2012 Honda CR-V brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Mar 212016

My wife took vehicle (2012 CRV ex 2 wd) to apostlakis Honda in hermitage pa for annual state inspection. Service personnel stated that vehicle required new rear rotors/ brake pads. Service rep stated that due to insufficient brake fluid reaching the left rear brakes, the pads had not functioned properly, resulting in damage to the rotor. As a result, vehicle needed new rotors/pads on rear of vehicle to pass state inspection at a cost of nearly $400. From the explanation of the service rep, it appears that a possible manufacturing defect was the cause of the premature disintegration of the left rear brake components. Considering the safety issues involved with defective and compromised braking system, I believe this concern needs to be addressed immediately. I believe Honda Motors needs to compensate individuals such as myself who have been required to address and repair this problem

- Jamestown, PA, USA

Jan 262016

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. while driving at various speeds, the brake warning light illuminated but there were no brake failures. The light illuminated randomly. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Kinnblon, NJ, USA

Nov 132015

Sudden acceleration: When foot on brake, the engine surges

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 072015

Replaced rear brake pads, caliper pins, rear rotors. Pins seized up. Replaced by dealer where purchased car. Dealer finally picked up all cost with exception of brake pads $77.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jun 242015

Just went in for oil change and tire rotation and dealer is telling me because I have not driven that much my rear brake pads needs replacing because the pins in the rear brakes is frozen and keeping the rear brake pad in use even though I am not applying my brakes. Front pads are ok. He said I only had about 1/4 inch pad left before it dug into the rooters. 7,902 miles did not let dealer do work yet....updated 08/12/15

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Oct 182014

CR-V 4-cyl

I went to park in a diagonal, on street parking spot, and applied the brake to stop. The car instead accelerated, jumped the curb and proceeded into an adjoining parking lot. I turned hard right to avoid vehicles and struck the retaining wall at the back of the lot with my left front quarter panel. This impact steepened the turn and shot me back out of the lot and onto the street. I proceeded up the street, the car accelerating all the time. I tried to determine if I was accidentally stepping on the gas, and felt I was indeed on the brake. My car proceeded rapidly up the street, over 1/10th mile in distance. In a panic to try and stop the car I stomped on the emergency brake, which locked up the rear wheels. My rear tires were in a skid for over 150 feet, which produced a sideways skid, the car turning right and slamming broadside into a park vehicle which stopped me. I feel this is a case of unintended acceleration, and have been made aware of other such incidents in late model crvs.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Dec 282012

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was engaged and the vehicle vibrated violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on five occasions. The front brakes were replaced and the front rotors were resurfaced four times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Fredonia, WI, USA

Sep 192013

While driving my car from Maryland to New York in extremely rainy conditions on the I95, the SUV steering wheel locked after a loud noise. I thought I had a flat tire, but this was not the case. The brakes pedal also did not move. The car buckled and rocked from side to side. (no warning lights came on--why didn't it?) this situation could have been deadly if other vehicles around me were not alert. I read through the comments and realize I am not the only person this has happened to. Is Honda waiting for someone to die. I told my family to sue them if it happens to me. I have started driving with my ipad video camera on. This is my black box to prove that the Honda CRV 2012 is faulty. Since this has happened, the gas and brake pedals vibrate when driving after 2-3hrs. I took the car into Honda, long island, NY. They checked the brakes and said it is fine. But, the car does not drive smooth on the road. You can feel the difference in the steering wheel while driving. Honda needs to fix this unsafe problem of the steering and brakes locking while the car is in motion.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Oct 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes were applied but the brakes failed to disengage. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the front brake shoes were wearing prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 282013

CR-V 4-cyl

I was applying intermittent braking to modulate speed while proceeding eastbound on I-40 East of black mountain, nc which is a relatively steep grade (approximately 6% for 5 miles). With successive applications I felt progressively increasing vibrations from the front end and feedback through the brake pedal. Towards the bottom of the grade I seriously questioned the ability of the brakes to adequately slow the car and had no confidence that I could stop the vehicle in a safe/adequate distance. I continued to drive the car in more level, interstate conditions for another 3.5 hours but did not experience the problem again. Reported temperature that day was mid to high 80's. I was conscious of my brake use given the conditions, and do not feel it was excessive. I have driven this particular stretch of road before in higher temperatures, in other vehicles and in more severe conditions without this type of incident. Within a week of this incident the vehicle was inspected at a Honda dealership and no abnormalities were noted with the brakes. Service personnel advised that my experience was simply due to the conditions. I disagree. If brakes in serviceable/good condition cannot provide adequate braking performance under the conditions I described, then I feel this particular component is inadequate and represents a risk to the operator and other vehicles on the road.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 022012

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact stated while driving 10 mph, he approached a traffic signal and when the brake pedal was depressed an unusual noise was present. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 2. updated 07/09/13 the consumer stated the seat belt would not release. The consumer exited the vehicle, upon immediately re-entering the seat belt operated properly. Updated 07/15/2013

- Toledo, OH, USA

Sep 292012

CR-V 4-cyl

Feb 2012 : purchased my 2012 Honda CRV because it was flat towable. Sept 1 :left for a two month trip towing said car and using the blue ox patriot braking system. After following all the directions for blue ox and Honda directions for the transmission, everything seemed fine.with exception of the battery going dead every 3-4 hrs of driving. Oct 6: the back brake sounded like it was scraping.Honda dealer said the pads were rubbing but didn't have any replacements. I was told they would be okay to make it back home. Oct 16: In Texas the brakes sounded like it was metal on metal. Took into a Honda dealership and was told that the brake pad was missing on the right rear, the caliper pins were missing, rotors needed to be resurfaced, and the parking brake calipers pins were missing. Everything replaced under warranty for both rear brakes. Car test driven, all brakes fine. Oct 28: Back home, brakes vibrating so took it to a Honda dealership for oil change and have them check the brakes. I was told all four of the brakes were shot burnt etc and parts would cost $5,000. They said it would not be covered under warranty because I used an after the market braking system. They are blaming blue ox. Blue ox is blaming Honda. America Honda hdq were notified but they said since the dealership deemed it wasn't their fault they closed my case. Im the one stuck with paying as the insurance wont cover this either.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 122012

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CRV. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, every time the brake pedal was engaged it continuously emitted a thumping noise. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed the brakes exhibited rust. The contact was uncertain whether the defect pertained to the front or rear brakes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200.

- Rockaway Beach, NY, USA

Sep 172012

CR-V 4-cyl

My wife who was driving our Honda CRV 2012 had an accident on the freeway off ramp. When the car in front of her ran over some wire that was left on the road, the driver made a sudden stop. My wife was unable to stop in time and hit the vehicle with our Honda. There was considerable damage on both cars. Since the airbags did not deploy and the safety belt in our 2012 Honda CRV did not restrain my wife from hitting the steering wheel, she was seriously hurt. I hope other owners of the Honda CRV 2012 do not have this type of situation happen to them.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Sep 022012

Whenever I placed my car on parking an the E-brake if it was on a slope the car would keep going as if it was on drive or reverse. It happened a couple of times. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. When I took it to another shop they saw that the brake pads were worn out already with barely a couple of miles from new.

- Vega Baja, PR, USA