Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Aside from peeling paint, the 2008 Honda Odyssey is a pretty reliable, generally trouble-free minivan.

2008 Honda Odyssey brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Odyssey:

2008 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 202016

I have read that a lot of 2008 Honda Odyssey have a brake pedal that goes to the floor and my brake pedal does the same. I had to drive very slow so the car will stop, pedal goes to floor before slowly stopping. Honda dealer replaced the master cylinder $600 drove home, went back next day because it was not the right fix. Dealer had it all day, said he talked to Honda tech dept. On phone checked computers and other things as per tech advice, every thing is working as it should, no cost to me but brake pedal still goes to the floor. My wife can not drive this car, it is parked till you can tell me how it can be fixed and safe for us to drive and every one on the road. I could not live with myself if my family were hurt or if this 2008 Honda Odyssey could not stop and hurt or killed other people. Please make Honda fix these brakes.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 162016

Soft brake pedal have to drive extra cautious pedal goes way down before brakes start to grab, was taken in for vsa recall but brakes still dont feel right, most likely will never buy another Honda due to this experience. Planning on contacting Honda to see if they have a fix yet for this big safety issue car only has 60K.

- Calimesa, CA, USA

Jul 182016

I recently bought vehicle have not made first payment. Salesman told me soft brakes are common on Honda. Brakes have failed three times at very slow speeds. Have service report for this vehicle... brakes have been replaced often. This vehicle is not safe. There's air in the brake lines.

- Rockport, TX, USA

May 102016

Even after repair break few tiimes and when apply break is not stop as required many time give us dam hard time to stop immideatly, and stearing is getting hard and jam even under warrnty replaced

- Mira Loma, CA, USA

Apr 042016

My 2008 Honda Odyssey was involved in a crash today because when I applied the brakes it did not want to stop. My pedal was to the floor but my van did not stop. I was only going about 25 mph but had no stopping power. I have experienced this on a few other occasion but my vehicle was not included in the past recall.

- Arcadia, FL, USA

Jan 062016

Persistent problems with the brake system since the 2010 vsa/ABS modulator recall. They system continues to have a soft pedal which requires pumpung the pedal to get effective braking, resulting in extended stop distances. The system requires periodic bleeding of the brakes despite repeated assurances from Honda dealers that the system is/was fixed correctly under the recall. The vsa modulator has now failed and Honda is quoting over $1,600 to repair the system despite ongoing service documentation illustrating the system apparently was not fixed under the recall - at least not effectively.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle stability assist light illuminated while driving at an unknown speed. As a result, the brake system engaged on its own. The dealer repaired the vehicle according to NHTSA campaign number: 10V098000 (service brakes, air), but the failure continued. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Temple, PA, USA

Sep 202015

Was driving about 55 miles per hour and my car started barking without me pressing the brakes. I pulled over and started again. It happened three times within a ten minute period. Apparently there was a recall on the vsa but Honda failed to notify me. I was almost hit the first time it happened.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Jan 012015

Odyssey 6-cyl

When we went down hill on freeway 5 at los angeles and baker field county, ca. The car started shaking with the sound like driving on the deep and bump road, the steering wheel turning left and right vigorously when I tried to apply slightly brake to slow down the speed of the car. It was scared to death when you go down hill with that problem. It is too dangerous for our family. Please recall this van for safety, thank you very much.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 242014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On I69E heading North at 65 mph after cresting an overpass hill, vehicle stopped in middle lane no brake lights lit, hit brake pedal to stop but the brakes never reacted as normal. Push the brake pedal as hard as I could but the tires never squealed on the dry payment. Unable to change lanes due to other traffic and ended up hitting stopped vehicle still going about 20mph. $2,700 damage to my Odyssey and other car had heavy rear damage.

- Laguna Vista, TX, USA

Nov 142014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I purchased this 2008 Honda Odyssey in 2011, with approximately 45,000 miles on it. During the winter of 2013, I began to experience groaning (and sometimes "humming") noises from the power steering system. Additionally, the steering wheel was hard to turn at low speeds. I assumed the vehicle was low on fluids so with every oil change (at the Honda dealership), I insisted the power steering fluid be filled. The Honda dealer was not able to identify any noises. However, last night on the way home from work at approximately 10pm, the noise re-appears. The steering issue is now following the noise making it difficult to steer the vehicle resulting in a safety issue in operating the vehicle. I know I share these concerns with other Honda Odyssey owners and our complaints are falling on deaf ears with the dealers. I really want to see these concerns addressed before someone gets hurt.

- Buford, GA, USA

Oct 242014

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the brakes independently engaged without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,000.

- White Hall, WV, USA

Sep 072014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 09/07/14, was involved in a 4 car accident. Traveling westbound on route 60, near I605, light traffic at approx. 3:45 pm. # 1 lane was closing, due to fwy work/maintenance. Saw signs and proceeded to move from the #1 lane to the #2 lane, while in the #2 lane noticed the flashing arrow for the lane closure. I estimate I slowed to about 60 mph, since traffic was merging, car in front was approx. 6-7 cars lengths ahead, when I saw brake lights from the car ahead of me and they had come to a complete stop. Which appeared to be from an accident. I immediately applied the brakes hard to stop, but could not stop in time. Ended up hitting the vehicle in from lightly, maybe about 5-10 mph at time of impact. Based upon the distance from the car ahead, I should have been able to stop our vehicle. Did not feel like the anti-lock braking system was working, felt no pulsating or push back in the pedal and car appeared to skid/slide into the car ahead. I found a recall notice for the anti-lock brakes, which stated that air can enter the system and affect the vehicle braking system. Never received any recall notice from Honda about this and I believe the faulty brake system was a factor in our avoidable incident. Another car hit us from behind and the driver was injured very badly.

- Montebello, CA, USA

Apr 012009

Odyssey 6-cyl

First complaint was described by the dealers as a humming in the transmission. My description is like a kickback or hard downshifting. Next complaint is brakes seem like you apply foot to pedal and it seems like your not going to stop while foot is all the way down. Then there's like a sound of something releasing or letting go.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Odyssey 6-cyl

When braking the front end of the vehicle shakes severely. Honda dealers claim that "these vans just have a bad brake design" and charge to re-surface the rotors approximately every twelve to fourteen thousand miles. I'm amazed that there haven't been more accidents caused by this flaw. With the severe shaking there is also dramatic brake fading, especially driving on any downhill slope. We are always hesitant to take the vehicle on long trips as you never know when the brakes will act up.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jun 032014

When stopping at a red light, the car accelerates as if the transmission is surging. I apply the brakes and shift the car into neutral or park to stop the acceleration. This has happened on numerous occasions, I'm afraid of rear ending another car. Honda claims there is no problem.

- Richmond, CA, USA

May 232014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vsa warning light illuminated and the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the 60,000 mile service was performed. The contact was advised by the mechanic that a pressure sensor in the control unit (part number: 6601) had failed, which resulted in the vsa modulator needing to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired at that time. The contact later received notification that her vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V500000 (electrical) and took the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The dealer installed and updated the yaw rate sensor under the recall but did not perform the calibration. The vsa warning light continued to illuminate and the dealer advised the contact that the yaw rate sensor could not be calibrated with the system until the vsa modulator was replaced at her expense. The vsa modulator was not replaced. There was a second recall initiated prior to the recent recall under NHTSA campaign number: 10V098000 (service brakes, air) which involved repairs to the vsa modulator by removing any existing air in the braking system, followed by the application of sealant and caps to prevent air from entering the braking system. The contact's vehicle was not included in the recall campaign pertaining to the vsa modulator. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 60,000. Kmj updated 9/11/14 updated 1/20/2015

- York, PA, USA

May 152014

The contact owns a 2008 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the stability assist modulator sensor illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the stability assist modulator sensor and the brake pressure sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,177.

- Fairlawn, VA, USA

Mar 052013

Odyssey 6-cyl

During braking between 20 - 40 mph, the vehicle surges forward. This has been most noticeable when going downhill and braking. It seams as the automatic transmission is downshifting prematurely (to high engine RPM) thus causing the vehicle to surge (jump) forward. This has occurred multiple time (more than 6) over the past 3 years. Note: Mileage and speed are estimated.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Mar 262014

Odyssey 6-cyl

When braking, even press the brake very hard, the car is making squeaking noise, and it will not stop. Had to release and press the brake three times, to finally stop the car. Good thing we were doing only 20mph.

- Great Falls, VA, USA