2009 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Jul 282016

Fusion

I purchased the 2009 Ford Fusion for my 16 year old daughter's first car. It only has 68K miles on it so I was confidence that it would be a reliable car. After diving it for about a month the car started stalling and it was never consistent. About once a week the car would stall sometimes when pulling away from a stop sign or just driving at normal speeds. Then also sometimes it would surge. She said the scary part was when it stalls you can't steer or brake the car because of no power. After taking it to the repair shop several times they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The dealership said it was probably the throttle body but could not say for sure and there was no recall on that part. This is unbelievable the car is not safe to drive and there is no recall! also, the floor mats where constantly getting stuck on the gas pedal and the car engine would race up and make it almost impossible to stop the car. So, the nice Fusion mats are now in the garbage after almost killing my daughter. I would like to see Ford take responsibility for these defects and fix them!

- Saline, MI, USA

Jun 252016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact heard a loud clanking noise directly before the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed as needing a new motor. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Haslett, MI, USA

Jun 242015

Fusion

My daughter was driving her 2009 Ford Fusion to college orientation in mankato, mn. The car went into "limp" mode on the highway due to a defective throttle body assembly and ultimately stopped running. The issue surrounding Ford's lack of commitment is that the throttle body defect is a known issue; reference consumer satisfaction program 13N03. The service manager and Ford customer service said my car did not fall within the parameters of the replacement program. I have a case number from Ford involving the defective throttle body, but nobody has followed up with me and I assume the case is closed. The service manager said he did not know why my car would not be covered since it's the same defect that's addressed by their customer satisfaction program.

- Savage, MN, USA

May 182015

Fusion

Smart junction box and transmission have been replaced. It's a new car with 37000 miles.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle hesitated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body was defective. The contact believed the failure might be related to a recent crash that occurred; however, this was not confirmed by the dealer. The failure mileage and the VIN were not available.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Mar 042015

Fusion 4-cyl

I have twice now experienced a catastrophic engine/power train failure while at speed and in traffic. While driving and without any prior notice, my car immediately shuts down. During which the engine stalls, power brakes fail, and steering wheel locks. Luckily I was in a position in traffic where I could quickly engage the hazard lights and allow plenty of reaction time for other drivers to avoid me. After the car has stalled and lost all power, that is when the warning lights (engine and wrench) come on the dash. Each time it has taken no less than 5 minutes, while sitting in heavy traffic, to restart the car. When the car restarts it will drive like it did prior to the failure but the check engine light will remain on. This time I was able to bring the car to the local Ford service department to have them diagnose the problem. After a full day of trying to recreate the issue (25 mile test drive) their recommendation was to take the car and continue to drive as normal until it happens again. After researching this site and several others, I have found that I am not the only Fusion owner who has experienced this problem. I brought several documents to prove the issue has been recognized by Ford (csp 13N03) and there is a fix for the problem. Due to the bureaucratic nature of the conflictual relationship between the automotive industry and government entities, I am now left with a blunt refusal to remedy the issue with my car from the Ford dealership because I do not own a 2010 Fusion but rather a 2009. A model year prior to what Ford recognizes has issues but I in fact have twice experienced the exact symptoms that Ford outlined in their csp 13N03 document. At the end of the day I still have a very unsafe vehicle that is not fit to be on public roads because of the mass safety risk it poses to it's occupants (my children) and other motorists.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

Business name: Ford Motor Company. Customer service division P.O.box 1904 dearborn, mi 48121 bus phone: 866-436-7332 email: Website: Ford Motor Company. Com names and addresses of any other businesses involved in your complaint: Transaction date: 12-15-2014 amount in dispute: N/a explanation of complaint: I was involved in a car accident on December 15th 2014 the car I own is a 2009 Ford Fusion sel.my accelerator got stuck my car I went ofnline to see if there was any recalls on the vehicle and there was one I contacted for customer service.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 182014

Fusion

While driving my Fusion which has had no mechanical issues up to this point slammed into 3rd gear followed by a rapid decrease in power and speed. The check engine light and wrench came on and pretty sure was in the" limp home" mode. Took it to get the codes read and P 2104 and P0607 were present.

- Rayville , MO, USA

Oct 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

2009 Ford Fusion - while driving, all of the lights on the instrument panel lit up. Driver pulled over to safe area & shut off vehicle. Vehicle would not restart. Lights, radio and fan still worked. Vehicle was taken to garage for assessment & repairs - the main power control module and the transmission control module were bad, battery was at 9 instead of 12 - all component's needed to be replaced.

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Nov 302012

Fusion

I'm getting a check engine light and a wrench symbol on my dashboard. When I take it to get checked, it says 'faulty throttle body' or throttle control actuator. This causes my Ford Fusion to go into 'limp home' mode. This is a mode that causes that car to accelerate no more than 20 miles an hour. The problem with this is that it happens when I'm in the middle of traffic, traveling at speeds of 55-70 miles an hour. When this happens, I fear for my life. When I contact auto care centers, they all tell me that this is a problem that has to be handled by the dealership. When I contact the dealership, they don't know what I'm talking about. I think that this throttle body is defective and after some online research, I see that I'm one of many Ford owners that this has happened to. I would like a them recall this defective auto part. I hope no one has died from their car suddenly going into 'limp home' mode.

