Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Dec 012014

I purchased my brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee with 30 miles. After about 1500 miles it began shifting very hard in low gears jerking, it red lines extremely hard to where it will jolt the Jeep and when I come to a stop it would begin raise rpms and accelerate. It would scare me senseless. I took it to the dealership they said that's how it performs and made me leave. 400 miles later the transmission completely blew out going 50 in la traffic. It was on back order for a month. Since then I have taken it in 8 times for the same problem a few times they have updated the tcm now they are saying there is no codes and they cannot duplicate it, even though it does it every single time. The Jeep will not know what gear to shift and leave me stranded in intersections before it shifts and peels out. When I break it'll pick up speed it is extremely unsafe and unreliable. Jeep has no fix for it and will not buy it back nor compensate me in anyway this isn't right and they should be forced to buy these be back. Last weekend I took it on a trip going downhill at 60 mph 2000 RPM I tapped the break and the Jeep revved to 5000 rpms also my horn is he hardest horn to push ever it does not work. The service department said its a little harder than normal but they cannot replace it since it doesn't give a code.everyone and their mother is concerned and complains about this issue. One day this thing is going to get me in a wreck. I paid good money for this vehicle I just want something safe and reliable for my family. I wish Jeep Chrysler however it is would just do the right thing.

- San Diego , CA, USA

May 032014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving uphill at 55 mph and towing an rv, the temperature gauge on the instrument panel increased to the hot level. The contact stated that the temperature started to go down after reaching the peak of the hill. The contact stated that the failure recurs every time the vehicle was driven up an incline. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Rocksborough, CO, USA

Jul 172015

After receiving a recall notice, we had the transmission serviced at nw hills Jeep in torrington, ct. On May 11. 2015. Friday, July 17 I was driving at about 25 miles an hour. With no notice, the car stopped dead in the road and put itself into park. I could not start or move the car in any way, the mechanic who towed it had to go under the gear lever and over ride the park button. I was on a quiet country road. If I had been merging onto a highway, it could have resulted in a fatal accident. At 25 mph, I had absolutely no control over the vehicle.

- Lakeville, CT, USA

Jun 012015

I was driving with my family in the car and while I was driving the vehicle suddenly stalled and then shut down. I immediately turned on my hazards and feared for my family's safety because I was on the highway. The vehicle would not start again. After trying for 10 minutes the vehicle started again and I was able to get safely off the highway. I immediately brought the vehicle in to the nearby dealership and was told there was no engine light and no information in the database stating something was wrong. They gave me the okay to drive the car. Then it happened again, this time I was right in the middle of an intersection when the car just completely stalled and shut down. It took 15 minutes to start back up again this time. Knowing the dealership wouldn't believe me. I had someone film it happening again while driving in the safety of a quiet lot. Reading about all the other instances in which this has happened to other owners has me very worried about my family's safety in this car. I have no desire to drive this car again even if they tell me it is completely fixed because they clearly have no idea why this is happening or how to permanently fix this. I'm astounded there hasn't been a recall yet. This is clearly a very serious accident waiting to happen.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Feb 052015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at any speed, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,881.

- Clinton, NY, USA

Nov 012013

The vehicle lunges after you stop as if it is down shifting. Sometimes it bangs and jumps suddenly when taking off from a stop. The transmission seems to have not down shifted and is in too high a gear causing the engine to pause before suddenly downshifting and suddenly accelerating which sometimes it to abrupt and you have to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting traffic. We have had several reprograms of the transmission without any resolution. The last caused the car to suddenly lunge and jump out into traffic while sitting at a stop with the brake on and no gas applied. We could have caused an accident... the motor has started leaking oil from the oil filter and cooler assembly on top of the 3.2 liter V6. It appears it has a bad gasket or seal or it may be cracked. I see several other owners complaining of this be cause you can smell burning oil, we removed the top engine cowl and carry a fire extinguisher just in case it catches fire. It appears that you could easily lose most of the oil and seize the motor not to mention catch on fire. The rear hatch camera and controls malfunction in wet weather. The camera turns to snow or moving objects appear frame by frame and not in real time. The controls fail to allow gate operation. I contacted Jeep today and am taking it in for the oil issue and will try to get them to fix the transmission and rear gate issues. This is a danger to drive when it can launch into traffic or leak oil causing a fire or short out the gate from an electrical fire. Jeep needs to get these issues addressed.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jun 112015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, there was a sudden increase in engine rpms; however, the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal and the vehicle began to drive normally. The failure recurred on several occasions. While reversing out of the driveway, the vehicle came to an abrupt stop and the parking brake warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,600.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Dec 202013

