2013 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda CR-V:

2013 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 232015

CR-V

Grinding sound upon start. Probably the vtc actuator.

- Athens, OH, USA

Jan 052015

CR-V 4-cyl

I had left my office about 10 minutes prior to pulling into a shopping center and was driving about 5 mph in the parking lot, looking for a parking space. I saw one and slowed down even more to barely moving, and was easing into the parking space with my right foot on the brake. Just as the car stopped and I was getting ready to put it into park, the engine suddenly revved up and the car jumped the curb and hit a tree about 5 feet in front of the parking space at full force. It was like the accelerator had been pressed all the way to the floor. I was totally stunned. The entire front of the car was smashed in and radiator fluid was coming out of the bottom of the car. When this incident occurred, I was not talking on the phone; I was not drinking or eating anything in the car; I did not even have the radio turned on. I was not in an emotional state; I am not psychotic, homicidal, or suicidal. I had both hands on the steering wheel as I had just made a slow left turn into the parking space and was barely moving, with my foot on the brake. I have gone on the internet to research anything like this occurring with other Honda CRV's, and there are numerous incidences cited involving the 2011 and 2013 models. It happens in very cold weather (freezing or below), while the brake is engaged. It was in the low 30's at the time and my foot was on the brake. Luckily, the tree stopped my forward motion, or I would have ended up driving thru the plate glass window of the ups store. Other drivers have not been so lucky - some have been taken to the hospital, other cars involved, other people injured. I am absolutely terrified of driving this vehicle again.

- Celina, TX, USA

Feb 282014

CR-V 4-cyl

During winter months at freezing and below part # 110153 variable timing control, vtc actuator malfunctions. At the first start up the vehicle makes a grinding noise (metal upon metal). This was confirmed by the originating dealer and I was told that even though this happens consistently in CRV-S when the temperature falls at or freezing that there is nothing to worry about. The engine won't freeze up nor will there be any damage to the power train? the part in question is unable (at low temperatures) to push oil up into the engine upon initial cold start-up in the mornings. This was how it was explained to me by the dealer. When I asked to speak to the Honda representative who was at the store when the dealer replaced the part on 11 November, 2014 (and within less than 24 hours it failed) I was never allowed to do so. I lived with this all of last winter and now this winter as well or so it appears. I was informed by the dealer that this was an issue on several 2013 Honda CR-V's sold in states where the climate is freezing or below. I was also informed that a fix was in the works by Honda. Well a fix has been in the works now since at least February of this year 2014 and nothing has been achieved. I was told by the dealer to call Honda customer relations. The dealer wiped their hands of the situation. I don't believe that there will not be damage to the engine ( and possibly cause it to freeze up while on the road) potentially causing a serious hazard/accident. Last, (and least of all) when I want to sell and/or trade in this vehicle it's value will be substantially diminished because of this defect that I am (by law) required to disclose. Funny how the dealer knew this when they sold me the car but never disclosed the defect to me!

- Downington, PA, USA

Oct 142014

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

On 9/23/14 30000 mile check up performed at dealership where I bought the car. On 10/14/14 in heavy rush hour traffic I accelerated to pass a car on interstate 4; vehicle hiccuped and lost power; able to go to shoulder of the road across 3 lanes of traffic; turned vehicle off then on again; vehicle started without hesitation. Drove car to dealership where I bought it; they checked it out; said they could not find anything wrong; however, they ran a computer update for the alternating system stating that they "think" problem is solved. Contacted Honda regional; they authorized an inspection at a different Honda dealership on 11/12/14. I was again told that they could find no reason that the vehicle lost power; at that point, Honda regional told me there is nothing more they can do. I am not satisfied with this answer. Do I have any recourse?

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 082013

CR-V 4-cyl

While attempting to legally turn right into an intersection, the vehicle started to move but suddenly the accelerator failed to respond, leaving me and my family in the middle of the road for a approximately 3 to 5 seconds, while other vehicles were approaching. After a few seconds, the vehicle abruptly responded and I was able to continue my trip. This event has occasionally occurred since then. The issue has been discussed with the authorized dealer representative, but nothing has been done since no warning light or indicator has revealed any failure code.

- Carolina, PR, USA

May 262014

CR-V 4-cyl

Bran new Honda CRV purchase maybe 13miles21K miles later and after a scheduled oil change, the vehicle was idling rougher than normal(I know the difference in the vehicle, from bran new till 21K miles) then we started loosing power on the takeoff.1 day later after reaching 25mph the vehicle felt as though we lost all power and the check engine light came on and went off as quick.called the dealership and told them exactly what happened and all they said(is the light still on, we need a light to pull a code to diagnose it)took it in the next business day for a lookthey could not find anything due to no light and no malfunction at that time.days later the wife taking the daughter to school proceeded to merge onto interstate driving about 55mph.not even a mile onto the interstate the vehicle slowed down like loss of power and shut off, in the middle of 2lane 70mpha diesels swerved just in time to miss smashing the CRV from behindwife was so scared and my daughter was shakingthe wife let it roll off the interstate onto the shoulder as much as the vehicle would allow possible.towed the vehicle into dealership with light onthey pulled a code that told them (3rd cylinder misfire) the dealership changed the sparkplug for the 3rd cylinder and we picked it upa few weeks later the vehicle did the same exact thing to at only feet further than last time traffic nearly piling up and colliding with one another to miss the CRV. Wife and daughter scared out of their minds and shaking up bad.towed it into dealership and they pulled the exact code the dealership changed the 3rd coil and flashed the computer and called Honda to ask if the results needed any further fix. The manager of the dealership told me Honda said" it is within the running limits" and we picked up the crvtill this day the new21K mile Honda CRV continues to shutter, lose ac fan power and dive power with no code to date.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 082013

CR-V 4-cyl

Coasting at 10 mph and no pressure on accelerator, when I give the car moderate gas the engine does not respond unless I rock the accelerator or accelerate hard. I now have 6526 miles on the car and a second trip to the dealer and the problem is more pronounced. The Honda dealers statement is that the transmission is waiting for the computer to tell it to downshift or stay in present gear and accelerate and nothing can be done to eliminate the problem. It does not show up as a code. This could be a problem for new or less experienced drivers and conceivably cause a driver to be rear ender or hit a car from behind...

- South Amboy, NJ, USA

Apr 232014

CR-V

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that when starting the vehicle, a grinding noise was heard from the front end. The failure was recurring and intermittent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 19,000. Kmj

- Northville, MI, USA

Mar 282014

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle hesitated. The vehicle taken to the dealer where it was found that the computer needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 5/27/14 the consumer stated there was a delay in acceleration. At times, there would be no response from the vehicle, as if, it cut off and then the vehicle would suddenly lurch forward. Updated 08/19/14

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Sep 151995

CR-V

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CRV. The contact stated that upon starting the vehicle, there was a grinding noise heard on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the variable timing control actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was returned within a week of the repair and the same exact part was replaced. The vehicle exhibited the failure again but was not repaired. The contact still heard the grinding noise with no remedy for the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 132014

CR-V 4-cyl

On cold days at first start up the engine makes a grinding noise. This has been an issue for Accord and CR-V since 2008. Honda has issued a bulletin saying it's the vtc actuator but there has been no permanent fix or recall on defective part(s). Grinding noise can be sporadic so only if dealer can replicate issue will they replace the actuator and even then grinding noise can return weeks or months later when it gets cold again (I, E, every winter). For a problem that has existed for so many years, there should have been a permanent fix by now. Especially for a brand new vehicle. In my case I've had the grinding noise since December '13 although sporadic as mentioned depending on outside temp and how long the vehicle has not be started.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Dec 262013

CR-V 4-cyl

2013 Honda CR-V. consumer writes in regards to vehicle TPMS system issues. Approximately, 4 1/2 months after the vehicle was purchased, the consumer began having problems with the TPMS. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer 4 times. On January 18, 2014 the dealer replaced the rear TPMS sensors, but that evening the TPMS light illuminated again and has been intermittently coming on since that time. Also, there was a grinding noise, that occurred immediately after start-up. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 262013

CR-V 4-cyl

Upon initial startup of the engine there is a grinding sound. This particular issue has only occurred twice and hard to replicate unless it's very cold. At first it sounded like a starter issue, but others have said it's the vtc actuator and an oil pressure issue when it's cold outside. Even though my car is garaged it has occurred twice in two weeks so it is a concern. Dealership will not do anything unless they can replicate it. This video shows exactly what the sound is like: www.youtube.com/watch?V=kr20baoxbo8.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Sep 152013

CR-V

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the engine exhibited a loud grinding noise when starting in cold weather. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that the variable timing control (vtc) and the vtc actuator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 222013

CR-V

After coming to a full stop at a stop sign or red light and turning either left or right under normal acceleration the rpms drop to zero for a spit second and then power is restored. This happens only on turns. It is an on going problem. Honda dealer and Honda Corp. Say no problem. Does not register on the computer in the car. I have an email from the salesman that sold us the car that he has two women that work for him with the same problem (I can forward the email at your request). Their solution is to turn the econ system off. As this happens only in stop and go situations turning the econ system off defeats the purpose of the system. I have had more than one close call. I drive this car a little as possible at this time under 5,000 miles as I am a realtor in this time frame there would be double the miles. This started as we drove home from the dealership.

- Fallon, NV, USA

Oct 252013

CR-V 4-cyl

Correct recall on some CRV - if the gear selector is moved from the park position without pressing the brake pedal it can allow the vehicle to roll away, increasing the risk of a crash. Accident I stopped my car thought I put it in park and left it running to put up a garage sale sign. The next thing I know my car was driving away by itself like someone jumped in the car. I was out of the car and about 10 feet behind the car when the car started to move. The car was not on a hill but just started going. There was no way I could stop it and thank god it hit a mailbox that was in a tub of cement which stopped the car. If it did not hit this it could of keep going and hit someone else or someone on the main road route 46 in mine hill. I am afraid to even drive it when I get it back. This is a leased car and I can't even believe I had to have this happen. Of course I got a ticket. I am concerned since I would not like this to happen to anyone else someone could of been killed.

- Succasunna, NJ, USA

Jan 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that mostly from a stopped position, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer, who stated that the throttle wire cable was non-existent and the electronic system was causing the vehicle to stall. The dealer stated the manufacturer was aware of the issue but at the time, the engineers did not have a remedy available. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. Updated 11-18-13

- Ramona, CA, USA

Sep 182013

CR-V 4-cyl

While traveling in stop and go traffic, I was fully stopped with my foot on the brake peddle. Suddenly I heard & felt the engine of my car revving up. My car catapulted forward about 20 feet hitting the car in front of me. I applied more pressure on the brake peddle but could not stop the forward momentum of my car. Both cars sustained damage. The other driver was taken to the hospital in an ambulance because she complained of head, neck & back pain.

- Valleljo, CA, USA

Jan 282012

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but the dealer was unable to diagnosis the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 8.

- Dixmoor , IL, USA