CarComplaints.com Notes: There's an emerging trend of transmission problem with the 2010 Elantra at fairly early mileage.

So far owners report having the transmission replaced under warranty but that won't hold up for much longer. It may be a bit premature but for now we're putting the "CLUNKER" rating on the 2010 Elantra just to be safe.

Speaking of being safe, you might not be unless Hyundai can figure out why their airbags aren't deploying.

2010 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Elantra:

2010 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 022015

Elantra

Last week the day after dlst ended, I used by headlights for the first time in months. This seemed to coincide with the start of the clicking of my steering wheel while driving. I stopped & talked w/ a mechanic, he said a dealer would have to do a costly repair because it involved the computer located in the steering column. It would probably need replacement. I am worried it may be a safety issue. He said it was not but I decided to check recalls.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Nov 092015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. While driving at approximately 20 mph and making a turn, a loud knocking noise emitted from the steering wheel. The failure occurred when driving and became progressively worse. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Deerpark, TX, USA

Oct 142015

Elantra

When driving the car and using the steering, the steering wheel clicks when you turn it any which way. Also the steering feels loose & sloppy. It happens every time you drive it.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Oct 012015

Elantra

Noise when turn right and left. Also when is driving make a noise under the stering wheel colunm-dash

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 302015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. When starting the vehicle, the power steering failed. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V100000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 272015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. When the vehicle was started and the contact attempted to turn the steering wheel, there was a knocking sound and a slight hesitation was felt in the steering column. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the eps system was faulty and needed to be repaired and updated. The steering coupling was also faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V100000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Del Ray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 232015

Elantra

On July 15th I attempted to start my car and the ESC light and the electronic power steering light both came on. I was not able to steer the car. I called my mechanic and the car was taken to the shop. It was found that the computer code for the eps was not in the system. The car had not been drive for about a week. The mechanic was able to reprogram the system. The following day I again attempted to drive the car and the same lights (ESC and eps) came on. I was informed that the power steering column had to be replaced. I see no reason the power steering should need to be replaced on a car that in 5 years old and has been properly maintained.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 042015

Elantra

The contact owns a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise and the eps warning light illumianted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the lower steering coupler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V100000 (steering) but the dealer indicated that the required repair was in addition to the software update recall repair that was performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Boynton Beach , FL, USA

May 282015

Elantra

Driving on the freeway I noticed that the red eps come on, at first I didnt notice anything then I made a lane change and found the steering was very difficult to control I struggled to park the car it took everything I had to turn that wheel around a corner and park it, this seems like a serious safety issue and hopefully it should prompt a Hyundai recall.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 042012

Elantra

The Hyundai Elantra had its steering lock up while driving at a low rate of speed as it was on an approach ramp preparing to merge on to wi state highway 441 in the town of menasha, wi. This caused the car to go into the guardrail since the steering would not respond. The accident occurred at noon on a clear day on dry pavement. Witnesses to the accident indicated that the steering did not respond before the vehicle crashed into the guardrail. Luckily there were no injuries to the driver other than minor bruises. No other car was involved in the accident.we filed a complaint with Hyundai after the incident but they did not come out to examine the car until after it had been repaired. Earlier this year we received a notice that this same steering defect was covered by the recall announcement. The car was repaired as part of this recall. Hyundai has continued to deny any flaw that could have caused this accident.

- Menasha, WI, USA

Apr 272015

Elantra 4-cyl

I noticed when tuning the steering wheel, that it felt like there was a ball rolling back and forth in the steering column and it made a strange soft "thud". I called the dealer and was told it was probably the steering column coupler going bad. I took it to my mechanic who agreed with the diagnosis and he also printed out a technical safety bulletin stating that the coupler is defective and would need to be replaced if a "thud" or "clicking noise" appeared. I was told this was not a safety issue but at the same time I received a recall letter regarding the electronic steering software. The recall states that the computer could get confused and stop the power steering which would result in the manual steering of the vehicle. Since I was out of the 50K mile warranty they would not be able to repair the steering coupler under warranty. It will cost me $260 to get that repaired. The steering software is back ordered and I won't be able to get that fixed until after May 22nd. I feel that the steering coupler issue is dangerous in that I may not be able to steer the vehicle once it finally goes bad. I want to know if this is a safety issue.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

May 142014

Elantra 4-cyl

I took my 2010 Hyundai Elantra in because the eps light was on and the power steering was not functional. At that time they inspected it and also replaced the stop lamp switch from a previous recall. The power steering had gone out once prior but resolved itself and I had not brought it in. When I did bring it in on 5/ 14/14 there was no service performed to resolve the issue. I brought it in again on 6/2/14 because again the eps light was on and the power steering was non-functional. My car was only 8,000 miles outside the warranty and in spite of research on the NHTSA website I paid out of pocket for the repair which was quite costly. This is not a wear-and-tear issue it is a product defect. As evidenced by other manufacturers using the same part/technology and issuing recalls. The malfunction was intermittent and could have caused a very serious accident.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Feb 112015

Elantra 4-cyl

The rims on my 5 year old car look like it was parked in the ocean they are rusting so bad and this car has never lived North of Carolina. I am afraid that this defect is going to cause my wheel to fall off one day. The steering wheel started popping or catching whenever I try to turn the vehicle to the left, but dealership tells me it is not on the recall list, so it will cost $110 just to look at the problem. The driver?S side window is very hard going up or down (makes a load thud when it gets to the top or bottom) and I am afraid it is going to break the glass one of these days. The dashboard is much discolored (that started after only 2 years of owning the car). The interior door handles have the metal wrapping peeling off causing me to cut my hand when I go to open the door. I fear that my car is a "lemon" and I am very disappointed as this is my second Hyundai (bought them both brand new) and this one is a piece of junk ? but the dealership won't help.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Elantra

No matter moving or stopped the steering has a knock or click. Took it to the service center, the mechanic said the alignment is correct. All the front suspension is tight. The sound is from the internal power assist electric motor and this is normal!! I question this because it never did this before.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 072015

Elantra

Driving on the freeway we noticed the red eps light was illuminated. At first we didnt notice anything then we made a lane change and found the steering was very very difficult to control. When we pulled off the freeway that is when it was found that the steering had definitely gone. It took everything I had to turn that wheel around a corner and park it. This seems like a serious safety issue and hopefully it should prompt a Hyundai recall.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Aug 052014

Elantra 4-cyl

I was driving my car to a doctors appointment when I was making a turn into the parking lot the steering wheel would not move and the eps light came on. I struggled to park the car and after my dr. Appointment called my husband and he drove the car to brandon Hyundai where I purchased the car they took the car in and we got a rental car. They replaced column & shaft assy-steerin 56310-2H250 and bolt-safety lock 81919-31000 qty 2 work order says found steering column shorted out replace module, test ok 731sz recall 110-31C017R0 - stop lamp switch repl installed 93810-4dr0A-qqh switch assy-brake pedal qty 1 then there was another time on December 26, 2014 my granddaughter was driving the car and making a right turn from a two lane road onto a two lane road where cars where stopped at a red light when the steering wheel would not turn and the eps light came on and she hit 2 cars that were at the light. My car had $6002.36 in damage on it. The unibody on the car had to be pulled and squared and an alignment was also done. Thank god no one was hurt but what are the chances of this happening again only worse. When it was only a little over four (4) months since it was fixed. I am afraid to drive this car. That someone may be killed.

- Lithia, FL, USA

Nov 162014

Elantra 4-cyl

Over the past 2 years the electric power steering (eps) on my 2010 Hyundai Elantra has failed multiple times - the power steering stops and the eps light on the dash illuminates. Luckily I was always close to home and no one was hurt. It happens under all kinds of conditions, going uphill / downhill / 50mph or 5mph / turning / driving straight - there is not a single 'road condition' or 'driving condition' that consistently triggers the failure. I reported the problem to Hyundai in connection with last year's 'stop lamp switch' recall. I had hoped the problems were related - they are not. I have taken the car to the dealer several times (rude and unhelpful is an understatement). I have had the 'stop lamp switch' replaced as part of the recall, and also the 'air bag clockspring' replaced (which I had to pay for), and the steering 're-calibrated'. since these repairs the eps has failed on a few separate occasions, and I have taken it to the mechanic twice more, and no one can figure out why the eps is just shutting down. This is a serious and potentially fatal design flaw. I would just like to know what the issue is and how to solve it. By now Hyundai has to know this widespread problem.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Apr 042014

Elantra 4-cyl

Like several other complaints, the eps light came on and the power steering shut down, making the car extremely difficult to control. The dealer calibrated the eps with a software update for a charge of approximately $100. Things worked fine for a week, during which time the car was driven about 500 miles, but then the same problem recurred. The car was out of warranty by 8,000 miles but was still within the five year warranty time by several months. The dealer informed Hyundai of the situation, and they approved a "goodwill repair" under the warranty, which consisted of recalibrating and replacing the steering column assembly at no additional cost, which would have ordinarily had a charge of around $2,000. I have delayed reporting this for several months to be certain the repair lasted for a significant length of time. I also wanted to report, unlike most of the other complaints, a relatively satisfactory remediation of this serious problem by our dealer and Hyundai. Nevertheless this problem looks to be common enough and certainly is serious enough that it should have had an official safety recall.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Oct 072014

Elantra

I had driven around 2 miles without any issue and was waiting on red traffic light before entering my apartment community. When the light turned green I noticed that eps indicator has turned on and steering wheel is jammed. Thankfully the road ahead was straight and I was able to maneuver the car safely over the curb with extreme difficulty. I tried the sequence of complete stop and start multiple times but it did not resolve the issue. I will be taking the car to the dealer for diagnosis. This is utterly unacceptable failure which has definite potential of resulting into accident.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 152014

Elantra

Eps light comes on and the power steering would shut off. This happen about four times and I able to shut the car off, restart and drive. The last time I was on the highway and it happen again. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road and restarted the car. First time at the dealer, they said it was just a computer up-grade for $98. One week later it happen again. This time the dealer is telling me the steering column need to be replaced because of a senor for $2,500 plus. What's going on with this" I see on the internet I'm not the first. Why has there been no re-call if this such an issue that could result in an crash or someone getting killed. It can be a good thing if I lose steering on a highway in the middle of a rush-hour"

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA