CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,920.00

1. replace transmission (153 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 6 of 17)

Mar 302012

Taurus LX 3L V6

I was driving 65 miles an hour down the highway and the car stopped going forward, the more gas I applied, well nothing. It just started coasting, no forward drive motion so I pulled over, well steered over, to the side of the road. Once there, I had no forward gear and no reverse gear, I waited only 20 min. after a call to AAA for John's towing to come and get me, very scary as traffic was whizzing by at 65 to 75 mph with little shoulder to be stopped on, as it was on an incline on a major US highway on a slight curve. There was no warning no indication that there was a transmission and or torque converter problem, upon further research on the internet I find out many many as in the thousands of consumers have had issues with 2001 2002 2003 Taurus / Sable transmissions under 80000 miles. They go just like that, one minute you have a solid driving transmission the next nothing. Ford should have acknowledged this long ago and recalled these faulty transmissions. This car has been properly serviced and maintained with all recommended services by authorized Ford or service centers to present day.

- , Menasha, WI, USA

Feb 242012

Taurus SE 3.2L V6

Was on my way to take my son to the hospital for an ultrasound for possible gullstones, stopped at a stop sign, began to make a left hand turn, engine would not engage. Luckily my husband was with me & he was able to safely push us off the side of the road. Needless to say we did not make the appointment & was stranded on the side of the road for nearly an hour before we was able to find someone to pick us up. Had the car towed to a mechanic only to find out the transmission was going to need to be replaced then had to pay another tow fee to have it towed home because we could not afford to have it fixed. No warning what so ever, have had the car for almost three yrs & never any kind of indication of transmission problems. Could not believe it when I got online & seen SO many complaints about the same problem. What is even more troubling is that Ford isn't doing anything about it! Thank God I have not read any complaints, yet, of injuries or deaths caused by this problem.Unfortunetly I guess thats what has to happen before Ford wakes up & does something. Have never had much luck with Ford vehicles but this one takes the cake. I will never own another Ford!!

- , Holton, IN, USA

Mar 312012

Taurus

i am disabled and my 2003 ford Taurus had its transmission go out without warning leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere at 5 in the morning

- , Sturgeon, MO, USA

Mar 092012

Taurus SES 3.0V6

My husband and I bought this car for my son to get back and forth to college . We own two other ford vehicles including a 2002 Taurus that has 170,000 miles and never had any complaints just the normal maintenance. We haven't even had this car a year and already spent almost $2,000.00 to replace tie-rod ends, front struts, axle shafts, front wheel bearing etc. Of course the dealer offered no warranty on it but they said it they checked it out and there were no issues. We also looked up the car fax reports and didn't see any major issues. While driving to school this past Friday, my son passed through the intersection and tried to accelerate and nothing- he pulled to the side of the road and walked home. AAA towed the car to my driveway where it now sits. Car starts, don't go nowhere- REALLY Ford knew about this problem and never had a recall- I used to stand by Ford vehicles and their quality- now I'm not so sure and being one of many loyal customers for years I believe that they should take responsibility for this problem and fix it at no cost to the customers. Now I have to sink another $2,000.00 or more dollars into it- it cost me more to fix then it was to purchase- that is some serious bullshit!! I will be filing complaints to Ford and NHTSA!! In this economy with gas prices rising and people losing jobs , nobody has this kind of money to fix what apparently has been this model years' problem and Ford knew about it. I would like to continue to buy American vehicles but it is becoming harder to do so with outrageous prices and money it costs to fix- it's no wonder our car industry is going to sh*t!!! Stand up and do what is right FORD!!!!!!!

- , Johnsburg, IL, USA

Sep 102010

Taurus LX

I was disappointed that I had to spend so much money on repairs for this car. This was the last major repair. I got a rebuilt transmission with a one year warrantee. Going into year two and its still holding up. At present its making a lot o noise. Now I think its the muffler thats gone.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Aug 012010

Taurus

Had the cruise control set at 70, going down the interstate, and all of the sudden the engine popped, the RPMs went sky-high making this horrible high-rev sound, and then that's it - no control, no gas, no nothin'. Just coasting in neutral, 5 miles from the nearest exit in the middle of nowhere. Took hours to walk / get help. Got devoured by mosquitos. Glad the wife & kids weren't with me...

