8.3

2. replace ignition (13 reports)
  3. hammer to key while turning it (9 reports)
  4. drill out and replace lock cylinder (7 reports)
  5. buy a new keylock (2 reports)
  6. 3-n-1 oil on key and a tap worked! (1 reports)
2004 Ford Focus accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Focus:

2004 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 222012

Focus ZX5 2.8L

MY DAUGHTER WAS STUCK AT 11:30 AT NIGHT BY HERSELF AND HER KEY WOULDN'T TURN TO START HER CAR.. SHE IS A STUDENT AND JUST MOVED TO VEGAS WITH NO FAMILY HERE... HAD TO WAIT TILL 12:00AM FOR A TOW TRUCK TO TOW MY VEHICLE TO FORD WHICH ENDED UP COSTING MY A F@CKING $425.00 THAT I DIDN'T HAVE!!!!! IVE READ ONLINE THAT FORDS BEEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS AND I'M DISGUSTED THAT THERE HASN'T BEEN A RECALL ON THIS PART.. THERE'S NO REASON WHY AN IGNITION CYLINODE SHOULD BE GOING OUT IN A 2004 CAR... I WOULD'VE BEEN PISSED IF SOMETHING HAD HAPPENED TO MY 20 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE THAT YOU GUYS CANT SEEM TO FIX.. FORD NEEDS TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!! I'M PISSED THE F%CK OFF!!!

- , tulare ca, -- Please Select --, USA

May 232012

Focus LS 3.2L

Ford needs to do a recall on this problem. I have found several Focus owners that have had the same problem

- , Frankfort, KY, USA

Jul 202012

Focus

I read this site. Than I called triple A....Had a new ignition in and problem fixed in two hours. 265.00 total cost 100.00 covered by AAA.

Fix the issue and move on. Happy kids, happy dad, happy outcome. (minus a few $)

- , Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jun 232012

Focus

Putting the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn over,so someone told me to bang the key in the ignition with a hammer ,that worked for awhile but had to have the ignition replaced at 300.00 .I heard a lot of complaints about this so Ford get your act together and stop ripping people off.

- , Cambridge, NS, canada

Nov 212012

Focus

The problem comes out of the blue and caused panic in both my daughter and I because it happened to both of us. Thankfully, we were able to get it to start and get it home. I looked it up and see it is a faulty part and am glad I didn't call the dealer. I don't have money for this repair! I am probably going to go the locksmith route, but it sounds like it may only be a temporary fix! So much for dependability huh? I'm not in a position to sell the car or buy a new one and we already share vehicles, so doing without isn't an option either! I hate not being able to do simple fixes myself, but I can't handle opening up the steering column and risking getting it apart and not being able to fix it!

- , Northfield, NJ, USA

Oct 122012

Focus 2.0L

Just out of the blue the ignition wont turn and of course it was when my wife was gonna take our 2 year old to an important doctor app. I'm just thankful it happened at home not someplace else. I will NEVER buy another ford again. problems started at 20,000 miles just after the warranty expired. Its just living up to the famous reputation of "found on road dead" "f,ed over rebuilt dodge"

- , Poulsbo, WA, USA

Nov 202012

Focus LX 2.1L V4

ignition lock won't turn with key. Known problem by Ford that they do not correct yet costs a lot of money to have repaired.

- , Amherst, NY, USA

Jul 112012

Focus LS

The ignition lock problem affects a lot of Focus owners. But the part is not on recall. I don't know how much its going to cost for something Ford knows is a problem. The dealer said he'd give me the price when the work is done on Monday, 7-16-12. Meanwhile, i filed a claim with the insurance company.

- , Reading, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Focus SE 2.0L

this should be a recall item, too many focus owners have the same problem

- , Ft. Laudrdale, FLORIDA, USA

Dec 312011

Focus ZX3 2.3L

Daughter's ZX3. Parked in WalMart pking lot in not so good section of town. Got in car to leave. Absolutely could not turn key over in ignition. This is the second ZX3 we have had this to occur on. Knew fix cost to be approx $300.00. was determined not to pay that again. Left car on lot overnight. Worried. Read these posts for a second time. Decided to try one more time b4 calling locksmith. Took 3-N-1 oil and a screwdriver. Put a good amt of 3-n-1 on key. Put in ignition. Jiggled, attempted to turn, etc. No luck. Waited a min (for oil to lube tumbler) then gave a firm tap to end of key (while in ignition). Turned key, Holy crap! It worked. This process didn't work w/ our first ZX3. Major headache and cost on that one (locksmith screwed up steering wheel).

- , Pickerington, OH, USA

Aug 232011

Focus ZX 2.0L

My wife attempted to start her car but the steering wheel locked and the key would not turn. She called the dealer who advised it probably was the "tumbler". on advice of a tow truck driver who didn't want to move the vehicle she called a locksmith. Meanwhile I ruled out the fuse. Locksmith arrived fully aware of the problem. He quickly removed the ignition switch (tumbler), removed the "bar" which has two tiny springs that push it up. The springs fail, bar stays up, switch will not turn. Removing the bar does not affect security as the key has a chip which is the only key that can start the car. Locksmith showed that a flat blade screw driver would not work as well as a Ford key from another vehicle. Repair took barely a half hour. Definite malfunctioning part but removing the bar is a better repair than installing a new ignition switch with the same inherent problem. use a locksmith (mobile) though. They know what to do with the right tools.

- , Old Chatham, NY, USA

Jun 292011

Focus ZTS 2.3L

Drove all over the county the night before - no problems, no hint of what was to come...

Next morning, climbed into my car and spent the next 15 minutes beating on the steering wheel, jiggling the keys until my fingers just plain hurt, etc... Gave up, went back inside and stole my husbands car for the day. (Thank God he was out of town on business, right?!) Came home later and continued the good fight in anticipation of my brother (who's a mechanic) stopping by and putting me to shame in 15 seconds of climbing in to my car and starting it right up. HA! Never happened. He tried and tried and tried. I asked him to climb out and let me try something. I climbed back in and smacked the key, HARD. It worked. Fired right up. Every time we take the key out of the ignition, we have to slap it really hard again to get it to work (else it just wont' turn). Brother took it home to his shop to tear it apart and see what can be done. Everything on the internet suggests that a ignition replacement is in order. Not looking forward to paying 4-500$ for this repair. THIS IS DEFINITELY A SAFETY ISSUE!!

- , Oberlin, OH, USA

May 082011

Focus

Thanks so much to the guy who said to coat the key in oil and tap with a hammer. My 20 year old son "tapped" and bent the key more than it was..so I laid it on the driveway and gave it a good bash. ( it is Mothers' Day and I am a mom..so I hit it good ;-))

He gave me a dismissive look...;-(( and tried again! IT WORKED. So I said "Here is your AAA card, a hammer and a small bottle of oil. ) We love this car. It has been great. No complaints.

Sometimes we just have to kick the Coke machine. Marian in Vermont

- , S. Burlington, Vermont, USA

Feb 222011

Focus

What the crap!! The problem is the OEM Supplied ignition cylinder made by HUF. Ford has known about this issue forever and refuses to issue a recall. When the dealer replaces the ignition, they usually install the same stupid faulty ignition causing you to revisit this pain in the butt over and over again. They call it repeat business. Mechanics don't have the tools or parts to solve this quickly or correctly, and they try to fool you with silly ad ons like extra keys you don't need and re-programming, telling you it has something to do with your onboard security system. It's BS

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 082011

Focus SE 2.3L V4

The ignition had been difficult for about 2 weeks in turning over. I would have to jiggle the key a few times but after five minutes it would start. I tried powdered graphite as was suggested. But finally, one day at home for lunch it wouldn't turn no matter what I tried. I called Quirk Ford in Quincy, MA and they said to have it towed to them. I asked if this was an ongoing problem with the Focus and they had no idea. I felt this was a Ford defect as the car has low mileage and this should not be happening. It cost me $446.92 which I could not afford but needed the car. Quirk Ford said there was nothing they could do about but did offer a 10% goodwill off of parts and labor. They suggested I take it up Ford Consumer Service 1-800-392-3673. Before I called Ford Consumer Service, I checked on-line to see if I was the only one with this problem.

