1. replace transmission, PCM, valve & sensor (35 reports)
  3. rebuild torque converter (1 reports)
2000 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Odyssey:

2000 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 182008

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

This was the 2nd time the transmission was replaced, but not the last. It failed again at 160,000 we had it replaced for $2,500 and then we sold it. Honda has a great reputation and I'd just like to add a little reality to this image. Honda made a defective transmission for 2000 and never solved the problem just kept rebuilding the same defective design. Not very proactive. I thought I had a new transmission at 80k miles only to find out that this transmission is unreliable and expensive. I remember a time when the British had trouble holding onto their automotive technical edge and it seems another island nation is going the same route.

- , Saint John, IN, USA

Sep 112011

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

This rebuilt transmission failed after 40,000 miles of use, beyond the dealer's warranty of one year or 12,000 miles. This is the SECOND transmission failure on a car that now has 152,000 miles.

1. Clearly there is a design issue with this drive train paired to this vehicle.

2. I assumed a "rebuilt" transmission would last as long as the first one. If Honda knew otherwise, it would have been nice to know that.

- , Newtown Square, PA - Pennsylvania, USA

Jul 232007

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Transmission failed at 111,000 miles in 2007. Honda replaced with rebuilt transmission; the repair expense was covered by warranty. This is the "good news."

Bad news. Failure occurred one week after car was at Honda dealership because we asked them to investigate Check Engine/TCS warning lights. Dealer cleared codes and could not replicate problem; sent us on our way. Transmission failed 1 week later on family trip 300 miles from home. We returned home by train, and of course, I returned a week later to fetch the repaired car. No compensation for first trip to dealer, and subsequent transportation expenses.

Ugly news. This rebuilt transmission failed 40,000 miles later in 2011.

- , Newtown Square, PA - Pennsylvania, USA

Jan 142012

Odyssey V6

This transmission was replace at 62000 miles under warranty and now with 113000 it has failed again. I have heard other reports of this happening with Odysseys so why has Honda not figured it out. I was able to get 208k miles out of Toyota and 140k out of my Mercury. You would think Honda would want to be at least as good.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 262011

Odyssey EX V6

I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey and I have had nothing but problems with the transmission since 2003. Honda was already informed of the potential problem in their company newsletter dated 7/02 and it stated that they were going to inform their customers. I was never notified and if they did they need to produce the letter that was sent out. They had to recall the transmission in 2004 but they conveniently did not include the 2000 models. In 2006 there was a class action lawsuit that included the 2000 Odyssey. I have had to replace the transmission twice and now I am on number three. I do not think that this is fair. I purchased Honda because I expect the quality of the product to last and give me good service and that Honda would stand behind their name. I am out of DOLLARS and I am STILL HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!! Financially I am not in a position to purchase a new car and when I purchased Honda I expect it to last especially when I have EXCELLENT SERVICE RECORD!!!

- , Miramar, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Transmission leaked and had horrible problems in shifting. Then the axle broke off within the transmission. Complete failure of transmission. We are giving up on the van entirely and will donate to charity.

- , Noblesville, IN, USA

Aug 012009

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

My transmission seemed to have lasted far longer than many who have complained here. I had a transmission flush/exchange every 30,000 miles and perhaps that kept it alive- but in the end it completely failed. We noticed a hard shift months before the failure that progressively got worse. When I took it to my friends automotive shop (Aamco) he told me he sees Honda Odyssey's and Accords every week with the same problem and keeps rebuild kits on hand for them. He did the full repair and I bought a four year warranty for his work at a cost of 2850.00. The Van is paid for and has useful features for me so I'm choosing to keep it. Honda historically has extremely dependable cars and I wonder if they're not prepared for this type of result - hence the old Big 3 tactics of blaming the consumer, government regulation, and the like.

- , Garner, NC, USA

Jul 142010

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

At around 75,000 miles, the engine light came on. I asked the Honda service dept about this, and was asked if I had recently filled up the gas tank. Because I did, I was told to wait and see if the light went off. It did, but of course came on before my next service. At this time I had the codes checked, and was told that nothing needed to be done at this time. Of course I trusted them. At 82,000 miles, now the engine light is on as well as the TCS light. Short trips around town were never a problem, until a 7-hr road trip in the summer. When I accelerated, there would be a slight delay as the gear "slipped" and then a slow acceleration, more noticeable on hills. I was afraid to stop not knowing if I would be stranded somewhere.

