Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

May 102015

Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited 4by4 has stalled multiple times while driving it. This car is 13 months old and we had to take it in to our dealer for the same time several times. The engine keeps stalling on us while we are driving. In December 2014 it stalled while driving on a highway at a speed of 65mph. All the dashboard lights came on and the car simply didn"T want to drive. This was extremely scary for us while travelling on a highway with high speeds. The car dropped in mph while on the highway, when I pulled over and turned on/off to reset it, it didn?T work. The dealer ran tests and they couldn?T come up with a problem. Again this happened to my husband in April while he was driving, again the car stalled, my husband took it to the dealer and again they checked the engine, electronics and couldn?T address the issue, said everthing was ok. Over the course of the last 13 months it would stall mid drive but we would quickly rest the vehicle and we would still drive it, should have complained about this problem sooner because now it just got a lot worse. Today, while driving 20 mph, I couldn?T complete a turn, my Jeep stalled, mph dropped to 0 without me putting it in park and still trying to accelerate. Finally, I put the car in park to turn it off, couldn?T turn it off for about 3 minutes. Finally I turned it off still in park, restarted but the car still didn?T wan to drive even after I put it in drive. It even rolled back a little. Very scary since I was with my young child and in a residential area. I totally lost control over the car. The cars electronics are completely broken, in addition to faulty engine it seems? this a 35K car that doesn?T work, , very unreliable and the dealer can?T determine or address this issue. Someone really needs look into this". this car is not safe to drive. Please help!

- Darien, IL, USA

May 062015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I have received a safety recall but my dealer does not have the parts and cannot fix the problem. Previous recalls have also gone unfixed because the dealer does not have the parts.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 132015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Brentwood , CA, USA

Mar 292015

Jeep Cherokee sport, car shut off while driving. Pulled over to side of road, attempt restart, car started on 2nd attempt. Transmission on vehicle, shifts poorly rpms, stick on acceleration and when attempting to merge into traffic, car downshifts. Could cause accident by someone running into car.

- Long Beach , CA, USA

Mar 282015

Cherokee 4-cyl

Driving 80mph on highway when computer shut down, lost power steering, lost response from throttle, RPM went to 0, mph went to 0. note on dash computer said to shift into desired gear when the car was already in drive. No check engine light came on.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Nov 212014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the diagnostic results were unknown. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Mar 282015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On my way to work on March 16th when my service park brake message came across my screen along with my check engine light and park brake light. About 10 seconds later the service transmission message was displayed. I had no power when I pressed on the gas. I was lucky enough to be in a residential area still and coasted into someone's driveway. I put it in park. When I put it in reverse it shifted hard with a loud thud. It literally sounded like the engine dropped out of the Jeep. I still didn't have any gas power so I put it back into park with another hard shift and loud thud. I turned the Jeep off and back on. I had gas power and it no longer shifted hard but my engine light was still on. Took it in for service the next day. Of course they couldn't duplicate the condition with several test drives so they chalked it up to a software update recall "occupant restraint control module". fast forward 11 days later, the exact same thing happens. Lost power in gas pedal, service park brake message across screen, changes to service transmission, the engine light, parking brake light and now the traction light all on. When I put it in park then reverse extremely loud and hard thud. Then another message came across the screen, shift to P then desired gear. Put it back into park with a loud, hard thud. Turned off Jeep then back on. Got power back in gas pedal and was able to get it home. Taking it in first thing Monday morning (3/30) for the exact same issue as almost 2 weeks ago. After reading all the complaints on this site and others, it doesn't sound too promising. I bought this Jeep brand new in Nov 2013. And this will be the 4th time its been in for service. The previous two were for a crack in the transmission case causing it to leak transmission fluid (3/3/14) and for a faulty internal controller in my shifter (5/16/14).

