2010 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Focus:

2010 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 282014

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while traveling at any speed, the vehicle was idling rough. In addition, there was a loss of power and the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Glade Spring, VA, USA

Aug 212014

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated on its own and the check engine warning and maintenance wrench indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 28,800.

- Bridgeport, NE, USA

Aug 072014

Focus 4-cyl

Similar to man of the complaints on this vehicle; it ended up being the throttle body issue. My mother-in-law was driving and it suddenly wouldn't accelerate. A car almost rear-ended her. She was able to coast to the side of the road. She noticed that the "wrench" light was on. She started it up and "limped" to the Ford dealer. About $700 later, the throttle body was changed. There is only 30,000 miles on the vehicle and she bought it brand new. She is quite upset about having to pay for the repair, and I don't blame her. This should be part of the power train, or under the extended warranty coverage that was applied to some of the other Ford and Mercury vehicles that had the same throttle body issue. How many incidents or complaints does it need to take to have Ford apply the same coverage to the Focus" do they have to wait till people get badly hurt" this is ridiculous. Please take care of it.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Oct 182012

Focus 4-cyl

I first started to notice a problem about 2 years after owning this car. Bought it brand new from the dealership. One day after an oil change I was sitting at a stop light and the car felt like it was about to sputter and die out. I revved the engine and once I started to move it didn't seem to be an issue. I took it into Ford and they told me it was the A/C unit circling on and that this was normal. I thought it was weird since this was not something that happened since day one, but instead started happening after 2 years of owning the car. I went back and forth with the dealership that there was definitely something wrong with the car. The guy that was working on my car told me at that point that he thought it was the throttle body and at that point it was still covered under my warranty but that if he were to replace it and there was nothing wrong with the one that came out of my car, I would be charged for it. So, being someone that doesn't have an extra $700 laying around, and believing the dealership, I chose to go on driving my car as it was. Today was the most recent incident. I was driving down a very busy highway, going close to 60 when my car decided to turn off today. This has now happened 5, yes 5 times. The first time it happened I was slowly turning a corner and my car just died. Completely died. Check engine light came on, wrench light came on, and oil light came on. I pulled over to the side of the road and started my car again. How many complaints need to be filed before action is taken"???? there is obviously a problem not only with the Focus models but with all of Ford throttle bodies! is this going to be another Chrysler monstrosity"

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Oct 052013

Focus 4-cyl

This has been a re occurring problem that the throttle body sticks causing my vehicle to go into "limp mode" causing the car to almost loose power. This has had several close calls now, it does get better when cleaned but is needing cleaned more and more often.

- Xenia, OH, USA

May 082014

Focus

I was driving on the freeway when my Focus suddenly lost power and speed despite my foot remaining on the gas pedal. I had to get over to the shoulder suddenly and narrowly missed being hit by a semi. The car would not start back up immediately and a check engine / wrench light appeared. I lost power several more times on my drive to work. It was a nightmare. The car would not accelerate beyond 55 anymore until fixed. It turned out that the throttle body assembly went on the car. It cost $700 to fix the issue despite the car having only 38,000 miles. This problem should not occur on a car with such low mileage. This was a very dangerous problem!

- Troy, MI, USA

Mar 302014

Focus 4-cyl

My wife was driving on the freeway, and the car stopped responding to the gas pedal suddenly. The light with the wrench image came on also at that time. Somehow she was able to pull over safely on the shoulder. She turned the car off and after she turned the car back on the warning wrench light was gone. And the vehicle responded to the gas pedal fine. She had to drive in the right lane cautiously with the emergency lights on...

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Feb 212014

Focus 4-cyl

Driving on the freeway is most left lane and completely lost accelerator power, check engine light came on. Had to cross about 3 lanes to get to the shoulder before complete loss of momentum.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 022014

Focus

Experiencing rough idle and complete loss of power at normal speed, engine check and wrench light comes on at time of issue. Had a diagnostic check at advance auto and error code P2135 throttle position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation and also error code P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. I believe this to be a safety issue due to complete lose of power at normal driving speed and just enough time to pull over or almost getting hit from behind.

