2015 Ford Focus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Focus:

2015 Ford Focus Owner Comments

Aug 132016

Twice pulling on to a busy hwy my car has stalled/shuddered, and lost power. Both times heat gauge sky rocketing. The last time my car turned off entirely, and had over heated. However it had only been in operation for about 5 min. Both times on a busy hwy. First time I took it in, they said it was a module update. Two weeks later it happened again and worse. I was able to limp my car into the dealership after letting it sit for 5 minutes. They replaced gaskets, and blew them on their test drive. Replaced a hose and gaskets again. My car was returned to me two days ago, and less than 50 miles later, the check engine light came on. The coolant was half full, and in the course of roughly 30 minutes of operation it had gone through half of the coolant. Yet there is no trace of a leak on the ground. In addition to all of that, on the first fix the ac had cut out twice which since they have claimed to have fixed. With all of this, it had created quite a fowl smell in my car as a result. My car at this point, my car has been in the shop 21 business days (not including saturdays.. which they work), the issues started mid August and it is now October 7th. They offered to give us the car back and that it was "just an air bubble". despite the check engine light being on and excessive loss of coolant. My car has been in motion each time it has had an issue. The first issue I was just pulling on to the hwy, so was just attempting to accelerate. The second time I had reached the hwy speed of 55 mph. (separate incident, they also had to replace a faulty seatbelt).

- Salem, OR, USA

Aug 152016

Purchased mid August 2016. We have put approx 750 miles on it in that short time. 1st incident, my wife stopped and while the car was in drive rolled backwards on an incline that resembles level. 2. from stop attempting to accelerate it jumps, stutters and barley moves. We have already had a near collision in an intersection due to this. Additionally, while getting on the on ramp it is so sluggish at times, that we are not even at proper speed to get on a freeway. Unsafe, purchased from enterprise who told us nothing about this at the time of purchase. Enterprise is allowing people drive away in these piles. If there hasn't been deaths, there will be. Enterprise is not advising customers of this because they have many in their fleet they must move out. Shame on them. Note: The following from the enterprise web site. Worry free ownership. Our job doesn't end when you pull off the lot. For your continued driving pleasure, we offer a unique combination of benefits to keep you happy down the road. They boast about a 12 month/12,000 mile powertrain warranty (limited) so you don't have to worry. They will tell you all of the issues we be taken care of. This is a lie because Ford doesn't have the answer yet.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Aug 222016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving the vehicle at various speeds, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate when the accelerate pedal was depressed. The dealer diagnosed that the clutch in the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was able to drive the vehicle home with no failure. The following day, while driving 15 mph, the engine revved to 100 mph without warning. The RPM was at 8. the contact stated that the vehicle was unsafe. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Stewart, VA, USA

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and lost power. As a result, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The air bags deployed and smoke fumes were noticed. The passenger received a neck injury from the seat belt and the child bit their tongue upon impact. The contact was also injured and transported to the hospital by ambulance. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 08/30/16

- Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

May 202015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Focus. While driving at various high speeds, the temperature gauge displayed that the vehicle was overheating. The vehicle lost power and the check engine and high temperature warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where unknown sensors and wiring were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Apr 102016

My 2015 Ford Focus' transmission started to "shudder" with a jerking motion when accelerating at low RPM. Also I've experienced a loss of power/delayed acceleration when I press the gas pedal, especially when going up a hill, causing the car to not accelerate for about two seconds when I need it. There was a message "transmission overheating", then "press brake pedal" when I was idling in heavy traffic on the freeway. I had the car towed to serramonte Ford where I bought it, and bill the service person told me that "Ford Focus' are supposed to shudder, but that it probably had a bad double-clutch that needed to be replaced, and that there was a 12-week back order from the manufacturer, and that they would reprogram the computer and that should help the shudder problem as a temporary fix. I had an appointment that I waited four days for, then he told me the day of the appointment that it would be 3-7 days before he could look at it. When I called bill three times 3days in a row to see if it was fixed and him ignoring the messages, he called on the 5th day saying my car was ready. I went to pick it up and he said it still might have a little bit of a shudder and that it was normal and that it was safe to drive my car. He only listed that I complained of a shudder on the work order, never put down that any repair parts were ordered or on back order, and made it look like there was only an inspection along with an oil change. I drove my shuddering car home, perturbed at they're inadequacy. I received an E-survey from the dealership and I gave them the poor grade that was warranted. Within 30 minutes, service director henry called saying he'd have the clutch in only 8 weeks to appease me, but that I'd have to keep calling for updates. I don't feel safe driving it, fearful of it stalling when I need power critically. Faulty car that needs recall among many focuses.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 092015

The car lurches forward, experiences delayed acceleration all the time, delayed downshifting and vehicles that have trouble stopping. It is scary when I go to pull out and the car just revs and does not move I step on gas it will slowly go, then it will just rev. Several times I had to pull to side of shoulder to get out of the way because the car was not accelerating. Scary when my kids are in the car. It does it on a weekly bases. I have taken it in several time but they say sorry if they cant see the car doing it they cant fix it. This is a safety hazard when the car does not accelerate to move.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Dec 202015

After stopping to get gas on I-80 at a service area in Indiana with the car in park and not running the engine caught on fire. The car is a new vehicle, still under warranty with about 5,000 miles on it. Ford determined that the fire would not be covered by warranty. They offered no proof, and stated that we could not appeal the case.

- Monroe, NY, USA

Jan 112016

The Ford Focus stutters at startup when the engine is warm the car gets worse. The car will stall and is extremely dangerous. Ford has no fix they just tell me it is a manual transmission in an automatic car. I have tried premium fuel nothing helps. This is my daughters first car and I am afraid for her life

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Dec 282015

I was driving on a major road at speeds of 50mph when car lost all power to the wheels and transmission slipped. I was leaving a mall parking lot and accelerating when the car jerked dangerously and stopped accelerating causing me to loose speed and control of the vehicle. Probable cause: Transmission failure or disconnect.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 122015

I bought this car less than 6 mos. Ago. It has had 2 recalls so far. The transmission has a problem. It jumps and acts like it is going to die. Twice when I have started it there was a knocking like the engine had something wrong. When I changed the gear the knocking quit. When I run the heater there is a burning smell. I took it in and told them I was afraid to drive it and they did the recalls then told me they couldn't make it do the other things I had mentioned. I ask them to put me in something else and they said I would have to pay $400-$500 a month payment. I believe Ford knew of this problem but continues to sell them so when people complain they can charge them more money. I am a 55 year old woman that drives 120 miles a day back and forth to work. When I get off work I drive home in the dark. I am afraid to drive this car!!! Ford won't do anything about it! someone is going to get killed in this car because of the engine hesitation. I picked it up and now it is worse! when I turn the corner it does that jerking thing now like it is going to die. I hope you can help protect consumers. The jerking happens when you are driving, taking off and now even when you are turning. The knocking noise the first time was when I was backing up and the second time was when it was in park and I had just started it.

- Lone Oak, TX, USA