CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 22 of 30)

Oct 092013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled then all of the warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in and repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 08V203000 (power train). The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,007 and the current mileage was 102,000. Updated 07/16/14

- Hingham, MA, USA

Mar 242014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact also mentioned that the electrical components intermittently failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Covina, CA, USA

Mar 162014

Commander 8-cyl

We started the vehicle and as we started to accelerate the lights in the dashboard and stereo started to flicker and as we went down the road for about 2 minutes it kept doing it not sure if the main front lights turned off also because it was daytime but now I'm scared of driving my vehicle at night time.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 112014

Commander 8-cyl

While driving the Commander at various speeds everything suddenly turns off. Acceleration is immediately decreased and all dashboard functions are gone. I have to shift to neutral and re-start the engine, all while still driving. This is very dangerous. I have had this car for 2 months.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Apr 152013

Commander 8-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander from city auto in memphis, tn on 9/14/11 and was told it was a one-owner vehicle originating from the state of Pennsylvania. I noticed hesitation in the transmission and variances (rough - up and down) in the idling shortly after my purchase. I then started to get the "transmission/engine" light coming on. But it would go away almost as quick as it would come on. I then had my engine stall while driving full speed on the interstate. I lost all power! fortunately, I was able to get over to the shoulder safely! we immediately started doing some research on various forums, including Jeep forum, on the "stalling issue" and "lights coming on intermittently". my husband took it to our local autozone and they hooked it up to their coding scanner machine. It gave us the code to change the map sensor needed to be changed. My husband changed this out last summer (2013). It helped for a little bit. :( then began having the same issues, stalling out while driving, check engine light coming on/off and rough idling. Husband went back and had them hook up to coding machine and this time was given the code for O2 sensor, which he purchased and changed out. Now it's worse than ever! it won't even stay idled. It stalls almost immediately! I have to keep my foot on the gas (and brake when needed) all the time! if I let it go below 1000rpms it dies! we took it to a mechanic & was told the PCM was bad. But he told us that there were recalls that may fix the issue. So we took it to a dealership who performed the recall but unfortunately it did not fix the problems. This is a very expensive "fix" to a problem that appears to have never have been resolved properly by the manufacturer!! this needs to be addressed by the manufacturer as it is a major driving & safety hazard!

- Marion, AR, USA

Mar 042014

Commander 8-cyl

Bought car used at a dealership, but was not told of recalls or issues. Car stalled on me twice, once in traffic approaching a light and another in a parking lot turning left to weave out of lot. The 4 wheel low was recalled and checked, but problem persist. The engine hesitates while driving, little stumbles and shakes while accelerating. While in park, weird sound is heard from light rev. I have had car for less than 3 days and problems occurred. I have a 2 ton paper weight at the moment as I feel it is unsafe to drive. I now have a decent size transmission leak after I park from short drives. I have but maybe 250 miles on it. I have heard of the 4.7 having some of these issues and a recall has been done, but not for the 5.7L hemi's. I have read numerous complaints on similar issues of exact engine model of Commander, but recalls for it aren't available and only such for the 4.7L version.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 132014

Commander

The transfer case motor/actuator will not shift after dealer performed N23 recall on the final drive controller.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Feb 222012

Commander

There is a serious electrical problem with the SUV which started within. The dealers looked at it, I paid for computer diagnostics and still nothing. Besides all the lights flashing on and off, the speedometer fluctuating, actually all the instruments going on and off while I am driving; also, the temperature control panel does not light up when the headlights are on. I have never had an automobile with all these electrical problems that no one can fix. Please recall this vehicle before someone dies. I try not to drive long distances alone because of this problem.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Jan 092009

Commander

I wrote about this problem several times and realize others also have similar problems. When will Chrysler be forced to recall and fix the problem. Does someone have to die first for this to be considered serious? there is a serious electrical problem with the SUV which started within 3 yrs of having the truck. The dealers looked at it, I paid for computer diagnostics and still nothing. Besides all the lights flashing on and off, the speedometer fluctuating, actually all the instruments going on and off while I am driving; also, the temperature control panel does not light up when the headlights are on. I have never had an automobile with all these electrical problems that no one can fix. Please recall this vehicle before someone dies. I try not to drive long distances alone because of this problem.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Dec 232013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8 stalls when coming to a stop. Multiple instances (over 12) between the first occurrence approximately mid December 2013 and today 11 January 2014. All stalls happened when coming to a stop except for one instance when it stalled while in reverse. A drop in rmps and lighting/instrument failure accompanies the stall. Chrysler's recall N32 was completed October 2013. Vehicle has been owned since early 2011 with no stalling of this type having occurred prior to this. No instrument panel indication (e.g. check engine light) accompanies the stall. Vehicle restarted on all occasions after shifting to park or neutral.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Dec 312013

Commander 8-cyl

Chrysler released the N23 recall to update the final drive controller, this update has affected the transfer case motor function. My 2006 Commander has had a catastrophic failure and cannot be fixed. The Jeep dealer informed me that Chrysler has pulled all the replacement parts from the supply system (transfer case motor) and there is no timeline for availability. There is no substitute parts to fix, nor aftermarket option. My car is worthless now!

