Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

1. replaced a/c clutch (2 reports)
2002 Honda Civic AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Jun 142011

Civic ES

hi out there, i'm almost sure my problem is the ac clutch from what i have been reading because when i engage it, the whining gets less noticeable. so my ? is can the clutch just be replaced or do i replace the whole compressor unit. my garage tells me you should do the whole thing its about the same cost. i've read different.

- , Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Feb 012011

Civic LX 1.7L 4

I have a whining noise coming from the A/C compressor

- , Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Aug 152008

Civic EX 4 cyl

My car was making a really loud whining sound that was coming from the A/C compressor. I took it to the dealer, and they said that I needed a new compressor, and wanted about $1000 to replace it. I did some research online and found that it was probably just the clutch making the noise, so I went back to the dealership and ordered the part. They still wanted a ton of money to replace it because they said that they had to remove the compressor and flush the system. The instructions I read online said that it was just a bolt and a spring slip. I took it to a mom and pop shop and they replaced it for me for about $50 bucks. It got rid of the whine.

- , Fairhaven, MA, USA