CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 28 of 31)

Jul 032009

Commander

During regular drive of the car, I experienced major electrical shut down. It does not happen very often. I noticed that is happening in summer time more often than in winter time. I noticed it for a first time 2 years ago and reported to local service dealer. They told me to keep an eye on it and to tell them if I notice any trend. Except for summer/winter, I couldn't notice any other trend. Last summer it was happening quite often and after bringing it to the service, they couldn't find cause of the problem. I think they performed some recall firmware update (08V-203 I think) but I still have same electrical problem. I don't have engine stall however. Last night (July 3rd 2009) it happen to me for the first time during night and I just realized how serious safety issue it actually is. While driving home with my family, everything in the car (headlights, ac, stereo (except lcd display) all lights on the dashboard (except P R N D gear indication)) went off for a few seconds and came back on. It happened 15-20 times in 30 minutes time frame. At one point after ~10th interruption, check engine light came on (error code U1411). So, all lights disappeared while driving at night putting me and my family at risk of an serious accident. I don't have confidence in this car any more unless there is a permanent fix for this problem.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jun 102009

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact experienced a no start condition when attempting to start the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle stalls without warning. She is in the process of having the vehicle inspected to determine the cause of the failures. The failure and current mileages were 44,000. Updated 7/23/09 the consumer stated on several occasions when she applied the brake, the vehicle acted as though it didn't want to stop. Also there were times when the engine would not start and the lights would flicker on and off and all of the gauges would act erratic. The sunroof drain tube was blocked, which was causing water to enter the vehicle. Updated 07/30/09.

- Sharon, MA, USA

Jun 152009

Commander 8-cyl

Jeep Commander was turning into parking lot and had a slow speed stall. Vehicle started again with no problems. Vehicle has the 4.7L V8. Vehicle is now at dealers car care center for evaluation. Vehicle was repaired for same problem back in Jan of 2008. PCM (power control module) was reprogrammed at that time.

- Athens , GA, USA

Apr 272009

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact heard a loud noise when the brake pedal was depressed, followed by no response. The contact made several attempts before the vehicle came to a complete stop. Immediately, the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The speedometer and numerous instrument panel gauges stopped working. The vehicle stalled unexpectedly and the warning indicators remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and was able to resume normal operation. The contact took the vehicle to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing, but they could not duplicate the failures. They suggested that the ignition could be the cause of the failures. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and an independent mechanic for identical failures, but there were no resolutions. The failure mileage was 30,010 and current mileage was 92,000.

- Princeton, MN, USA

May 192009

Commander

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander. I purchased the vehicle new in January 2006. When I drive then engine will stall - usually when making a sharp right turn. Also, all of the lights will go off and then come back on in the area where the speedometer is. Being as this is electrical fault, I am afraid my car will catch on fire.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Apr 252009

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. In may of 2006, the contact began experiencing issues with the transmission and electrical system in his vehicle. The vehicle would not change gears and the instrument panel lights were constantly illuminated. He took the vehicle to the dealer three times and they reprogrammed the computer, which allowed the vehicle to perform normally for a while. On April 25, 2008, the vehicle shut off and remained locked in third gear while driving 10 mph. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to his residence. The dealer stated that there was no recall. Previously, the contact took the vehicle to a repair shop to be diagnosed and was informed that the control module failed; however, the dealer continues to state that there is no failure. The failure mileage was 18,166 and current mileage was 85,000.

- Peterman , AL, USA

Mar 252009

Commander

Bought vehicle 3/31/06 new now has 60,000 miles. The vehicle has had numerous instances with stalling while driving. All the instrument panel lights will light up and headlights will switch on/off to high beams on their own. Will lose powersteering and there seems to be a change in acceleration. On March 20th I was traveling at approx 30 miles per hour and lost power but the instrument panel lights did not go off as usual. I pulled off the road and parked vehicle. Had my step-father come to assist and he stated there car didn't seem to want to go gear properly, assumed this was due to the prior "electrical" problems and drove Commander to dealership approx. 1 mile away. Was told there was a plug in the transmission leaking where the electrical wires enter, cost to repair $430. After completing those repairs was told the transmission is destroyed and needs replaced at $3500. Chrysler is not offering any assistance to an obvious manufacturer issue. Stated I knowingly drove a vehicle with low transmission fluid and am negligent.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Mar 162009

Commander

The problem started today out of the blue on a cold wet day. I drove home from work at 7am in the rain and parked. At 2pm I tried to start the vehicle and it wouldn't start. It would just stall. After several attempts at starting it, it would just stall. Then it wouldn't start at all so I let it sit for a while. When I went to start it again, it would start but all the lights were flashing, the radio was going on and off, the windshield wipers would go and stop. I rented a code reader that read U1411, no connection to the problem so I cleared the code and it fixed the problem for about an hour. Now it doesn't fix it. Jeep says they don't know unless I take it in for a diagnostic. But I looked online and found lots and lots of Jeep owners having the exact same complaint. All of their complaints started the same way, in the rain and without warning and they were all fixed the same way, replacing the ignition switch. It appears to me that there is a problem but Jeep isn't addressing the problem. I don't think I should have to go pay them to diagnose and fix a problem that they already know about, but won't admit!

- Ellerbe, NC, USA

Nov 102006

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. When the contact attempted to start the vehicle, it began vibrating and making a loud grinding noise. The vehicle failed to start. Once it finally restarted, all of the electrical components failed. The vehicle accelerated automatically and crashed into a pole. The contact was uninjured. The vehicle was unable to be driven away from the scene and was towed to the dealer. The dealer stated that the entire computer system failed, including the clock, heating and cooling system, speedometer, and all other electrical components of the vehicle. On a separate occasion, the emissions warning indicator illuminated. The dealer stated that they did not know why the emissions indicator illuminated and they replaced the ignition switch. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 19,000 and current mileage was 27,500.

- Wadmalaw Island, SC, USA

Nov 212008

Commander

2006 Jeep Commander with 5.7L hemi stalls while driving at all levels of speed without warning. All power is lost, and I had two instances of this occur within one week while making a left turn. Three visits to the dealer via tow truck in two weeks and after I was told it was done yesterday, six miles into my ride home, it happened again. This is a life threatening situation. Build date is 5/06. All tsbs have been applied to no avail. Need help!!

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Dec 102007

Commander

December 2007 - my 06 Jeep Commander started with electrical issues. Everytime, I would hear a click, than all the lights in my dash go off, than back on.. since then it's done this several times, along with a small puddle of water in my right passenger side. I've brought the vehicle to the dealer and they've done everything but look or fix the problem. They've replace sinoids and shifters (all under warranty) but nothing having to do with the electrical. My vehicle has never stalled, but lately this electrical issue is happening more than ever. My dealer has told me they can't do anything more and to file lemon law ~ this was checked into but because I'm over my mileage I can't really do much. The worst part about this whole mess is I bought this vehicle to feel safe, and now I feel that this is the worst car on the road. Chrsyler should not be leaving there customers out to dry if this problem exists in so many of the same. Take some responsibility.. we gave you our money.. give us what we paid for!

- Plainville, CT, USA

Nov 152008

Commander

Reference complaints 10244597, 10247128. Today, driving in the rain, lights dimmed and car hesitated, eventually stalling while in motion. While we were at a stop, the car again stalled and took several tries to restart. I no longer drive with the children in the car, and have not since the previous incident at 61K. I have tried contacting Jeep through my dealer, with no response. Today I sent an email via their website, however, I am not hopeful of any response. This will be the final time I will file a complaint, as I have called the bank and told them to come and get the car. I can only hope that the person who considers purchasing my car, as I am sure another unscrupulous salesman will put the car up for sale, does his or her research and finds the complaints I have filed here and with the pa attorney general's office.

Sep 282008

Commander

Electrical-- started about 1 year ago with clock light dimming then flash back to normal. Now, loss of dash and headlights -flickers on and off several times, then will sometimes go out completely.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 272008

Commander

Additional problems reference ODI complaint #10244597. Received car back from dealership ran fine for two weeks. The car is now stalling on the highway at 40 mph near our home. Thank god I was able to get the car to the side of the road. Then the park assist service light came on and went off again. I got the car home. My husband took it out. The transmission was slipping and not shifting into higher gear. Today taking the kids to the bus it stalled again. When I was able to restart, I put my foot on the gas and the car hesitate, almost causing an accident. I have pretty much decided on voluntary repossession, as my kids are worth more than the deficient balance.

