2003 Honda Pilot seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Pilot:

2003 Honda Pilot Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jan 212015

Pilot 6-cyl

January 2015 I received an air bag recall on 2003 Honda Pilot, the same day I contacted tempe Honda with my recall id number to schedule an appointment to have the issue taking care of, promptly E-mail confirmation was received with the date and time available and no further question of any kind. When I arrived to the tempe Honda dealer the day of the appointment a service representative asked me if any other service of any kind was to be performed at that time. I replied negative, only the recall issue. And handed the key to the service representative, about 20 minutes later the service representative informed me that he did not have the replacement part at that time, that I would receive a call to re-schedule the service when the parts were available. Almost 2 month later and no phone call.

- Casa Grande , AZ, USA

Jan 142015

Pilot 6-cyl

I received a recall notice in Jan 2015 for my 2003 Honda Pilot. I immediately contacted the local Honda dealership and requested they order the parts required to safely repair the air bags. I contacted them again in March of 2015 and no progress has been made. Currently Honda is unable to tell me how much longer until the replacement parts will be available to safely repair the vehicle. I am beyond frustrated at this time.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Mar 192015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags) however the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a resonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lexington , SC, USA

Mar 022015

Pilot

2003 Honda Pilot. Consumer writes in regards to passengers front air bag inflator recall notice. The consumer was informed the part was not avaialble.

- Parker, CO, USA

Mar 162015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V351000 (air bags) and 14V349000 (air bags); however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Mar 142014

Pilot

The vehicle has had unpredictable braking and traction for well over a year. Dealer visit on March 14, 2014 did not produce a cause. More recently I was unable to stop the vehicle from 40 mph for a red light with full brake pressure. Road conditions were good at the time. I had to accelerate through the intersection to avoid a collision. The vehicle currently displays the "check engine" light and "vtm-4" light quite consistently. Traction is also intermittently compromised by some unknown problem. It seems that when the vtm-4 light is on, the AWD feature of the vehicle is disabled. When it is on, it cannot be disabled with the switch on the dash. The driver side air bag was ordered on October 29, 2014 but has not yet become available. I called the dealer again on March 2, 2014 after I received another air bag recall notice. This now includes the passenger side as well as the driver side. Air bags are not expected for another two to three months. They will call...............!

- Worcester, MA, USA

Mar 032015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign id numbers: 14V351000 (air bags) and 14V349000 (air bags). The contact stated that the parts needed were unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hoffman Estates , IL, USA

Feb 242015

Pilot 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V349000 (air bags) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 03/24/15 the consumer stated as of 3/12/15 the recall parts had not become available. Updated 10/20/2015

- Danville, VA, USA

Feb 232015

Pilot 6-cyl

I received a safety recall notice the end of January 2015. I called my Honda dealership on 02/12 to schedule an appointment and was told the "parts" were not available yet, please call back the end of the month. I just called my Honda dealership today, 02/23, and was told the "parts" would not be available until April! I just want this officially documented, should I or one of my family members(god forbid) have an accident with this vehicle and receive injuries because of this delay!! updated 09/23/15.

- Canton, GA, USA

Feb 062015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V700000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V351000 (air bags) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavailable.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 112014

Pilot 6-cyl

Filed a complaint with Honda in 2011, to no avail, regarding our sticky/tacky airbag covers, probably caused by climate heat. In doing the current airbag recall work, the covers became permanently fingerprinted at the dealership. Again filed a complaint with Honda, explaining that not only are the covers even more unsightly because of the fingerprinting on the dashboard, it becomes a safety issue because you refrain from using the horn when needed because of the sticky nature of the cover, which leaves a residue on your hand. Honda offered to pay 25% of $ $2100 cost to fix their problem, a problem that we did not create. Not the response we were looking for...