Took the vehicle straight to my Honda dealer(Fladeboe Honda in Irvine). Now P0740 indicated I needed a new transmission. I am over the warranty extension. Told tranny would be $4500. I then called Honda USA. Honda Rep says it is over the extended warranty time, so there is no way they will give a discount on transmission or labor. I called and talked to Honda service manager at my local Honda dealership in Irvine(Fladeboe Honda). they can't do anything for me and mentioned it is in Honda's hands.He could offer only 10% discount on the labor charge.

Bottom line, Honda should have paid for the whole thing. I started having problems well before the warranty expired, but they knowingly dragged this problem on.

- , Lake Forest, CA, USA

Dec 132010

Odyssey EX 3.5L Vtec

My wife usually drives the Odyssey in small township. All of a sudden at an intersection, the Odyssey would not move, although the engine is raving, the van moved very slowly, crawly.

It was a safety hazard, with children's in the van. Now the transmissions online are pricing between 2,800.00 to 3,200.00 excluding labor.

- , East Windsor, NJ, USA

Sep 182008

The second transmission in my 2000 Honda Odyssey failed with 58k miles on it (119k total vehicle miles). The dealer wanted to charge me $4,000 for another transmission because I was past the 109k class action extended warranty, but I wasn't going to just open up my wallet and pay for their mistakes without putting up a fight. I spent hours on the phone with the dealer and American Honda, and eventually convinced American Honda to give me a good will replacement where they paid 90%. The dealer ended up charging me $1,100 for 3 broken motor mounts (one of which had already been replaced before when the first transmission failed), plus the 10% for the transmission, so they ended up getting their money anyway. I suspect that the whole motor mount thing was just a scam so that they could charge me for something, but I didn't see them or ask for the parts to be returned to me, so I can't prove it.

Since I had already experienced two transmission failures, and was now starting to shell out my own money, I questioned the dealer over and over again about the quality of this next transmission they were about to install. He acknowledged that some of the earlier replacements did still have problems, but assured me that Honda had reworked the design again and that this time they really did fix it right. Wrong! This one failed twice as fast as the first two.

Sep 132004

The original transmission in my 2000 Honda Odyssey failed after 4 years and 62k miles. Honda covered this replacement under the class action warranty extension, and all I had to pay was $133 for a broken motor mount. I thought that should have been covered too, but hey, Honda owned up to a design flaw in their transmissions, corrected the problem, and was now replacing their faulty transmission with a new one for free. I thought I was getting a sweet deal. The clock had just been rolled back on my van to "like new" conditions and it was as if the first 62k miles had just been erased. I now had a 4 year old van with 62k miles on the odometer, but the transmission had 0 miles on it. My expectation of driving this van to 200,000+ miles had just been raised to 250,000+ for free.

Thanks Honda! I thought I was actually going to benefit from their mistake. Little did I know that this was just the beginning of the transmission problems I was about to have. Going on transmission #4 now, and I don't have even the slightest confidence that this van will make it anywhere close to 200k miles. Thanks Honda!

Sep 242010

The third transmission in my 2000 Honda Odyssey failed with 37,920 miles on it (157,573 total vehicle miles). Since I paid for a portion of this transmission, it came with a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. After 28k miles, it was showing signs of failure, so I brought it back to the Keyes Woodland Hills Honda dealer, the same dealer that had performed the previous two replacements, and asked for them to do another replacement. After performing their diagnostics, they said that the transmission was fine and that the shifting problems I was experiencing were due to a faulty 3rd pressure switch and clogged EGR valve. I was very persistent in insisting that the transmission itself was having problems, but they assured me that there was nothing wrong with the transmission and the shifting problems were definitely a result of the 3rd pressure switch and EGR valve. Since I was unable to convince them that the transmission was failing, I was forced to pay them $1,100 ($344 for the 3rd pressure switch and $743 for the EGR pipe kit) for them to give me the van back with the same shifting problems I brought it in for in the first place.

