CarComplaints.com Notes: While the 2009 CR-V still came equipped with tires that wear out faster than my Grandpa after a turkey dinner, Honda did address an electrical problem with the door locks that plagued owners of previous model years.

2.0

2009 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda CR-V:

2009 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jul 312015

CR-V

On July 31, 2015, while exiting I-95 northbound crossing from the Florida to Georgia state line from high density high speed vacation traffic, my 2009 Honda CR-V serpentine (drive) belt snapped. I immediately lost power steering and other functions associated with the drive serpentine belt. I was traveling at least 45 mph as I had just exited the highway; my knuckles were white I was grabbing the steering wheel so hard trying to assess, at high speed and with vehicles in front and behind me going the same speeds, how to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. My wife and two young girls were with me and I feared that me and my entire family were be seriously injured or killed. Subsequent inspection clearly identified a failed air-conditioning compressor clutch, that is the subject of Honda tsb 12-072 (service bulletin sb-10056005-7115), that my VIN is the subject of Honda's extended warranty associated with tsb 12-072. The compressor clutch caused the compressor to wind-up/damage the belt when it could not travel over the drive wheel of the compressor. The only warning we had, in hindsight, was we lost air conditioning earlier in our trip to Florida and the ac was blowing warm air and there was a noise coming from the compressor area. My entire family was terrified by what happened here - this seems like a defect that presents an unreasonable risk to safety and should be a recall, not an extended warranty. I could have been killed. Had this happened on the highway 1 minute earlier, I could have been rear ended at high speed by car or, worse, truck. Given the numerous blog posts about this problem, and the Honda dealer service tech who said he said this is a common problem that can result in the drive belt getting destroyed by a failed ac compressor clutch, it seems that it should be a recall.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Nov 122014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2009 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that there was oil leaking from the engine. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the seal plug needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 262013

CR-V

Check engine light problem indicator 4 times in a row. Supposedly fixed by Honda dealer in Sept and Oct, 2013. Supposedly fixed under extended warranty...still a problem and now not under extended warranty.

- Granby, CT, USA

May 162012

CR-V 4-cyl

A rattling noise erupted from underneath my 2009 CRV, it was discovered that the heat shields mounts on the catalytic converters were rusted through at the mounts and were about to fall off the vehicle. The vehicle in only 3 years old, I am the second owner, purchased vehicle in Feb 2010. After further inspection it was discovered that the catalytic converter heat shields were being held on by radiator hose clamps. This means that in just one year the mounts to the heat shied were already rusted through. I purchased this from a Honda dealership. After calling the local Honda dealership I was told this was normal and not covered through the rust warranty. Heat shields are there for a reason and in order to prevent fires.

- San Clemente, CA, USA