CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Jan 162016

Cherokee

I started my car with push button ignition and it immediately accelerated to 4000 RPM and stayed at that speed for over 20 minutes. During that time, I was unable to turn the car off and could not shift the car. When the engine finally returned to a normal idle speed, I could shift the car but could not accelerate the engine. I would press the gas pedal and nothing happened...the engine remained running at idle. I called to have it towed to the dealer and after it sat for an hour or so, it was able to be driven on to the flatbed truck. The check engine light was on. After 5 days, the service manager called and said that they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. The check engine light was not on and there were no codes indicating a problem. They did nothing to find or address this problem and I'm concerned that it could happen again while I'm driving the car. I am also concerned that the engine could have been damaged by running continually at 4ooo RPM for over 20 minutes.. I would assume that this event was caused by a software problem, so I am confident that it will reoccur. Frnkly, I am afraid to drive this car.

- Calverton, NY, USA

Jan 182016

Cherokee

My vehicle has had continuous issues of jerking/missing gears when it shifts, when I took to be checked I was told it was a known problem with this vehicle and there was nothing that could be done until the engine blows up. I was not notified of any sort of issues when I bought the vehicle new. I have also now had continuous problems with my vehicle not starting from being stationary, multiple times it has not started after being off for a period of time, ie 24 hours, but also numerous times my vehicle has shut off while in motion, I was driving down the road and my vehicle just shut off completely, no lights, no gas, no radio etc. I was luckily on the side of a non-busy road at that time about to turn onto a main road. I had both my children in the vehicle with me. I was unable to start my vehicle from this now stationary position for approx. 15 minutes I sat idle in the road with my children in the car. Another time my vehicle shut off while I was driving in a busy intersection my car shut off as I was turning and I was almost T-boned my vehicle started up after trying a few times and I was able to get out of the road way. Once I was parked in a parking lot to collect myself, my vehicle would not start again. It took approx. 4 times trying to start it again. I have contacted the dealership again and will be taking it back, to be checked. When I took it to them the first time for it to be checked as to why it shut off and they could only come up with that it was low on oil, they did an oil change and said nothing was wrong with my vehicle, which clearly the oil wasn't the problem because it has only been about 400 miles since the oil change.

- Waterford, CT, USA

Aug 102015

Cherokee

Car has lost power while driving 3X. Car was in motion/traffic travelling at 65mph, 45mph, 65 mph.dealer/manufacturer are not able to identify problem. Service advisor at steven's creek Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep stated that Jeep needs to buy the car back but manufacturer is unable to help out. Car towed twice to dealer.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Dec 302015

Cherokee

At four different random occasions vehicle will disengage the transmission while in drive and become uncontrollable only thing responsive are the brakes. The power steering will go out as well and the vehicle transmission light and parking light will appear on the gauge display. After pulling over on the highway and letting the vehicle sit off for 5 minutes, I would then restart the vehicle and still get a indicator stating to put the vehicle in park when it is already in park. Afterwards vehicle indicator lights would go away after a few restarts and once put in drive gears would shift roughly. After multiple times of turning the vehicle on and off things will return to normal but as stated before I have no clue what triggers the transmission to disengage. It has happened to me while driving through the city and highway going at different speeds.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Dec 302015

Cherokee 4-cyl

I bought a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited and after one week, check engine light came on and car wouldn't start. Taken back to dealership and was told it was fixed. Since then the Jeep shifts very hard making the SUV lurch forward at times and other times it will shift into a lower gear when speeds over 50 mph and make the SUV jerk to a slower speed. When cruising down a hill without pushing the accelerator, SUV will shift gears many different times causing the Jeep to lurch forward quickly without warning. When trying to pass a car on the hwy, it takes Jeep a few seconds to "catch" the gear and make it go faster. I have had several near misses of other cars hitting me and me, hitting others due to the unpredictability of speeds and jerking forward. I have had the SUV in the shop 4 times for "software updates" and told that would fix the problem. It has never fixed the problem. Most recent near miss was yesterday 29 Dec due to downshifting wile moving at higher speeds and causing the SUV to slow dramatically without warning.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 052015

Cherokee

Roseville Chrysler called 12/11/15 @ 10:32 am told me they completed oil change and I can pick up my vehicle. Fyi: This vehicle was towed to roseville Chrysler dealership 12/7/15 and will remain there because this vehicle is a lemon and is dangerous. Will not risk my life or my 6yr son health to drive this vehicle!! 2014 Jeep Cherokee SUV started jerking & idled stop moving on me twice 12/5/15 @3:30pm. I was stuck in the middle of intersection 13mile & utica for 1minute fortunately no one was tailgating & I didn┐T get in a car accident. All I want is to exchange for another vehicle that is not a Cherokee. Purchased vehicle May 8 2014 incident dates May 9, 2014 bake & radio complaint May 12, 2014 brake complaint Sept 5, 2014 radio complaint Sept 9, 2014 radio replaced Sept 11,2014 radio complaint 4/6/15 complaint over jerking vehicle 7/21/15 installed new transmission / installed new door handle latch for trunk 12/5/15 jerking SUV twice 2 stops driving 12/7/15 returned to dealership

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 262015

Cherokee

Car has been taken in to the dealer numerous of times due to transmission jerkin. In March 2015 the transmission was replaces and the jerking continuous. I have been taking the car in for the transmission jerking but according to the dealer they can't duplicate. As of November 26,2015; the car started to stall while in movement and I have to wait about 10 min for the car to start. So this means that the car stops in the middle of the street and freeways with going traffic and does not turn back on. It happened every day after that. On November 30, 2015; in a matter of 3 block the car stopped 3 times. I took the car to the dealer on December 1, 2015 and as of now they want me to pick up the car because they can not duplicate. To me is a matter of safety. I drive by myself with my 3 kids. I don't understand if they are waiting for something major to happen to me and my kids to do something about it. I have a trip planned for this weekend and honestly I don't even know if it would happen due to the insecurity of the vehicle. I have contacted manufacturing and they are doing nothing about it. Also, a BBB claim was done because of the issues with the transmission and there was nothing done about it either. I and getting ready to do another BBB due to the stalling as well.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Nov 122015

Cherokee

After dealership replaced transmission at 30,000 miles for improperly shifting we noticed a burning smell and noticed new transmission was slipping and not shifting properly. We called the dealership and was advised that the not get it in to be checked for another week and a half. At 9:10pm I went around the corner about 4 blocks to visit with a friend and left and came back to my home where I noticed smoke coming from underneath the hood. Upoing the hood I saw light from a flame and extinguished it using a garden hose. Minimal damage but fire non the less. Chrysler corporate stated I can not drive it and to let it sit un touched. I have a daughter to get to school and jobs to do that pays my bills. Three days pass I call Chrysler again and state I am going to fix the vehicle my self and send them a bill. I tighten the transmission lines they did seem loose. No transmission still leaking. 15 days later still no word from crysler. I have a $28,880 paper weight in my front yard costing me $380 a month. I have called crysler every day for a 2 weeks and all they can tell me is " its in our legal department". no call, no loaner, nothing. An expensive paper weight costing money.

- Duncan, OK, USA

Mar 022015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was depressed and released, the vehicle accelerated rapidly without warning. In addition, the vehicle sputtered as if it would stall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,900.

- Carbondale, PA, USA

Feb 122015

Cherokee

2 times already I have had to take my car into the dealership because it would shut off randomly while driving. This has happened while on the highway and also while on busy streets. So far I have been able to drift to the side of the road, put the car in park and then turn the car off and back on. The car sputters when restarting and on multiple occasions will stall again. Both times they tried to blame it on the oil change being overdue. The 2nd time I had to have the car towed to the dealership and they stated there was no oil in the car. How a car loses oil if there isn't a leak, I'm not sure. This is now the third time it is happening and based on the car's computer I still have 30% to go before needing an oil change and the car is shutting off on me again randomly. I was at the dealership for the 2nd time less than 3 months ago. I drive in miami and have been lucky that my son was not in the car with me.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 212015

Cherokee

Driving to work on hwy in heavy traffic I accelerated up a small hill car jerked then powered down on hwy at 65 mph I was able to coast over three lanes of traffic and pull off to side of road then noticed service transmission, check parking break, put car in park and then select gear all came on as messages also the traction control light came on. Put care in park and restarted engine all lights/messages still on dash and car would not go into gear for driving. Tried two more times and finally could drive under 50 mph straight to dealer for service. The check transmission light remained on during my entire drive to the dealership. I had previously experienced acceleration when in traffic coasting and my foot off gas pedal. Also hard shifting multiple times like it was skipping gears when accelerating. Very scary and unsafe situation to be in.

- Rossford, OH, USA

Jul 152015

Cherokee

I have received 3 recall alerts on different problems with the car. When I call the dealer they said they can not fix because Chrysler has not issued/delivered the parts. It has been over 3 2/12 months since the first recall alert and I have gotten two more additional notices since then. All are safety related issues. Unacceptable.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Mar 032014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after multiple attempts. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The contact mentioned that the vehicle computer software was reset but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Jul 282015

Cherokee

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 12:12pm on interstate 91-S at 65mph in the middle travel lane, I was surrounded by multiple tractor-trailers. My dashboard suddenly lit up like a christmas tree. I immediately attempted to get to safety. The car's speed dropped dramatically without warning, even when I applied the gas. At least two tractor-trailers just missed hitting me. I narrowly managed to get to the right side of the highway. On Friday, July 31, 2015, executive Jeep reassured me that the vehicle was repaired and safe to drive. I expressed my concern about it being safe; the service advisor re-assured me that it was. On Monday, August 3, 2015, just 7 days after the vehicle failed me, I was en route to work on 91-N I was traveling in the middle lane surrounded by multiple vehicles. Again, the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I was almost hit by other vehicles while trying to make my way to the right side of the highway. The car's speed dropped dramatically without warning, even when I applied the gas. For the second time in one week, the vehicle failed in the same manner and I narrowly managed to get to the breakdown lane. Chrysler insists that this vehicle is safe to drive. This is the third Jeep Cherokee in Connecticut that I am personally aware of that has the same defect; this is unacceptable. I purchased a new Jeep to be safe; my experience with Jeep has been far from that. I am stuck paying of an unsafe vehicle. Narrowly avoiding being killed twice in this vehicle is enough for me.

- Branford, CT, USA

Aug 042015

Cherokee

I bought this car brand new, and have had problems with it starting randomly, locking, and unlocking randomly, alarm going off in the middle of night, (yes, my neighbors hate me) and now my stereo goes in and out..

- Redmond, WA, USA

May 312015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at approximately 15 mph, the vehicle upshifted without being prompted and then returned to original shift without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was repaired under the manufacturer recall, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Carvillen, IL, USA

Oct 072015

Cherokee

Tranmission jerk often, engine something about to shut off, I was at mcdonald drive thur, and the tranmission jerk alot, and engine shut off. This is not my first times that happpen. Went to dealer 5 times and inform them off the problem, they look at it and said there is nothing that they can find. It because they not driving it everyday. This was the worst purchase I ever did. I wanted a Acura but wife like the style of the car. I regret getting this car. If I can replace it I would definitly do it today. Worst car ever 2014 Jeep Cherokee. Or at less a replacement vehicle.

- Winder, GA, USA

Oct 192015

Cherokee

While in drive engine shuts off unexpectedly as a violent jerk from transmission occurs ( luckily at slower speeds) display says "shift to P to select desired gear" goto park and restart is spinning starter solenoid several retries and its like it never happened, took to dealer and reoccurred enroute dealer asked if "check engine light " came on I said no, he claims thats impossible, then showed him the picture I took of dash, same thing 2 days in a row very dangerous imo

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Oct 052015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The failure was experienced several times. The contact was able to restart the engine and it resumed to normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Clio, MI, USA

Oct 122015

Cherokee

Was driving in very busy town, luckily turning into a parking lot, Jeep had lost all power, and was showing engine light, etc light flashing, and traction control was shut off. Got the Jeep running again about 15 minutes later, auto zone was next door but they could not read the codes. Had to drive an hour to the closest dealership. Was told there was a recall that needed to be updated, was told to drive it so many miles to reset everything, then sent back on my way. The next day I was putting the required miles on it, it left me stranded on the side of highway with young child, got it to start again and made it back to park it the rest of the day. Next morning drove 1/4 mile down road and it had lost all power again. Called dealership to let them know I was bringing it back, Jeep would not go past 3rd gear, almost hit multiple times trying to get off the road. Got to dealership, they told me it is un-driveable after driving over an hour to get there, they had Jeep almost 3 weeks. Mileage was around 18,000. Would need to replace transmission, when they finally called to say it was ready, I was told it was bc it needed an oil change...with only 3500 miles on this change(feb2015-march2015). Now(oct2015) Jeep shows engine, etc, traction control, after turning at light in neighborhood. Took Jeep to new dealership, could not recreate problem, 3 days for diagnosis.

- Alvarado, TX, USA