8.5

$1,836.00

1. replace air conditioner (27 reports)
  3. traded in vehicle (2 reports)
  4. replace ac fans (1 reports)
2002 Honda CR-V AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda CR-V:

2002 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 092010

CR-V

Bought the CR-V used with 20,000 miles on it. Purchased an extended warranty for $800 and they had to fix the AC to the tune of $1200 within a year (on them thank goodness). Four years later (last Thursday).......AC destroyed itself internally and similar to what I've read on this site, it throws metal particals into the dryer as well so replacement cost to me (no more warranty) is $1472.00. I live in Miami. There is no choice but to fix it. Not cool. Pun intended.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Apr 252010

CR-V LX

AC stop working. The AC compressor was previously replace twice. One under factory warranty and out of pocket. Little research shows Honda design flaws. Does not know if it worth to repair since last compressor only lasted 30.000 mi.

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jul 142010

CR-V LX

There should be a recall since the AC problem seems widespread on 02, 03 and 04 CRVs. I called Honda and they are not offering anything to owners of 02 models other than to "document the problem." Having to replace the AC at such high cost creates a financial hardship for many.

- , Orange, CA, USA

May 242010

CR-V EX

The famous CRV "Black Death". AC compressor grenaded just like hundreds and hundreds of others have.Sent metal particles through the entire AC system requiring replacement of entire AC system. Known problem with 02 through 06 Honda CRV's.

- , Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jun 012008

CR-V

1. Air conditioner died on the first day of June. Had to replace the entire system due to metal fragments in the lines. I have had a 1998 CRV-ran beautifully-never a problem. The 2002 has been a HOLY nightmare from the beginning.

2. Interior lights come on whenever they please. I've turned them all off.

3. Replaced various "O2 sensor" parts 3 times for different charges. First one at 50 miles! 2nd one at around 55000, then again at 75000. Can't seem to get through an inspection cycle without the damn "check engine" light coming on.

4. Hatch open light is constantly on.

5. Transmission work recently-$1500.00 (D was flashing)

6. Driver side window assembly snapped one day. Cost me over $500.00 to replace the metal wire that rolls the window up and down.

7. Rear driver side window has never worked. Didn't know that because I never roll that window down. When I found out, it was after warranty and the estimate was $500-$800 to replace the power thing.

8. Rear differential fluid was replaced because of a grinding sound on turning.

Don't even remember what all to list--these are the sticking points.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 102009

CR-V EX 4cl

I bought my crv in 2003 and since then I have changed the air conditioner 3 times and if it goes out again they are paying for it. I really shouldn't have paid for it the last time. It has gone out every year now and they said the car just can't handle the heat of AZ. I have never had a cars AC go out that many times and I've lived here my entire life. One time they told me it was because I don't change the air filter and I do ever time! I have always gone to the dealer to fix my car, but after this not anymore.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Jun 012009

CR-V EX 4 cyl

Dealer said it would be FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS TO FIX THE A/C. I told them to go pound sand. An independent mechanic said $1200 for new compressor. Haven't fixed it yet, because the car isn't worth that much and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it. This Honda sucks.

- , Leesburg, VA, USA

Jul 072009

CR-V LX 2.4L 4

The Ac on this car went out at 110,380 miles.The Local Honda Dealer where I purchased the vehicle used wanted $2800.00 to repair it because they said the compressor had actually exploded inside and the complete AC System would have to be replaced, because of bits of metal in the system that probably wouldn't flush out. I haven't had it repaired yet because the dealer said they would contact Honda and see if Honda would be willing to help with some of the cost. I see on here where I'm not alone with this problem, it seems that this has happened a lot and this should have been a recall issue. A local AC Mechanic informed me that he has seen this a lot in Honda's from 2001 to 2004 and it's something that's being caused because the flues in the condenser are too small which restricts freon flow and causes the compressor to have to work too hard and fail prematurely. Honda should have already addressed this in a recall. If Honda doesn't help with the repair I may just buy the parts and repair it myself. I can get the necessary parts online for less than $800.00. And I definitely will not buy another Honda before I thoroughly check for complaints on issues like this.

Update from Aug 19, 2009: Well after much negotiation we worked it out and Honda did pay for some of the repair but it still cost me $1974.76 to get the entire AC System replaced, so I guess I'm good to go for now, but the warranty on the new AC System is only 1 year or 12,000 miles, that stinks in my opinion. I hope the pending class action lawsuit goes thru so all of us who have had to pay these exorbitant fees because of a poorly designed AC System get re-imbursed.

