2010 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Focus:

2010 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 132016

Focus

My 2010 Ford Focus that I bought back in December of 2015 is having a latching problem with the back passenger door. It will not latch shut when parked. Tried greasing the latch but it didn't help. This has been going on since I purchased the car.

- South Burlington, VT, USA

Jun 132016

Focus

Vehicle stalled at highway speed without warning. The vehicle restared after cycling the ignition.

- Lake Mills, WI, USA

Jul 042016

Focus

I believe these two items are related: Within the last year or more the car did not have smooth, constant acceleration. The vehicle surges slightly off and on while at highway speeds regardless of whether the cruise is being used or not. We took it to Ford and they cleaned the throttle body however the problem reoccurred periodically. Also, within the last month, the vehicle stalled twice on different days while operating at highway speed with no indication that it was going to happen. At the same time the "wrench" light would illuminate. The vehicle would start after pulling over and cycling the ignition. We again took it to a Ford who again cleaned the throttle body. Were told that they were pretty sure the throttle body needs replacement but they cannot replace it because the "wrench" light does not stay on long enough to give a code. We were told that we can replace it at our own cost but they won't replace it at their cost without a code (which does not register).

- Lake Mills, WI, USA

Apr 102014

Focus

The back doors lock and U can't unlock them no matter what U do sometimes the front passengers door will lock to but that one U can unlock by pulling handle what happens if my little ones are in the back and I can't get to them this is not safe or smart

- Union City, PA, USA

Feb 032016

Focus

Doors lock and wont unlock at time trapping you in and the car goes thur tires like crazy but I'm really worried about the doors traping you in the vichle at times

- Maysville, MO, USA

Dec 012015

Focus

Parked put shift in reverse. Car dies and wrench light comes on 8-10 tries recently.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jul 012015

Focus

Door locks working intermittent to a point of not unlocking all together. Passenger doors will not open, from the inside, when the door is locked, with child protection lock disengaged. This is a dangerous situation if a fire or traffic accident should occur. Checked online and numerous complaints of the same issue exists on Ford products.

- Monmouth, OR, USA

Apr 282012

Focus

I have complained about my door locks on the back of my car for the last two and a half to three years and no one listens to me. It is a safety hazard for me and my grandchildren. I can't take them with me because the locks don't unlock. Not a safe thing if a accident happened. Couldn't get anyone out of back seat. Please help me. I know I'm not the only one with this.

- Drexel, MO, USA

Sep 072015

Focus

Air conditioner failing to cool. My car has 33,000 miles on it. I bought it new in Oct 2009. I am told it will be about $1,600 or more to repair the ac. This is not acceptable on a car with 33,000 miles on it. I am told the dash, steering column and console have to be removed to repair. I bought this car to last me the rest of my life. The factory warranty is for 36,000 which obviously I am under but it is five years old. I can't afford to fix it on my ss disability income and can't live in Texas without ac.

- Garland, TX, USA

May 152015

Focus

The rear passenger door latch had been sticking on occasion, making it difficult to open the door with the outside handle. In mid-may, we began having trouble getting the door to latch when being shut. At times it would latch after several tries, or when being slammed extremely hard. In mid-July, the latch stopped working all together. We now have the door strapped shut from the inside making it impossible to drive this car when taking more than one passenger, and the door ajar alarm sounds each time you turn a corner.

- North Hampton, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Focus

In order to start my daughter's used 2010 Focus the key needs to be turned to the idiot lights and wait until the needles move on the temp and fuel guages and the chime comes on then crank it and it usually starts first try but it can take 3 tries at this procedure. It can be scary. The 2010 manual on page 175 says turn it 3/4 (idiot lights) and wait then crank but the 2008 manual said that too on page 150 but it wasn't ever necessary. 3 Ford dealers say they never heard of the problem before.

- Marblehead, MA, USA

Apr 122014

Focus

Suspect throttle body control. Wrench light warning indicator came on. Vehicle would not accelerate. Could here engine rev but would not go faster. Pulled to side of the road. Stopped car. Checked fluids. All fluids fine. Waited 10 minutes. Restarted car. Car fine. Wrench light continues to reappear after 10 to 15 minutes of driving. Goes away after car off for several minutes then restarted.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 272012

Focus

In medium/heavy rush hour traffic, the engine speed began to rise while the vehicle was coasting (foot off the accelerator) in 3rd gear. I shifted into neutral, applied the brakes and was able to avoid striking the car in front of me, but the engine speed continued to climb. A blip of the throttle eventually halted the engine speed rise and the rpms slowly returned to normal. The vehicle seemed to run normally for the following couple minutes and I was able to exit the freeway safely, stop and restart the car. After a quick examination, I found nothing in the driver's footwell that could've interfered with the pedal's operation. This is the second occurrence in which the vehicle has accelerated on its own volition. The first incident happened with cruise control engaged on a rural stretch of interstate. I stopped the vehicle by shifting into neutral, quickly pulling over to the shoulder and turning off the ignition. At the time I assumed it was a temporary malfunction with the cruise control system; the car acted normally after being restarted. During this most recent incident, however, the cruise control wasn't engaged at any time during the trip.

- Hutchinson, MN, USA

Nov 152010

Focus 4-cyl

After purchasing car paint came off under passanger front door, about an inch long and 1/4 wide. At 32000 miles paint was coming off of hood 1 inch wide and 1 inch long.

- Wind Gap, PA, USA

May 142011

Focus

I was going to E. grand river @ posted speed other car made left turn failing to yield and struck into my car, went over curb and struck brick foundation. My right hand bone broke, had surgery to fix. My 2010 Focus is totaled.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 282010

Focus

2010 Ford Focus SE driver's side floor mat is not properly and securely retained in position and may slide up and under the accelerator pedal causing "stuck" pedal condition. The retention system consists of 2 posts mounted in the carpet and 2 corresponding holes in the mat. Most other cars use a metal hook in the carpet that clips to a hole in the mat. The Focus mat retention posts in the carpet are not strong enough to hold the mat in position. The mat easily comes off the posts during exit of the vehicle and then migrates up the floor kick during future ingress and egress. There was no incident in my situation but today I had to pull the mat down when it had migrated up the floor kick to almost touching the pedal mounting frame. If the mat "rolled up", it could catch and hold the pedal and not release when the driver removes his foot. Tw*

- Dearborn, MI, USA