Four months later, when the transmission had 34k miles on it, I knew I had to get the shifting problems addressed before the warranty ran out or I was going to end up with an expensive repair bill on my hands. I had a feeling that the dealer was just going to give me the runaround if I brought it back to them, and would probably find $1,000-2,000 worth of other problems like they usually do, so I decided to take it to an Independent Honda/Accura repair shop. Much to my surprise, though, they too could not find anything wrong with the transmission. I was speechless. Really? My wife and I are not car experts, but we have experienced the symptoms of two Odyssey transmission failures and were sure that we were feeling them again. Now we've got two separate mechanics, who ARE experts, and who deal with transmission problems all the time, telling us that our transmission is fine. Maybe we were being over-paranoid and over-sensitive due to the bad experiences we'd gone through with the previous two transmission failures? Maybe Honda really did fix their design flaw this time? Maybe this transmission really was fine? Well, two months and 3,789 miles later (now 1,920 past the warranty), the transmission suffered a complete failure while my wife was driving 65 mph in the left lane of a busy CA freeway. Smoke started pouring out of the engine and the vehicle lost all power. She was fortunate to been able to coast over to the shoulder without getting into an accident.

So now the van sits at the dealership again in need of another transmission while I go around in circles with Honda. The dealer wants me to pay $5,000 because the transmission is "out of warranty", and says that if I don't like it, I need to take it up with American Honda. American Honda says that they won't do anything for me because the transmission is "out of warranty", and if I don't like it, I need to take it up with the dealer. It doesn't matter that the transmission was failing within the warranty period, and that I reported it twice within the warranty period, and that by completely failing only 1,920 miles later provides proof that it was in fact failing within the warranty period. The only thing that matters to them is that it didn't completely bomb out until after the warranty expired, so it's no longer their problem.

BTW, did I mention that the dealer also found over $2,000 worth of other recommended repairs while they were diagnosing the failed transmission? What a money pit!

Aug 232010

Odyssey EX 3.5L

So this is going to be the 3rd transmission im going through, the van no doubt is amazing with power and all ... ITS JUST THE BLOOODDY TRANSMISSION!! i was supposed to chill with this chick tonight and guess what>? its not happening... So on my way to work at 645 am august 22nd... i start it.. let it run for a while and btw.. the check engine light came on the day b4 but had no problem with me.. with my mom it shut down as she says once... but then after starting it again .. .didnt reoccur.

anyways. this morning i was driving to work and the thing was sorta slipping through tthe gears... n i thought its gunna go away... on the way back from work... the closer i got to home.. the worse it got.. at one point the car didnt even accelerate at all.. i press the gas while its in D4 and it just revs up! then slowly i can hear and feel it tryna grip the gear and it kinda did giving me sum kinda acceleration temporarily. i got to a 4 way stop sign near home and then when coming to a complete stop didnt move at all and this time.. the (D4) light was flashing and the TCS light came on.!!!!!!! i dont get it.. how is it that 3 transmissions later they didnt fix it.. ? or find some solution>???

im taking it to B&N transmissions tomrow. for them to check it out cuz they replaced it last time after the warrenty was long up and i had to pay for it outta my pocket to get a rebuilt one. n all they did was replace the broken or worn parts. thanks for reading this wack but true story that happend today.! F*** CHEERS PPLE!

- , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jun 252010

Odyssey 3.5L

I'll keep it short and to the point. I bought a an Odyssey, year 2000 3.5 liter at 114K. From a auto mechanic who got it in an auction. This vehicle doesn't leak transmission fluid while sattionary, but it does leak when it drivien. I came to find out from the Honda Dealer that the differential that they build and sold to us americans has worn out. This ware is causing the axle to wobble a little bit. Which is enough to spill transmission fluid on the street of america daily at the rate of about a pint a day. I can't afford fix the problem with a new tranny from Honda immediately. So for now I'll just have to keep spilling fluid.onto the freeway, sorry, NHTSA, I hope this isn't a safety issue either. By the way I have the know how to bolt another transmission onto the engine. The question is the United States ever force honda to build a transmission that is not F'd up. Can anyone answer this question? Is there a replacement transmission?????

- , Portland, OR, USA

Jul 082010

Odyssey LX V6

Do not have your transmission fluid flushed which is what dealership will automatically due to it at your check-ups! This causes metal to flush down to the filter. Better to drain and fill your transmission fluid. However, the filter can not be replaced. Honda should have used the old wire filters and not the new cheap ones. I think they did this on purpose so that after the warranty expires you need a new transmission. So, you end up with having to rebuild or replace the entire transmission.

