5.7

2004 Honda CR-V exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Honda CR-V:

2004 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Nov 242004

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

On 11/24/04 I was driving on a major interstate when my engine and battery lights suddenly came on. I felt as if my breaks were not going to work. I pulled off at the nearest exit trying to get to a safe place to assess the situation. As I got off the exit, smoke began to billow into the car from the vents. A man approached me from behind and informed me my car was on fire. I didn't realize it until that moment. Apparently, it had been shooting flames out from the front wheel wells. My car had about 15,000 miles on it at the time. My oil change was four months earlier with no signs of any oil leaks prior to the fire. The fumes caused me to have an asthma attack, even after the fire was out and the car was towed to a Honda body shop. Because of the holiday, the insurance company will not look at the car until 11/29 or 30. I have no idea if it will be totaled or not. I'm concerned about residual effects from the fire affecting my respiratory problems. Further, I' M concerned about getting another 2004 vehicle that may present with the same problem. Or, even a 2005, if the problem will exist in that as well.

- Stow, OH, USA