CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Jun 122015

Cherokee 4-cyl

2015 Jeep Cherokee - transmission issues. Started with a jump and crashing sound on acceleration from stop, then started slipping and non engagement during driving. I took it in and had 3 system updates done, and 2 weeks later (June 12th, 2015) I was driving in rush hour traffic and the transmission stopped all together, not responsive, engine check light went on, and the system computer said service transmission. I was almost killed on the highway because the car just stopped....updated 07/30/15 updated 9/24/15

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 092015

Cherokee

I was driving home on the freeway going about 50mph and all of a sudden I got a series of messages: "service transmission" "service parking brake" "4WD not available".put gear into drive" I was on a ramp merging to another freeway with very little room on the side I shifted the car from drive to park, dash message said to shift back into park, and then into drive. When I shifted back into drive, the transmission made a very loud bang (like somebody hit the bottom of the vehicle with a mallet) the engine indicator was flashing and the error messages were coming up on the screen. This is not the first time I had this issue. Last time I had to shut the Jeep off and wait about 30min for the computer to reset before I could start it and shift into gear. Last time the dealer replaced the transmission valve but obviously did not fix the issue. I am concerned that this can happen anywhere at anytime.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 032015

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee.on thruway passed tractor trailer and moved into right lane digital reads 0. message display something about not being able to shift while in motion. Shifter 'd" still lit red. Pulled over to a stop. Had to shut off and restart. June 2 on thruway in left lane. Digital reads 0. same message as above plus '4WD is unavailable' shifter 'd" is still lit and 4WD is in "auto". just 2 hours ago pulling into my driveway. Digital reads 0. same two messages. Now shifter "D" is flashing 4WD lit in "auto". first 2 times they tell me they can't find problem. No codes they say and can't duplicate when they drive it around the block.can't wait to hear what they say tomorrow. Car has needed 5/6 updates since I brought it home March 2014.one of the updates was after the first incident. Something called a 'snap ring'.I just had it in for oil change a month before.I also had an oils change a month before the second incident. They said no updates that day but it needed 4 when I brought it in after last weeks incident.all 3 times the electrical was still on.nice to know I can die in a firey crash but still listen to tunes. I hope you can help. What an I supposed to do?

- Clinton, NY, USA

Jul 312014

Cherokee

The transmission will not downshift from third gear unless the vehicle comes to a complete stop. When trying to accelerate into traffic during city driving this is very dangerous because the vehicle is unresponsive and will not accelerate. Also the vehicle continues to have harsh shifts from first to second gear and from second to third gear even after all recalls have been performed.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Aug 112014

Cherokee

I have had numerous problems (5 total) with my 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited hard shifting into lower gears. The vehicle jerks and bucks randomly and has nearly caused me to have numerous accidents. The vehicle features the zf-designed nine-speed automatic transmission that has known issues with rough shifting. The recall update was performed in early may yet the problem persists. The vehicle randomly pulls forward, normally in stop and go traffic, and is completely unpredictable. Chrysler has a total of 5 work orders in their system and is asking me for a 6th time to bring the car in for repairs. Each "repair" trip results in a software update to the transmission that ban aids the problem for about a week and then we are right back to square one. I'm very frustrated and am requesting that the vehicle be bought back by Chrysler and I be reimbursed for all car payments made in the last year. The vehicle falls under Maryland lemon law requirements in that, it has less than 18K miles and is under 24 months old and was purchased new. I am requesting to open a case with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to assist me with this issue. I have an open case number with Chrysler of 26719430. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jan 142015

Cherokee

On 3 occasions now, my Jeep Cherokee has shut down/stalled as I was driving. It happened as I was accelerating between 50 and 55 mph. All the gages dropped and everything shut down. It lasted for about 5 seconds only and then everything came back up. On these occasions, I started to try to pull over to the side of the road, but did not have to. I've seen similar posts. I have the vehicle scheduled for work next week, but the dealership seems disinterested already. I have 3 other complaints on the vehicle as well. Three other issues: 1. the vehicle shifts hard between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. It is sporadic and doesn't always happen. 2. a rear shock has lost all of it's fluid. I've seen posts about this problem. 3. the airbag recall. So disappointing.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Feb 122014

Cherokee

Sudden lunges from unexpected downshifts, a lack of kickdown upon attempted accelleration, front-axle vibration (shaking) in low speed in low gears and complete failure to shift into 9th gear. The dealer finally got it to shift into 9th gear at 92mph but it still did not stay in gear. It also has a habit of holding in 7th gear at speeds up to 80mph in level travel on the Florida turnpike and other high speed level roadways in central Florida. The lunges and vibration are an especially nerve wracking daily experience in stop and go traffic.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Nov 032014