- , Fortson, GA, USA

Jul 122009

CR-V LX

The entire A/C system needed to be replaced. The repair guy told me to sell the car.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Aug 012007

CR-V EX 2.4L

On the hottest day of the year, I heard a pop and the A/C stopped working. I took the car to two different dealers for repair estimates, and both quoted me around $1800. The car had only 87,000 miles. We decided to trade it in for a new CR-V. I was very disappointed because I really enjoyed my 2002 CR-V. It was solidly built and a pleasure to drive. Our new CR-V EX-L is fine, but I wanted to keep the other one a little bit longer.

- , Lutherville, MD, USA

Jul 012004

CR-V LX

I had air conditioner fixed at dealer . It went out again a year ago. I had to have it fixed again. My catalytic converter went out twice . My sensors went out . I can only open one door with key. My dome light is out. My cigarette lighter no longer functions . My seat belt on drivers side is hard to go in.

- , East Point, GA, USA

Jul 022007

CR-V

I have never had a vehicle with an A/C problem. I have had all other problems but who would have thought the A/C would go out. I thought Honda was number 1, guess you can't have everything.

- , Preston, MD, USA

Mar 182008

CR-V LX 2.4L

This car is a real lemon. I am complaining about the A/C, but almost the brake also locked up, battery gone very fast, transmission linkage problem, doom light gone, SRS sensor lite up for no reason, rear door latch light came on for no reason, and windshield chipped easy. Honda doesn't seem to be reliable, and I don't have that kind of problems on Toyota.

- , St Louis, MO, USA

Aug 012008

CR-V

A small bolt broke off of the compressor. All the parts had to be replaced. Bottom line - a $2 bolt resulted in a $1,400 repair bill.

- , Swansboro, NC, USA

Jun 062008

CR-V EX 2.4L

I have a 2002 CRV which I bought used in November of 2005. Never had a prob with my beloved car, that I had wanted for a LONG time, or the AC until the first time I turned it on this summer (First weekend of June). It was working fine for a short time, at one point I noticed an odor, but I shrugged it off to be the cemi that passed me. About 45 minutes later I noticed that the air coming out was no longer cold. When I reached my destination, I had my friends uncle look at it, and he assumed it was the freon, but was unable to add any. After I got back from my VERY HOT weekend, I took it into my mechanic to see what the issue was. He called me that afternoon and said the news wasn't good, and that my compressor and clutch, etc was shot and it would be at least 1200.00 to fix it. He said that he wouldn't know until he tore it apart if I would need a condenser as well. If I do then it would be an additional 200-250. I had NO clue until I saw a post on Consumer Report that this issue is as wide spread as it is! My word!! I didn't opt to fix it at that time- just couldn't justify paying that much for something that doesn't effect the way my car runs~though I am miserable as hot as it has been which is totally effecting me~ not in a good way either LOL

I don't normally take my car to the dealer as it is all the way on the other side of town, and I trust my mechanic 100%. I did call the dealer today and he informed me that I would have to bring my car in so I can be told what I already know about the AC so that it has been looked at by a "certified Honda dealer"-what a total PITA! I already paid 100 bucks, now I have to do it again.

I decided to call corporate after reading so many posts here, http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f0d3fb5/0 and here, http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/honda-cr-v/TU0OKFJGV9V3F3FGL and here, http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_78670.html about SOOO many people having the EXACT same issue.

And was told that I would be notified in 1-3 business days about whatever their "decision" is going to be. (meanwhile I have to take my car down to the dealer) As Honda is dealing with this AC nightmare on a case by case basis and that it depended on the year of the car and how many miles, etc........... I told him that I read many issues where that person�s car was the same age as mine, but with more miles, and that Honda had paid for the entire repair. He didn't really say anything one way or another..........time will tell..................

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 152008

CR-V LX

I took the car for the second time to an A/C mechanic and bought the Heater/A/C assembly myself for $370. He put it in, in worked for a few minutes then quit and he hasn't been able to get it going again. Had the same problem last year but he was able to fix it.

- , Christiansted, VI, Virgin Islands (US)

Feb 082007

CR-V LX

Honda dealers price to fix was $720 so I took it too an A/C mechanic. He found the part from a used car (Heater/A/C assembly) and replaced it. It worked for 1 year.

- , Christiansted, VI, Virgin Islands (US)

Aug 042007

CR-V EX 2.4L

So much for Honda reliability.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada