CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Feb 072014

Cherokee

The first time it happened was when I was merging onto a highway and the car locked. The steering wheel locked, the breaks locked, and multiple different malfunction lights came on including the engine light and my car saying to check the transmission. I turned the car off and back on, and no lights were on so I drove it to the next exit to get off the highway. As I was trying to get into a parking lot in 5 O'clock traffic, the car accelerated on its own then locked up again. I ended up having to get a new transmission owning the car for less than a month. Since then the car has had random moments of accelerating on its own and when I have reported it to Jeep arlington they would say nothing was wrong with my car. Since then, my car has had 3 other separate occasions where it has locked up and/or accelerated on its own and having to get it towed to Jeep; all reportedly by Jeep having to do with my transmission. One of those times occurred again on a busy state road during 5 O'clock traffic and an officer had to stay behind me until a tow company came.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 202015

Cherokee

On September 20th at 5:30 am driving 55mph my 2014 Jeep Cherokee trail hawk suddenly just shut off the whole car. It restated 45 minutes later and I drove it to minot automotive center. The error messages that came on the dash were "service transmission< service emergancy break, check engine light" minot automotive wrote on their diagnostic paper that code U0402 "implausible data recieved from tcm" and code P0975- shift control solenoid B circuit control performance errors were stored. Dealer updated the tcm and PCM software to version for tsbs 18-031-14 rev a and 21-043-15 they cleared the codes the returned. On September 23 the Jeep just died again while driving down hiway at 65 mph, it restarted an hour later and again took to dealer who promply said it would be 4 weeks before they could look at it. Called Jeep/chysler service # and assigned case #27877752 and told someone would call me back. Jeep again died on Sept 23 2015 2 more times as the dealer said it was safe to drive and Jeep wouldn't pay for a rental. I never was called back from Jeep so called them again.this time assigned a case manager who just stonewalls me and never returns calls. Jeeps bright idea was to have it towed 150miles at my expense of $664 to another dealer who wouldn't look at it for 2 months. Car dies again while driving 65 on September 24 2015. If we or the other motoring public live thru this it will be a miracle.

- Surrey, ND, USA

Jun 232015

Cherokee

The day after we bought the Jeep the check engine light came on, took back to dealer they reset system. I took in couple months having the Jeep for shifting hard, stalling and not much power up hills. They often told me when taking it to dealer they can't duplicate my problem. After taking in to dealer several times on 5/08/2015 they finally replaced my transmission, it had died on me at a busy intersection wouldnt shift and check engine light on. When got my Jeep back still had the same problems and airconditioner was'nt working properly. So as of now my Jeep back at the dealer for accelerating on its own, stalling, no power, shifting hard and dead gas pedal at times while driving. I have talked with the service manager today and he says they can't fix it if shows no code or he can't duplicate the problem. Thats the story I get when taking it to the shop. I have tried to get them to buy it back and haven't gotten anywhere with that as of right now. I feel that this Jeep is so dangerous that I don't wana drive it anymore.

- Villa Rica, GA, USA

May 052014

Cherokee

When starting out from 1-2, and 2-3 gears, about 75% of the time one of two things happens.. 1, jerky and hard shifting or 2, does not get gas to the engine until I floor it then it jerks very hard. Every time I took it in, I asked them to look at it. They confirmed the problem but a transmission update did not fix the problem. Still happening at 11,000 miles. Jerks my neck, and worried about getting rear ended.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 162015

Cherokee

Was driving home and check transmission and motor lights came on. We pulled over stopped car and turned on and could drive home. Next day with kids in heavy traffic, car just coasted and all lights went on, kids were scared and almost hit by a truck as we pulled over to curve. Restarted car and could drive home but the transmission was jerky. Next morning took to dealer and they found all the faults I reported. They said communication problem and cleaned all leads and said if happend again they would have to contact chrystler direct. Next morning, lights came back on check transmission and pulling out of my garage, almost slammed me into a wall changing gears. Dealer confirmed problem in transmission and ordered a new one under guarantee. I am without a car for at least 3 weeks and dealer said if I had gotten the extended guarantee would have gotten reinbursed for an auto rental after 5 business days of not having car. Really concerned about safety and everyone is fortunate no fatalities yet due to a defective 9 speed transmission design. My car was fine until they did a software update to deal with transmission complains. Really supprised usa government has not recalled the transmission or allow family car owners like myself who thought this Jeep was safe with good gas milage to exchange cars or sell back. Have to wait and see if new transmission works or simply replacing one poorly designed part with hanother. Actually liked the car, just now concerned with my family safety.

- Santurce, PR, USA

Aug 232015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated and the engine continued running as the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road, where it was turned off and restarted in order to reset the system which resumed normal operation. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 15V461000 (equipment). The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Aug 242015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that a very strong odor of mold emitted out of the air vents which increased when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Aug 132015

Cherokee

With our 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4cyl. We were close to a horrible collision. We were merging onto a major highway when the SUV lost power when accelerating and the transmission disengaged. We were nearly sideswiped by a semi!!!!! when giving the SUV gas, it downshifted to accelerate and then all of a sudden disengaged and the SUV felt like it halted forward slowing down to 15mph. It seemed as if the engine and transmission were not communicating correctly. If the gas pedal was softly pressed the SUV would accelerate, however, if the gas pedal was pressed down further, the transmission was just gone! this continued to happen until the car was power cycled off. This is a major safety concern. Brought it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I am so scared to drive this SUV now. Please investigate and have a safety update soon!!!!

- South Bend, IN, USA

Aug 132015

Cherokee

Vehicle was being operated on a straight and level road at 45 mph when the dashboard electrical and radio system went dark, and there was a loss of power steering at the same time. In about two seconds, the vehicle restarted without any movement by the driver. She had both hands on the wheel so that she could control the vehicle due to the loss of the power steering. When the vehicle restarted on its own, the normal housekeeping functions occurred on the dash, the radio came back on, and power steering came back. Two lights illuminated on the dash that were not normal. One was the check engine light that came on continuous, and the squigily traction light came on until she was able to pull into a parking lot where she stopped the vehicle and shut the engine off. When she restarted the vehicle, the traction light did not come back on, however the check engine light did come back on in a continuous mode. Vehicle is currently at charlie's Dodge/Jeep dealership in maumee, oh being diagnosed.

- Curtice , OH, USA

Aug 072015

Cherokee

In the wake of receiving my car back after transmission replacement (due to the car shutting down while driving), I turned it on the other day and all the lights on the gear shifter console lite up and stayed lite. I brought my car into Jeep and was told that it was throwing a code, some kind of lost connection error but they have no idea why or how to fix it because it isnt doing it any more. This is the second time in 2 months that my car has been in the shop to fix an issue which Jeep claims is an oddity to my vehicle and not a known issue.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 062015

Cherokee

On 2 occasions, -June and August 2015, parked vehicle on first floor of an entertainment complex and found engine running upon return (first time it ran for 4 hours/ second time for 2 hours unattended).

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 012014

Cherokee

I purchased my brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee with 30 miles. After about 1500 miles it began shifting very hard in low gears jerking, it red lines extremely hard to where it will jolt the Jeep and when I come to a stop it would begin raise rpms and accelerate. It would scare me senseless. I took it to the dealership they said that's how it performs and made me leave. 400 miles later the transmission completely blew out going 50 in la traffic. It was on back order for a month. Since then I have taken it in 8 times for the same problem a few times they have updated the tcm now they are saying there is no codes and they cannot duplicate it, even though it does it every single time. The Jeep will not know what gear to shift and leave me stranded in intersections before it shifts and peels out. When I break it'll pick up speed it is extremely unsafe and unreliable. Jeep has no fix for it and will not buy it back nor compensate me in anyway this isn't right and they should be forced to buy these be back. Last weekend I took it on a trip going downhill at 60 mph 2000 RPM I tapped the break and the Jeep revved to 5000 rpms also my horn is he hardest horn to push ever it does not work. The service department said its a little harder than normal but they cannot replace it since it doesn't give a code.everyone and their mother is concerned and complains about this issue. One day this thing is going to get me in a wreck. I paid good money for this vehicle I just want something safe and reliable for my family. I wish Jeep Chrysler however it is would just do the right thing.

- San Diego , CA, USA

May 032014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving uphill at 55 mph and towing an rv, the temperature gauge on the instrument panel increased to the hot level. The contact stated that the temperature started to go down after reaching the peak of the hill. The contact stated that the failure recurs every time the vehicle was driven up an incline. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Rocksborough, CO, USA

Jul 172015

Cherokee

After receiving a recall notice, we had the transmission serviced at nw hills Jeep in torrington, ct. On May 11. 2015. Friday, July 17 I was driving at about 25 miles an hour. With no notice, the car stopped dead in the road and put itself into park. I could not start or move the car in any way, the mechanic who towed it had to go under the gear lever and over ride the park button. I was on a quiet country road. If I had been merging onto a highway, it could have resulted in a fatal accident. At 25 mph, I had absolutely no control over the vehicle.

- Lakeville, CT, USA

Jun 012015

Cherokee

I was driving with my family in the car and while I was driving the vehicle suddenly stalled and then shut down. I immediately turned on my hazards and feared for my family's safety because I was on the highway. The vehicle would not start again. After trying for 10 minutes the vehicle started again and I was able to get safely off the highway. I immediately brought the vehicle in to the nearby dealership and was told there was no engine light and no information in the database stating something was wrong. They gave me the okay to drive the car. Then it happened again, this time I was right in the middle of an intersection when the car just completely stalled and shut down. It took 15 minutes to start back up again this time. Knowing the dealership wouldn't believe me. I had someone film it happening again while driving in the safety of a quiet lot. Reading about all the other instances in which this has happened to other owners has me very worried about my family's safety in this car. I have no desire to drive this car again even if they tell me it is completely fixed because they clearly have no idea why this is happening or how to permanently fix this. I'm astounded there hasn't been a recall yet. This is clearly a very serious accident waiting to happen.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Feb 052015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at any speed, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,881.

- Clinton, NY, USA

Nov 012013

Cherokee

The vehicle lunges after you stop as if it is down shifting. Sometimes it bangs and jumps suddenly when taking off from a stop. The transmission seems to have not down shifted and is in too high a gear causing the engine to pause before suddenly downshifting and suddenly accelerating which sometimes it to abrupt and you have to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting traffic. We have had several reprograms of the transmission without any resolution. The last caused the car to suddenly lunge and jump out into traffic while sitting at a stop with the brake on and no gas applied. We could have caused an accident... the motor has started leaking oil from the oil filter and cooler assembly on top of the 3.2 liter V6. It appears it has a bad gasket or seal or it may be cracked. I see several other owners complaining of this be cause you can smell burning oil, we removed the top engine cowl and carry a fire extinguisher just in case it catches fire. It appears that you could easily lose most of the oil and seize the motor not to mention catch on fire. The rear hatch camera and controls malfunction in wet weather. The camera turns to snow or moving objects appear frame by frame and not in real time. The controls fail to allow gate operation. I contacted Jeep today and am taking it in for the oil issue and will try to get them to fix the transmission and rear gate issues. This is a danger to drive when it can launch into traffic or leak oil causing a fire or short out the gate from an electrical fire. Jeep needs to get these issues addressed.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jun 112015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, there was a sudden increase in engine rpms; however, the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal and the vehicle began to drive normally. The failure recurred on several occasions. While reversing out of the driveway, the vehicle came to an abrupt stop and the parking brake warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,600.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Dec 202013

Cherokee

I was driving my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel at about 60 mph on an expressway when the check engine light came on. Within seconds the car started to slow down and would not accelerate past 30 mph. The authorized Jeep dealer told me that the car was not regenerating automatically thereby causing these issues. They offered me a free software upgrade to resolve the problem. A year later and the car has been to the dealer 14 times for the same issue. One upgrade after another yet the car will still have the same problems. You never know when this car will become limp. I have almost gotten into several accidents because of being on a highway and going 30 mph because the car will not regenerate automatically. Jeep has not been able to find a solution to the regeneration issues.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 192014

Cherokee

On 12/19/14 while driving, my veh stalled without warning. There was no warning lights illuminated before, during/after its failure. I had to have the car towed. After inspection, I was told that the engine of my new Jeep was burning oil. The Jeep recently had been in for an oil change & rtd with the multi point inspection paperwork indicating everything was ok. Herb chambers, although diagnosising the Jeep to be "burning oil" insisted, at the direction of Chrysler protocol, that I drive it 5,000 miles and return it for further inspect. Only after my husband got involved did they keep the car, drive it, and eventually install a new engine. On 5/6/2015 the Jeep lost power descending a hill. The check transmission light illuminated. The vehicle was returned home & driven to herb chamber. After inspt the Jeep now needed a new transmission. According to Jeep, the transmission has an internal leak. Again, 3 wks earlier, the car was at the dealership for tire rotation and oil change. The mulit point inspection, indicated all fluids, incd the trans fluid was ok. While the Jeep was being fixed, I also expressed concern over rubbing noise when turning. New bushings were placed into the Jeep. We have sent emails & made phone calls to Chrysler and have not heard back. We are driving a new veh that has proven unsafe and unreliable w/O any remedy from the mfgr. I would like other Jeep owners to be aware of the reoccurring probs with this Jeep. I believe the release of the Jeep was delayed due to transmission problems & that possibly is/was a recall (of which we were never notified). I also believe the axel/bushings is a recall (again one we were never notified of) nor would it have been repaired if we did not request it be checked. Chrysler has not made any effort to remedy this situation. On all occassions, we the consumer, had to reach out to them.

- Spencer, MA, USA