Mechanic said it looked like my transmission "exploded" and was surprised there was no fire or more serious control issues associated with it. Said I was lucky. Easy to say when you get a $2000 check to completely replace 200 parts, huh?

- , Brownsburg, IN, USA

Mar 162012

Taurus SE 3.0V6

I was coming from work headed to pick my kids up after stopping to get 30.00 worth of gas for only 6 and a half gallons (just thought I would throw that in there) luckly i was on one of the back roads I stopped at a stop sign and as soon as I took off the car made a sound like it was in neutral when Iooked down and seen it was in drive I tried to keep going and It would barely move so I had to coast into a church parking lot that was nearby it gave me no warning whatsoever my dad has a trailer n came n picked it up so luckly I didnt have to pay for a tow but as for the solution I havent found that out yet but I will be using those numbers to complain I didnt realize until reading these complaints that this problem existed with so many Fords thanks for the info everybody

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Feb 132012

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

63,000 miles, failed transmission. Always took care of it, kept up on fluids and maintenance. UNACCEPTABLE. Drove about an hour on the highway, got off the highway, stopped at a red light. Light turned green, transmission was dead. Same thing happened with an older Ford Taurus I owned. I will never buy anything from Ford again.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 132012

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

Same thing happened to me!! Transmission is a piece of JUNK. Got stranded on the interstate .. My 2003 Taurus just coasted to the side of the road. No drive ..no reverse..and all with no warning what-so-ever. I only have 64K miles on it !!

- , Erie, PA, USA

Apr 152008

Taurus SE V6

CATASTROPHIC MECHANICAL FAILURE = 30,700 MILES.

THAT'S RIGHT! AFTER JUST OVER 30,000 MILES ON THE ODOMETER, MY 2003 FORD TAURUS SE, DIED ON THE FREEWAY OF TRANSMISSION FAILURE.

THE DEALER'S SERVICE DEPARTMENT SAID THAT SINCE THE SERVICE WARRANTY EXPIRED 2-MONTHS PRIOR, THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY REPAIR. I WROTE FORD CORP....NOTHING. THEY DID NOT NEED A GOVERNMENT BAIL OUT BECAUSE OF IGNORING FORD CUSTOMER'S NEEDS.

REALLY! THIS WAS ONE OF FORD'S WORST YEARS FOR TRANSMISSION FAILURES. RATHER THAN RECALLING THIS PROBLEM, THEY WOULD RATHER RUN TV ADS TO ATTRACT A NEW GROUP OF SUCKERS.

THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF US OUT THERE WITH THIS TRANNY PROBLEM. HAS ANY ONE STARTED A CLASS ACTION YET? I WANT TO JOIN!

- , Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Mar 022012

Taurus LX 3.0L

I bought this piece of sh*t new. For what I paid for this car, I feel this should not have happened. Ford claims they had no knowledge of this problem with the 03 taurus, but I know they're full of sh*t and a lot of other things. FMC should be should make good for this,

but we know that the greedy mouth mothers won't.

- , Pottsville, PA, USA

Feb 152012

Taurus

There are so many other owners of 2003 Ford Tauruses who have reported the same problem on this site: failed transmission with no warning! Most people know that teachers don't make a lot of money. Imagine how much less we make when we retire.Therefore, I won't be able to get my car repaired any time soon. Someone told me that F.O.R.D. was an acronym for "fix or repair daily." I didn't believe it because I took great care of this car, and I was surprised when the transmission went out. I guess I should have believed them.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 102011

Taurus SES 3.0L Single

Was driving fine, had just changed filter and fluid three weeks prior. Tried to pull off from stop light and nothing. felt like i was in netural. No forward no reverse. Neighbor said same thing happened to his daughters Taurus and he changed the torque converter and now it drives fine. Ford transmissions suck.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 152008

Taurus SE V6

I'LL GO INTO DETAIL ABOUT MY 2003 TAURUS ON ANOTHER DAY, BUT FOR NOW...GO TO AOL NEWS ABOUT FORD TAURUS POLICE VEHICLES. I POSTED THE TAURUS 2003 TRANSMISSION NIGHTMARE I EXPERIENCED. AND YOU SHOULD TOO. IT'S A HIGH PROFILE SPOT...MANY EYES ARE READING.

- , Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Feb 222012

Taurus SD 3.0L

My friend was driving the car from Amarillo to Canyon when the transmission failed and she almost wrecked on the Highway in between. I just bought the car from Gene Messer Ford Dealer in November of 2011 and this is the second thing go wrong in as few months. It is a nice car but it is a peace of junk.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 022012

Taurus

Same as everyone else, pulled out of work lot (have to cross 4 lanes of traffic-rush hour) got out of drive luckily made it out of two lanes into the midde lane car just quit. No warning at all, driving along car just reved and would not move. Called Ford but since 2003 too old, even though only 52520 miles on the vehicle. Ford said if enough people complain keep receipts you might get reimbursed. My letter will go to Ford about this, National Transportation Highway, and our local troubleshooters, hopefully word gets out and people will send in the complaints. Next car will not be a Ford

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 252012

Taurus LS V6

My mom went to pick up my daughter from school,no problem.Then she went to the grocery store,no problem.Drove home,parked car outside my house,no problem.The next day she went to pick up my daughter from school,big f----ing problem!Car will go into drive and reverse,but will not go anywhere! Its a 2003 Ford Taurus with 57,000 miles on it,surely it is not the transmission.After reading all these complaints,it sounds way to familiar.My wife had a 91 Ford Thunderbird back in the day and the transmission crapped out on it too! I am starting to put 2 x 2 together.Ford makes terrible transmissions that can go out on you at the worst times and places,with no warning what so ever! Ford did not need the bail-out but I sure could use one! Does this car even have a transmission warning light? FORD BLOWS!!!! NEVER BUY A FORD!!!!

- , Tomball, TX, USA

Dec 062011

Taurus

I've been driving a friend of mine's ford Taurus for about 2 months now because my own car broke down a while back. So anyways, about a week ago I had driven to pick my son up from the boys and girls club after work. It had driven fine all the way there and just fine through the parking lot on our way out. But as soon as we pulled onto the road and I hit the accelerator to start speeding up the car acted as if it was in neutral and wouldn't speed up. I coasted over to the side of the road and put the car in park then tried to put it back in drive. It would not engage into any gear whatsoever, not reverse, nothing. The shifter would move up and down easily but would not catch into any gear. The motor was still running fine and the heater was blowing, radio working etc. just could not get the car to move. Fortunately, a guy stopped and helped me push the car back into the parking lot (since we hadn't even gotten all the way past the boys and girls club) it rolled with no trouble when we pushed it. Got it into a parking space and turned it off for a while then restarted it, which it started fine, tried the gears again but still nothing. As of now the car hasn't been towed to a shop yet so I'm not sure what the answer to the problem will be. At first I thought I was bad luck or something because my own car had just recently broke down too but now that all see all of these stories of similar incidents I see that this was bound to happen sooner or later with this car. Its just really unfortunate and ridiculous that Ford hasn't made a recall with all the complaints that have been filed.

- , Fayetteville, AR, USA

Jan 232012

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

Tranny failed on highway traveling around 68-70 mph, I coasted to the break down lane and waited for 1 1/2 hrs for AAA to tow me. No warning, no nothing. This is a major issue Ford has, I could have been killed! Please let me know if there is going to be a class action law suit, count me in! I have no Idea what tranny job is going to cost, but I will let you know.

- , Framingham, MA, USA

Jan 202012

Taurus SW 3.2L

This is quite upsetting as I have found 211 reports on the same issue with my car. I called Ford today at 800-392-3673 to find out if there is a recall based on the high number of failures on this car. There is not. However they told me that there may be in the future if enough documented complaints are reported. SOOO if any of you have not reported your transmission problem to Ford DO IT! Even if you already had your vehicle repaired, if you kept the receipt you can be reimbursed if they finally recall this transmission.

My car has roughly 80,000miles My husband was on the way home and just as he got off the main road and coming up the hill to our house it lost gear. It will go into park, any other gear it revs like its in neutral. There was NO warning this was about to fail. Upon first glance it appears to have TOO MUCH transmission fluid. We have never put any in it. It doesnt leak, or up to this point was not malfunctioning. Levels would be checked when I had my oil checked and there never was a problem. So the initial diagnosis is the pump has failed and is not pulling the fluid through the transmission and that is giving the appearance it has too much fluid in it.

Estimate repair cost at this point are $1,500 to $2000+ not something I would like to spend on a $6,000 car!

- , Clarksburg, WV, USA