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee Wrangler 2.4L 4WD. Vehicle shuts down completely during driving operation. This has happened off and on since last fall (2014). Happens multiple times during commute, including when engine is first warming up and when vehicle has travelled for some distance. Some days it does not occur at all. Engine temperature seems to have no relation to incidents. Speed has no relation as it has occurred at 5mph up to 65mph. Ambient temperature has no relationship as the temp has varied from 0 to 80 degrees F. took to Chrysler dealership shop on 12/30/14 - Chrysler dealership shop did not find cause but did update BCM based on tsb. Problem continues to occur. 5/20/15 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee back in shop for same issue.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jan 052015

Cherokee

My brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee is unsafe to drive. The engine/transmission began shutting off while shifting into lower gears, leaving my car disabled while in motion. After the car would come to a complete stop, it takes multiple attempts to turn the car back on. Moreover, the car will suddenly jerk/lunge forward while slowing down with the break. So far, this car has been into kendall Jeep in miami four times to fix the problem. First time, I was told computers were down and to come back. Second time, I was told the problem was software related. They updated my software and told me I should be good to go. As I was literally pulling out of the lot, the car stalled again. Third time, Jeep salesman brings me my car after it has been in the shop. He told me to leave the car as he felt the problems I was having. With no rental car, I had to take the car home. Very next morning, car stalled while driving again. I brought it back for a fourth time. This time a rental care was finally provided. They check the problem, and could find none. However, I have been video documenting all stalls and problems. The problem is real and the videos show this. Picked up car today, stalled again at the end of the day. Again, on video. Called Jeep to complain. Customer service told me Jeep will be in contact. Continually refused to provide me with an address to send my lemon law notification. Jeep has acted as an obstacle to consumers rights. In sum, the car is unsafe to drive. It stalls while driving. Jeep is not helping.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 202015

Cherokee

February 20, 2015 7:02am rush hour traffic in Norfolk, va. Coming out of the eastbound downtown tunnel entrance ramp onto 464 (interstate) to chesapeake, va, the vehicle revved high in red area about 3 to 5 seconds and would not accelerate. Coasted over to the shoulder, placed vehicle in park but vehicle rolled down the ramp. Set emergency break at this time. Dealer had it until February 24, 2015 and installed some software updates and stated that this would correct the issue. This was the fist time this occurred. It occurred again on March 6, 2015 rush hour traffic at 5:04pm on ramp entrance to the interstate 464 same issue occurred where the vehicle would not accelerate and was taken to the dealer. I receive it back from the dealer on March 24, 2015. During this time there were more software updates and the star had the transmission replace and was informed that there would be no other problems. May 1, 2015 at 5:09pm rush hour traffic on 264 (interstate) in a construction area with no access to a shoulder to get out of traffic and going up hill, the engine stops accelerating and slows to approximately 15mph in traffic that is moving 65 to 70 mph. Taken to dealer where star had the mechanics look over ever piece of the vehicle, download the computer and send the data to star. It was decided to change the drive train control module. It was returned to me on Friday, May 8, 2015 and is now downshifting at approximately 2mph hard into first gear, causing a jerk. This is three times in a ten week time period. I currently have a lemon law case with the Chrysler group. I have been told that a positive resolution will be determined by Friday, May 15, 2015. I no longer feel, comfortable or confident in this vehicles reliability or do I feel at all safe in this vehicle. It has put me in harms way three times in ten weeks.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Feb 142015

Cherokee 4-cyl

I was driving and all of a sudden the vehicle engine turned off. Thank goodness there was no traffic as I was only blocks from the Jeep dealer. I waited approximately 30 seconds and pushed the start button and luckily the vehicle started but would only putt putt to the dealer. The dealer had difficulty getting the vehicle to the work station. When they called me to tell me they fixed it they told me the reason it stop was because it was 2 quarts low of oil and that was the cause. This was very strange as I reminded them to look at my service record at which I had the oil service recently done at their facility. They did not know how to respond. Subsequent I contacted Jeep headquarters (resolution dept.) and explained what happened and they asked me to take the vehicle to another Jeep dealer for evaluation, which I have done. The other problem I have had is shifting (the vehicle jumps when shifting), they have semi corrected that by putting parts into the transmission, except the 2nd gear still jumps a bit. Another problem I had, was my wife and I were exiting the vehicle with the engine turned "off" and the vehicle started on its own. I was told by the 2nd dealer there is no indication while searching with the diagnostics as to why the engine shut off while driving. I can live with the shifting but not getting explanations as to why the engine died (as they called it on the service slip, "died in flight") my wife is afraid to drive the vehicle for fear it will shut down on the freeway or any street for that matter could be extremely serious. Obviously they have tried to evaluate why or what the problem is or was, but being given an explanation because it was low on oil is not comforting or not finding any codes to indicate a problem, when in fact they had done an oil change to the vehicle is a concern?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 102015

