8.7

2. new battery (7 reports)
  3. alternator replacement (1 reports)
  4. door lock switch stuck in an "on" position causing a "draw" (1 reports)
  5. if honda does not solve such problem, give loyalty elsware (1 reports)
  6. trade in for toyota (1 reports)
2012 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 172015

CR-V EXL 3.2L 4 cyl

Went out to start my CR-V and it would not turn over. It has been slightly sluggish on starting for months. Left my front driver door on while pumping gas once and apparently that drained the battery enough it would not start and I had to get a jump start at the pump! I had a Honda Accord Ex-L previously which never had this problem, and it was a 1998! I bought this newer vehicle for reliability, so much for that!

I really like this car but quickly turning against CR-V because of this problem that the dealer seems to not see when it is there. I had the computer update done in November 2014 but it didn't fix this problem. I am a widow with no other means of transportation, which is a real burden. Sure enough the dealer called after towing it in and battery checks good and it started right up. I told them there has to be an electrical problem of some sort, will see what the next step will be.

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 142014

CR-V EX-L 2.4L

At aprox 24,000 miles, CRV did not start because of weak battery. Jump battery and car started. This happened four times. Took vehicle to Honda dealership, battery was tested and code GR8 guarantee battery was good. In the same week vehicle let me down 3 more times with same issue. Again another appointment with dealer, this time they flash the PCM with bulletin 12 041 and replaced the battery. Now at 30,000 miles, same headache, and more dealership appointments. My immediate solution was to buy a battery jump starter and keep it in the trunk. Every time I open the hood to jump start this car I wonder what kind of promotion or advertisement is spread.

- , Carolina, PR, USA

Jan 082015

CR-V

When I had my oil changed last summer at LuB Express, they tôle me the battery poser was critical. This fall, when the cold started, I had à hard Time starting the truck. So, when when IBought my truck in the dealership to have my tire changed, I tôle them about the problem, what they said aT LuB Express and asked them to Check it out. So they did... And came back saying it was in perfect shape, only needed an up-date! This morning, it would not start, not even à cough. i needed à boost!

- , Deux-Montagnes, QC, canada

Dec 292014

CR-V EX-L V4

In December 2014, my 2012 Honda CR-V would not start. The engine cranked, but it would not turn over and start. The dealership sent a tow truck to my house to jump the vehicle. They were unable to get the car started, and we had to tow the vehicle into the dealership.

My service rep said that he could not get the battery to fail during any of the tests and kept it overnight to test it again in the morning. The next day the battery was still passing the test. He wound up failing the battery because I had complained about the car door not opening a few times before this situation. It seemed possible the battery issue, and key remote not unlocking the door possibly connected.

They replaced the battery under warranty, and I did not have any problems until today when my car door would not unlock with the key remote or manually. Perhaps related to the 'Door Lock Defect' but there seems to be more than one issue here. It does seem the remote unlocking the door and manually unlocking the door should be independent of one another.

As a woman, not being able to get into my car consistently seems like a safety issue.

However, the dealership claims this is not a problem that has been reported. After reading the complaints makes me question if Honda is purposely avoiding recalls. In a few more years these problems will cost me a pretty penny to fix.

I will be taking the vehicle back in on Monday to see if they can duplicate this intermittent problem.

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 012014

CR-V EX 4 cyl

Battery died leaving my wife and two kids stranded. The dealer blamed my wife saying she left the light on in the car which she denied. They charged the battery and sent us on our way. Battery died again two weeks later the dealer replaced it. Battery died two more times before they admitted that there is a recall on the battery charging system and they reprogrammed it. All is well now except the heat only works on the passenger side of the car. Yay.

- , Poughkeepsie, New York, USA

Dec 122014

CR-V LX 4 Cyl

I have owned Honda vehicles for the last 25 years. I have always found them very reliable. I am hoping that this has not changed...

In late October 2014 the battery died unexpectedly one morning before work. Since this car (CRV-LX 2012) is only two years old, I had it towed to the dealer (Clinton Honda, NJ). They said it was a bad battery cell and replaced the battery for free under the warranty.

