2008 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Jul 042016

Fusion

I have replaced the broken bolt on the idler pulley for the second time in 6 months. This is an annoying issue with this engine. Fortunately it happened on statrt up so we were in the driveway. Had it happened on the highway, the loss of power steering could have easily resulted in a fatal crash. The bolt is poorly designed and needs to be larger and or harder. If this is not fixed someone will eventually be killed. How many deaths does it take to warrant attention by Ford"?"

- Port Ornge, FL, USA

Apr 222016

Fusion

Cracking and creaking underneath when temp outside is above about 70 degrees, very loud, possible struts, when turning wheel left or right also very loud creak or pop. I looked online and there are 100's of these issues reported. This has to be a recall, safety issue

- Medina, OH, USA

Feb 102016

Fusion

I had my 2008 Ford Fusion SE checked out due to the rear tires were going bald. I have put 6 tires on the rear til the bodyshop put it on a light and said there was a bend in my knuckle assembly and my lower rear passenger control arm was slightly bent. My steering wheel turns to the left while driving and the wheel are straight. My back to tires needless to say bow out, and I continuously buy tires because the parts and labor are over $1000. Also the passenger airbag cover is loose and im afraid tht the airbag will pop while im driving.

- Florence, SC, USA

Sep 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

Belt idler pulley attachment bolt broke off while negotiating a corner, detaching the pulley from the front of the motor causing sudden loss of power steering assist, alternator charging, and engine cooling. Ford Fusion equipped with the 2.3L motor. This issue has now happened multiple times, with multiple parts replaced each time in an attempt to fix the underlying issue. A quick search online reveals this to be a very common problem with the Ford/Mazda 2.3L 4 cylinder.

- North Branch, MI, USA

Nov 152012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph, there was a loss of power steering without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The technician informed that the idler pulley bolt fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The part had been replaced a total of four times on separate occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Apr 022012

Fusion 4-cyl

Over time the vehicle developed gradually more slackness and free play in the steering response. I initially attributed the condition to tire wear and vehicle age. Eventually the condition became so serious that I was certain it was not normal, so I decided to try and diagnose the cause. Upon investigation I discovered that the steering rack assembly was moving around on its attachments in response to steering inputs. I checked the mounting bolts that secure the rack to the sub-frame and found that two of the bolts were loose enough to be turned by hand and the third was broken and was just sitting in the hole. If I had not intervened, the condition would almost certainly have progressed to the point that the steering rack completely detached from its mounts resulting in total loss of steering control.

- High Point, NC, USA