CarComplaints.com Notes: Yes, the Honda Civic receives a lot of complaints because so many were sold. And sure, car parts only last so long and things eventually break. But it's never good to see this many transmission complaints, especially when the average mileage at failure is just north of 100,000 miles.

Especially when you consider that it's predecessor also has a nasty history with transmission complaints.

2002 Honda Civic lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

2002 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 202015

Civic

I was recently driving and my headlights stop working low beams the high beams still work perfectly but the low beam don't know I been reading and on this website there is a recall for my model and make but when I out my VIN nothing pops out...how can I get it fixed like other drivers

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V370000 (air bags), NHTSA campaign number: 15V320000 (air bags), and NHTSA campaign number: 12V136000 (exterior lighting). The contact mentioned that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated the part needed for repair was unavailable and that the vehicle would need to be inspected prior to the part order being placed to the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Edingburg , TN, USA

Feb 122015

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the passenger side low beam headlight failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the head lamp and fuse. The failure recurred after the repair. In addition, an unknown warning indicator illuminated and the air conditioner became inoperable. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 300,000. MA 09/25

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Feb 162015

Civic 4-cyl

I was on my way home from work and I had a horrible car accident I hit a 80,000 lb steel truck my air bags deployed so hard it broke my sternum come up hit my chin busting it open and chipping my front tooth. It also broke my shoulder in 3 places from the seat belt and air bag together. I have bad injuries from the accident and cannot work for a year or more.

- Jesup, GA, USA

Feb 202015

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V136000 (exterior lighting), 14V351000 (air bags), and 14V349000 (air bags). The parts were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 172015

Civic 4-cyl

My passenger head light is out again. It hasn't happened in a year but in the past both lamps have went out multiple times. I saw there was a "silent " recall on the head lights in 2012, how do I find out if this is the problem? I'm the only owner.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Nov 182014

Civic 4-cyl

My daughter (18 yrs. Of age) recently purchased a 2002 Honda Civic and was involved in an automobile accident. In this accident the unfortunate thing was her air bag did not deploy and her chest hit the steering wheel. She was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. X-rays were done and she was just bruised and no broken bones. She may have not sustained any injuries if the air bag would have deployed. I know Honda has had law suits filed against them because of air bags deploying and causing injury, but in her case it caused injury that maybe could have been avoided if it had deployed. Thanks

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 142012

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 45 mph, the low beam headlights became inoperable without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V136000 (exterior lighting). The failure mileage was 82,920.

- San Francisco , CA, USA

Sep 052014

Civic 4-cyl

I received a recall notice in Sept. Of 2012 for the wiring on the low beam headlights, at that time the dealer didn't have the parts for repairs.finally I am getting around to getting it corrected.but when I called the dealer they refused to schedule this repair because they said this VIN# does not exist.I called Honda of usa but they wouldn't say what the problem is, but if isend a copy of my license and registration they would review & advise. My car is titled, tagged, registered with this VIN. Now it is recalled.how am I supposed to proceed with recall 12V-136 if the dealer refuses service.

- Rohrersville, MD, USA

Jul 012014

Civic 4-cyl

My Civic was previously repaired under a recall to fix a problem with the headlights failing. At that time, the lights had not shown any problems. The dealer replaced the terminal and wiring under the recall, but did not replace the combination switch for the headlights. Then in July the lowbeam headlights both failed. The dealer said the previous recall would not cover the combination switch replacement so I replaced the combination switch myself which resolved the problem. This problem is identical to the one that the recall was for originally and since the combination switch was not replaced at that time I think the recall should have covered the replacement of the switch now.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Low beam headlights went out without warning. Headlight bulbs are not burnt out but will not come back on. Hi beam headlights are operative. Failure is similar to the campaign number 04V086000 but Honda will not repair because they say my VIN number is not in the recall. Not sure why, but at high speed this could have very easily caused a serious accident.

