3.2

2010 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Focus:

2010 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 272016

Focus

I have changed many parts on my 2010 Ford Focus SE 2.0 and has not changed anything. I started out with not idling and after spending a few hundred dollars it has not changed anything. Very dangerous. When you come to a stop it shuts off. The person behind you thinks your going to proceed and you don't do to car shut off it is a very dangerous position your in. I did read that there are many of theses mystery problems with theses vehicles and Ford cant even figure it out. If this is a safety issue with many than why has this not been corrected by Ford. Does so many people have to be hurt before it becomes a recall? I have also heard that this happens under warranty and up to 100K. Verry sorry!

- Newport Richey, FL, USA

Aug 112010

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled while the throttle body control and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 192016

Focus

Car does not accelerate properly at times. When pressing gas pedal car does not move accordingly. Stalls at random times on highway.

- Nazareth, PA, USA

Apr 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked and lost acceleration while driving at various speeds. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Apr 122016

Focus

Ford Focus (2010) recall - my mom is 80 years old and needs her car to work properly. She has a 2010 Ford Focus with shuddering problems and ideling problems.when she excelerates the car is very sluggish and slow to speed up. When she is in traffic the car idels down and almost shuts off. Please let me knoiw what I can do about this.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Mar 152016

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. When the vehicle was stopped, the engine cut off. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed and the throttle body assembly was cleaned. The failure recurred within three weeks and the vehicle was taken back to the local dealer. The dealer made the manufacturer aware of the failure and was informed that the issue was normal. The contact notified the better business bureau and was referred to NHTSA. The failure mileage was 82,500.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 032016

Focus

Doors lock and wont unlock at time trapping you in and the car goes thur tires like crazy but I'm really worried about the doors traping you in the vichle at times

- Maysville, MO, USA

May 012014

Focus

Vehicle idle fluctuates from 500 RPM to 2000 RPM while stopped at light or stop sign. Engine kills id idling too long or while turning steering wheel when parallel parking. Grinding sound and excessive engine vibration while accelerating on highway about 2000 RPM. Dealer and independent mechanic determined it is a failure with the throttle body. Dealer claims it is not covered by warranty. Mechanic disagrees. These issues have been occurring for the last 18 months approximately.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 012015

Focus

The engine mounts are failing at 35,000 excessive rattling in the car.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Aug 142015

Focus

When key turned and removed from ignition, engine does not shut off.

- Media, PA, USA

Jan 022015

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. When the ignition was started, the vehicle vibrated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Focus 4-cyl

When the car comes to a stop and is idling the engine starts to shake, the wrench light comes on and when I try to accelerate, the car has no power. If I turn off the car and turn it back on, the problem is solved until I come to another stop. The dealership cannot figure out what is happening and they say the diagnostic tool reports no codes.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Focus 4-cyl

The engine hesitates, at various speeds, it seems like it cuts out, but there is no loss of power, everything functions. It happens at irregular intervals.

- Lodi, OH, USA

Nov 222014

Focus

My 2010 Ford Focus will frequently experience a very rough idle, and will almost stall while stationary. This happens almost immediately after slowing down. My local Ford dealer seems to be aware of the problem, they said they can replace my throttle body with an "updated version that doesn't stick". if this is a systematic safety problem, a recall should be issued.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 052013

Focus

I started feeling a vibration when stopped and when driving, about 1 month before I took it in to the dealer. The vibrations started getting worse as time went by. The service tech at lithia Ford fresno, ca immediately said that it was a motor mount. Fortunately for me it was still under the power train warranty and not the time one. Still I had to buy 2 front tires which cost $270.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to respond. In addition, the check engine and wrench warning lights illuminated intermittently. The contact would have to shut the vehicle off and restart to resume normal function. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Holtwood , PA, USA

Sep 012014

Focus 4-cyl

While driving at 50 mph engine shut off and after stopping and attempting to restart the engine would only sputter. After a few minutes it did restart and as we were 120 miles from home this event reoccurred a dozen or more times with the check engine light illuminating after 7 instances of stalling. The repair shop we took it to found that the throttle body was defective and made the repair. As some deal was apparently made between the manufacturer of the vehicle and the government Agency responsible for assuring my safety in order to maximize company profits at my expense I am none the less making a report.

- Coos Bay, OR, USA

Oct 182012

Focus 4-cyl

I first started to notice a problem about 2 years after owning this car. Bought it brand new from the dealership. One day after an oil change I was sitting at a stop light and the car felt like it was about to sputter and die out. I revved the engine and once I started to move it didn't seem to be an issue. I took it into Ford and they told me it was the A/C unit circling on and that this was normal. I thought it was weird since this was not something that happened since day one, but instead started happening after 2 years of owning the car. I went back and forth with the dealership that there was definitely something wrong with the car. The guy that was working on my car told me at that point that he thought it was the throttle body and at that point it was still covered under my warranty but that if he were to replace it and there was nothing wrong with the one that came out of my car, I would be charged for it. So, being someone that doesn't have an extra $700 laying around, and believing the dealership, I chose to go on driving my car as it was. Today was the most recent incident. I was driving down a very busy highway, going close to 60 when my car decided to turn off today. This has now happened 5, yes 5 times. The first time it happened I was slowly turning a corner and my car just died. Completely died. Check engine light came on, wrench light came on, and oil light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road and started my car again. How many complaints need to be filed before action is taken"???? there is obviously a problem not only with the Focus models but with all of Ford throttle bodies! is this going to be another Chrysler monstrosity"

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Oct 052013

Focus 4-cyl

This has been a re occurring problem that the throttle body sticks causing my vehicle to go into "limp mode" causing the car to almost loose power. This has had several close calls now, it does get better when cleaned but is needing cleaned more and more often.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Apr 072014

Focus 4-cyl

I drive approximately 1 hour each way to work and back. During this trip I am spend a lot of time on two lane major access roadways with speeds of 55 mph. Driving at a steady 60 mph throughout most of my trip, I had a sudden loss of power in heavy traffic and the orange wrench that signifies "limp home mode" came on. Since half of my trip is on roads that are rural in amenities, I was unable to limp to the nearest Ford dealership or auto parts place the offer testing services. I coasted to the side of the road and restarted the vehicle which could be done under a roll as it is a 5spd. The car restarted immediately and ran perfect the rest of the way home (about 25 miles). This vehicle ran fine for three more weeks and then began doing the same thing again. One of the things I noticed the most is that it does not seem to do this over 60 mph as one day a week I am traveling at more highway speeds (70 ish) and it has never done this under that type of load. This had been an off and on occurrence since April, yet has become more common. I borrowed a scan tool from my neighbor, drove the car with it plugged in, and today came up with two codes in less than 11 miles of driving. P2135 and P2111 which when I contacted my Ford service technician came out to be throttle body codes. To date it has happened 27 times while driving, has not left me stranded, yet, but has caused rapid deceleration in some heavy traffic. Car does reset itself and runs fine for a while right after, however I am concerned that this could become much more of a hazard as time goes on. Currently has 74,500 miles on car.

- Gilford, NH, USA