2012 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

May 282015

When pulling into a parking spot in a parking structure, as I prepared to stop, the automobile, I think, inexplicably accelerated, crashing into the concrete barrier wall. The airbag deployed. To sum up, I think that my car accelerated by itself.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Mar 072015

Car accelerated out of control. I was going in my garage. Ice at front of garage. I tapped the accelerator and I ended up in my garage wall, damaging my car and kitchen. This is the second time this has happened. A year and a half ago, the car accelerated out of control in my neighbors driveway and hit the garage door....updated 04/21/15

- Webster, NY, USA

Oct 182014

CR-V 4-cyl

I went to park in a diagonal, on street parking spot, and applied the brake to stop. The car instead accelerated, jumped the curb and proceeded into an adjoining parking lot. I turned hard right to avoid vehicles and struck the retaining wall at the back of the lot with my left front quarter panel. This impact steepened the turn and shot me back out of the lot and onto the street. I proceeded up the street, the car accelerating all the time. I tried to determine if I was accidentally stepping on the gas, and felt I was indeed on the brake. My car proceeded rapidly up the street, over 1/10th mile in distance. In a panic to try and stop the car I stomped on the emergency brake, which locked up the rear wheels. My rear tires were in a skid for over 150 feet, which produced a sideways skid, the car turning right and slamming broadside into a park vehicle which stopped me. I feel this is a case of unintended acceleration, and have been made aware of other such incidents in late model crvs.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Sep 302013

CR-V 4-cyl

Gave the gas to take off from a dead stop and the car had no reaction. Seemed like the engine died or stopped running. I had to give the gas harder and the engine caught and the tires skidded. This hesitation left my car in a dangerous position as I was entering a 55 mph road. I had plenty of time to get on the road until it finally started moving. This has happened several time since. You never know when it's going to happen again.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Mar 172014

My 2012 CR-V has customizable auto door lock function. It has couple option. 1. with vehicle speed, 2. shift from P. problem with option 2. I select option 2. because I want to get more secure safety. Not less the secure safety. When I was escaping from close road, I need to drive back. I started engine and open driver door to make sure my rear tire is going right way. Changed gear P to R. and door didn't automatically lock. I guess there is protection for when driver door open and engine running, door didn't lock itself. I understand that. But I escape from there and close door and change gear R to D. and drive up to 40 mph. And door is still unlock. This is an error. They can not advertise they have auto lock function for safety. The function give people to understand for have more secure safety by car. They must watch safety while car is driving more then 20mph over 500 feet. If they think really care about safety, they should lock other doors at least. And keep watch what's car status.

- White Plains, NY, USA

May 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

Submission from constituent re 2012 Honda CR-V intermittent problem. The consumer stated the vehicle would pause, when she attempted to accelerate after the vehicle, had been idling. There was zero response for 3-4 seconds, then the vehicle would uncontrollably surge forward. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. The dealer informed the consumer, the problem was her using her left foot to brake. The problem has since been resolved. Updated 01/30/14

- Nampa, ID, USA

Dec 232013

I was driving in town at about 15 mph and was slowing for a left turn when the vehicle surged forward, the surge lasted for about 3 seconds, I applied the brakes but am not sure if this stopped the speed surge or it went away on its own. So fare this has only happened the one time and in no traffic, but am ver concerned about future incident's.

- Hermiston, OR, USA

Sep 012012

CR-V 4-cyl

I bought a new CRV in September 2012. The only problem I have been having is that at certain times, usually at slower speeds when I step on the gas there is a 2-3 second delay before the car accelerates. During this hesitations period the engine does not rev and the car just coasts. This has happened 15 times the past year. This creates a major concern when I'm trying to merge into traffic or pull out from an intersection. Note, my foot was not on the brake and I've had the econ switch in both on and off mode and the problem still occurs. I took my car to the dealer in February 2013 at which time it had 3,500 miles on the odometer. The service department was unable to duplicate the problem. In September 2013 I had work done on an Accord I own and I showed the service advisor copies of 6 reports thru The advisor did not have any response. I now have 8,000 miles on my CRV. I recently reported the problem to Honda customer service and they said they haven't had any similar problems reported. In my opinion they are wrong as there has to be something causing this. At least I have it on file with Honda.

- Durand, IL, USA

Mar 072012

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact was driving approximately 35 mph and stopped for a traffic stop. As the contact attempted to accelerate from the stop, there was a delayed response from the vehicle. The failure recurred ten times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three times where the contact was informed by the manufacturer that there was a defect in the vehicle. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the safety issue. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 01/05/13 updated 02/6/2013

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 212012

CR-V 4-cyl

Bought this car new about a month ago. The only problem I have been having is that at certain times, usually at slower speeds, when I step on the gas there is a 2-3 second delay before the car accelerates. During this hesitation period, the engine does not rev, and the car just coasts. This has happened 10-12 time this past month. This is very dangerous when I am trying to merge into faster moving traffic. I took my car to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the condition nor find anything wrong. They told me they reported the issue to Honda national.

- Makawao, HI, USA

Jul 092012

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CRV. The contact stated that while pulling out of a parking space at 10 mph the vehicle rpms started to increase excessively then there was a sudden acceleration. The vehicle drove over a curb, crash into a building and then rolled over. The contact did not have any physical injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The police were notified and a report was filed. The dealer was notified which offered no assistance. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Bayside, NY, USA

Jun 272012

The contact owns a 2012 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the vehicle was working up to standard. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 6,242.

- Brian , AR, USA