2003 Ford Focus lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Focus:

2003 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 212016

My car lost all electrical power, but was still running then finally it died. I lost all lights and electric battery was dead so I bought new battery then it happened again, so I bought new alternator because old alternator was bad, then new alternator died within a month. Same problem, then I went online and found a forum about the hatch back Focus and its wiring problem inside the protective sleeve. So I peeled back protective sleeve and sure enough there were exposed wires just like the thousands of posts from other people, this is very dangerous luckily I was able to pull my car off the road before it died, but with severity of this problem there needs to be a recall for this problem.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Dec 012013

When riding down the road the doors will automatically lock by themselves. The steering wheel has locked several times over the years. When I bought the car used, it came with many keys. Well, this time when it locked, the steering wheel locked and the ignition locked and I had to get it towed from smithfield nc; approximately an hourly from my home. The mechanic can not get it unlocked because the steering wheel has to be turned to unlock it, vice versa, and the steering wheel is locked. Also the lighting is very poor with the head lights and I see this on all the vehicle for that year and make as I ride down the road. My car is parked because I cant afford to fix it. I have found many complaints about this steering and ignition lock issue. I am wondering why this vehicle has not been recalled for the issue. It is a hazard. I have contacted the Ford manufacturer concerning the matter and was told that they can't assist me with it because my car has no warranty. Also, there was a recall on the real door lock. Ford dealership informed me that it was repaired by team Ford dealership prior to me owning the vehicle; I informed him that the problem was still a issue getting the rear door to lock securely at times. He informed me that it could only have been fixed once under the recall. These issues have occurred repeatedly since I bought this vehicle in 2009. They all put me at risk of great danger.

- Warsaw, NC, USA

Mar 302012

Rear center mounted stop light failed and the trunk latch mechanism would operate while driving. The license plate lights failed shortly thereafter. The wiring harness has failed at the trunk lid junction. Wires are shorting together causing erratic operation.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Nov 102010

Both rear tail lights have melted the bulb socket and the light housing. My local Ford dealer says this is not a problem and he has never heard of this happening. The vehicle's charging system is putting out about 15.5 volts to everything electrical he also says this is not a problem. Also while driving the car the cabin fills with the smell of burning rubber also again I was told this is no problem.

- Hannibal, MO, USA

May 152010

Focus 4-cyl

2003 Ford Focus SE 4 door sedan -- right rear turn signal socket has melted to tail light assembly where it cannot be removed. Both tail light assembly and socket have to be replaced. Left rear appears to be damaged also, but bulb is not out yet. Is this a fire hazard? it does create a problem because it's taken my garage and the Ford dealer 3 weeks to find the correct socket to fit the tail light assembly.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 222007

Focus 4-cyl

2003 Ford Focus wagon, tail lights melted both sides where you replace the bulb, cannot replace the brake, running, turn, bulb because you cannot pull the bulb housing out of the tail light assembly. Ford service dept. Said to long on the brake pedal $160 ea.

- Hudson, FL, USA