Jul 102008

Commander

Jan. 1., 07--replace windshield; at 20,853 mi. Rotors warped, needed to be resurfaced; 25,000 air only works on high and low--resistor motor ordered; 30,500, front and rear rotors warped, resurfaced; 32,000 car won't start--nothing found; 36,063, car started, then shut off and would not restart; security control module replaced; 39049, car would not start--towed to dealer replaced immobolizer control module; resistor blower motor finally replaced; resurfaced both front and rear rotors again; 48,010 car won't start; starter replaced starter; resistor blower motor again faulty, replaced motor, resistor and wiring; 50,831won't start again, towed to dealer, battery dead due to unfounded short, cause unknown, installed new battery; 58,0573 won't start, no crank, battery dead would not charge--suspected radio was the culprit replaced battery and radio; 61,5932 towed to dealer will not start battery voltage low checked all charging systems, replaced battery again; 61,700 car would not start--towed to dealer where it remains. I have a car that I owe 18K on that I cannot trade in because of this history it is only worth 8K. Throughout ownership I have had intermittent stalling, constant hesitation in acceleration. Additionally, the rear seat belt has let go and caused my son to hit his face on the back seat. Problems with seat belt latch sliding so that belt will not hook. Cannot see when backing up when my 5 kids are in the car. Tire pressure light comes on often, as does the air bag light. Exterior headlights are tilted so that they look like highbeams. This car is a danger.

Sep 262008

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 30 mph, the instrument panel warning indicators suddenly began flashing and then completely dimmed. Afterwards, the engine completely shut off as well. The weather conditions were not a factor. The contact stated that the vehicle restarted immediately. The engine light illuminated but then shut off once he arrived at the dealer. The dealer could not find any failures. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Atwater, OH, USA

Jul 272006

Commander

The vehicle dash shuts off while driving, the car feels like it is going to stall and stalls.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Aug 022008

Commander

My 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7L sometimes loses all the displays in the front panel dash board. Everything goes out. My A/C will not turn on. No radio, etc. This happens intermittently, like something is loose. It has never happened at night yet, so I am not sure if I also lose my headlights, but anything on the dashboard is off, no gas gauge, no speedometer, no temp gauge, etc. It has happened 5 times already. Is there a recall to 2006 Jeep Commanders that address this problem?

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Jul 222008

Commander

Our 06 Jeep Commander has been a nightmare since the day we purchased it used with 14K miles on it in 3/07. We continue to have problems with the dash lights coming on, stalling just today 7/22- the lights lit up and the air conditioner quit working!!! no fan no blower... nothing. It has been brought in for the recall for this but it keeps happening. Oh and did I mention that autopark Jeep in cary, nc sold me a lemon/buyback.... they gave me the carfax report after 30 visits to the service dept.... fool me once, fool me twice... I am hoping that Jeep will buy it back again for this complete lemon!! I know have 37K on it and the service dept was talking that they did not know if Jeep would cover the work.... they can keep it..

- Fuquay Varina , NC, USA

Jun 262008

Commander

This is an update of my previous post. My 2006 3.7 liter Commander 4X4 has been at the dealer since Monday the 7th. When I took it in it had been stalling now and then, the engine light was on and the display "service park assist" had came on the day before I took it in. On the way to the dealer, it shut down no breaks, steering, nothing. The dealer tested it and said it gave them a code U1400 which was the tcm module. They replaced it and told me to come and get it on June 9th. I picked it up and on the way home, going up a slight incline about a block fro the dealer, it shut down again, and started rolling backward down the hill, and all I could do was pull the emergency break and pray that it still worked, it did. After three tries, I got it started and took it back to the dealer, who put a computer on it as soon as I got there, they told me I would have to get a ride home, and the next day called and said it needed ECM module, they also told me that they contacted Chrysler and they had a 1000 piece backlog on them. I asked them what I should do for Transport, and they told me I should call Chrysler because the car was unsafe to drive. They also told me that there had been a major recall on the 2006 4.7 liter Commander for the same problem, but not the 3.7 models. The dealership has been great, but Chrysler has been unreal to deal with, they simply do not care about the customer, and have been no help. I called the dealer today to let them know that Chrysler told me the part would be ready for delivery on July 18th, but my guess is that if there's 1000 backordered, it will be some time before I will get mine. I guess we will see.

- Powell, TN, USA