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Oct 292014

Pilot

When I called to inquire of Honda about the partial recall for the passenger side airbag I was told not to worry about it since it hadn't exploded yet. Really? I guess Honda isn't interested in repeat business; I have owned nothing but their products. Looks like I need to find a new(or smarter) manufacturer.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Oct 232014

Pilot 6-cyl

My vehicle is listed in the 6/2/2014 recall notice for the passenger airbag. Over the past 4 months I have tried to get the vehicle repaired per the recall notice and have been repeatedly told by the dealer that Honda has not given them instructions about how to fix per the recall. I have contacted Honda corporate and they report they will get back to me at some unknown time. Based on the reports of fatalities relating to Honda air bags, I am concerned whether or not the 2003 Honda Pilot is safe to Transport my family and friends. I request that either Honda promptly repair per the recall notice or officially and immediately let me know that the vehicle is safe to Transport people in its current state. Additionally, I am concerned about the driver's side airbag, even though the driver's side airbag is not listed in the regional safety recall. My vehicle has spent significant time in hot and humid areas, including South Carolina. I can find no data that gives me confidence that drivers side airbags in vehicles registered in states other than Florida, South Carolina, and other "hot" states are safe. I request that NHTSA immediately review the facts and data for driver's side airbags for vehicles not covered in the regional recall because of the "hot" state vs. "non-hot" state differentiation and issue information to the public regarding the risks. Thank you for your consideration and help.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Sep 122014

Pilot

Honda has failed to issue the recall for the defective tanata airbags they installed in this vehicle. We are the original owners. We contacted them directly early in September and they committed to recall it within a month. No recall has ever arrived.

- Bayside Hills, NY, USA

Oct 012014

Pilot 6-cyl

2003 Honda Pilot. Consumer writes in regards to recall concerning defective airbag inflators. Updated 11/20/14

- Bayside Hills, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Pilot 6-cyl

Parked the car. Came back about 10 minutes later, heard loud like shots fired, rounded the corner to see it was our airbags popping...the car was on fire under the hood, and going to the dashboard. Called 911 and by the time the fire dept. Came ( 1 mile away) the whole car was engulfed. The whole car destroyed, all that was left was the shell no seats no dashboard no license plates nothing left. We complied to all recalls and took it to a Honda dealership each time for repairs. We had a steering column fire about 2-3 years ago driving along and the car filled with smoke, it was a electrical fire, but pulling over turning off the engine put out the fire. Had it repaired immediately. A week before the big fire we felt the column and it was hot...but cooled after we parked it. Then days later is when it burned to the ground, even the tires were gone. Honda doesn't care about our loss, and of course it's not their fault. P.S. in 2007 we got hurt in that same car we were stopped on the side of the road ( we were in the car) and a truck crossed the line and hit us head on. Our seat belts didn't hold us in, they loosened and airbags did not deploy. We were hurt and Honda said the truck hit us too high is why the airbags didn't deploy. That sounds ridiculous. The seat belt shoulder straps didn't hold us cause we weren't moving also sounds ridiculous. Honda didn't care then either.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Sep 012014

Pilot

2003 Honda Pilot. Consumer writes in regards to airbag replacement issues. The dealer informed the consumer, the vehicle had been in salt water. However, the consumer stated while he does work near the water, but not salt water.

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Aug 302014

Pilot 6-cyl

Re: recall # JF7 passenger airbag inflator (for 2003 - 2007 Honda Pilot sold in high absolute humidity states) my vehicle was sold new in February 2003 in myrtle beach, an ocean-front city in South Carolina, one of the states referred to in the above recall as having high absolute humidity. The vehicle remained titled in coastal South Carolina from February 2003 until March 2007, a period of four years. Because the vehicle spent the first four years of its existence in an area of high absolute humidity, I am concerned about the present and future functionality of both driver and passenger airbag inflators. Please add my vehicle to the recall list for replacement of both airbag inflators. Thank you.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 092013

Pilot

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. The contact stated that the brakes failed to engage and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact attempted to utilize the emergency brake but to no avail. The vehicle then proceed through traffic and crashed into an embankment. The air bags deployed from the compartment but failed to inflate. The contact sustained injuries to the neck, the front seat passenger sustained injuries to the head and the rear passenger sustained injuries to the face. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was 127,000.

- Pittsford , NY, USA