2012 Honda CR-V miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Honda CR-V:

2012 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Oct 042016

CR-V

I was stopped at a redlight with 4 cars in front of me.my car accelerated with my foot still on the brake & pushed all 4 cars into each other.lucky no one was seriously injured.this has cost me a lot of money and couldn't be helped.has anyone else had a problem with this?

- Grayson, GA, USA

Sep 192014

Sun roof glass blowing out on route 24 (Massachusetts) @ 65 mph

- Taunton, MA, USA

Apr 092016

CR-V

It is well documented by Honda that there is an issue with heater cores on these cars. Heater will eventually become plugged and not work. Heat is significantly cooler on drivers side vents than passenger side. My complaint is without heat to defrost windshield in winter conditions it will become a visibility issue due to not having the ability to defrost the windshield. And potentially cause a crash. Honda is very much aware of this issue, yet is charging customers that are out of warranty to rectify the issue. I have 46K miles on my car and am having heater core issues? I noticed the issue early on and it has gotten progressively worse. Had I of known what it was I would have had it fixed under warranty. Honda tsb number is 14-063. Temperature differential from passenger side to driver side in my car is 40+ degrees.

- Herriman, UT, USA

Feb 092016

CR-V

When I use the hands free bluetooth on my vehicle, the person on the other end state they hear a loud buzzing noise and can't hear me speak. I tried switching to my work's iphone and the buzzing noise is still there. It's sounds clear on my end but not on the other end. At this point, I can't use my hands free device on my vehicle which is now a law in my state that we are not allowed to use our phones when driving unless it's connected to hands free.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Apr 222015

CR-V

We have a problem with noise when starting in cold weather. There is a hesitation sometimes when driving like not getting fuel.

- Dry Run, PA, USA

Nov 022015

CR-V

The vehicle makes a loud noise on startup that lasts for 2 or 3 seconds. It usually happens after the vehicle has been sitting for several hours.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Dec 122015

CR-V

The heater core in my 2012 Honda CRV failed. Honda knows the heater cores are defective and issued technical service bulletin 14-063 for 2012, 2013, and 2014 crvs. Honda has not issued a recall. The defective heater cores cause the defroster/heater to emit cold air only. Should the heater core fail during a snow or ice storm it would lead to snow or ice buildup on the windshield. This would severely compromise visibility and could lead to a crash.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 092014

CR-V

I purchased my 2012 CRV in April 2012 brand new and since the winter of 2013 I started noticing crackling/rattling noise when the temperature drops. I contacted curry Honda and was given the run around. Finally in November 2014 when the temperatures started dropping again I wasn't taking no for an answer. I brought it in I was told the noise had to be duplicated in order to figure out what the problem was. Needless to say I left that afternoon not knowing what the issue was. I started doing my own research and found blogs and youtube videos of other 2012 CRV's with the same issue. I contacted american Honda and was given a case number. I brought the vehicle back to curry Honda on 12/9/2014 and was called by the service advisor on 12/10 that the issue was the vtc actuator sb-09-010. The part was replaced. I continued to hear the noise and was advise by my case manager to bring it back to the dealer. On 1/6/15 I dropped the vehicle off and was called on 1/7/15 that again the issue is vtc actuator but that part has to be remanufactured which the engineers are aware but no part yet. The case was closed with no resolution no compensation. I contacted the dealer's customer service rep tasha davis by email on 10/27/15 since the vehicle at start up this morning made the same exact noise. I contacted by tasha and was told there's no answer and I should reopen the case with american Honda. I called them this afternoon and was told by the rep that there's no answer no solution nor is Honda compensating its customers. This is very disappointing and frustrating. I'm still making payments on this vehicle. I was told corey is the dealers american Honda rep but after numerous attempts on trying to get in contact with him, I haven't spoken to him yet. When I purchased the CRV I thought I was getting a brand new good working car but what I got was a new car with a faulty engine part.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Aug 252015

CR-V

My CR-V presents itself with a loud grinding noise at start, caused by a defective, vtc actuator which is referenced in Honda service bulletin 09-010. This problem began in 2008, and is on going. This defect seriously affects resale value, and potentially can cause catastrophic engine failure. This repair should be covered by Honda's 60K power train warranty, but Honda says at the current time there is no fix for this problem, which they have been working on for several years. I have contacted my dealer and Honda usa numerous times without resolution, as the frequency and intensity of the problem worsens. There are numerous unresolved complaints and videos on the internet about this defect. I have consulted a lemon law attorney, but because Honda makes no effort to repair the problem, it doesn't qualify.

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

May 152014

CR-V

This problem has occurred now a total of about six times. The first time was in the spring or summer of 2014, when my car was slightly more than two years old. Generally speaking, what happens is this. When the car is idling or at low speed (in a traffic jam once, slowing for a red light, idling in a driveway, etc.), three engine lights come on. The car then bucks at low speeds and has very little power when accelerating from a stop. When driving, it slowly increases in speed and then, at about 30 mph, starts behaving normally. Basically it acts like it hasn't downshifted and is in too high a gear. On one occasion, on the highway, it seemed also to be struggling to go 60 mph, as if in too low a gear. I had the car looked at in October of 2014, after it happened two more times in quick succession. They were unable to replicate the issue or determine what it was, but updated the car's software. The problem didn't recur until June of 2015. It's now happened twice more in quick succession, and I intend to have it serviced again. Clearly this is a big problem because when the issue occurs the car is unable to accelerate at all quickly. Trying to merge onto a highway under such circumstances is dangerous. The problem eventually resolves itself after you go through several cycles of driving the car, turning it off, driving it again for a while, turning it off, etc. The car's misbehavior lessens and then stops, and eventually the engine lights turn off.

- North Haven, CT, USA

May 302015

CR-V

I was in my 2012 Honda CRV pulling into a parking spot to park when I experienced unintended acceleration. The car would not stop even after hitting the brakes hard but rather sped up causing me to hit the side mirror of a parked car. Finally I turned to avoid another collision and was able to slow the car down that way.

- Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Oct 022014

CR-V

The heater in this car blows cold air and it is nearly impossible to warm up during long commutes even when the fan and heat adjustments are on high. It has not improved during the past three months of cold weather and it doesn't do any good to purchase an AWD vehicle when the heat doesn't even work.

- Monroe, OH, USA