- Garden City, GA, USA

Oct 292014

Fusion

TL-the contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without notice. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the electric throttle body was replaced. The contact was made aware of NHTSA action number: PE13003 (engine) and stated that the vehicle displayed the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 215,000.

- Kentwood , MI, USA

Aug 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

On 8/10/2014, after pulling out of the driveway, we noticed a reduction in acceleration on our 2009 Ford Fusion. The check engine light came on and upon taking the vehicle to autozone, the codes P2112 and P2104 showed up indicating a defect with the throttle body. Upon researching the internet we found the NHTSA action number PE13003 which indicated that there was a problem with this part on 2009-2013 Fusion and that Ford would cover the repair when the problem occurred. We took the car to southway Ford in san antonio on Monday, 8/11/2014. On Friday, 8/15/2014, the Ford service advisor indicated that the problem truly was the throttle body, but we were told that Ford would not pay for this repair. We have brought this to the attention of the service manager at southway Ford and to the corporate customer relations department at Ford. Obviously, there is a defect in this part, which causes a potential life-threatening safety hazard but Ford does not seem to acknowledge it and take responsibility for correcting the problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 282014

Fusion

While merging onto a freeway my car experienced a sudden loss of power while driving. Shortly afterwards my check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer to see what it was. It was a bad catalytic converter I was told that it would take 4 weeks to get one in. Meanwhile it being my only car I asked and was denied a loaner vehicle from Ford Motor Co. And I was told that the vehicle was still safe to drive as long as I did not let it goo too long without the repair. I called back 4 weeks later and was told that it would be an additional 4-8 weeks as there were "no" parts to be found anywhere. This worried me greatly as they even said problems could arise if driven too long without being fixed. So I filed a complaint with Ford Motor Company and was treated like crap by them. They told me they were willing to help but "not" willing to do anything. So I called a local news station who put me in touch with their executive offices where I got the same response. No loaner vehicle and no compenstaion for the extra gas I had to buy as it sucked it down. Whenever someone from Ford's calls me I am lucky to get a sentence in before they hung up on me! thankfully to my contacting a local news station they made enough headway with Ford that my part "finally" arrived today on 07/28/14 but I am extremely upset that Ford would put me in the situation where myself and my family could be in danger by driving an automobile that is not safe. Driving with bad catalytic converters is not safe and could cause all sorts of other issues and the fact that Ford's encouraged me to do so is frightening. This for one along with the GM issues has me seriously thinking of buying a foreign automobile for the first time ever. It was wrong what Ford Motor Company did to myself and my family and I hope that this complaint will prevent them from doing this again in the future!

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jun 222012

Fusion

I was driving down the highway in rush hour traffic at 70 mph when the wrench light turns on the dans and the engine just quit. Very scary so I put on my hazard lights and coasted to the median. I tried to restart the car and the theft lock light started flashing and the car wouldn't even crank the motor. Had the car towed to a local shop it started right up at the shop and there were no codes in the computer the check engine light is on and the message center saya pod data error.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

Engine light appeared, car seemed to chug or lurch or engine felt like it was slipping while driving on highway. That happened a number of time, was told it was because of the severe cold weather. The wrench light would come on and then when I shut the car off it would not come back on for a few days. The mechanic said there were no reports that he could pull from the computer.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Slowed down to turn in a parking lot and car just stalled and check engine light and tool light came on. I had a diagnostic rsn and got code 2104 & 2112 meaning throttle body failure.

- Durham, NC, USA

Aug 292012

Fusion

When driving at a normal speed, the idle of the car quickly drops and you are unable to maintain your speed. You immediately are forced to stop the car, turn it off and let it sit to reset it's self where ever on the road you are. This has happen randomly last few weeks. Just a few days ago it got increasingly worse. Was entering highway off an exit trying to merge. Was unable to get the speed because the idle dropped. Luckily had just enough time to get to shoulder to sit and wait. Had it been few seconds longer would of merged with highway traffic and then car would of came to a quick halt. The diagnosis to this problem the throttle body went bad.

- Willow Street, PA, USA

Mar 082010

Fusion

I was driving to the dealer to have them check a tapping sound coming from the engine that I had heard earlier that day. I made it about 5 miles from home, and the engine had blown, no warning lights, nothing other than the sound that had just occurred that morning. Now I had made it about 90K after the new engine was installed (now at 139000), and again the engine has blown. This time it was a little worse, the car had a sudden increase of power, and then all the sudden there was a loud bang, and a cloud of white smoke followed by smoke coming from the hood and the rear of the car. When I pulled onto the shoulder I looked under the car and saw a piece of the engine fall out and then all of the oil as well. I take very good care of every vehicle I own, the first time it happened the dealership told me it looked like I hadn't changed my oil ever. It was just a sludge.

- Jefferson, MD, USA