3.6

2002 Honda Civic drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments

Apr 012006

Civic

Our Honda Civic 2002 also is having the same problem as described by others, in that the SRS light is on and for seemingly no reason (according to the mechanic). The mechanic reset the light, but it came back on within 2 weeks. I wouldn't care if there truly isn't anything wrong, like the mechanic states, however, in order for the car to pass state inspection, it can not be on. Thus, it will be costly for me to take it to the local Honda dealer which already has charged an arm and a leg for a transmission that had to be replaced after only having the car for less than 4 years. I was the one that pushed my husband buy a Honda for the reliability factor, but between the transmission and now the SRS issue that needs to be resolved, it's looking like my husbands 2000 Jeep Cherokee is fairing better in repairs than my Honda?? sad!!!!! very sad!!!

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 182008

Civic

I started to feel the transmission slipping little by little and it just got worst from there to the point that the transmission just gave way. It just revs and does not shift into gears it will be more or less than about $1,500 to 2,000 to fix the problem. Wish they could had made a recall about this on my 2002 Honda Civic ex.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Jun 132008

Civic

Car was driving fine, then started shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd. Lost all power and would not shift into any gear. Check engine light came on code P0730 "incorrect gear ratio" called Honda repairs will cost $1,700. I searched the net and found that this problem is very common with Civics 01-03. I feel Honda should goodwill atleast the tranny.....

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 292006

Civic 4-cyl

(1) crunching sound with any bumps in the road (2) the damage to right front tire, the cv boot & shaft, was due to defective strut coming loose. (3) all parts were replaced under warranty that was within the 1st year of ownership, with 3,000 miles on the car. This again happened again in 2006 on the left side, with 25,000 miles on the car, this time they said it had a defective cv joint shaft & boot was twisting with left side shock being defective & damaged also. Honda dealer paid for all but $300 to replace & repair all that they found. This 2002 Honda Civic LX still has a crunching sound in the front end with bumps & turns after repair 6 weeks ago.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 302002

Civic

Air bag light appears on the dashboard panel. Also, the passenger's side seat had broken while traveling on the highway. Dealership is aware of the problem. The consumer states that the passenger side seat slips, the seat belt on the drivers side will not retract and when its not in use it catches in the door, the speed controls main switch lamp had gone out.

- Springfield, OH, USA