1998 Honda CR-V seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda CR-V:

1998 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Mar 152008

CR-V 4-cyl

The battery went dead on my 1998 Honda CR-V. I had it replaced, and discovered that the SRS(safety restraint system was disabled as a result of determining that a new battery was needed. I contacted a Honda service center and was told that as long as the SRS light was on, the air bag system was off and that it would cost about $90 to have it turned off. I also was told to drive it for a week (without protection from the SRS and perhaps the computer would recycle and turn the SRS back on. My complaint is this: Because of poor engineering of the SRS system and the computer, Honda has forced me to either drive a car without the safety that I bought, or pay a service center to enable the system...all over a real simple repair...replacing a battery. I can understand the need to reset the clock, radio, or other less essential electronics, but the air bags! Honda is forcing me to spend money that I don't have in order to use a safety system that I feel is essential for driving safety. Honda should enable this system for me at no charge. Please help. Jim davis

- Kirtland, OH, USA

Mar 202006

Loved my Honda CR-V, but on March 20, 2006, I hit a slick spot while it was snowing. I proceeded to lose control of my vehicle, going into the ditch front first. Had a front impact, then began to flip 2-3 times once end to end and skidding 30+ feet. My seat belt held, but my airbags did not deploy, I could have died, and if there had been a passenger, they would have, the whole passenger side was caved in. This was how ever the only problem I had ever experienced with this car. Car is a very reliable car.

- Crab Orchard, FM, USA