8.6

2. replace transmission (2 reports)
  3. (1 reports)
2007 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Focus:

2007 Ford Focus Owner Comments

May 062012

Focus

Came through a toll booth on the Suncoast Pkwy in Fl. Would not shift into third gear. The Over drive light started to flash. I had to drive home in second. It was horrible. Thank God it was a Sunday (not too much traffic) We had a transmission garage check it on the computer. No codes. It would be $400 just to pull the transmission and check it out. It will cost anywhere between $800 and $3000 to fix the problem. Called Ford on the very off chance it was still covered under warranty. They said bring it in. They could have asked for the vin# over the phone but didn't. Get to Ford on Friday May 11th. Now they ask for the Vin#. They wanted $80 to diagnose. I mentioned another problem, they wanted another $80 to diagnose that problem. Of course the car is out of warranty by about 6 months. Took it home and we will get it fixed ANYPLACE other than Ford. I will not have them work on my car, EVER!!!!!

- , Spring Hill, FL, USA

Sep 022011

Focus 1.6L

I have a ford focus and its been working fine, we only purchased it january 2011, we didn't take extra warranty, we didn't have the cash, plus you would think with an 07 car you wouldn't need it. well anyway last Friday 2 sept, i went to pull up on the drive, and the stick got stuck in drive. It wouldn't let me move it or take the key out, its bloody annoying and dangerous, if i was to reverse and the stick got stuck and couldn't get back into drive could be a nasty accident

- , Uk, Lincolnshire, UK

Dec 152010

Focus SE 2.0L

Well as stereotypical as newer Fords come, I should be able to keep this to a minimum. But a couple of weeks ago, my "car" started shaking and I thought "Oh I need to get the front end looked at". And then I was going up a hill and when it went into third gear, it immediately downshifted! (JUNK!)

And as for the front end, NO! I spent 125 dollars on the front end getting an alignment, rotation and balance to still have the problem. I took it to a transmission shop and they were saying something about the third gear differential and having to fix the obviously plastic transmission and it costing upwards of 2 grand.

I'm a college student and I need to drive an hour each way. And tuition is crazy as it is and I have no job. Seriously this is the WORST car I've ever had and I had a 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE with like 4 major sensors recalled. If you want a car to drive to your neighbor's house 5 feet away, buy a Ford. If you want a car for reliability and fuel efficiency and one that you KNOW won't crap out at 71,000 miles, buy a Honda or Toyota. Ford sucks and whoever designs their flawed, flimsy, $5 dollar plastic cars needs to be shot and castrated because paying $14,000 is $13,999.99 overpriced.

- , Kettering, OH, USA

Jan 012011

Focus 2.0L

I purchased a brand new 2007 Ford Focus ZX5 in December 2006. Without any warning whatsoever, the transmission began slipping. On January 1, I was driving home on I4 and when the car switched to 4th gear, the car would not accelerate and it began to shudder. The O/D Off light turned orange and began to flash. I took the car to Auto Zone and they ran the diagnostic on it, which told them that the shift solenoid needed to be replaced. I called my local Ford Dealer and they told me it would be $1100 to replace. I found a local transmission repair place and he told me he would do it for $300. Awesome. I dropped my car off and he ran the diagnostic on it which also said the solenoid needed to be replaced. Two days later I received a phone call from the mechanic. The solenoid did not fix the issue. He took apart the transmission and found massive failures on most of the rear end of the transmission. The entire thing needed to be rebuilt for a grand total of $4,000.00. Needless to say, I was not going to pay to fix that. Additionally, I have replaced two alternators in a six month period. I could not see the logic in pouring money continuously into a bad car. Because I still owe $11,500.00 on the car and it had such high mileage, I could not find a dealer to accept the car as a trade. I am having the ford repoed and I am now driving my shiny, reliable 2010 Toyota Corolla. I will NEVER buy a Ford EVER again and I will tell everyone I know to do the same.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 222010

Focus SE 2.0L

My car was not quite three years old and only had around 50k miles when it began not shifting correctly. I took it to the local ford dealership since my ext warranty is through ford. After three times of checking it, they finally discovered the problem. They had to spend two weeks replacing my transmission. I can't believe that three years old with 50k miles, I had to replace the transmission. Thanks ford for a quality car! I won't ever make this mistake again!

