2.5

2004 Honda CR-V cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda CR-V:

2004 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Mar 092009

CR-V

Air conditioning compressor failed in my 2004 Honda CRV. Dealership wants $1900 plus tax to replace system. There seem to be thousands of complaints about this issue in online forums. The failure causes the entire air conditioning system to have to be replaced. This is everything except the knobs. The dealership stated that the compressor was too small and that this one reason for failure. The dealership stated that the 2003 and 2004 crvs have major problems with air compressors. Honda usa is only willing to reduce the replacement cost from $3039 plus tax to $2537 plus tax. The dealership was willing to reduce it down to $1900.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Nov 152008

CR-V

Have a 2004 CRV. Compressor locked up and broke off clutch from compressor. The compressor imploded damaging the overall ac unit. The hole system has to be replaced. I contacted Honda dealer in daytona. Estimated repair charges will be $3,000. I surprise since there has been so many complaints on your web site why the NHTSA has not force Honda into a recall.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Jul 262008

CR-V

A buzzing noise suddenly started in the engine compartment while driving and the air conditioner stopped cooling. Took the car to Honda and problem was diagnosed as a failed A/C compressor which contaminated the entire system. Estimated cost of repair was $3600+. car had been driven 71,000+ miles. Honda rep agreed to pay 50% of the repair costs as part of their "goodwill warranty". since this is occurring on so many 2001 - 2004 CR-V's, there should be 100% coverage on repairs if not a recall. This edmunds link indicates the extent of the problem: townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0D3fb5/808!keywords=allin%3amsgtext%20honda%20crv#808 not being a safety issue, they will probably not recall. Being so wide-spread, there should be more consistency in Honda's response (all owners that encounter this issue should get 100% coverage of repair costs). This is a common complaint.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 152008

CR-V

2004 Honda CRV air conditioner unit crystallized into pieces. Thank god I had extended warranty! if I would not have it would have cost me over $5000I am not a happy camper about this because a call back should have been done because the mechanic at the Honda place at baker Honda in houma, la. Told my husband alot of these vehicles have come back with this same problem.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Jul 152008

CR-V

Driving on local highway with my wife, two year old and three year old in the back when loud rattling noise was heard, followed by air conditioner compressor blowing out, causing heavy metallic pieces to go rolling down the highway at high speeds. Thankfully, no other cars were in the immediate area. Whole A/C unit needed to be replaced due to exploding parts and, after much complaining, was only given partial credit to cover costs. Honda knows about problem and knows all A/C compressors made with during certain years will fail but is handling on a case by case basis and is not upfront in telling consumer about problem. Please check site listed below to note how common this problem is. www.topix.com/forum/autos/Honda-CR-V/tu0okfjgv9V3F3fgl.

- Berkeley Heights, NJ, USA

Aug 132008

CR-V

Air compressor "exploded" on 2004 Honda CR-V. car bought new. 68,500 miles. Taken to dealership last year A/C problems. Problem not uncommon with CR-V. Honda response inconsistent. Some customers reimbursed 100%,some 0%. my car to be repaired Thursday(if parts in). Cost to me $1400 +.recall needed.

- Grantsville, MD, USA

Jul 172008

CR-V

A/C condenser on 2004 Honda CRV imploded while driving on interstate. Service station told me that I was very lucky B/C there was nothing holding on a certain belt other than tension. If the belt had come off, I would have lost power steering and alternator would have died. Found this is a widespread problem on this model vehicle and Honda should be held accountable and issue recall. Besides it being a very expensive repair, there are obvious safety issues here.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Jul 032007

CR-V

Air conditioner began to rattle, then ruptured and fell off while driving down highway, sending debris out on the road in the path of oncoming traffic.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 222008

CR-V

The contact owns a 2004 Honda CR-V. while driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a loud revving noise that did not stop until the engine was turned off. The following day, the contact activated the air conditioner and heard a loud rattling noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The air conditioning system eventually failed. Prior to the failure, the contact did not notice any warning lights illuminated on the instrument control panel. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the clutch on the air compressor failed. The repair would cost $1,500. The contact is in the process of having the vehicle repaired. He called the manufacturer and is waiting for a response. The failure and current mileages were 41,000.

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Jul 122008

CR-V

Driving on highway and A/C quit working....compressor had to be replaced quoted $1400 to replace...Honda what is going on with all these"?"

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 152008

CR-V

Air compressor failure. Could have caused an accident. Still in the shop for repairs.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 202008

CR-V

While driving in my Honda CRV 2004 with the A/C running, I notice that the air was not getting cool. About 2 minutes later, I heard a buzzing and thumping sound. I shut the air conditioner down and took my car in for service the next day. I was told the compressor and clutch were going bad and it would be $1500 to get it fixed. After some research online I found that this is not an uncommon problem. I hope Honda is looking into this issue. I know it's not life threatening but it's certainly expensive to have fixed.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jun 102008

CR-V

A/C compressor failed. Clutch broke off from compressor.

- Sugarland, TX, USA

Jul 052008

CR-V

A/C compressor went bad. Ac was working great all of a sudden on one hot day, it just stops working when it was working perfectly fine. Thought I needed to get the ac charge, took it, and they today me the ac compressor went and I would need to contact Honda since they are the only one who deals with this. Call Honda and they told me that it would $1200 to start. This is outrageous with a know problem. There should be some type of recall on this, if he has happened to so many other people.

- Fountain Hill, PA, USA

Jul 122008

CR-V

2004 Honda CRV. Began driving in 98 degree weather, heard loud clatter in engine, A/C began running warm air, car stalled. Took it to Honda dealership and was told that the A/C compressor "blew up" and it sent shards of metal throughout my entire A/C system. I was told that the entire system needed to be replaced. The repair cost would be $3500.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jun 232008

CR-V

A/C compressor shelled/failed & sent metal shavings through-out system. System contaminated, 3K to replace whole system. In my opinion, Honda admits liability w/ "goodwill warranty" & agreed to pay 75% to fix A/C. A/C compressor defective car only has 50K mi. I want full compensation.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Aug 262007

CR-V 4-cyl

The air conditioner compressor implode and seized. Large metal particles circulated throughout the system. The repair required replacement of the compressor, condenser and receival dryer assembly. The lines needed to flushed out which resulted in very costly repair of over $1200.

- Sandown, NH, USA

Aug 262007

CR-V

Air conditioner compressor imploded and seized. Large metal particles circulated throughout system. Repair required replacement of compressor, condenser and receiver dryer assembly. This resulted in $1207.43 in damages on a 3 year old car.

- Sandown, NH, USA

Aug 102007

CR-V 4WD

My family and I were coming back from vacation from Florida, when all of a sudden there was a loud noise and sounded like something fell out of my car. As we were driving we noticed that the air wasn't cooling like it should be. So for the next 2 hours we had to drive without any air in 100 degree heat. I took it in the next day to get it looked at and they said the whole air compressor completely fell apart and fell out of the car and ruined the air conditioner so that the whole thing would have to be replaced. About $2500 to replace, so I called american Honda Corp and had to haggle with them for over a week so that I would have to only pay $600.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 092007

CR-V 4WD

Air conditioner failure. Compressor seized and entire ac system has been contaminated. Needs replacement of ac compressor, all lines, evaporator, expansion valve and condenser. Approximate cost $2800. Mileage on auto 48,264.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA