2008 Ford Fusion body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Dec 282015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. When attempting to exit the vehicle, the door handle fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Feb 122015

The chrome on the interior driver door handle is peeling away on top creating a razor sharp edge. This sliced my finger.

- Cottrellville, MI, USA

Jan 162015

Passenger door latch/lock broke, unable to open door from the inside. I have own this Fusion since 2008 this is the third time a door latch/lock has broken. The previous two times have been on the driver side, first time mileage was around 40,000 second time was around 80,000. Believe this can be a safety issue is the car is into a car accident or is force into the water the driver or passenger would be unable to escape the car.

- Los Fresnos, TX, USA

Dec 182014

Driver's side interior door handle failed and would not open door. Had to power window down and open from exterior. Would be a safety issue if person needed to exit vehicle quickly. Noticed there were several complaints under both "latches/locks" and "structure" that were the same or similar. I didn't check other model years, however since the failed part fits several other model years I would think there would have been many other complaints on this issue.

- Topeka, KS, USA

May 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife parked her 2008 Ford Fusion in our garage and as she tried to exit the vehicle the inside left driver's door handle would not open the door. She tried to open the door several times and almost panicked. She was trapped inside. Fortunately her car is equipped with a microsoft sync system and she was able to call me inside the house from the garage. I came to her and was unable to open the door from the outside because the driver's door lock did not automatically disengage when she shut the key off. She rolled down the window and I reached inside to test the inner door handle and lock. The lock was stuck and the handle just moved freely back and forth as I pulled on it. Finally, after wiggling the inner lock back and forth many times I was able to disengage the door lock. I then could open the door by using the outside drivers door handle. She got out of the vehicle and I proceeded to examine the door mechanism. I removed the cover plate and saw that the plastic actuator arm on the inner end of the door handle had broken in two and part of it had gotten caught up in the locking mechanism. So I came inside and searched on-line to buy a new replacement handle. During my search I discovered that people all across the United States are claiming that this seems to be a common problem with several different years of Ford Fusion. Fortunately for my wife she wasn't involved in a major accident and couldn't get out of the vehicle when the malfunction occurred but I believe it's just a matter of time before something tragic happens as a result of this potentially defective part. I feel that even thought the vehicle has high mileage this part should never fail. This actuator arm is just a very, very, thin piece of plastic and I suspect that all four inner door handles of the Ford Fusion are of the same design.

- Star, ID, USA

Aug 032013

Both front interior door handles have broken.

- Athens, TN, USA

Nov 052012

The youtube video Ford Fusion door latch problem by oldfredsshed 3:22 minutes describes the problem exactly I'm having with my inner doors latches on my 2008 Ford Fusion. The doors handles are breaking and I think this is a design flaw. I googled the problem I'm having with my door handles and many people are having this same problem. I have contacted the Ford Motor Company and they say this is not a recall or warranty problem. Citrus Ford wants me to pay $265 just to replace one handle and I think this should have been a recall item. This is a safety issue. In an emergency and you can't open the door and with power windows and no power this could be a matter of life and death.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Aug 152012

When opening the driver side door, a small piece inside broke off. The door could no longer be opened from the inside. The door knob had to be replaced. When I bought the replacement part, the Ford dealer said that he sees this problem a lot with Fusion.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 112011

The inside driver door handle broke on the inside of the door and I was unable to open it from the inside or lock my driver door.

- Walterboro, SC, USA

Jun 032011

Used interior handle on a Ford Fusion 2008 in a normal manner, and it snapped off. The car can no longer be opened from the drivers side. After a search online, it appears this has happened to numerous people.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA