CarComplaints.com Notes: The entire 2nd generation Odyssey (1999-2004) is just one giant transmission problem waiting to happen.

2002 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

2002 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Sep 252011

Odyssey 6-cyl

While traveling an interstate highway at 65 mph the vehicle suddenly had an RPM jump from 2000 to 6000 then down shifted to first gear with a violent "slam" causing a rapid deceleration. The tour bus that was behind me was forced to make an evasive maneuver to avoid hitting me and I shifted into neutral and was able to coast to the side of the road. This was a near tragedy that was unexpected. My research has revealed thousands of similar complaints on this model vehicle that the Honda corporation is not accepting responsibility for. The approx. $4000 repair is much less expensive than a serious injury or potential loss of life, however, I believe that Honda should be held accountable for this serious safety concern as it's obviously a defective design that could cause sudden stoppage (as in my case) possibly resulting in an accident.

- Chemung, NY, USA

Sep 012011

Odyssey

Transmission failure between 2nd and 3rd gears. Slipping while acceleration.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jun 132011

Transmission slippage/failure

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jan 072011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda Odyssey 2002 transmission and fuel pump problem.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Dec 102010

Odyssey

Transmssion would not go into gear while trying to climb an incline on a road that had no shoulder and dangerous curves.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Oct 102010

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 72000 miles on it. The check engine light came on and the computer error readout came to P0740. I changed the transmission fluid and after a week the light came on. 72000 miles is not much to have transmission issues. I called american Honda and gave them the diagnostic code and they tell me that I have to take to Honda dealership and get it checked by their computer. I spent $120 for it and they also gave me the same reading P0740. "the code shows internal failure of the torque converter inside the transmission", I contacted american Honda and they tell me that its out of warranty and therefore they would not do anything. The local Honda service station tells me that it would cost $4000 to replace the transmission. It is ridiculous that after buying a car and at 72000 miles the transmission fails? Honda is turning a blind eye towards it. After researching this issue, I find that there are many owners with the same kind of issues with their Honda. We need to get this out to Honda and get them fix the issue with their cars.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Nov 282010

Odyssey

The transmission slipped when driving causing the engine to rev up, but not resulting in movement of vehicle. Then the transmission engaged. Happened several times when driving back from the airport. Engine and tcs lights came on. Replaced the 4rd gear clutch plate at Honda dealer, but problem has not gone away. Since then have replaced engine mount bushings, but problem still persists. Researched on internet that many Odyssey owners have experienced similar problems with their transnissions. I called american Honda Motors with a description of the problems experienced, but they refused to take care of it. Neither has the dealer, community Honda of orland park been helpful in this regard. Have spent a lot money and time at dealer, but problem has not gone away. This is a safety issue caused by a faulty design by Honda, in my opinion.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Nov 112010

Odyssey

While traveling in a 40/45 mph street, the Odyssey's transmission suddenly locked up and my speed suddenly dropped to 20 mph from 45 mph. The cars behind me almost crashed my rear end due to the sudden transmission failure. The transmission shouldn't fail at 73,341 miles. Honda had a safety recall in '04 (NHTSA# 04V176000) where I had the jet kit installed in '04. I found out that there were at least 400 people in the internet Honda group forum who had a similar transmission problem on the Odyssey and most of them replaced their transmission after 90,000 miles. Many of them had a near fatal accident due to the 2nd gear lockup at high speeds. The jet kit failed to fix the transmission issue. In almost all cases, Honda usa refuses to fix the transmission for free. A Honda dealer was charging $5600 for the repair, but I was able to get a discount of $1800. There should be a class action suit against Honda since more than 1 million customers were affected by this transmission safety problem on the Odyssey and Honda Pilot. Honda should replace the transmission for free! I can't imagine that my transmission failed at 73,241 since I have very low miles. I primarily use the Odyssey to drive around the town and I don't use the vehicle for towing.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Aug 212010

Odyssey

On my 2002 Honda Odyssey my transmission has gone out 3 times and I have replaced it all the times. So I just wanted to know what I can do about this?

- Bremen , GA, USA

Sep 182009

Odyssey

Honda 2002 Odyssey: Transmission fail to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Running at neural when occurred. Need to stop the car, begin from the first. It happened frequently and is a safety concern because if happened when there is an incoming car at the intersection, accidents or injuries could occur. Brought to garage and was told must replace the transmission. Need immediate intervention. Please contact Honda America about this issue. Thanks

- Atlan, GA, USA

Mar 162009

My 2002 Honda Odyssey needs a new transmission -

- Clifton, CO, USA

Jan 072009

Odyssey

The transmission of our 2002 Honda Odyssey started slipping when shifting from 2nd into 3rd gear around 40,000-50,000 miles. The failure occurred about once a moth. The Honda dealership had installed an A/T oil jet kit around that time because of a safety recall, but the transmission slipping was unaffected by that remedy. The frequency and severity of slipping has increased and is currently at 3-4 times per week. At 96,500 miles the check engine light has come and the Honda dealer told us that the transmission and transmission control unit have failed and need to be replaced. Since the slipping has been occurring more frequently, safety has become a major concern to us. The vehicle cannot be trusted to accelerate out of dangerous traffic situations (I.e., merging into highway traffic, passing, driving in hilly areas), since one cannot predict when the vehicle loses power/slips out of gear. It has taken 3 minutes once to shift from 2nd into 3rd. We have been lucky so far that nothing more seriously has happened, but based on our experiences and reading about the experiences of others, it is only a matter of time until this transmission design issue will lead to serious accidents (hopefully not fatal). Honda has offered to replace the transmission and control unit at a reduced rate, but since this issue should be covered by an extended warranty (as was the case for the 99-01 Odyssey models) or a recall, any repair cost that the customer has to bear is adding insult to injury. I hope, the NHTSA will look into this issue thoroughly and advocate on behalf of the consumer. Please don't wait until someone gets seriously injured.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Dec 202007

Odyssey

At 65,000 miles vehicle starting hesitating on accelerating between 2nd and 3rd gears. 75,000 check engine light came on, turns out issues are related to the transmission. Internet search reveals numerous issues with this particular Odyssey engine. Owner believes Honda should be responsible for all costs associated with engine problems due to number of issues. Potential safety issue, as failure to shift causes vehicle to lose power, and only able to re-engage if slowed to 1st or 2nd gear.

- Fruit Cove, FL, USA

Jul 262005

Odyssey

Transmission went on the way home from vacation at 44,000. Broke down on NY thruway - very dangerous and very inconvenient. $2900 to replace transmission. Transmission went on the way to vacation at 87,000. Broke down on exit 2 of NJ turnpike. Very dangerous and very inconvenient. Had to leave car and rent one to continue on our vacation. Will get fixed this weekend - $3300. Honda Odyssey are notorious for this, and depending on where you break down, this can be very dangerous. We have 2 kids under 10, and this has happened twice with them in the car on highways with cars running at an average of 75 mph. Honda is really taking chances with peoples' lives turning out faulty product. It's a crime.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jul 102008

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. While the contact's spouse was driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into third gear. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and it was discovered that the third gear was cracked. The clutch assembly was replaced. There is no recall regarding this issue. The current mileage was 75,000 and failure mileage was 74,000.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Apr 132007

Odyssey

2002 Honda Odyssey with transmission problems customer states the transmission was rebuilt in 4/07 and how he is having problems again and was told by a mechanic that it was a result of a design flaw* the consumer stated that he wants Honda to take ownership of the defect and they should in fact have an extended warranty to cover the transmission.

- Houston, TX, USA