was not drivable at 36,000 I was really stunned - and again CLUTCH is not covered by warranty they claim it is WEAR item just like brake pads - well the brake pads were less than 1/2 worn when the clutch failed !!! FORD just can not make a clutch that works......

- , Sandy Valley, NV, USA

Mar 192008

Focus LX

Clutch cost $1000. Parts on this car are expensive German parts and all parts, including flywheel had to be replaced. I have never replaced a clutch before $140,000 and I have driven manual cars all my life.

- , Palmdale, CA, USA

Jun 212007

Focus 4cyl

I was on a long trip down to mid-cal and the clutch started slipping! I was able to get it home and to the mechanic, and I figured I was gonna spend like $500... but no... the clutch alone was $900!!! They said it failed due to the transmission seal leaking onto the clutch so the seal also had to be replaced for a grand total of $1100. A three year old car should not be having the clutch replaced! I am the original owner, so I knew I still had the 100,000 mile warranty on it... but no... the clutch is a "wear and tear" part and not covered.

- , Dorrington, CA, USA