Cherokee

Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited 4by4 has stalled multiple times while driving it. This car is 13 months old and we had to take it in to our dealer for the same time several times. The engine keeps stalling on us while we are driving. In December 2014 it stalled while driving on a highway at a speed of 65mph. All the dashboard lights came on and the car simply didn"T want to drive. This was extremely scary for us while travelling on a highway with high speeds. The car dropped in mph while on the highway, when I pulled over and turned on/off to reset it, it didn?T work. The dealer ran tests and they couldn?T come up with a problem. Again this happened to my husband in April while he was driving, again the car stalled, my husband took it to the dealer and again they checked the engine, electronics and couldn?T address the issue, said everthing was ok. Over the course of the last 13 months it would stall mid drive but we would quickly rest the vehicle and we would still drive it, should have complained about this problem sooner because now it just got a lot worse. Today, while driving 20 mph, I couldn?T complete a turn, my Jeep stalled, mph dropped to 0 without me putting it in park and still trying to accelerate. Finally, I put the car in park to turn it off, couldn?T turn it off for about 3 minutes. Finally I turned it off still in park, restarted but the car still didn?T wan to drive even after I put it in drive. It even rolled back a little. Very scary since I was with my young child and in a residential area. I totally lost control over the car. The cars electronics are completely broken, in addition to faulty engine it seems? this a 35K car that doesn?T work, , very unreliable and the dealer can?T determine or address this issue. Someone really needs look into this". this car is not safe to drive. Please help!

- Darien, IL, USA

May 062015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have received a safety recall but my dealer does not have the parts and cannot fix the problem. Previous recalls have also gone unfixed because the dealer does not have the parts.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 132015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Brentwood , CA, USA

Mar 292015

Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee sport, car shut off while driving. Pulled over to side of road, attempt restart, car started on 2nd attempt. Transmission on vehicle, shifts poorly rpms, stick on acceleration and when attempting to merge into traffic, car downshifts. Could cause accident by someone running into car.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Mar 282015

Cherokee 4-cyl

Driving 80mph on highway when computer shut down, lost power steering, lost response from throttle, RPM went to 0, mph went to 0. note on dash computer said to shift into desired gear when the car was already in drive. No check engine light came on.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Nov 212014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the diagnostic results were unknown. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Mar 282015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On my way to work on March 16th when my service park brake message came across my screen along with my check engine light and park brake light. About 10 seconds later the service transmission message was displayed. I had no power when I pressed on the gas. I was lucky enough to be in a residential area still and coasted into someone's driveway. I put it in park. When I put it in reverse it shifted hard with a loud thud. It literally sounded like the engine dropped out of the Jeep. I still didn't have any gas power so I put it back into park with another hard shift and loud thud. I turned the Jeep off and back on. I had gas power and it no longer shifted hard but my engine light was still on. Took it in for service the next day. Of course they couldn't duplicate the condition with several test drives so they chalked it up to a software update recall "occupant restraint control module". fast forward 11 days later, the exact same thing happens. Lost power in gas pedal, service park brake message across screen, changes to service transmission, the engine light, parking brake light and now the traction light all on. When I put it in park then reverse extremely loud and hard thud. Then another message came across the screen, shift to P then desired gear. Put it back into park with a loud, hard thud. Turned off Jeep then back on. Got power back in gas pedal and was able to get it home. Taking it in first thing Monday morning (3/30) for the exact same issue as almost 2 weeks ago. After reading all the complaints on this site and others, it doesn't sound too promising. I bought this Jeep brand new in Nov 2013. And this will be the 4th time its been in for service. The previous two were for a crack in the transmission case causing it to leak transmission fluid (3/3/14) and for a faulty internal controller in my shifter (5/16/14).

- Maryville, MO, USA

Mar 012015

Cherokee 4-cyl

My family and I were at an intersection going South making a right turn onto a big street. As my husband accelerated, the car would not respond, it would not move, it jolted very strong but would not accelerate. There was a message flashing on the console something like shift to P then to D, and the check engine light, the (P)! light and brake light turned on. As we were stuck in the intersection my husband turned the car off and turned it back on but it would not accelerate, he put it in reverse and was able to move the car very slowly out of the intersection. Is was a Sunday morning, we had to wait over an hour to have Jeep roadside send a tow truck. The car was at a dealer for 2 weeks, transmission was replaced. Just got it back but it still jerks when shifting gears and slow to respond when you are at a stop and accelerate. I don't feel safe in the car as its unpredictable, you don't know when the transmission will give out. This was the second time this happened to us. The first was about 7 months after we bought the car, and the second time was about 2 and half months after the first time.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Mar 212015

Cherokee

After a complete stop at a stop sign, "service transmission" message appeared on the speedometer, check engine light turned on, car was beeping all over the place, and could not accelerate after stepping on the gas pedal 3 times. I had to turn off the car and restart the car on the spot. After restarting the car, engine light stayed on and I was able to drive home. Prior to this incident the check engine light has been on and off for about a few months since I purchased the vehicle on November of 2013. Seems like other Jeep Cherokee owners are also experiencing similar problems if not more serious and fatal. Several complaints found on this forum (www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2014/Jeep/Cherokee/power+train) regarding the issue reported that their vehicles lost power on the highway. Other even had trouble with their gears. Also the car would accelerate a little more even the driver had let go of the gas. This is definitely a serious problem and needs to be addressed and investigated immediately before someone gets hurt or even killed.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA