8.2

2013 Honda CR-V lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda CR-V:

2013 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 202016

CR-V

The headlights on this vehicle do not provide adequate illumination. We are reviewing/considering aftermarket lighting to correct this situation. The low beams only project about 10 feet in front of the vehicle (even with the driving lights on) and the high beams are very dim and offer very little light immediately in front of the vehicle. When turning, there is not enough light to safely see the side road if there are no street lights. In rural areas, the dim lights make it impossible to see wildlife such as deer soon enough to safely avoid them. My CRV has been returned to the dealer twice and they were able to make some adjustments to try to fix the problem. The dealer has told me that customers have complained about poor lighting for many years and nothing has been done. I have purchased high output bulbs and the improvement has been minimal. I have called Honda and asked how I could obtain the better headlights that are available in europe and been told that I cannot. I have asked if driving lights could be left on with the high beams and told no. The dealer offered to install post-market non-Honda headlights for me but Honda told me that I would void my warranty. Honda customer service told me that she was not aware of any headlight complaints however many complaints are readily available on the internet. She took down my information and entered it into a computer and I have heard nothing back - that was a month ago. Something needs done about these headlights - someone is going to be seriously injured and obviously Honda does not care. This should be a simple fix as I know they have better headlights for this vehicle in the european market.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Sep 032015

CR-V

Very little night driving done and 6 mos. Spent in Florida. Defective lights discovered sometime 2013. Can only see 20 feet of road at night without using high beams. Very dangerous driving. Dealer said specs. Ok and refused to do anything to correct. Called Honda and they recommended taking to another dealer stating they had no complaints. Several complaints on line.

- Ashland, OH, USA

Sep 202014

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

I purchased the vehicle from independence Honda in bloomsburg, pa. It was a Saturday close to closing time. The salesman and his boss were eager to make the sale, and said if you sign the papers today, name your price. All along knowing about the headlight issue/defect! I not knowing about the headlights, made the deal and paid in full. The following Monday I complained about a rattle and told them to adjust the headlights. They fixed the rattle and said the headlights were within specs or specifications! I would just have to get used to them! still didn't like the insufficient visibility so I took the vehicle to a local mechanic. This mechanic said the internet is loaded with people complaining about Honda's headlights. He suggested I contact the dealership. The same day I called the dealership and asked to speak to the service department manager. He said, "when the high beams are on, the low beams are off, that's just the way it is." He also said, "the lights are not the same as on a GMC vehicle." Again was told - "get used to it!" my complaint - the headlights don't provide adequate lighting. It is most definitely a safety issue! it is a defect that is not being corrected. Does there have to be deaths before something is done" can you tell me what recourse is available for me to get proper headlights" Honda is getting away with murder!

- Beaver Meadows, PA, USA

Oct 312013

CR-V

The headlights keep blowing. Have been through 3 sets in 10 months! taken it in to Honda, and they blame the consumer's improper installation as a cause. We had auto zone help us install them each time. Been complaining since day 1 that the headlights constantly dim and come back up. Honda blames the cars "small battery" as the reasoning behind it. Then if it's their "battery" that's causing it then make the space bigger! also, on multiple occasions have noticed the car lags when hitting the accelerator. Has almost caused multiple collisions. You press the accelerator expecting the car to move, but it delays. Which is really dangerous when your trying to make a quick turn. Honda says "it's normal, all cars do it". there really needs to be recalls issued for these! these things are major safety issues! I've reviewed multiple people stating the same issues with their Honda's, and yet Honda refuses to help their consumers and still continues to produce faulty and dangerous cars.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Aug 282014

