7.7

$2,814.00

1. bad primer from honda. must repaint all over (18 reports)
  3. will have to repaint affected areas (8 reports)
  4. repaint (7 reports)
  5. factory "extended warranty" (2 reports)
2003 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 012008

Odyssey

I spoke with the repair place, and they said that they have seen may white Honda Odysseys come in with the same problem. It started flaking a little, but last year huge parts of the paint are flaking all over the car. At first, I touched up one small place, but it immediately flaked off. My husband has had a different car the same amount of time, and his paint job still looks new.

- , Peoria, AZ, USA

Feb 012013

Odyssey LX

There was a warranty extension a few years ago but my car wasn't peeling then. Now it is and it is getting progressively worse. I've read many complaints from Midnight Blue Honda Odyssey owners who are complaining of this same thing so I know it is a HONDA problem.

I believe that Honda should stand by its products and fix these cars. It is a great thing that the car is reliable for so many years, but there is no reason people should have to drive a car that looks like junk. It really doesn't speak very well about Honda. Because this is such a wide-spread problem, Honda needs to step up and take care of it. It will definitely affect my decision about car buying in the future. I also had a Nissan and, when there was a problem, they dealt with it and made it right. I expect the same here.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Apr 042011

Odyssey V6

According to a Honda Service Bulletin dated May 21, 2008, our 2003 Dark Blue Honda Odyssey’s VIN was covered in a warranty extension for paint peeling. However, when we contacted Honda regarding this service bulletin, we were informed that our vehicle was not covered although our VIN begins with the 5FN as a requirement stated in the bulletin. We never received notification of this service bulletin.

Our Honda Odyssey exhibits paint peeling under the top edge of the sliding doors, hood, top half of the quarter panel, the top half of the fender and where the roof and hatch meet. It is very disappointing that the Honda Company is not following through with ensuring that its mission statement “dedicated to supplying products of the highest quality and customer satisfaction” is carried through.

We feel that the Honda Company should make a good faith effort to resolve this peeling paint issue.

It is very disappointing to learn that we have been loyal Honda customers and now we have been told that this repair will not be covered by your company.

- , Loganville, GA, USA

Jun 012005

Odyssey

Honda has always been a quality car....New Or Used. This vehicle has been a awful experience. I am ashamed to drive it, but I need my transportation Honda should step up to the plate and fix it. I called a Honda rep and was advised the warranty had been extended. I , however, was not notified and now I am stuck with a nasty looking car. I missed the date by 5 months. I will never buy another Honda and my advice is to everyone is buy a car from a company that will admit to a problem and locate the owners.

- , Bixby, OK, USA

Mar 022011

Odyssey ES 3.2L V6

When we purchased the vehicle, there was a small place on top of the roof near the window. As time went on, it got worse and worse. Everytime we washed it, big flakes came off. It looks soo bad, that its laughed at! We dont have the money to get it repainted and now its flaking off at the sliding doors.

HONDA needs to own up to their mistake and correct it. THIS WILL BE THE LAST HONDA I EVER BUY...... Its obvious that the primer didnt hold up or something like that. I have worked for a truck manufactor for 19 years, and we always make sure our customers are happy with their vehicles. HONDA seems to not care. I have read too many complaints on this problem, and Honda needs to step up and correct it! Sincerly, ONE PISSED OFF OWNER

- , Troutman, NC, USA

Aug 052008

Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

Paint peeling on sliding door area of van. We always garage kept this van. It is peeling at the top most portion of the door.

- , East Berlin, PA, USA

Feb 192011

Odyssey EX V6

click to see larger images

paint is peeling/chipping all over the body paint is peeling/chipping all over the body

I just bought this 03 Odyssey and it has some paint peeling on the hood and on the sides above the sliding doors. I got a good deal on the van and figured if it was a Honda defect they would fix it. My research on the subject is not encouraging however and it seems that even when people do get the problem "fixed" it happens again later. This seems to be a well know problem with Honda's of this year and color so you would think they would fix it without any problems. I certainly hope they take responsibility for this. I understand there was an extension on the warranty for the paint but it has since expired. Since I just acquired the vehicle it seems unfair that I should not be able to fix the problem.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Jan 012010