- , Bay Minette, AL, USA

May 012009

Focus SE 2.0L

I despise this car with a passion. Since I have owned it, I have been hit twice. Add to that I have had my key stuck in the ignition, the shifter replaced, the transmission "fixed", then the transmission replaced, the water pump replaced & the locks & windows work intermittently...and I still smell antifreeze, so there may still be an issue with the water pump. I have been in the shop 3x since last may or june & i have had enough. The lemon law only protects you if you have the SAME problem multiple times, not multiple problems multiple times. I am really not in a position to buy a new car, but I feel like I better get rid of this one before the warranty expires!

- , Westerly, RI, USA

Nov 162009

Focus ZX3 2.0L

Trans shifts in and out of gear, slips, slams into low gear at high speeds. Dealer argues nothing wrong with car. After 3rd yelling match tech finally drove the car enough to have problem happen (20 mi.) Now dealer wants to replace electronic part...I think they need to put in new trans...can't be good after slamming into 2nd gear at 70 mph, slipping and all the other things its done! Ford says they don't have problems with their Transmission....I have ran across over 200 reports on trans problems on the Focus.

Battery went dead the first winter..cells shorted.

Service manager said the Transmission problem was related to me not having the fuel filter replaced at 15,000mi What a dumb ass! he should run for congress!

- , Mannford, OK, USA

Jun 052009

Focus ZX5 S/SE/SES

I started have problems with my tramsmission about a month and a half ago complaining that my car (engine/ transmission) feels like it is dragging and no power. That it is having problems shifting gears and then it fells like it will just jerk and stop running. Took it to the ford dealer's and explain the problem to them. The first three times I took it in (a week's span) they kept telling me if I do this it should fix it. This all included oil change, change of spark pulls, filter change, transmission fluid service. Mind you, I keep up with my maintenance on my car and $660+ later. Took it back for the third time explain to them that it still have the same problem, but getting worse. I left it at the dealer's and they call me back telling me that the machine they put it on is nit reading that anything is wong with it. The dealer's hooked up a device stating called a tracker, took the tacker back so they could read it. The same day I am driving on 31W/Dixie hwy and my o/d light starts flashing and I can't go faster than 30 mph. Called the dealer's and told them the problem. The comment I got was "now we should be able to read what is wrong with it". Got my car back on Friday and Monday 50 miles later it is doing the same thing. I had to have a person from the service to ride with me so I could have them feel what it was doing. I was told that it was kicking into over drive too soon, andthat it was down shifting by it self.

I am a single parent and if I can't gat to work then I could loose my job. I have had to get a rental car thee times already.

- , Etown, KY, USA

May 112009

Focus ZX3

After buying my ZX3 used from the dealer where it was sold new and traded in, I returned complaining of a "shudder" when shifting in and out of OD on hills. Their tech road tested it, found no problem and serviced the tranny. Now, eight months later, things went from bad to worse in a hurry! On a long hill the cruise was set at 58 MPH when it raced like in neutral with your foot to the floor. I shut the engine off so the engine wouldn't blow. When the RPM's came down I turned the key back on and was surprised that the engine was driving the car down the road. The "OD Off" light was flashing orange instead of it's usual green color. The owners manual says this indicates a severe problem and continued driving can result in big problems. The next day, I nursed it to the closest Ford dealer.

- , Sharon Springs, NY, USA

Jan 252009

Focus

Driving down the road and engine started roaring, as if car was in neutral. Would not catch in upper gears. Resolved quickly at first, but on my way home it was really awful. Could barely go over 30 mph most of the way. I was about 30 miles from home, mostly country driving. I had my thee kids with me 11 yrs, 18 mon, and 7 mon. We did make it home but, it was scary, it is really cold in Illinois now, it this piece of crap were to break down. I have to go to work this AM an have no way to get there, will have to have the car towed. I'm a single mom/foster mom and I don't need the extra expense and headache!!!

- , Waterman, IL, USA