CR-V 4-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Honda CR-V new on February 8, 2013. Today the right side headlight went out. Because of a history of problems with headlights on previously owned Cr-vs, I am not looking forward to what's ahead with the headlights on this car. I have owned a new 1997 CRV, and a new 2006 CRV. In both previous vehicles, which were purchased new and traded with over 250K miles on each, I had recurring problems with headlights constantly going out, often one within days of the other, and especially with the 2006 CRV, every 3 to 4 months. I went to several Honda dealerships on numerous occasions and was always told that there was recall or persistent problem. I commute 120 miles roundtrip daily for work, and I work in a rural area, covering 6 very rural counties. Sometimes my headlight would go out while I was driving on dark, 2 lane rural highways. In the 2006 vehicle, my headlights were going out so frequently that I started buying 2 bulbs at a time so that I always had a back up bulb. This is a serious safety hazard that Honda has apparently avoided fixing over the years. I am aware of the owner blogs for CRV-S where many Honda CRV owners have complained about this. I have put family members on notice that if I am involved in an accident in my car at night and cannot speak for myself, they should pay special attention to whether my headlights were functioning properly. In addition, on this 2013 CRV, neither the low beam nor the high beam head lights seem bright enough at night. Although I love the CR-V otherwise, because of this persistent problem with the headlights that I believe Honda is aware of and has chosen not to repair, this will very likely be the last Honda that I purchase. This is a serious safety hazard, and I would not be surprised if there is eventually a class action lawsuit against Honda because of this problem.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Mar 302013

CR-V 4-cyl

Brand new 2013 Honda CRV. Worst headlights ever on any car I have owned. Nighttime visibility is horrible. Went back to dealer and they acknowledged problem but claimed inability to do anything about it. Contacted Honda in California several times and they assigned a case number. Replaced the stock bulbs with higher intensity ones and achieved marginal improvement. Only a question of time before people start dying because of this horrible Honda design. Please make Honda recall these defective cars and fix them. Dealer told me I should have test drove car after dark so that I would not have bought it. Other dealer told me Honda sells 300,000 of these cars a year some of them are bound to be defective. Internet is loaded with CRV owners like me with the same complaint. Please look into this. Go get one of these cars and drive it. Come drive mine if you want.

- Guilford, CT, USA

May 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

The headlights on this vehicle do not provide adequate illumination. We reside in a rural Suburban area and the headlights do not give off sufficient illumination to properly see the road conditions. We are reviewing/considering aftermarket lighting to correct this situation.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 022013

CR-V 4-cyl

As the days became shorter, I was driving after dark and noticed that the headlights are dangerously inadequate. The low beams only project about 10 feet in front of the vehicle (even with the driving lights on) and the high beams are very dim and offer very little light immediately in front of the vehicle. When turning, there is not enough light to safely see the side road if there are no street lights. In rural areas, the dim lights make it impossible to see wildlife such as deer soon enough to safely avoid them. My CRV has been returned to the dealer twice and they were able to make some adjustments to try to fix the problem. The dealer has told me that customers have complained about poor lighting for many years and nothing has been done. I have purchased high output bulbs and the improvement has been minimal. I have called Honda and asked how I could obtain the better headlights that are available in europe and been told that I cannot. I have asked if driving lights could be left on with the high beams and told no. The dealer offered to install post-market non-Honda headlights for me but Honda told me that I would void my warranty. Honda customer service told me that she was not aware of any headlight complaints however many complaints are readily available on the internet. She took down my information and entered it into a computer and I have heard nothing back - that was a month ago. Something needs done about these headlights - someone is going to be seriously injured and obviously Honda does not care. This should be a simple fix as I know they have better headlights for this vehicle in the european market.

- Harrod, OH, USA

Nov 022013

CR-V 4-cyl

Hi beams are very ineffective and dangerous. They shine too high and light up the trees but not the road ahead. Live in a very rural area with many deer and this is of concern. If the dealer lowers the beam then that makes the low beams worse where they were ok. So adjusting the height of the hi beam is not the solution as it then makes the low beam too low. It's more a design flaw with the reflectors I believe. Only really noticed the issue once we changed daylight savings time and I started driving more at night on rural roads. Which now being winter is more and more common for me so it is a concern when having to use the hi beams.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Dec 172013

CR-V 4-cyl

The high beam headlights on this vehicle and my daughter's similar car are a defective design. There are many complaints already regarding this. The only way you can see decently is with a combination of low beams and driving lights.

- Ashburnham, MA, USA

Oct 052013

CR-V

When high beams are on, the low beams go off making it very difficult to see for 25 to 30 feet. If a child or a dog were to run in front of the auto I wouldn't have enough reaction time to avoid hitting them.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Mar 012013

CR-V

The headlights on full beam are hopelessly inadequate and are a serious danger to drivers who live in rural areas where there are no street lights. The Honda dealer tried replacing bulbs but all to no avail and Honda denies there is a problem. I have been wrestling with this problem since I purchased the car in February, 2013 from zimbrick Honda in madison, Wisconsin. The dealer has tried to help but is unable to fix.