Odyssey EXL 3.2L

Midnight Blue paint peeling. Brought car into Bellevue Honda dealership in January 2010. They did not tell me about the extended warranty. I had left the car with them all day for various. expensive repairs. Today I brought in the Honda odyssey to the dealership for an oil change. They said I missed the extended warranty coverage and that they were not suppose to inform consumers about extended warranties unless the consumer brings it up

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jul 142010

Odyssey LX

We did receive the recall notice on the paint color - Midnight Blue Pearl. I just noticed the paint was chipping around the rear window, but we missed the warranty by 30 days. The warranty was extended to 7 years. We took the vehicle to the dealership, but they could not make any guarantees. They did take pictures and are sending it to Honda. I don't expect any resolution. From following the trail of emails that others have submitted, it doesn't appear to be hopeful.

- , Columbia Heights, MN, USA

Jan 012009

Odyssey XE 3.5L

I feel cheated paid good money for this car and the paint sucks!will never buy a Honda again

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Dec 202009

Odyssey

Seems like a lot of folks on here are upset because they can't get their paint issue taken care of. I stumbled accross this "extended warranty" while doing research before buying our 2003 Odyssey (Midnight Blue Pearl).

Talked to our dealer in Marysville, Oh and they said the "extended warranty" is fully transferable because it stays with the car. I have'nt picked up the vehicle yet, because we are still in the process of buying it, but I did call the dealer to have them look at the "trouble spots" while they are preping it for us. I will post back once I find out what they say and inspect the "trouble spots" for myself. I hope the link I posted will give you all some direction. Good luck.

PS. We have alot of Hondas in the family. Great vehicles.

- , Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Apr 042009

Odyssey

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey that is white. The paint is peeling and chipping around the windows and doors and around the edges of the roof. I have only had this vehicle one year, we bought it used. We still paid quite a bit for it b/c the reputation of the Honda keeps the prices up. I fell for that reputation as well as some others that I have read about. Now, the paint is peeling for no reason and it is obvious that Honda is not going to help fix this problem b/c it is out of warranty.

- , Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Oct 302009

Odyssey EX-L V6

I'm very annoyed. This is my first and LAST Honda. My 1997 Mercury Mystique looks a heck of a lot better and has had no issues. On my Odyssey, besides the paint peeling, the door locks no longer respond to the remote, and I'm told that I need new motor mounts. Mind you, all of this started after my extended warranty expired. Ticks me off that I faithfully brought in my car to the dealer for service and they "discover" the problems after the expiration.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA

Jun 012008

Odyssey EX

In June took the car in for routine service. When I picked it up I noticed the paint peeling and bubbling around right rear vent window. It was probably bubbling before that but the car wash agitated the paint bubbles enough to peel it off. While I was there one of the service advisers showed me an internal Honda communication with paint peeling off the same places on the same model, same year, but a darker blue color. He thought that I would be covered because the dark blue repair was covered by Honda.

It took 5 months of calling and leaving messages and being told that "someone would call me" and attempting to coordinate a meeting with the area service manager. Today we finally were able to see the area service manager in person (only after they didn't show up for a set appointment and had to wait for her to show up.) So, the result is that they are offering a 'goodwill' to pay for 50% of the cost of the repair on a one-time basis and the repairs must be completed within 30 days. This is unacceptable business practice when the paint on many of the 2003 model Honda Odysseys are peeling. I will never purchase another Honda. And chances are, I will never be able to sell this one for that famous Honda resale value because they won't take care of the known paint error. Unbelievable. We did a lot of research before purchasing this car. Part of the reason we selected Honda was due to the good name of the company. Never again...

- , Valencia, CA, USA

Jun 102008

Odyssey

We've now had different sections of our 2003 blue Odyssey painted on three different occasions. Paint has been peeling off for close to three years now. Each time, however, our local Honda dealer and regional rep have been tremendous. We have not paid one cent toward repairs and have been provided either a loaner car or rental each time at no charge. Having to have the van repainted to this extent has diminished our respect for this particular year, model, and paint color. However, the proper treatment we have received from Honda will certainly keep us as loyal Honda customers. We also have a 1996 Honda Accord with 179,000 miles on it - 12 years old and still running like new with minimal repair costs through the years. We just got a bad batch of paint, and Honda knows this and has come to bat for us on this one. Thanks, Honda!