Much to my surprise, there are a lot of us. When I spoke with Virgil? he knew nothing of this problem and said there were no recalls but he would note my problem on my record should a recall occur I would be notified. It was a kind of "so sad, too bad" type of thing. Said there weren't enough complaints for Ford to do (care) anything about. I would like to see this problem exposed.

- , Weymouth, MA, USA

Dec 242010

Focus ZTS

I guess this happen frequently. I had problems with this car since day 1. I will be selling this car and never buy a Ford again.

- , Manteca, CA, USA

Mar 082011

Focus SE 2.3L

I thought I would never have to replace this ignition again. Went to Sacramento in February with this Focus. Car was wonderful on the trip. Came home and 2 weeks after we got home, replaced the 2 year old ford battery. Now I am looking at replacing the ignition again. Will call a local locksmith from the yellow pages. Want to get ride of this car, but what else is out there?

I'll never listen to the advisers at Ford and will not buy another one.

Update from Jun 26, 2012: I bought another car, not from Ford. I "sold" this focus, with 130,000 miles on it and she gave it to her grandson. This cute little problem now lives in Palm Springs!

- , Rancho Bernardo, CA, USA

Jan 102011

Focus 2.3L

The problem that I have is: When I put the key in the ignition the steering wheel is locked. The key will not turn! This has happened about three or four times in the past two years. I was able to rock the car back in forth those other three or four times and the steering would unlock and the car would start. I really don't know if that solved the problem or not because the car is having the same problem and all the rocking back in forth has been unsuccessful! It looks like that a couple of other people have had the same problem. What was your solution to fix this problem. Thanks EdY

- , Vista, CA, USA

Dec 182010

Focus LX

This is my 18 yr. old dtrs. car and we have loved it since we bought it 2 yrs. ago used. Perfect car in every way until Sat. and the key started sticking w/out warning. We were able to jiggle it 3 different occasions and took out on our 350 mile trip not sure what was wrong w/ it. Halfway on our trip for Christmas w/ one of my other dtrs w/ us, ( I have 4), we stopped to go potty and when we came back out it was completely frozen and could not be budged. Since it was a Sat. no Ford parts/service places were open period, couldn't get a rental since it was a Sat. and we waited 30' for a tow truck. We then, all 6 of us, had to pile into my husband's 1996 B2300 Mazda truck w/ over 170,000 miles on it & only seats 5 legally and drive for another 3 hours that way. I did have it towed to the nearest Ford dealer and found out today they want to charge me $631.75 for a new ignition and key!!!!! Ridiculous! This is so unfair it's not even funny. Something has got to be done by Ford to fix this problem. I am soooo sick over all of this and now have to drive 3 hours one way again to go pick it up and bring it home myself b/c I can't afford to have it fixed this close to Christmas.

- , Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Dec 242010

Focus ZX3 2.3L

This was absolutely ridiculous! Such an inconvenience on Christmas Eve none the less. It took me over two hours to get any type of turn with the key. The worst part about it is I know a hammer isn't always going to work and I am going to have to pay out of my own pocket to replace this stupid obviously faulty part. Who has money to be wasting especially in this economy. I can honestly say I will NEVER buy a Ford again! Worst cars EVER. Ford needs to stop denying that there is any type of problem and issue a recall because it is obviously faulty and dangerous for the consumer to be stranded in possibly a bad area because they can't get their car to start.

- , Riverside, CA, USA