- Camas, WA, USA

Jan 032013

Civic 4-cyl

2002 Honda Civic LX. Consumer writes in regards to problem with low beam lights recall notice. The consumer stated his complaint, was with the extent of the recall by Honda. The left side low beam had already been replaced earlier in the year. When he inspected the light, the end socket which attached to the light bulb had melted on the low beam side. He cleaned the melted plastic from the inside of the freely swinging low beam terminal and from around the ground terminal and re-attached the socket. The low beam worked again. The consumer then checked on buying a replacement socket from Honda, but he discovered Honda only offered the entire wiring harness. The consumer was hoping, the recall addressed the socket, but he stated the main problem was at another connection. Also, the air bag light illuminated at the beginning of the year. A recall had been issued for the air bag and the consumer had the procedure done on 03/15/12. The air light went off for about a week, and then came back on. The maintenance required light also illuminated. The consumer stated it would not turn off, because the knob on the odometer had bad contacts.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 162012

Civic 4-cyl

I took my Honda Civic 2002 into condon auto in sioux city, Iowa, for a light switch recall. The recall was completed. I drove the car home. Tried to start the car again and no starter. $350 later they replaced wires to the starter and the car runs again. It is possible this was a coincidence but beware having recalls done at this location.

- Dakota Dunes, SD, USA

Jul 182012

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle, the head lights failed. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic where they stated that the light bulb was fine but there was a wiring issue. The contact had previously received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 12V136000 (exterior lighting:headlights:switch) and took the vehicle to the dealer where they stated that the head lights had burned out but the repair was not covered under the recall campaign. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Oct 292011

Civic 4-cyl

While driving at night both low beams went out. Three days later received a letter from Honda concerning recall due to light failure. Took it to Honda and they said that the cause of my failure was not recall related. I find it very odd that I would lose both my headlights at the same time a recall is being issued and they are saying it is unrelated.

- Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Sep 252012

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle headlight low beam failed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was not illuminating properperly with the low beam; the contact had to switch to the high beam. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic whom inspected the vehicle. The failure was located at the head light switch internal wires. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 130,000.

- Arlington , VA, USA

Feb 012011

Civic 4-cyl

For the past 1.5 years, the low beams for both the driver and passenger side, have failed without warning while driving. This has occurred about 8 times (3-4 times for each side). After failing, a new lightbulb would have to be installed. The low beam component of the new lightbulb would only last about 2-4 months before failing again. Honda issued a voluntary recall for 2002 Civics, which does not describe my problem. However, my neighbor received NHTSA recall 12V-136, which does describe my problem. It states, "there is a potential failure with the wiring of the low beam headlights which may cause the low beam headlights to fail...the dealer will replace the low beam terminal and if necessary the combination lighting switch." In the voluntary recall, Honda will only replace the combination lighting switch. I do not understand why the NHTSA feels that Honda should replace the low beam terminal in the CR-V models, but for the same exact problem in other models, Honda does not feel they should replace the low beam terminal. I brought my Civic in for the voluntary recall. My driver side low beam had already failed (just shy of two months old. The passenger side is likely to fail soon.) after the work was complete, my low beam still was not functional. The technician explained that the recall does not authorize him to replace my lightbulb free-of-charge. When I called America Honda, I asked about receiving a replacement lightbulb. The representative said that the problem I was experiencing was different than what the recall covered. Later, he said that if the wording used in NHTSA's recall 12V-136 was used, I wouldn't even be on the phone with him. However, he explained that I would have to pay for their diagnosis services, and if the low beam terminal is the cause, I would have to pay for that myself.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Feb 012011

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jan 102012

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the low beam headlights were inoperable. Also, the wiring harness behind the bulb and the steering column was melted. The dealer advised the contact that his VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 04V086000 ( exterior lighting:headlights) and offered no further assistance. The manufacturer was aware of the failure but failed to offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current and the failure mileages were 163,000.

- Beauford, SC, USA

Jan 132012

Civic 4-cyl

Both low beams failed at the same time. High beams unaffected. Inspected combination switch and connector, switch is failing and low beam wire and connector is discolored indicating overheating. It is obvious that NHTSA recall 04V086000 / Honda service bulletin 04-015 applies to this vehicle even though the Honda service bulletin and dealer claims it is out of range... updated 02/06/12.

- Renton, WA, USA