CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car that shifts gears & coil springs that don't shred tires. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 2003 Ford Taurus has major issues with the transmission failing. Typically the 2003 Taurus transmission failure costs $2,000 to fix by about 90k-100k miles. Not good.

Adding insult to injury, the 1999-2003 Taurus also has a huge problem with coil springs breaking which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.1

$1,920.00

1. replace transmission (153 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (37 reports)
  4. sitting in drive way trying to figure something out (31 reports)
  5. rebuilt the transmission replacing only failed parts (18 reports)
  6. scrap it! (5 reports)
2003 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Taurus:

2003 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 7 of 17)

Jan 182012

Taurus SES

MY WIFE WAS COMING HOME FROM WORK AT 11PM AND STOPPED AT A STOPLIGHT WHEN SHE WENT TO TAKE OFF THE CAR IDLED HIGH AND WOULD NOT GO BACK IN ANY GEAR.HAD IT TOWED TO TRANSMISSION REPAIR SHOP AND WAS TOLD TRANSMISSION WAS BAD AND WOULD COST ABOUT 1440 -2700 TO REPAIR.I HAD JUST GOT BACK MY 1999 FORD WINDSTAR OUT THE BODY REPAIR SHOP THE SAME DAY AND HAD TO PAY 186 DOLLARS FOR CAR RENTAL.JUST LIKE A LOT OF THESE COMPLAINTS THERE WAS NO WARNING AT ALL.LIKE A LOT OF OTHERS ON HERE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO COME UP WITH THE MONEY TO REPAIR IT.IF ANY ONE STARTS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT PLEASE LET ME KNOW ,I WILL WANT IN ON IT.I THINK FORD SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF THESE REPAIRS.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 272011

Taurus LS 3.2L

Same symptom as most everyone, wifey was a stop sign pressed the gas and nothing,no noise at all,like it was in neutral. when i first bought the car with 14k on it i noticed it really was wound up when you would shift it from park to drive. The wheel hub assembly has been chirping on the drivers side for about 2k miles so i thought maybe it damaged the CV joint. I had the bearings already so i ordered a CV from Gearheads.com and began the procedure. right off it was a pain when i found out that every effing nut had factory locktight from the factory,couldnt get the lower ball joint off with the OTC tool so I had to buy a Taurus adapter for the tool, Cha-Ching,make sure you disconnect the ABS sensor because it aint coming out seperate from the spindle, Cha-ching!

so i get in the new ball joint,CV after spending a good two hours cleaning up old locktight and cleaning up the spindle and breaks in general, I start the spindle/CV nut to have it place for when i lower the car and the wheel begins to rotate,i'm thinking are you effing kidding me! my tranny's shot! all the time/parts and tools for this! If that aint bad enough i have a 03 taurus ticking tranny time bomb wagon too. I'm not sure how to prevent this, most people will tell you not to change out tranny fluid just add when it's needed. what i'm going to do for that wagon is instead of adding fluid to the tranny i'm going to add Ford friction modifier for rear differentials,this should help the clutches and the convertor.

- , Watertown, NY, USA

Jan 092012

Taurus EX 3.0L

I don't know where to start after reading all these other complaints about the same damn problem. Car will not go into gear just revs up when in reverse or drive, and just to think i drove this car to work today and it was fine. Like everyone else no warning or light to notify me of a problem. Now stuck with a worthless piece of crap not sure what else to do.LeviJ in nc

- , Wilson, NC, USA

Jan 062012

Taurus SES 3.2L V6

Ford Taurus just stopped working on a busy highway, engine rev's but trans would not engage. Pushed out of intersection. Would not engage in drive or reverse. No warning just stopped working.

- , Roswell, GA, USA

Jan 042012

Taurus LS 3.0L V6

I had no warning at all. Parked car, came back and car would not move forward or backward. Had car towed to local repair shop. After evaluation I got the bad news.

I located this web site and found that I am not alone. I agree that Ford should do something about this problem. Other dealers are offering 100,000 mile warranty.

Wake up Mr Ford !!!!!

- , Concord, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Taurus

Same thing on our 2003 Ford Taurus. We were driving down the road and the engine revved up like it was in neutral. We pulled over, put in reverse - nothing, put in drive - nothing. We had the car towed to the mechanic. It will cost $2,500.00 to fix. The car only has 53,000 miles on it. :( This is awful. Ford needs to step up to the plate & take responsibility for their defective parts.

- , Whitesboro, TX, USA

Dec 312011

Taurus SE

this is the second time in 20000 miles. Driving 55 on Hwy 65 heavy traffic and just revved and quit. by the time I got to the side I was doing 20 mph, cars were not helpful. towed to shop waiting on bad news.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Nov 232011

Taurus SES 3.6L Dohc

Not much to add about what has been said here, except that defect appears to be in pump inside transmission housing, NOT torque converter. Daughter was driving on highway with kids and tranny just stopped working... she coasted to a stop, but don't tell me this isn't a safety issue. Tranny had been maintained and was running smooth as glass until complete failure. My mechanic told me that for every one bad torque converter, there are 10 bad pumps that he has seen in this transmission. EVERYONE knew 2003 has a lemon transmission design and I will be filing my complaint with DC in the morning. I have always been a Ford guy and still am -- they're the only ones who didn't need bailing out and their new line, including Taurus, is nice -- but I wish they would own up to this one.