- Maryville, MO, USA

Mar 012015

Cherokee 4-cyl

My family and I were at an intersection going South making a right turn onto a big street. As my husband accelerated, the car would not respond, it would not move, it jolted very strong but would not accelerate. There was a message flashing on the console something like shift to P then to D, and the check engine light, the (P)! light and brake light turned on. As we were stuck in the intersection my husband turned the car off and turned it back on but it would not accelerate, he put it in reverse and was able to move the car very slowly out of the intersection. Is was a Sunday morning, we had to wait over an hour to have Jeep roadside send a tow truck. The car was at a dealer for 2 weeks, transmission was replaced. Just got it back but it still jerks when shifting gears and slow to respond when you are at a stop and accelerate. I don't feel safe in the car as its unpredictable, you don't know when the transmission will give out. This was the second time this happened to us. The first was about 7 months after we bought the car, and the second time was about 2 and half months after the first time.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Mar 212015

After a complete stop at a stop sign, "service transmission" message appeared on the speedometer, check engine light turned on, car was beeping all over the place, and could not accelerate after stepping on the gas pedal 3 times. I had to turn off the car and restart the car on the spot. After restarting the car, engine light stayed on and I was able to drive home. Prior to this incident the check engine light has been on and off for about a few months since I purchased the vehicle on November of 2013. Seems like other Jeep Cherokee owners are also experiencing similar problems if not more serious and fatal. Several complaints found on this forum ( regarding the issue reported that their vehicles lost power on the highway. Other even had trouble with their gears. Also the car would accelerate a little more even the driver had let go of the gas. This is definitely a serious problem and needs to be addressed and investigated immediately before someone gets hurt or even killed.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Mar 032015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While vehicle is in drive, the transmission will not engage or will lose significant power, especially on an upslope. In order to get the car into gear, you need to gun the engine, causing a jerking of the vehicle. In order to get up a hill, you must speed (breaking the law) so that the engine has enough to get the transmission in the proper gear. The cause is due to a software update by the dealer that apparently cannot be rectified, and the safety of the vehicle is seriously in question by the drivers of this vehicle.

- Orinda , CA, USA

Mar 112015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle has been giving lots of trouble since I purchased it. It decides to shutdown by itself when it wants to. It has put me in several scary situations. Uselly I am on the hwy in the left lane and it decides to shut down. Giving me only about 45 seconds to get over. The emergency brake warning lights along with traction, battery, transmission, engine the car doesn't know what to do. It has been back to the dealer for 3 computer addition..... the second to the last time they put in a brake switch. Now they have my car. Putting in some kind of tcm box. The car also hesitates. Blinker goes on by itself decides to accelerate on its own etc. I do not believe my car will be fixed. It has been happening since early December I have a lemon. It is a very dangerous car. I have made a total of 5 payments on this car.

- Heath , MA, USA

Mar 082015

Problem: Driving down I79 clunk sound "D" on shifter starts blinking service transmission message appears service parking brake appears mil check engine light comes on ESC indicator light comes on *pulled off to the side of the interstate turned car off, then back on repeated 4 times drove to a safe location called roadside assistance had car towed to dealership this is the second time this car has had a transmission failure on the interstate at 70 mph. I am now scared of this car. This is unacceptable and disappointing for a new $34,000 vehicle with 15,601 miles on it. First time this happened and was serious enough to complain about was Dec. 14, 2014.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Nov 062014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Car makes a whistling very loud whistling noise upon startup and continues for up to 5 minutes, evening last while driving. I have taken the car to the dealership 3 times for this issue, was told the first times that it was the bearings? (they were replaced). Noise still occurring, took it back to the dealership and they replaced the pulleys, noise still heard. Next, I was told the water pump was causing the noise, it was replaced but noise still occurring. Now, I am told the noise is coming from the alternator and they will replace that part. I am concerned about the true source of the noise and whether or not it will have a major affect on the engine later on.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Feb 152015

I was driving on the freeway when the car started decelerating rapidly, the "park" icon came on and the message center said "unable to shift gears while in park, check transmission" and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate. Thankfully, I was able to pull over to the shoulder but the car would not shift gears. I turned the car off and immediately turned it back on and the car was still unable to shift gears, I could feel the car trying to shift gears but couldn't. engine light and unable to shift gears/check transmission message still appearing. I turned off the car a second time and waited a minute or two and turned the car back on. At that point, I was able to shift gears and accelerate again, however, the "check engine" light would not go off.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Feb 062015

Cherokee 4-cyl

When shifting from park to reverse or drive, the vehicle will occasionally not shift into gear, even though the display and shift control indicates that the car is in reverse or drive. When this happens, when I release the brake and apply the gas, the car does not move. This happens about once every 10-15 times the car is shifted from park. The most serious incident happened when I was parked uphill. I shifted the car into drive, but when I pushed the accelerator pedal the car did not move forward but instead started rolling backward. I had to move the shifter into park, and again into drive before the gear would engage. Additionally, there have been times that the car will not accelerate after being stopped at an intersection. When I apply the gas, the car will hesitate for 1-2 seconds before engaging and moving forward. I am concerned that these issues will end up placing myself or my occupants in danger if an emergency situation arises while on the road, or if the transmission fails completely and I roll back into another car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 112014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated as the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was no repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,400.

- Ward Cove, AK, USA

Dec 222014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle the instrument panel starting running a check system cycle, ie. Transmission service needed, anti-lock brake need service, battery needed to be checked, mil was on, etc. (I have video of one occurrence) and I was no longer able to accelerate the car even though the engine was still running. The electronic parking brake was engaged and I could not disengage it. After the car slowed down I turned the engine off and on several times until I was able to accelerate the car. The mil was now on steadily. This has happened 4 times now.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Feb 122015

Just entering the highway doing the speed limit of 70 mph with my newborn child all of a sudden my car suddenly stalled / shook/ and halted while trying to find a safe place to pull over on the higher way. The service transmission light came on. This is a huge safety concern that I had to somehow find a way to pull over on the side of a major highway with an infant in the car while my car was stalling out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 072014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated on October 7, 2014 as she pulled out onto the highway, the vehicle stalled. She managed to drift to the side of the road. She let the vehicle sit for a minute and then re-started it. She bean to drive and the vehicle began to buck and lost power. She pulled over for a second time and let it sit for a minute, attempted to re-start it which was successful, but she couldn't go over 25 mph. She drove to the dealer. The dealer kept the vehicle for a week. A diagnostic test revealed a problem with the transmission. One month later, as she was pulling out onto the main road, the vehicle lost power again. She managed to get the vehicle to the dealer. A diagnostics test revealed the vehicle shut off, due to low oil. The consumer claimed the vehicle wasn't scheduled for an oil changed for another 1,000 miles. The dealer advised the consumer to bring the vehicle back within 3,000 to see if the vehicle was burning oil.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Dec 232014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

My wife was on her way to work for the last day before christmas and got 2 blocks from the house before calling for help. The vehicle lost power and luckily she was able to get off of the road. It was rainy both the day before and that morning also. She said there was a message that came up saying shift into park and start the car. She couldn't get it to start again. I met her and after trying, got the car going but noticed that I didn't feel any response or hear any engine revving when pushing the gas pedal down. It also seemed to start fairly rough. She took my vehicle to work. I checked the vehicle later and it started ok. The battery voltage was the normal 12.6V and 14.7V when running. At first I thought it was a fluke. The next day as the vehicle wouldn't start. We decided to wait until fri morning with christmas being thurs. The vehicle did start before the flatbed towed it off to the dealer. The dealer had the vehicle all day and was about ready for me to pick it up when they noticed a loss in pressure at the fuel pump and decided to replace it. After we got the vehicle back it ran ok for a few days but then on 1/3/2015 it cut out again about two blocks from our house in the other direction.. it was again rainy outside. She again saw the same message. I met her and got it started again but also again noticed no reaction to stepping on the gas pedal. When I shifted it into reverse it then seemed to react to giving it gas fine and drove home ok. We took it to church and around town the next day and it seemed fairly normal. Having gone through rough shifting problems with this vehicle early and two transmission problems with Chrysler Grand Voyager and then this Jeep and the articles on this site that seem to be pointing to Jeep transmissions I think Chrysler better come up with the right fix very soon before someone gets killed.

- Middletown, MD, USA