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

Dec 312013

Commander 8-cyl

All lights on the dash flip off and on in succession and the odometer and tachometer drop to 0 while maintaining speed. Highbeams and headlights also seem to be effected. Happened first on December 31 and has continued happening since this time at random times.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Oct 242013

Commander 8-cyl

Had recall N23 performed in October. During last snow storm went to use 4lo and got a "service 4wheel" and 4lo would not engage. After doing some research on Jeep forums found this to be a recurring problem with many folks who have this recall/re-flash done on the final drive.

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Nov 142012

Commander 8-cyl

The vehicle will suddenly lose power to the headlights, taillights, instrument panel, speedometer, odometer, and the interior some lights will turn themselves on without cause or warning. In the most recent event, vehicular damage and possible personal injury nearly occurred when driving in the dark, almost striking a utility pole. Also, the automatic window control will not function properly when trying to roll up the window itself. It will stop halfway and bring itself back down. It usually takes 3-4 times to roll the window up. This has occurred numerous times, so many that I can't keep track. The local dealership cannot pinpoint the issue and this vehicle is not safe to be on the road.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Dec 152013

Commander

Approximately 40 miles from home, on a day with the temperature well below zero degrees Fahrenheit, we rolled our front windows down to talk to our neighbors, who were shopping at the same mall as us. After visiting with them, our windows would not roll back up. Our family had to drive in freezing weather back home, on a Sunday, with the windows rolled down. On the way, by rapidly depressing the windows lock button, while my wife repeatedly pulled up on the front passenger window switch, we got her window to roll up. We never could get the drivers front window to roll up. I replaced the master switch assembly on the drivers door panel, but that did not help. The dealership told me that I probably have multiple broken wires in the wire bundle in the door hinge area. Jeep has not, to my knowledge, addressed this problem at all. The internet forums are chock-full of hundreds and hundreds of consumers that have had, and are having this same problem.

- Sturgis, SD, USA

Aug 012013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander electrical system recall 13V175000 NHTSA: Action number: N/a service bulletin number: 13V175000 I had my Commander taken to the local Jeep dealer to perform the recall. After the recall was performed my car would not shift into 4lo, and I got a service light. I returned my car to the dealer twice more to redo the recall. My 4lo would work for a few days then it would again not work and the service light would return. My dealer then ordered a transfer case shift actuator under warranty, and assured me this would fix the problem. After the actuator was installed, I had no problems for about 2 months. I really thought it was fixed for good. Then, the problem returned. I have since talked to others who have had this recall done, and they also complain about the loss of 4lo, and a service light afterward. These problems were non existent prior to the recall in most cases. I believe this recall should be looked at, and recalled again to fix this recall induced problem.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Dec 102011

Commander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated intermittently and the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis however, the technicians were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 022013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that after servicing the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train), the four wheel drive feature failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was advised that the transfer case motor actuator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 118,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

Mar 012013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transfer case motor actuator recall notice and seeks compensation for repairs. The consumer stated the service 4WD system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where they replaced the transfer case motor actuator at a cost of $ $708.95. The consumer received a recall notice, several months later and applied for compensation under the recall. However, Chrysler informed the consumer that a fix for the recall had not been found and he would received another recall notice when the decision was made on how to fix the problem. In September, the consumer received a second recall notice and contacted Chrysler about his compensation. He was assigned another case number and was informed the refund would be paid out in four weeks. In later October, he again contacted Chrysler about the status of his refund. He was informed, the claim was denied since it had nothing to do with the shifting into neutral addressed in the recall.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Oct 122013

Commander 8-cyl

In may, 2013 I received recall, N23. Soon after I had the recall applied. On the first attempt to use the 4 wheel drive feature it failed. I went to another dealer who disconnected the transfer case, checked the connections and voltages and found them ok. They reconnected the transfer case and reported it operational. A few weeks later, while traveling, I received another warning that the transfer case failed. I went to a local Jeep dealer who diagnosed the problem as needing an actuator. When I returned home I went to the dealer that applied the original recall which was a software update. After they cleared the error codes they said they found a broken connector on the actuator. I assume all the manual handling of the actuator probably caused the connector to brake. I was told that the actuator had to be replaced but was on backorder. I have paperwork that indicates that the original problem found was a cracked circuit board in the actuator. How can a software update fix a cracked circuit board" could that be why there are no new actuators available? were they pulled off the market" there are many Jeep owners that I am in contact with that are having the same problem as I am and are being told the same thing by Chrysler that I am: That the recall did not cause the damage to the actuator. Something needs to be done to resolve this problem. Someone outside of Chrysler and the owners needs to investigate to get to the bottom.

- Corning, NY, USA