- , Sauk Centre, MN, USA

Sep 152011

Taurus

o my 62 year old handicap mother was driving her 2003 Ford Taurus with 55,000 when the car just died on her. She had the car towed to her mechanic who was in shock to find out the transmission died. He was especially amazed since she was faithful with the maintenance on the car. I called Ford to report it, they "reported it" in their computers and read me some BULL CRAP line about how since there were no recalls she would have to have it diagnosed by a Ford dealer AT HER EXPENSE and the repair would have to be made AT HER EXPENSE. So I guess Ford just accepts their cars die at 55,000 miles? Thanks Ford, it is so nice to see how you take such good care of your customers.

- , Westminster, MD, USA

Sep 042011

Taurus SES

F.O.R.D = FOUND ON ROAD DEAD GOING 65 ON A F*CKING HIGHWAY! Yeah my two KIDS and i were going down the highway going 65 when my car died, pushed on gas peddle and it just reeved up.... know i like cars but not when your in the middle of the highway with cars almost crashing into you going 70mph..... did ford care....of course not, no wonder why ford didn't need a bail out, THEIR PIECES OF SH*T AND DON'T FIX THEIR SH*T, NEXT CAR, IMPORT PRETTY BAD WHEN YOU GOTTA BUT OUT OF COUNTRY TO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

- , Guilford, NY, USA

Aug 282011

Taurus ES 3.2L

Wife was driving to church and out of the blue, it was like puting the car in netural. Hoping it is just the converter and not the tranny. wil cost $900.00 plus. Shame on Ford for letting this go without a recall.

- , Ward, SC, USA

Dec 102011

Taurus ES

I was driving on the highway coming home the other night, going about 65, when all of a sudden my transmission went. No warning whatsoever, just revved like it was in neutral. Luckily I was able to move over (across two lanes) to the shoulder and call for a tow truck, but it was a very unnerving experience. I could have caused a major accident. Still waiting on a price from the garage it was towed to but I can tell you right now that it's not even worth it to me to pay 2,000 dollars to get this fixed. I will absoultely not be buying Ford ever again!!

- , Katonah, NY, USA

Dec 092011

Taurus

My son was driving to work. Turned the corner and speed limit changed from 35-55 car revved then stopped. He was able to get it to the side of the road then called Dad. We towed it home. Called around. a Rebuilt tranny is going to run 700-800 plus labor and a new one is 1500 plus labor. trying to figure out how to pay this repair. This is my son's car who is in the national guard. But he's only 17 so he doesn't qualify for financing.

- , Avon, NY, USA

Dec 102011

Taurus

I was going around a bend at the top of my street, transmission did not engage, had to drift back down the street to my driveway.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 232011

Taurus SE 3.2L V6

I just came across this website, when i was trying to find the cost of 2003 Ford Taurus Transmission. my story is also similar to lot of other complaints on this issue

Miles as of today 75000

Drove car for 3 miles and went for a Dr. appointment for kids , came back and drove 100 feet and here goes transmission, without any warning. I was amazed on such a poor QUALITY work of Ford company.

I was on uphill and car was going back (reverse) luckily no car or anyone was behind me otherwise it would have been more disaster.

Next steps:

While this is a good forum not sure how many people see this or if we will get any resolution in terms of monetary cost for repair etc which is in 1500-3000$, as a group either we should create a Facebook page for all such complaints for FORD, I think very difficult to get anything otherwise from such a big company.

- , ATLANTA, GA, USA

Dec 062011

Taurus

I was driving along earlier today at a modest speed and the car just seemed to go into neutral all by itself. No warning of any kind about there being a problem with the transmission. I was able to coast into a nearby vacant lot where I checked the transmission fluid level which was fine, but the car simply would not go into any gear at all. After doing some research and reading some of the other 200 or so similar complaints about the transmission of this particular make and model, I am very seriously considering not even attempting to repair this car. Considering the fact that I have only had this car for a little over a year, and in that time I have had to replace a waterpump, a starter, and now the transmission has gone out! This is most definitely the very last time that I will ever purchase a ford automobile!

- , Bartlesville, OK, USA

Dec 052011

Taurus

I was so LUCKY that I was not on the freeway because my car just lost power & wouldn't move at all. If it happened on the Freeway, I surely would have been rear ended as there was no warning! I wish Ford would recall all the Vehicles with this transmission problem.....This Is A Safety Issue!!

- , Batavia, NY, USA

Nov 042011

Taurus SES 3.0L

This has already caused a person to loose their life. Ford needs to fix this problem. There must be a Lawyer out there that has heard about what is happening and could get everyone together and sue ford. Unfortunately it wont bring Jason back to life but hopefully it will stop someone else from loosing their life.A ll the stories that are on this internet we have to be able to do something. Its way beyond just have our vehicles fixed but a man has lost his life because of it. This is wrong ford is trying to show us that if we don't have money then we cant do anything and they can do what they want

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Nov 292011

Taurus SE/wagon V.6

After reading about the 186, now 187 complaints, I realize I AM NOT ALONE!!! This doesn't make it any better. I was driving about 60 mph with a friend and barely made it up a hill to a driveway(thanks goodness, not a freeway) when the acceleration stopped, tried several times to put into any gear and no response. FRUSTRATION BEGINS TO SET IN!!!!!!!!!!, but nothing like now after reading about 200 more Ford (or former) patrons and the same problem. So why the big "hush" about this universal problem....COME ON.....mechanics, salespeople and dealers........How do you expect to sell cars and service them when this many customers are irate about this major concern??. I'm all for a class action suit against

Ford Motor Co.

- , Wentworth, SD, USA

Aug 022011

Taurus 3.0L

Same problem as most everyone else on this site. Driving ... No Warning No Lights No Noise Nothing go to pass tanker coming off stop light and rpms go way up but no acceleration...

- , Hanover Park, IL, USA