8.1

2. new battery (10 reports)
  3. if honda does not solve such problem, give loyalty elsware (8 reports)
  4. alternator replacement (4 reports)
  5. software upgrade (3 reports)
  6. replace battery (2 reports)
2012 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 242016

CR-V LX

On 4/24/2016 left resturant & had to call a truck for jump start. Dashboard lights up but car won't start. So next day had appointment for oil change had battery checked dealers says battery good but need to have chip updated for $79.00. Never heard of chip in battery, so I declined service. On 4/30/2016 after arriving home from family wedding pulled in garage turned off car and tried to restart same thing again. Is this for real or what ready to leave Honda & go over to Lexus. This is my 3rd owned Honda

- , Frankfort, IL, USA

Mar 062016

CR-V EX L 2.4L 4 cyl

This is about the sixth or seventh time that this has happened and it is pretty embarrassing when you have to shove your vehicle out of the way and jump it off. I have started carrying a jumper box with me but I think Honda should supply the box not me. If this was a clunker I would understand but it has been happening every since brand new. After a year old they did replace the battery but one of the techs told me that they had many new batteries that were bad. They do check my battery when I have it serviced and tell me it is O.K. but I do not believe that. I hear that this is a problem with the 2012 model and if so why is Honda not taking care of it ?

- , Cresson, TX, USA

Dec 012014

CR-V EX-L 2WD 2.5L

So we have this 2012 CRV for my wife, after a year or so, one day she couldn't start the engine, called AAA and they jump started the car and advised us to replace the battery as it was completely drained. Took it to Honda Dealer (Scott Robinson) on Hawthorne Boulevard in Torrance CA and they said everything is OK!

We didn't want to argue with the dealer, and we were thinking may be we forgot the interior light ON (not the headlights as the car has auto light sensor) and for sure after a few month this happened again.... and again and again.... I took it back to the dealership and they said, oooh it's the battery and A/C coil that's causing the battery to leak... and the total is $256... I said I don't mind paying to replace the battery cause it's been three years, but, the we've been always complaining about this issue to you guys.... I asked the service man to check the history, he said noooope you guys never complained about this before! I told him, no way, it has to be there, I remembered last year I took it to the other Scott Robinson service shop close to my work on Crenshaw Boulevard and luckily they documented there that we couldn't start the car and OF COURSE they said everything is OK.

I believe Honda needs to stand behind their products and it's obvious it's not only us who've been having issues with their batteries and couldn't start the car.

We never had a good experience with this dealer, and it's really unfortunate specially when Honda's headquarters are based in Torrance CA!

Regards,

A very frustrated loyal Honda customer!

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Feb 162016

CR-V EXL 2.4L

Need a solution to the problem with the battery running down. Battery and alternator checked out good. Need a solution from Honda.

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Oct 082013

CR-V LX

The battery in this car has been replaced 4 times!!! The dealership would only pay twice. The dealership also claims there is NO PROBLEM with the car!! Are you kidding me--Honda step up the plate and fiure out what is sucking the life out of the batteries.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 112013

CR-V LX 4

Car would not start - was in my underground garage. Roadside came and started - told me I needed a new battery (tried to get me to buy it on the spot). I did not. Drove it immediately to the Honda dealership. Was extremely upset since this was the third occurrence. They finally admitted to a known issue and did some re-calibration to fix it!! No credit towards a new battery or anything either. Although I did not need a new battery at that point in time.

Sep 162013

CR-V LX 4

Sat all day at work. I started without a problem. Went three miles to Sam's Club. Shopped for 20 minutes. Returned to my car and it was completely dead. Roadside service ran a test and said something was draining the battery - maybe the dome light. I turned it off - not automatic and went to Honda dealership. They checked and said all was good. (but it wasn't)

Jun 122013

CR-V LX 4

Battery was completely dead. There was no known cause - I thought maybe I had left the dome light on. Called roadside assistance to help.

Jan 292013

CR-V LX

Every 10 months or so....my crv battery dies I purchased the vehicle in March of 2012. Replaced the battery in January of 2013 Replaced the battery again in February of 2014 December of 2015 - its dead again. I buy new vehicles to avoid car problems. This vehicle cost me over $40,000 and still ----might as well have an old junker---- I never know if I will be able to get my vehicle going.. This should be resolved.... it should be fixed permanently. I always buy Honda CRV touring or top of the line.... Please do something!!

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Mar 012013

CR-V EX

In May of 2012, I purchased a new 2012 Honda CR-V hoping to have a reliable vehicle with good gas mileage. After about 23,000 miles, the battery began to intermittently die. I took it to the dealer and after testing the battery, they indicated that it was fine. The car died again, I took it back, and Honda replaced the battery. All was good until another 20,000 miles. The battery, again, intermittently would die. After a couple of early morning calls to AAA to jump my car, I took it back to Honda. They said sorry, your battery is fine (and that's putting it nicely - I was made to feel like I was crazy). If we can't get it to mimic the problem, there is nothing we can do. The battery was still under warranty, but they would not replace it. Over the next few months, the vehicle seemed to be working properly, and I began to think that maybe they were right. I was wrong. The battery died twice over the 2015 Holidays. We jumped the car and I drove it directly to the service center. I advised I was leaving it until they figured out what was wrong as I did not feel safe operating the vehicle anymore. Thankfully, my car died in the service bay. They ran "numerous" tests and determined that the starter and alternator were fine (I have an extended warranty). The battery was reading that it needed a charge, but not that it had a "bad cell." I left it overnight where they were able to obtain a bad reading, therefore prompting a warranty replacement.