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Jan 022010

This is the first and last Honda i will ever purchase! This is the 4th problem my family has had with this transmission since we purchased the car in late 2005 or early 2006. The worst investment of my life! The first transmission replacement Honda changed it out under the recall with very little hassle, but we should not have gotten any hassle! Honda you need to stand behind your faulty workmanship, and stop replacing the faulty transmissions with the same faulty transmission. The entire concept of a recall is to say "Honda Family" we fixed the problem .. there was a faulty washer or gear etc etc, sorry for the trouble, but your new replacement transmission should last you the life of the vehicle, or 200,000 miles or 150,000 miles, which ever comes first .................. They gave us a 36,000 mile warranty and we were back in to get it replaced well under the 36,000 miles, AND THE SAD PART IS THEY MADE US PAY 250 BUCKS BEFORE THEY WOULD HONOR THE WARRANTY??????????????? How is that for customer service! .... Well approximately 15 thousand miles later the transmission started slipping and behaving weird .... we took it back to Honda .. and just like going to the Doctors, the transmission was acting fine on the day we took it in ... but they did not want to believe the problem was intermittent. So fast forward to January 2nd, at 2am in the morning .. one day after New Years ... My wife and 4 youngest children were stranded on the side of the highway ... My wife called me and told me she thought the engine had caught fire ... she thought the timing belt had went bad and destroyed the engine .... she was pissed off at me for not getting the timing belt replaced .... i thought there was no oil in the engine or no water .... well to conclude .. she paid a taxi 50 bucks to bring her and the children home ... thats when i arrived breaking the speed limit from San Francisco, we had the van towed to the auto shop to discover ... the coolant was filled to the top ... the oil was only 1/2 quart low .. the timing belt was intact .. but you guessed the DAMNED TRANSMISSION BLEW UP ... and had my wife and kids breathing that toxic horrific smell .... at 2 am on the side of the highway ... sad part is ... this time the car is passed the 36 thousand mile warranty and it may not be much we can do .. so i hope there is some type of class action suit we can jump on to get this transmission replaced at no cost ... to an updated version ... just so we can get our money's worth! ... Honda and Toyota ... never ever ever ever ever ........

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Nov 192009

Odyssey LX V6

This 2000 Odyssey has already had the transmission replaced 3 times. We bought it at 63,000 and the previous owner replaced it. We replaced it at 85,000 and now at 130,000 miles, I can't even drive it anymore. I can't believe it! I certainly did not expect this from a Honda!

- , Hesperia, CA, USA

Oct 122009

Odyssey EX 3.5L

I will never purchase another Honda Odyssey again. When I purchased the van from a Toyota dealer in Indiana they informed me that there were no recalls on the van. I asked them before purchasing it. It had less than 100k and this was in 2007. Now I have over 160K and when I called the Honda customer service they informed me that there was a recall for my van but now it is too late because of the mileage. I told the lady that I was speaking with that I was going to switch to Toyota and she laughed at me. This only made matters worse. Honda does not have to worry about me purchasing another van and neither does that Toyota place in Indiana. I am highly irate right now. I can not believe that honda customer service just laughed at me. I want to inform everyone not to purchase a Honda Odyssey of any year for they all suck. I am going to spread the news about Honda Odyssey everywhere I go. Every place that I can post this information about honda I will. I am on a mission to see them fail.

- , Gobles, MI, USA

Jan 022007

Honda has a known issue with these transmissions - Honda replaced the transmission under warranty, but the replacement transmission was a piece of garbage and failed after just 40k miles - I'm entering a second complaint for the second failed transmission

- , Berkeley, CA, USA

Sep 022009

Honda doesn't stand behind their products! I had my Odyssey transmission replaced under warranty at 102k miles and I thought, what a great company - they really stand behind they're products, and now I won't have to worry about the transmission anymore (the transmissions in the 1999-2002 Odysseys are known to be faulty). Wrong! The replacement transmission failed after just 40k miles. I called Honda America this morning since I wasn't getting anywhere with my dealer, and they told that the warranty for the defective transmissions only covers cars with mileage up to 109k - after that you're on you're own. But they are the ones who installed the new transmission, and it failed after just 40k miles. Clearly they just stuck a piece of junk in there that worked just long enough to get them out of their warranty obligations. I've owned Hondas all my life, but I will never buy another Honda again after this experience.

Edward Newbegin