6.8

2013 Honda CR-V electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda CR-V:

2013 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jan 052015

CR-V

Car won't start in Winter time, dead battery. It is not charging correctly.

- , Marion, Iowa, USA

Nov 092014

CR-V EX-L

Ok, yet another problem with car not starting.

1st time - 11/8/14: Car would start (warm outside) & neighbor gave me a jump. I immediately went to Pep Boys to have the battery tested and they said the battery was fine. So I just figured it was a fluke and let it go, since had been sitting for three days while I was out of town. 2nd time - 12/2/14: I am leaving work a little later than normal and the car doesn't start. Fortunately, I saw someone at work in the parking lot and he gave me a jump. We discussed this and he thought the alternator may be the issue. I drive straight to the Honda dealership, where they keep the car overnight. The next day when I return, they said the infamous "battery software update" for the "alternator to properly give the battery the correct signal" needed to occur, but the battery & alternator tested fine. I expressed my concerns, as I had 2 previous Honda's (a CR-V & Accord) that had numerous problems with lights going out and the air conditioning electrical issue. Those things heavily factored into my decision to trade to another Honda...but I am digressing so... 3rd time - 12/15/14: I am leaving to go to work at 7am and again the car will not start. This time it is really bad...no lights would come on in the car, including overhead, turn signals, dash, etc. Also I was not able to use the remote to open the door lock. I had to use my key to get in the car, and when I pushed the door unlock button, nothing happened. I could not physically open the back doors of the car!! This time I decide no jump, and called Honda to tell them what had occurred. Their wrecker service did not pick up my car until 2 1/2 hours later. Long story short, the service manager wanted to "jump" my car, and I told him "no"; he needed to go outside and see what was occurring with my car before doing anything to it, since they always seem to say that "they cannot replicate the problem".

Honda had my car 3 days, so on 12/17/14 (since I had not heard from anyone) I go to the dealership to find out what is happening with my car. They "found" the problem and fixed it. When I asked if any parts had been replaced, they said "no"; it was a "loose electrical connection on a component residing in the power seat module" (I may not be using the exact correct terms). This really disappointed me, as they did not replace anything to fix the car, knowing this has occurred 3x! The assistant service manager said this was "a non billable fix". REALLY!!!

I don't believe my car is "fixed", and frankly I am "petrified" at the thought of driving it again. I have been a victim of crime in my car, so I don't feel safe having a car that you have no idea of when it will/won't start. This could be dangerous and unsafe for me! A woman sitting for possibly hours in a car alone is neither the smartest nor the safest thing to do. Also I regularly have kid(s) in my car, and I am concerned for their safety as well. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to get rid of a car that I have negative equity in, talking with Honda Corporate, along with the dealership. Of course Honda Corporate feels "the dealership carefully look at the car and have correctly fixed the car based on the data they have". Yet, they supposedly "fixed" it before with the software update that did absolutely NOTHING! I spent about an hour expressing my concerns about to the asst. service manager, who feels his mechanic put in "numerous hours with tech support (aka. the software engineers at Honda), and on his own trying to identify the "problem". Well I don't need this to happen again to know that something is very wrong with my car, and a "loose connection" that was not "replaced, but fixed" is not going to stop this car from having starting problems.

What do I do? No electrician I know would tell me to "fix" a bad electrical connection...they would tell me to replace it. Replace the car is what I will do and, take the hit financially, unless they make a decision to replace the “defective” parts in the car. If not, no matter how much money I lose, from getting rid of the car; my life and safety are worth much more than that!!

For other 2012/2013 CR-V owners, here are my suggestions: 1. When the car doesn't start more than once, run to the dealership immediately and have them check the "electrical" modules/components which have some relationship to making a battery discharge if they are not turn off correctly when the car is turned shuts down. Do not buy a battery first. 2. Ask if the "power seat" connections are loose or any other electrical connections related to battery problems. 3. Verify the "battery" software update has been done. 4. Get a "portable charger" so that you can be prepared, mace for protection, [and a spare cell phone portable charger in case you have to sit around for a while :-)]

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 012014

CR-V Navi

Brand new CRV in September . Battery dead when I bought the car. They gave me a new one. At 4999 miles I drove for two hours on the thruway. Stopped to get gas. Turned the car back on, drove 10 more miles. Stopped to meet someone and when I tried to restart it was stone, cold dead!!!

Had to cal AAA..... I bought this car for reliability. That is gone now..... Don't know when it will happen again.

Had the car checked and they found nothing. No parasitic drains on the battery or anything ...

However. My key does not flash the lights or honk the horn when I press 'lock' twice!

That's a new problem!

- , Clifton Park, NY, USA

Oct 222013

CR-V

My wife and I both had Honda vehicles when we were in college. Each of us had great experiences owning our own at the time as well. When we started talking about purchasing a new vehicle, it didn't take long before the decision was made.

My wife and I purchased a brand new 2013 Honda CR-V this summer. We live in Wyoming and drove to Montana to the Honda dealership to make the purchase. We specifically bought the Honda because of the name, durability and reliability, so naturally, we felt good about what we were about to do.

Four months, and 6,000 miles later, we went out to the car (which was in our garage) and found that the car wouldn't start; the battery was dead. We called the Honda dealer. They told us that a door must have been ajar, or the dome light must have been left on. A later investigation proved that it wasn't either. In fact, I'm still not 100% sure why it happened. In any event, the Honda dealer gave us the road-side assistance number. The folks at road-side told us that a jump start wasn't covered under the warranty. I called the Honda dealer back and relayed that information. They said they would help, but that a tow would cost me if they find out we drained the battery. Well, I charged the battery myself and fixed the problem - at least for now...

So, what's my beef??? 1. IF a door were ajar or a dome light left on, should that REALLY drain a battery enough that it causes the vehicle to not start? I can remember when I was a kid and I would grab my parents keys to their car and listen to the music (key in the ignition - reversed) for hours while I shot hoops in the driveway. They never had a problem starting the car afterwards. According to the Honda rep I spoke with, it only takes 15 minutes to drain a battery if the door is ajar and the engine isn't running on the CR-V. THAT is a serious problem Honda needs to fix! 2. I'm incredibly disappointed about the lack of professionalism I got from the Honda dealership. I took care of my own problem and felt like all they did was sell me a car. What I got from them was an assumption for what they think the problem is. However, the next time I'm in town, I'm supposed to stop by and have them look at the battery to make sure it's "OK."

This is a serious problem that I don't want to deal with. It's a new vehicle! When will this happen next? How confident am I supposed to feel with my wife driving her new Honda CR-V???

I'm very frustrated and disappointed in Honda.

- , Cody, WY, USA

Jun 062013

CR-V LX

Waiting in the car in a rain storm with lights left on/engine off. After ~ 15 minutes the battery went dead/could not start the engine. Used a "jump" successfully.

With all the nanny stuff these days, the old one of automatically switching off power use no longer applies on these Honda's it seems.

Dealer says to keep the engine running or be sure to switch everything off manually. The computer does not allow the alternator to charge all the time so a bad timing could coincide with a low battery charge & the above problem. First such problem in 40 years!

- , The Villages, FL, USA