On December 12, 2014 the battery died again! As I waited for the AAA tow truck, I looked up an article on CarComplaints.com that mentioned this software patch

HONDA SERVICE BULLETIN sb 12-041 (tell your dealer this number at the service desk) and it is titled The Battery is dead and needs multiple Jump-starts. CRV 2012

The dealership agreed that the problem applied to my VIN number, applied the software fix and replaced the battery again.

I am not confident that the problem is fixed. Has anyone else had this software patch applied and is still experiencing dead batteries? Will I have to get a lawyer and start suing Honda for a lemon? if the car can't reliably get me to work in the morning, it is truly worthless...

Thank you for your comments & shared experience! Mike P

- , Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA

Jul 012014

CR-V LX 4 cyl

This is complete horse manure! The vehicle is less than 3 years old, has less than 50,000 miles on it, and the battery needs to be replaced. Completely unacceptable!

- , Arnold, MD, USA

Dec 242013

CR-V LX

Bad battery. changed, covered by warranty. Almost a year ago, OK since then.

- , Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Dec 052014

CR-V AWD 4

After having to jump the car for the fifth time since we owned it, I decided to look online before spending money on a new battery. The dealership in Turnersville, NJ told me I would have to have the vehicle inspected to see what the problem is. I asked if there were any Service Recalls and the girl on the phone repeated that I would have to make an appointment to have the car inspected to know.

Bullsh*t. I asked for the manager of service and they gave me a service guy that checks you in and brings you the bad news when they are trying to sell you more services. He quickly looked up and told me that they JUST came out with a service bulletin for the car and that I could make an appointment for that and one other for the door handles. I made the appointment and actually found the PDF of the service bulletin which was released for the 2012 CRV in late 2012. In other words, they have known of the problem and the software update which was needed, but chose never to inform me. They are the only dealer to work on the CRV, with the exception of me changing my oil twice (Documented). I thought Honda would be different, but clearly they are not... at least the Honda in Turnersville, NJ.

- , Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Oct 082013

CR-V EX-L

I could list at least 10 times I have been stranded by my CRV because of a dead battery. At first Honda said it was happening because a recall for the door lock. 2nd time it was because of a software update. After a few more times of being stranded, they charged the battery & said to let them know if it happens again. Well, it happened again!

They have been giving me excuses about having to talk to the regional person. I am still being stranded and Honda drug their feet until now they are saying they can't do anything about it because I have too many miles so the warranty does not cover. I expect this type of problem from a $3,000 dollar car but not a $30,000 car. This was my first Honda & my last Honda! Worst customer service ever.

- , Goldsboro, NC, USA

Sep 102013

CR-V ES

I waited a long time to get a Honda because they were known for being dependable & I wanted something that would last long after it was paid for. This car has been a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT! A week after I got it I parked & approx 30 minutes later it wouldn't start. Since then it has left me stranded numerous times & I actually had to get a portable battery charger so I wouldn't have to keep calling people to come jump my car late at night!

Both, called & took it to dealership w/this dead battery problem several times & they told me -I'm not driving my car long enough for the battery to charge!!! Seriously! I don't drive any different then I did when I had all my Fords & my Subaru & they didn't have the same problem! I used to love my car now I HATE IT with a passion & so sorry I ever bought a Honda as the car's been a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT & it really makes me angry. I'm tired of never knowing if I'm going to come out of work at night & have a dead battery. I can't stop anywhere on my way home from work at night for fear it will leave me stranded. Since the dealer told me at one point perhaps I had a light I was leaving on & not realizing I turned all the lights off so I get in & out of the car in the dark & keep a flashlight on the floor to use to find my purse, groceries, etc at night.

I've also had problems w/the seat belt not working or coming undone as I drive down the road; the vanity lights going out, my headlights going out (for which I was pulled over & got a ticket for just as I pulled out of the parking lot-thanks Honda). If your thinking of buying a Honda CRV may I suggest you get a AAA membership, a portable battery charger, a long list of friends that can come jump you, flashlights, start dating a tow truck driver,or better yet, FORGET IT!!!

- , Doylestown, PA, USA

Mar 012014

CR-V

My CRV battery went dead about 4 times. One time, I had to have it towed to the dealership. They said there was some electrical problems going on. When I picked up the car, the sound system was not working. I had to take it back to the dealership.

I just went for an oil change. The battery went dead again. I had the battery changed again. We will see.

I am very disappointed in Honda. I want a new car but I think it will cost me a lot of money to trade in this one. The car is so flimsy.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 152013

CR-V LX

Three times my CR-V has stranded me when it would not start. First time the dealer replaced the battery cuz it had a bad cell. Second and third times it simple was dead when I tried to start it. The second incident I jumped the engine with cables. Dealer could not find anything wrong but said he needed the car "cold" so they could analyze problem. 3rd time it would not start I had it towed to dealer. Working on it now. Not sure what I should do if they say nothing is wrong with it.

- , Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Jun 282014

CR-V ES

When I brought the CRV home it had 6K miles on it from previous owner. The first day the battery died after I had the doors open while installing my Sirius radio kit. Dealer came and charged it. All good. Two years later car no start. Luckily in the garage. Towed to dealer and they said battery failed - two year old battery. And they changed it. I can't believe that's the only thing wrong. I also had intermittent screechy noise when starting in the AM. Couldn't leave it at the dealer to try and get it as I never could figure out what caused it. Told them about it so it was noted for warranty.

After the tow incident I just don't trust the thing not to strand me somewhere so I just traded it in and leased a Prius.

- , Lancaster, NY, USA

Jun 102014

CR-V EXL 2.4L

It has happened several times to my wife. The CRV is OK and after she parks for some minutes to run some errands, the CRV won't start, battery is dead. I tested with a multimeter, the voltage being delivered by the alternator looks like it is not charging the battery, it is a meager 12.6, barely to keep the vehicle running, but not to charge. I had the previous version of the CRV and was a fabulous vehicle. This generation looks like it has a piece of junk for an alternator. Very, very dissatisfied about Honda quality. If they expect me to buy another Honda car, good luck. I bought also a Civic 2012 from them so they will be losing a customer who expended 50k in cars from them. Maybe Toyota next time or Subaru, mmmm.......

- , El Paso, TX, USA

May 072014

CR-V EX-L 4 cyl

Stranded again! Third time stranded, would have been more but car charged by hubby. I really just want to get rid of the car at this point, I can live with problems and fixes but not knowing when or if your car is going to start is awful. Stuck in a school lot until the car next to me moved and husband could come and jump the car . . . Arrrgh

Update from Jun 4, 2014: Battery replaced by dealer under warranty.

May 072014

Mar 282014

CR-V EX-L 4 cyl

A year after having PCM software update in Philadelphia with my daughter and you guessed it car does not start again. My husband occasionally trickled charged car overnight so was probably masking the problem! I blame him, had car charged in Philadelphia and drove home tentatively. Dealer checked battery, no problems reads good. They disconnected the wiring to the trailer hitch, thinking it may be the problem.

Mar 132013

CR-V EX-L 4 cyl

Stopped at a Sonic across from dealer, the CR-V was dead and my husband was out of town. Had to call around to friends to get a jump. I could literally see the dealer! Took it in and they performed a software update - the 'PCM charge mode was incorrect per bulletin 12-041'. My husband had charged battery twice before this event, he blamed me for probably leaving interior light on!

Apr 072014

CR-V

Was at the gas station putting gas, when I went to re-start the car, it wouldn't start, the light for electrical steering problem and malfunction came on. The car is a 2012, and on 2013 the dealer replaced the battery on one of the regular maintenance visits supposedly because it had a low charge level, going forward to 2014 this happens.

There is definitely something going on that Honda is trying to ignore! My husband travels a lot, and we bought this vehicle for our family because of the suppose reliability, so much for that! Now I don't know when it'll happen again.

- , Indian Trail, NC, USA