- , Bellefonte, PA, USA

Jun 122006

Odyssey

I am astounded that the service manager here in Lafayette, LA says Honda has not had any paint problems when there are so many listed at this site, including one complaining about the treatment they received here. You can see other complaints at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f146f79

including this:

Replying to: jmidgette (Apr 30, 2008 4:38 am) ATTENTION ALL I also had a problem with the paint peeling off the hood and roof of my Odyssey. When I took it to the dealership about 4 months ago, they said it was not under warranty and they would not cover it. YESTERDAY, I received a notice from Honda in the mail stating that this is a known problem for the Midnight Blue Odyssey's, and that if I take it to the dealership, they will fix the issue. They extended the paint warranty to 7 years, 70,000 miles due to this issue. If you are having this problem, take it back to your dealership. If you already paid to have the problem fixed, contact your dealership to find out how to get Honda to reimburse you. (not sure how much they will reimburse, but anything is better than nothing.)

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Jul 032007

Odyssey EX V6

I noticed that the paint was pealing off of the rear window rims, top of the rear door, and on the hood. When I took my car to the dealer for a broken window, I asked about the paint pealing problems. I was told to come back when it was convenient and they'd have their "specialist" look at it. When I came back, I was told that a district manager had to look at it, and that they would call me when he was going to be in town. By the time he was able to meet me at the local dealer to see my van, I had driven over 50K miles. (by 80 miles) They proceeded to tell me that the paint was no longer covered, but to help me out, they'd cover 25% of the cost. Not including the hood, the estimate was almost $1,800! I don't know what to do, as I feel that they did this purposely. I used to brag about my van with its leather interior, but now I am thoroughly embarrassed to be driving around in a vehicle whose paint is pealing faster with each passing day. I never thought that Honda would do something so cheap. I am new to Lafayette, but I don't think I'll ever return to this Honda dealer! I really miss the service I got in Florida! The difference between the two are unbelievable and too numerous to mention, but they never once tried to pass off a problem to avoid my warranty!

- , Lafayette, IN, USA

Feb 222008

Odyssey

Midnight Blue. The paint has been flaking off for months. We didn't bother to inquire about it until a Christmas road trip left the hood looking like a palomino pony. We took it to the dealership to get an estimate on having the hood repainted (we expected to pay out of pocket at this point) and we were referred to the dealership's body shop for an estimate. Once there, two guys came out to look at it to write up an estimate. As an aside, I showed them the flaking paint in several areas of the van. I was told to go back to the service department since it looked like a faulty paint job. I took it back and spoke with the service dept manager. He said he would need to talk to Honda about it. A few days later he asked if we could leave the van for a Honda inspector to check it out. We did. We got a call later that day saying that Honda has a known problem with that particular paint color and they will repaint the van FREE but we will be charged for any repair to the hood (normal dings from interstate driving). We feel this is totally fair. Our paperwork shows that it will be about 3 or 4 weeks before the necessary paperwork is ready to complete the work. I urge anyone with this color & model year and having paint problems to find out about the extended warranty we were told this would be covered under.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 302008

Odyssey V6

We own a '03 Honda Odyssey, love the vehicle. Took it in for maintenance and wash & wax to the dealership we purchased it from. When we picked it up my husband noticed a 1/2 dollar size paint missing down to the primer. We first thought the detail worker accidentally put acid on our van. We were told that the paint job is defective as they knew exactly where to look for more peeling paint. The service manager told us they have been having problems with the midnight blue color. Our car is no longer under warranty, we are taking it back again next week to speak to the regional Honda manager to show him our dilemma and to see if he will stand by their product.

I am especially upset about this. This was not an inexpensive vehicle and we didn't receive much off the list price. I needed a dependable safe car to drive my two children in. We are not in a position to pay for a new paint job. We purchased this vehicle expecting it to last many years and not to appear to look like a 30 yr old car. The ironic part of my story is that while we were waiting for our van to get finished we were test driving a few Honda Civics to consider buying for our daughter who just received her license and needs a dependable safe car. Well, if Honda is the company I have thought they were and stand by their products then we will still consider another Honda. If they don't we will never purchase from them again and will take further action. Very disappointed in the other complaints I have read about the same problem. This is not right.

- , St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Jan 272008

Odyssey EX

My midnight blue Odyssey paint is also peeling on the hood, around the right rear window and right rear sliding door. No more Hondas for me.

- , Artemas, PA, USA