2006 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Odyssey:

2006 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 162013

Odyssey

Rear engine mount is broken. There are many other such complaints on this vehicle. A long list of complaints is noted on cartalk.com website including a previous complaint, (10425453.) Honda should offer a recourse for all of these individuals.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to the dealer for 90K mile maintenance and was told that the rear engine mount was broken, which was the reason the vehicle felt unstable. They said all other mounts were wearing severely and would have to be replaced as well. I have never had this problem with any other vehicle I have owned - regardless of mileage. After online research I realize this is an extremely common occurrence with Honda Odyssey. This is a serious safety issue!!! Honda is aware of it but does nothing.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Sep 062013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving at 50 mph on a Friday night. My van suddenly gave a loud explosive sound and the cabin filled up with smoke and I could not breathe or see properly. I wondered what was going on and quickly pulled up on the side of the road. It took me some time to get out of the van since I am disabled. My husband had to literally speaking, carry me out and sat me on the side of the road. Passers by had already called 911 when they noticed what was going on. The police, ambulance and fire dept came. The fire dept determined that my van was smoking heavily and they took care of the fire in my engine when they opened the hood. The van was towed to the dealership and they informed me that my transmission was defective. The only problem was that this will then be the third transmission in a van that is less than 8 years old. I had a similar problem in July 2011 at 80,000 miles and the transmission was replaced then with promises from Honda that I was good for another 5 years. So when this problem occurred exactly 2 years to the time that the second transmission was replaced, I reported the problem to Honda and they want me to pay for a third transmission. This is despite the fact that I always serviced my van with the dealership. It has never been serviced with the local repair shop. I am still making car payments on my van and they want me to pay for a new transmission? I will appreciate an investigation on why Honda is allowed to sell lemons to consumers even though they are aware of transmission problems on the Odyssey vans. Smoke and fire due to recurring transmission problems on the same van is a safety issue. I pray that no one will be killed or injured due to recurring transmission problems with Honda Odyssey vans. Thanks in advance for your assistance in protecting and ensuring consumer safety as we drive our cars.

- Cinnaminson, NJ, USA

Jun 132013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 06 Honda Odyssey which I bought with alittle over 35000 miles. I just took van in for service and got the bad news it needs motor mounts! had to laugh to myself thinking the dealer was full of it. No way could a vehicle with low miles possibly need motor mounts! so did some online research and found there are a tons of people having the same issue. There obviously is a bad design if so many people are having this issue. Of course when you call Honda they deny that the problem even exist! someone needs to hold the company accountable! there is a great deal of danger for our family's sake! the sad truth is it will take several families before Honda acknowledges it was a bad design!

- Columbia City, IN, USA

Apr 072013

Odyssey

My problem is with my 2006 Honda Odyssey. We took the car in for an oil change and was informed that the oil pan threads were striped. We were informed this was a common problem with Honda and Acura. From my research this has been a problem since 1984. The problem with Honda's steel oil pans is the drain plug threads are frequently damaged and the drain plug sealing area tends to distort. Honda uses an aluminum sealing washer to seal the drain plug against the pan. From my research I discovered the problem is the flimsy threads and thin sheet metal can not take this amount of torque and will fail after repeated oil changes. The mechanic suggested a helicoil as a possible permanent solution to the problem. If that does not work than ultimately I have to change the whole oil pan with oe equipment. The only problem with that is Honda has not corrected the flaw, so in a few years I will be in the same position of having stripped oil pan threads. No one wants to drive down the road and lose oil pressure because the treads of the oil pan has stripped over time. And consumers do not want to spend several hundred dollars every few years replacing an oil pan because of Honda flawed design.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Mar 182013

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was told to allow the computer to reset independently. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed normal operation. The contact later took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection and was advised that the spool valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired because the part needed to complete the repair was on backorder. The failure continuously recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 72,000.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Feb 272013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My car's starter broke and the mechanic then told me that the engine mounts in the front and rear were broken and needed replacing. In doing an online search, I discovered that this is a common and nagging problem with Odyssey owners. I have owned 6 cars and never heard of such a thing! thankfully the problem is being fixed before it caused an accident. Is there a recall or planned recall for this problem? my extended warranty expired 2,000 miles ago. Thank you

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Jan 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My Odyssey lost power/wouldn't accelerate/wouldn't shift as we approached the top of a 7% grade. We pulled over, shut the car off and checked fluids etc.. everything was fine. We tried to get going again and the van wouldn't go. We sat for about an hour and tried again, and the van got going again perfectly fine. We were able to get to Honda when it broke down again. Honda diagnosed it with a bad transmission/torque converter. The atf fluid was burnt (my Odyssey has the atf fluid cooler too). The tech said the vcm (eco mode, variable cylinder management) increases the load/stress on the vehicle and is a contributing factor of the break down. My Odyssey has been meticulously maintained at Honda Y Honda specs/recommendations. I had no previous indication my trans was going out (no gear slipping anything. It drove fine up until it broke down) I called american Honda for assistance in the repair, and they failed to even offer any sort of help. From what I've googled, Honda Odyssey have common trans/torque converter issues and american Honda is well aware of the problems on the Odyssey. After this, I will not buy another Honda.

- Pismo Beach, CA, USA

Sep 032012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Loud noise from engine compartment during a turn. Repair shop said the passenger side engine mount has nearly failed and the others will need to be replaced soon. It makes no sense for such a part to fail at 65K miles - this issue should be grounds for a recall.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 172012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Have had intermittent vibration coming from engine compartment. Primarily occurs at any speed when the vcm or eco mode activates. Not sure what other issues this may cause but seems unsafe. Honda dealer diagnosed issue as a broken rear engine mount. Cost to repair is $866.

- Marion, IN, USA

Aug 282011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Travelling on vaction on freeway at 100km ( 60 mph ) when my transmission went on my Honda Odyssey. Smoke from under hood, engine started to rev up and tacometer reved up bascially enough function to pull over to the side of freeway. We had towed to Honda where I was informed that my vehicle that I havent even owned for 5yrs at the time and only 120000km (75000miles) that the transmission was gone and would cost me $5000 to repair. We had our van towed back to our local dealer (2hrs away and across us boarder back to Canada) where they charged us $3700 do to us keeping up with all services. After all cost to have returned home and our family of six returned home I paid $4500 out of my pocket on a vehicle im still making $600 a month payments on. Unaccceptable.

- Abbotsford, Bc Canada V2t5g5, WA, USA

Sep 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am writing with regards to my 2006 Honda Odyssey. Took it to the dealer for a recall related issue with my brakes and while fixing it, they noticed that the vehicle had issues with rear engine mount. Dealer told me my rear engine mount is broken and that's why my vehicle vibrates and that will eventually lead to failure with power steering, A/C, engine, transmission...etc. Since the vehicle can come to a halt in the middle of driving if left unattended, I think this is a serious safety concern with any Honda minivan's and wanted to bring this to your attention. I started reading about this on the internet and looks like lots of people have the same issue with their engine mounts (both front & rear) with Odyssey's especially from 2005 - 2009. I would imagine Honda is well aware of this issue and they did nothing to fix the problem in the first place. Filed a formal complaint with Honda and it went nowhere and I was told since my vehicle is out of warranty (5 years or 60000 miles which ever comes first) there is nothing they can do to help me with it. I paid 711$ to fix the issue, which should have never been the case had Honda taken some responsibility to fix it in the first place. Whats really annoying is a broken engine part with just 48000 miles on it? I just hope this does not lead to any loss of life. Please consider this as a top priority issue and do the needful to address it. Thank you!

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 102011

Odyssey

We have been told that there are 3 cracked engine mounts on the car. We have been told that this is typical on the Honda Odyssey. We were also told by the dealer that the cost to replace is about $1,000 each. The car is only 6 years old and driven by a soccer mom.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 172012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Front motor mount is torn and recommend replacing for $951.28 + tax; side motor mount is leaking and recommend replacing for $238.88 + tax. This van is used mainly for driving my kids to school and activities. No heavy towing nor hard driving. I was told that it's a common problem with Honda Odyssey, but at this time Honda corporation has not addressed it. My van really makes noise and rattles when accelerating and I'm concerned that it is a safety issue if the engine is not secured properly.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Rear motor mounts went bad and causes vibrations when driving between 30-45mph.

- Sharon, MA, USA

Oct 302011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Motor mount went bad and causing vibrations when low driving speeds in eco. The vibrations started when I had about 60K miles and the van was 5 years old. It affects acceleration because I have to decelerate to stop the vibrations.

- Lafitte, LA, USA

May 252012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am the original owner of this 2006 Honda Odyssey. The rear and side engine mounts have failed, at 72,000 miles. This is a manufacturer's defect. The engine mounts should not fail at this mileage. I had noticed a rumbling noise at lower speeds when the engine was running in eco mode, and it appears that this noise was a result of the failure of the engine mounts. It is a defect that if not repaired would result in the engine falling out of the vehicle, clearly a defect. Honda needs to take action to replace the faulty engine mounts and correct this defect in design in future models.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 012012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while the vehicle was inspected by a local mechanic who advised that the engine motor mounts were cracked and two were broken due to defective material. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 84,000.

- Midlothian , VA, USA