- Williamson, NY, USA

Nov 152013

Focus 4-cyl

I drove with several friends for over an hour to a football game. As we were approaching the stadium going 35-40 mph, the car suddenly lost acceleration and a wrench light and check engine light came on. We pulled over, turned the car off and on again and were able to go about a half mile before the same thing happened again. I had it towed to a Ford dealer where they found that the throttle body had failed. I was very grateful this happened on a residential street and not on the very busy highway I had been driving on for the last hour! from looking online, I found that this is a common issue with late model Ford and that an investigation had been opened by the NHTSA at least for Ford escape and Fusion.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 022013

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated that the accelerator switch would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure.the approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Manteo, NC, USA

Sep 102013

Focus

Error codes coming up P2135 and P2111 loses power and runs rough.

- Burgaw, NC, USA

Oct 052013

Focus 4-cyl

While driving my car, I was stopped at a red light and when it turned green I was unable to accelerate. The wrench light was on and I couldn't move my car. I had my grandchildren with me and it was very scary to say the least. It has happened on the highway where I was unable to accelerate and had to put on my hazard lights and reset the car. I have seen online there are similar issues with the Ford Focus and there should be a recall. I am lucky that I and my grandchildren didn't get seriously injured.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving 50 mph. The failure recurred several times. The wrench and the check engine warning light illuminated after the failure occurred. The contact was able to restart the engine and the vehicle resumed normal function. The contact performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the throttle control position sensor. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 43,325 and the current mileage was 44,000.

- Stanwood , MI, USA

Jun 042013

Focus 4-cyl

It's not just the Mercury Milan and Ford escape having the throttle body sensor/assembly issue. I was driving down the 694 interstate in Minnesota when my car went into limp mode and the wrench warning light appeared on my dash. I was able to find some shoulder and pull over, turn my car off and restart it and make it home. I brought it to automation in white bear lake, mn. The following day and spent $800 for the replacement of the throttle body in my Ford Focus ses. Had it gone out 8500 miles sooner, it would have been covered under warranty. Three days later, the same part on my wife's 2010 Mercury Milan premier went out and is being replaced today. Luckily she purchased an extended warranty so all we have to pay for that one is $100, but what a coincidence, eh? I think not! I know you are investigating some Ford autos from 2010 for this problem, but I think you better open it up to all Ford products from 2010. Thank you!

- New Brighton, MN, USA

Mar 052013

Focus 4-cyl

On March 5th, 2013 I was traveling home at 65 mph and the car jerked for a brief moment and no warning lights came on. Traveled another 20 miles and again it jerked this time the control module/transmission light (wrench icon) came on and the car began to go into limp mode. I was able to pull off the freeway and shut the car off. After a few second started it back up and reset the computer. Was able to get back on the freeway and make it the next 30 miles home and another 10 miles the next day to the dealership with no issues. I was informed on March 6th that the throttle body was bad and has to be replaced. This seems to be an issue with the 2010 Ford Focus her in reading the other complaints. Current mileage on the car is 78,000 but entire engine was replaced at 58,000 miles (under warranty do to a timing failure at 65mph destroying the motor!!!

- Delafield, WI, USA

May 162012

Focus 4-cyl

Car suddenly went in to limp mode. Was able to limp to corleys Ford in grants nm. Dealer replaced throttle body at my cost. $382 for throttle body and $327 labor.

- Quemado , NM, USA

Oct 252012

Focus 4-cyl

This vehicle is part of the national fleet owned by the us postal service. The driver was trying to come to a complete stop at an intersection. The engine began revving as the driver was applying the brakes. The additional acceleration made it impossible to stop causing the Focus to collide into the rear of the vehicle stopped ahead. The Focus engaged the stopped vehicle once, pushed it ahead, then engaged it a second time. The vehicle was taken to a Ford dealership where nothing was found to be wrong. This incident is consistent with past complaints filed with NHTSA for same model year Ford Focus vehicles.

- Erie, PA, USA

Sep 252012

Focus

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the technician stated that the throttle would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 132012

Focus 4-cyl

Bought Focus new with 49 miles on it on Dec 1, 2010. I have had premature tire wear, and issues with stalling/ jumping. I was driving home from an event this past weekend and had been on the road 45 minutes when the car started acting like it was going to stall, then started making a high pitched squeal noise. I managed to make it home, and after arriving home the car kept wanting to jump while parked. The idle would jump to 3000rpm then back down to 1000rpm, then rise slowly holding steady at 2000rpm for about 5 seconds and then relax. After all of this the car had a strong coolant smell, as well as high condensation dripping out of the tailpipe. Had car towed to dealer, and after 3 days they could not find a problem. After reading the 105 complaints about 2010 Focus I know I am not alone, and now have just decided to ditch the Focus.

- Brown City, MI, USA