I was driving my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel at about 60 mph on an expressway when the check engine light came on. Within seconds the car started to slow down and would not accelerate past 30 mph. The authorized Jeep dealer told me that the car was not regenerating automatically thereby causing these issues. They offered me a free software upgrade to resolve the problem. A year later and the car has been to the dealer 14 times for the same issue. One upgrade after another yet the car will still have the same problems. You never know when this car will become limp. I have almost gotten into several accidents because of being on a highway and going 30 mph because the car will not regenerate automatically. Jeep has not been able to find a solution to the regeneration issues.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 192014

On 12/19/14 while driving, my veh stalled without warning. There was no warning lights illuminated before, during/after its failure. I had to have the car towed. After inspection, I was told that the engine of my new Jeep was burning oil. The Jeep recently had been in for an oil change & rtd with the multi point inspection paperwork indicating everything was ok. Herb chambers, although diagnosising the Jeep to be "burning oil" insisted, at the direction of Chrysler protocol, that I drive it 5,000 miles and return it for further inspect. Only after my husband got involved did they keep the car, drive it, and eventually install a new engine. On 5/6/2015 the Jeep lost power descending a hill. The check transmission light illuminated. The vehicle was returned home & driven to herb chamber. After inspt the Jeep now needed a new transmission. According to Jeep, the transmission has an internal leak. Again, 3 wks earlier, the car was at the dealership for tire rotation and oil change. The mulit point inspection, indicated all fluids, incd the trans fluid was ok. While the Jeep was being fixed, I also expressed concern over rubbing noise when turning. New bushings were placed into the Jeep. We have sent emails & made phone calls to Chrysler and have not heard back. We are driving a new veh that has proven unsafe and unreliable w/O any remedy from the mfgr. I would like other Jeep owners to be aware of the reoccurring probs with this Jeep. I believe the release of the Jeep was delayed due to transmission problems & that possibly is/was a recall (of which we were never notified). I also believe the axel/bushings is a recall (again one we were never notified of) nor would it have been repaired if we did not request it be checked. Chrysler has not made any effort to remedy this situation. On all occassions, we the consumer, had to reach out to them.

- Spencer, MA, USA

Jun 122015

Cherokee 4-cyl

2015 Jeep Cherokee - transmission issues. Started with a jump and crashing sound on acceleration from stop, then started slipping and non engagement during driving. I took it in and had 3 system updates done, and 2 weeks later (June 12th, 2015) I was driving in rush hour traffic and the transmission stopped all together, not responsive, engine check light went on, and the system computer said service transmission. I was almost killed on the highway because the car just stopped....updated 07/30/15 updated 9/24/15

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 092015

I was driving home on the freeway going about 50mph and all of a sudden I got a series of messages: "service transmission" "service parking brake" "4WD not available".put gear into drive" I was on a ramp merging to another freeway with very little room on the side I shifted the car from drive to park, dash message said to shift back into park, and then into drive. When I shifted back into drive, the transmission made a very loud bang (like somebody hit the bottom of the vehicle with a mallet) the engine indicator was flashing and the error messages were coming up on the screen. This is not the first time I had this issue. Last time I had to shut the Jeep off and wait about 30min for the computer to reset before I could start it and shift into gear. Last time the dealer replaced the transmission valve but obviously did not fix the issue. I am concerned that this can happen anywhere at anytime.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 032015

2014 Jeep Cherokee.on thruway passed tractor trailer and moved into right lane digital reads 0. message display something about not being able to shift while in motion. Shifter 'd" still lit red. Pulled over to a stop. Had to shut off and restart. June 2 on thruway in left lane. Digital reads 0. same message as above plus '4WD is unavailable' shifter 'd" is still lit and 4WD is in "auto". just 2 hours ago pulling into my driveway. Digital reads 0. same two messages. Now shifter "D" is flashing 4WD lit in "auto". first 2 times they tell me they can't find problem. No codes they say and can't duplicate when they drive it around the block.can't wait to hear what they say tomorrow. Car has needed 5/6 updates since I brought it home March of the updates was after the first incident. Something called a 'snap ring'.I just had it in for oil change a month before.I also had an oils change a month before the second incident. They said no updates that day but it needed 4 when I brought it in after last weeks incident.all 3 times the electrical was still on.nice to know I can die in a firey crash but still listen to tunes. I hope you can help. What an I supposed to do?

- Clinton, NY, USA

Jul 312014

The transmission will not downshift from third gear unless the vehicle comes to a complete stop. When trying to accelerate into traffic during city driving this is very dangerous because the vehicle is unresponsive and will not accelerate. Also the vehicle continues to have harsh shifts from first to second gear and from second to third gear even after all recalls have been performed.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 112014

I have had numerous problems (5 total) with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited hard shifting into lower gears. The vehicle jerks and bucks randomly and has nearly caused me to have numerous accidents. The vehicle features the zf-designed nine-speed automatic transmission that has known issues with rough shifting. The recall update was performed in early may yet the problem persists. The vehicle randomly pulls forward, normally in stop and go traffic, and is completely unpredictable. Chrysler has a total of 5 work orders in their system and is asking me for a 6th time to bring the car in for repairs. Each "repair" trip results in a software update to the transmission that ban aids the problem for about a week and then we are right back to square one. I'm very frustrated and am requesting that the vehicle be bought back by Chrysler and I be reimbursed for all car payments made in the last year. The vehicle falls under Maryland lemon law requirements in that, it has less than 18K miles and is under 24 months old and was purchased new. I am requesting to open a case with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to assist me with this issue. I have an open case number with Chrysler of 26719430. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jan 142015

On 3 occasions now, my Jeep Cherokee has shut down/stalled as I was driving. It happened as I was accelerating between 50 and 55 mph. All the gages dropped and everything shut down. It lasted for about 5 seconds only and then everything came back up. On these occasions, I started to try to pull over to the side of the road, but did not have to. I've seen similar posts. I have the vehicle scheduled for work next week, but the dealership seems disinterested already. I have 3 other complaints on the vehicle as well. Three other issues: 1. the vehicle shifts hard between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. It is sporadic and doesn't always happen. 2. a rear shock has lost all of it's fluid. I've seen posts about this problem. 3. the airbag recall. So disappointing.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Feb 122014

Sudden lunges from unexpected downshifts, a lack of kickdown upon attempted accelleration, front-axle vibration (shaking) in low speed in low gears and complete failure to shift into 9th gear. The dealer finally got it to shift into 9th gear at 92mph but it still did not stay in gear. It also has a habit of holding in 7th gear at speeds up to 80mph in level travel on the Florida turnpike and other high speed level roadways in central Florida. The lunges and vibration are an especially nerve wracking daily experience in stop and go traffic.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Nov 032014

2014 Jeep Cherokee Wrangler 2.4L 4WD. Vehicle shuts down completely during driving operation. This has happened off and on since last fall (2014). Happens multiple times during commute, including when engine is first warming up and when vehicle has travelled for some distance. Some days it does not occur at all. Engine temperature seems to have no relation to incidents. Speed has no relation as it has occurred at 5mph up to 65mph. Ambient temperature has no relationship as the temp has varied from 0 to 80 degrees F. took to Chrysler dealership shop on 12/30/14 - Chrysler dealership shop did not find cause but did update BCM based on tsb. Problem continues to occur. 5/20/15 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee back in shop for same issue.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jan 052015

My brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee is unsafe to drive. The engine/transmission began shutting off while shifting into lower gears, leaving my car disabled while in motion. After the car would come to a complete stop, it takes multiple attempts to turn the car back on. Moreover, the car will suddenly jerk/lunge forward while slowing down with the break. So far, this car has been into kendall Jeep in miami four times to fix the problem. First time, I was told computers were down and to come back. Second time, I was told the problem was software related. They updated my software and told me I should be good to go. As I was literally pulling out of the lot, the car stalled again. Third time, Jeep salesman brings me my car after it has been in the shop. He told me to leave the car as he felt the problems I was having. With no rental car, I had to take the car home. Very next morning, car stalled while driving again. I brought it back for a fourth time. This time a rental care was finally provided. They check the problem, and could find none. However, I have been video documenting all stalls and problems. The problem is real and the videos show this. Picked up car today, stalled again at the end of the day. Again, on video. Called Jeep to complain. Customer service told me Jeep will be in contact. Continually refused to provide me with an address to send my lemon law notification. Jeep has acted as an obstacle to consumers rights. In sum, the car is unsafe to drive. It stalls while driving. Jeep is not helping.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 202015

February 20, 2015 7:02am rush hour traffic in Norfolk, va. Coming out of the eastbound downtown tunnel entrance ramp onto 464 (interstate) to chesapeake, va, the vehicle revved high in red area about 3 to 5 seconds and would not accelerate. Coasted over to the shoulder, placed vehicle in park but vehicle rolled down the ramp. Set emergency break at this time. Dealer had it until February 24, 2015 and installed some software updates and stated that this would correct the issue. This was the fist time this occurred. It occurred again on March 6, 2015 rush hour traffic at 5:04pm on ramp entrance to the interstate 464 same issue occurred where the vehicle would not accelerate and was taken to the dealer. I receive it back from the dealer on March 24, 2015. During this time there were more software updates and the star had the transmission replace and was informed that there would be no other problems. May 1, 2015 at 5:09pm rush hour traffic on 264 (interstate) in a construction area with no access to a shoulder to get out of traffic and going up hill, the engine stops accelerating and slows to approximately 15mph in traffic that is moving 65 to 70 mph. Taken to dealer where star had the mechanics look over ever piece of the vehicle, download the computer and send the data to star. It was decided to change the drive train control module. It was returned to me on Friday, May 8, 2015 and is now downshifting at approximately 2mph hard into first gear, causing a jerk. This is three times in a ten week time period. I currently have a lemon law case with the Chrysler group. I have been told that a positive resolution will be determined by Friday, May 15, 2015. I no longer feel, comfortable or confident in this vehicles reliability or do I feel at all safe in this vehicle. It has put me in harms way three times in ten weeks.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Feb 142015

Cherokee 4-cyl

I was driving and all of a sudden the vehicle engine turned off. Thank goodness there was no traffic as I was only blocks from the Jeep dealer. I waited approximately 30 seconds and pushed the start button and luckily the vehicle started but would only putt putt to the dealer. The dealer had difficulty getting the vehicle to the work station. When they called me to tell me they fixed it they told me the reason it stop was because it was 2 quarts low of oil and that was the cause. This was very strange as I reminded them to look at my service record at which I had the oil service recently done at their facility. They did not know how to respond. Subsequent I contacted Jeep headquarters (resolution dept.) and explained what happened and they asked me to take the vehicle to another Jeep dealer for evaluation, which I have done. The other problem I have had is shifting (the vehicle jumps when shifting), they have semi corrected that by putting parts into the transmission, except the 2nd gear still jumps a bit. Another problem I had, was my wife and I were exiting the vehicle with the engine turned "off" and the vehicle started on its own. I was told by the 2nd dealer there is no indication while searching with the diagnostics as to why the engine shut off while driving. I can live with the shifting but not getting explanations as to why the engine died (as they called it on the service slip, "died in flight") my wife is afraid to drive the vehicle for fear it will shut down on the freeway or any street for that matter could be extremely serious. Obviously they have tried to evaluate why or what the problem is or was, but being given an explanation because it was low on oil is not comforting or not finding any codes to indicate a problem, when in fact they had done an oil change to the vehicle is a concern?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA