2003 Honda CR-V fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda CR-V:

2003 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Apr 062016

Smelled gas and noticed the vehicle was using an excessive amount of gas for the distance traveled. The next day I had to stop for gas again (had just gotten gas the previous day) and as I was putting the nozzle back into the gas pump, gas started gushing from underneath my vehicle. Approximately 20 minutes later it slowed to a drip and then completely stopped a few minutes afterwards. A store employee came to assist and he thought it was an overflow issue and thought it would be okay to drive. We'd pushed the vehicle to a dry area before cranking it to make sure it didn't leak anymore. On the way home, within a 10 mile stretch I lost half of a tank of gas. That was on a Wednesday, I didn't move the vehicle again until Friday morning. The ground was saturated with gas when I left for work that Friday morning. I'd already arranged to drop it off at the auto shop that morning before work. The engine light came on within minutes of leaving home. The shop determined it was a cracked washer/nut that secures the fuel pump inside the tank. The pump was literally sitting at the top of the tank hitting underneath the back seat. The shop mechanic said it was a miracle it didn't catch fire and blow up. It's back in the shop again because it's still leaking gas. The ground where I park was saturated again for the past 3 days (I'd moved it to a different spot every day for several days to determine it was still leaking. It'd remained parked for the past 3 days except for moving it over to a dry spot. I had to stop for gas on the way to work this morning, although I should've had enough to get there but the gas hand was dropping. I filled the tank up and when I reached my destination I was back down to half a tank. I drove 45 miles from where I got gas. I called the auto shop and they're currently trying to determine where the gas is coming from.

- Edwards, MS, USA