Honda was unable to find the cause of the battery drain. Three batteries over three years - there has to be a defect. Very disappointing.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Apr 082015

CR-V EX V4

The battery should not have died that quickly, and of course not covered by any warranty

- , Morris plains, NJ, USA

Aug 152015

CR-V E XL 2.4L

The battery starts the auto. However I know the battery is weak. I had it checked at two automotive centers. It is about 75% cold cranking amp power. In the last three years it caused. I know the generating power is not good.

- , Quincy, WA, USA

Oct 112015

CR-V SW 2.4L

My car is no longer under warranty but I feel that the car should not be having a problem like this so soon. The company should pay for the repair. I have an appointment to have it fixed tomorrow.

- , Empire, MI, USA

Sep 022015

CR-V EX

Was parked on a busy downtown street, had just turned off the car, was gone 10 minutes at most and car was absolutely dead when I tried to start - no sign of life at all. One way, 2 lane street with cars parked on both sides, so getting a jump was logistically challenging, not to mention totally stress inducing. Hadn't done anything that should have drained battery. Was given a jump and things seemed to be OK.

Fast forward 2 months - I'm curious if it's even going to start today when I try at lunch, seemed like battery was really weak every time I tried to start it yesterday - it should be nice and charged since 2 days prior I had just driven 7 hours on the highway @ 65/70 mph. Was researching what replacement battery to get when I stumbled across this site. Am calling Honda today to see what they say.

- , Portland, USA

Jul 252014

CR-V LX 3.2L

Hope it doesn't happen again but doubtful. They wouldn't listen when I said I needed a new battery. They suggested I had left something on. The lights are on Auto. Not my fault.

- , Avon, USA

Oct 202015

CR-V

We are on our 2nd battery for our 2012 CRV. We are putting in our 3rd and taking back to Honda, not sure what their reply will be.

- , Poway, USA

Sep 092015

CR-V EX V6

Honda is clearly aware of the problem, yet refuses to fix it. The alternator does not supply adequate charge to the battery, and meter is reading 12.0-12.6. Have replaced battery twice in less than three years. Was rudely asked by Honda, "So, you want us to fix it for free? It's not under warranty, you are past 36k miles. So, it's $700." So, a car that I haven't even owned 3 years yet, and paid about $32,000 for, has a known problem, and I'm a moocher because I stupidly thought it would be covered. Honda should do the right thing and fix the defective alternators. It's truly unacceptable. Other than that, I have really enjoyed my CRV.

- , Scottsdale, USA

Aug 032015

CR-V LX 2.4L

I bought the 2012 Honda used with 6000K on it. I thought it was strange that it had a brand new AAA battery in it for a fairly new car. One year later the battery would not hold a charge and I had several dead battery incidents that were becoming a huge nuisance. The worst was on a camping trip in the middle of the San Rafael swell in Utah with no cellphone service. I bought a new battery. The next year that battery started to not holding a charge. I returned it as defective. Now the new battery is showing signs of distress.

I have read the Service Bulletin about the computer not charging the battery fully and have made some calls to local Honda dealers. It appears I will have to come up with another $300+ to fix the problem. I shouldn’t have to put my car on a battery charger on the weekends. Now when I go anywhere where the car will be parked for more than two days I use a solar charger so the battery won’t die. I have no peace of mind with this car. It is my second CRV I have owned. Honda should fix this problem. I can’t believe the battery manufactures are not going after Honda for damages. I will be returning this battery soon.

- , South Jordan, UT, USA

Sep 242015

CR-V LX

For the third time in one month my battery has been dead. The first time Community Honda in Whittier California said it needed a software update and the battery was fine. A month later it happened again and they told me it was my fault because I've had the radio on for a few minutes. They said with newer cars you cannot listen to the radio in the accessory position without draining the battery. Wow first time in 40 years of driving that that has been an issue. They said they tested everything and the battery and electrical and draw rate were fine. Of course it took them three days to tell me this. Meanwhile I did not have my car from Saturday early morning to Monday afternoon. Today after several short trips between my office and my main place of employment, I came out and once again the car was dead and would not start. Nothing had been left on. AAA ran a test strip and said the battery is poor and provided me with the test strip.

Isn't there a three strike law in California?

- , Whittier, USA

Sep 262015

CR-V

We bought this Honda CRV based on Mileage and features. New. Wife drives it small distances EVERY DAY, and seldom at night.

So the vehicle has usage, daily usage, and low voltage since the lights are off. First time it happened was 2 years after we bought it. We were baffled, I gave it a jump with my car and moved on.

Today it happened again. Out of the blue. Thing is this car has a safety feature to turn off the lights in case you forget when you leave the vehicle. Never mind that, cause today it happened in mid-day. Some good Samaritan saw us in the middle of the Texas heat, and gave us a jump (Texas has nothing but kind and friendly people, thank goodness)

I can't risk my wife going to a play date with our 4 year old daughter and getting stranded.

- , Dallas, TX, USA