2015 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Focus:

2015 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Sep 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving at an unknown speed, the instrument cluster became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that an unknown wire was disconnected. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Jul 012016

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and lost power. As a result, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The air bags deployed and smoke fumes were noticed. The passenger received a neck injury from the seat belt and the child bit their tongue upon impact. The contact was also injured and transported to the hospital by ambulance. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 08/30/16

- Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

May 202015

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving at various high speeds, the temperature gauge displayed that the vehicle was overheating. The vehicle lost power and the check engine and high temperature warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where unknown sensors and wiring were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jun 142016

Focus

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled and shut off intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired. The mechanic performed a software update for the ECM module. The contact stated that the remedy did not completely repair the failure because it continued to occur intermittently. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Dec 202015

Focus

After stopping to get gas on I-80 at a service area in Indiana with the car in park and not running the engine caught on fire. The car is a new vehicle, still under warranty with about 5,000 miles on it. Ford determined that the fire would not be covered by warranty. They offered no proof, and stated that we could not appeal the case.

- Monroe, NY, USA

Sep 082015

Focus 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. After removing the key from the ignition in the off position, the engine remained running. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V436000 (electrical system). However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 11/06/15 the consumer stated a month after the recall was performed, the vehicle would not turn off when the key was removed from the ignition. Updated 12/09/15.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jun 242015

Focus 4-cyl

I traded this vehicle in from a 2012 Ford fiesta, which after three years had become a rolling disaster, from the faulty transmission to the always-dying battery and two recalls. The dealer assured me the 2015 Focus was redesigned and much better. I'll admit it drives much better, is roomier, and no jerking in the transmission like the fiesta's "automated manual" transmission did. But now when the vehicle gets hot, I smell an overwhelming smell of something burning, almost like a gasket, rubbery type smell. I don't know if it's brakes, engine oil, what. I told the service dept. About it, but they said with July they were short of help with vacations, and since the car only had 500 miles on it, I had "plenty of time" on the warranty, not to worry about it. They said to let it break in at least another 500 miles. So far I've not had smoke, starting or stalling problems like others have reported. I have broken in lots of brand new cars in my lifetime, and never, ever had a burning smell. I contacted Ford customer service and got the usual nonsense of "we'll escalate this issue with your local dealer, " and like the fiesta, nothing.....updated 11/13/15 the complaint has since been resolved. The local for dealer performed a thorough check of the vehicle and adjusted the climate control. Updated 11/17/15.

- Pound, VA, USA

Jun 192015

Focus

I had just charged my car to 100% before leaving work. Later that day I was driving home from work at 40 mph and I didn't think anything was wrong until I made my first right turn. I attempted to turn on to a street that was going to lead me to the 210W freeway. As I tried to turn the steering wheel jerked and then froze up and wouldn't allow me to do a full turn. I was forced to make the widest turn possible. After the car straightened out it was going smoothly again. However, because I am 8 1/2 months pregnant I felt scared and didn't feel comfortable to enter the freeway. So, I turned around to take the streets home. As I continued to drive, the car completely shut off my radio and said "turning off audio to safe battery". I was confused as to why I would get this message because I had approximately 97% charge. Then everything minute or so the radio would come on and go off. Not too long after continuing on the streets the car made a continuous alarm sound followed by a message that said "pull over safely. Right now!" thankfully, I was able to pull over to the curve which was, however, painted red and turned on my emergency lights, which happened to flicker the entire time. Keep in mind it was later in the evening so it was difficult to notice the emergency lights on. I called roadside assistance and my husband. I then called the dealer and they advised me to have the car taken to them. Roadside assistance showed up about 90 minutes later and towed my car to the Ford dealership.

- Sylmar, CA, USA