- Fort Atkinson, WI, USA

Oct 302012

CR-V 4-cyl

The headlights on the 2013 Honda CRV are grossly inadequate. There is very little light on the road when the lights are on high beam. The light is very narrow and the road edge is poorly illuminated to the point that it is difficult to see our driveway when returning home after dark. My wife is afraid to drive this vehicle after dark. We have never owned a car with such poor headlights. The Honda dealership says there is no recall and there is nothing they can do. At my insistence, a brighter bulb was installed and that improved things only slightly. This is our third CRV and our previous models (2004, 2006) did not have this problem. In my opinion this issue should be thoroughly investigated.

- Crosslake, MN, USA

Oct 082013

CR-V

When I turned on bright lights while driving home on a dark country road, I could not see adequately. The road is absolutely dark in front of car, and the rather dim light is instead focused far ahead in the trees. The only alternative is to switch to dim lights which light road immediately in front of car (and are -brighter" than the "bright" lights), but do not light far enough ahead to be able to avoid hitting anything (like deer) entering the road in front. I've never had lights this bad on any vehicle I've ever owned. They are quite dangerous.

- St Francisville, LA, USA

Sep 022013

CR-V

The contact owns a 2013 Honda CR-V. the contact stated the headlights provided inadequate lighting. The contact stated that whenever the low or high beam head lamps were engaged, they would distort the night vision of the roadway. The manufacturer was notified and they informed the contact that the headlights could have possibly been a design flaw. The approximate failure mileage was 100. Updated 11/13/13 the consumer stated the headlights appeared to be dismantled. The headlights were checked and their alignment was adjusted. The consumer purchase a pair of brightest halogen bulbs and not the low beam lighting is adequate. However, the high beam are still bad, as there is no illumination on the road directly in front of the vehicle for at least 100 feet, yet down the road is fine.

- Valley Village, CA, USA

Sep 182013

CR-V 4-cyl

I purchased this car in March 2013. I live in a very rural area with no street lights, etc. It is pitch black at night. Believe it or not, I have not driven this car after dark until just recently. When driving I could hardly see much in front of me at all. The low beams are most inadequate and the high beams are useless. The road if front of the car was barely lit up at all. It was a very scary situation, has never happened with any other car I have owned. I went around a curve and almost drove off the road. And it was a clear night, no rain, fog etc. I paid over $30,000 for this car and am afraid to drive it at night!! as safety conscious as Honda is, I cannot believe that this situation is acceptable to them. It certainly isn't for me. Please, can you tell me if there is a solution to this problem ( changing bulbs, etc). I would appreciate any feedback to help resolve this dangerous situation. There really should be a recall for this safety issue. This is a terrible accident waiting to happen.

- Lake Ariel, PA, USA

Sep 152013

CR-V 4-cyl

Engaging the Honda CR-V high-beams on a dark road drastically diminishes visibility immediately in front of the vehicle and out about 25 feet. While the high-beams illuminate street signs and tree tops a great distance ahead of the vehicle, close-in lighting is dangerously lacking making for unsafe driving conditions. When the high-beams go on, the low-beams go off and there is almost no illumination close in. Other 2012 / 2013 CR-V owners have complained about this on various internet websites including www.crvownersclub.com and www.edmunds.com. there appears to be no fix from the dealer or Honda at this time.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Apr 132013

CR-V 4-cyl

Low beams & fog lights work well. But the high beams are awful // using high beams we have a 30 to 40 yard field of darkness in front of us.could not see if anything or anyone ran in front of the car. Very dangerous. Dealer says the lights are working normally nothing can be done. Honda should do something about this dangerous situation.

- Rome, NY, USA

Aug 012013

CR-V 4-cyl

The bright lights are aimed at tree tops and cant be adjusted. You cant see the road surface when lights are on high beam. Also need to have running light on when using low beams. Bad lights.

- Doran, VA, USA

Jul 312013

CR-V 4-cyl

When entering a highway on-ramp in making the turn all doors were suddenly unlocked and the front courtesy lights in the passenger compartment came on. This has now happened about 10 times when cornering.

- Kearneysville , WV, USA