CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 29 of 30)

Oct 102007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2006 Jeep Commander. It started stalling on me in Feb or 07. Since then it has stalled 20 times or more. It was at the dealers many of time with me in a rental car for periods of over 2 months at a time. They have yet to find out what the problem is with my Jeep. It was labeled a lemon by Chrysler but they wanted to charge me an outrageous amount for use on the car. I don't feel for safety reasons this car should even be on the road. I have told Chrysler if anything happens to me or my children in the car when it stalls they are 100% liable. This car is unsafe. It will stall just driving down the road. I have had my stall with no warning on are local hwy here I90. Very unsafe this auto is. I want my money back or a replacement with out all the penalties. This is just stupid I have been dealing with this since Feb 07 and I am tired of it. I bought the car to drive not have it in the shop be making the payments on it and when I do have it fear for my family's and my own safety in the car.

- Spokane , WA, USA

Oct 152007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My wife's Jeep completely shut down while going 45 miles an hour and she went off of the road. This happened less than a month after we took it to the Jeep dealership to have fixed. They said as im sure every one who has put in an apparent useless complaint that " no errors are coming up and there doesn't seem to be a problem. " what bothers me the most about this is that Jeep has not issued any statement after the countless complaints keep filing in. Just because no error message is coming up when it is plugged in doesn't mean these hundreds of Jeep Commander owners are lying about what is happening. I have another appointment tomorrow. This exercise is getting old. It should not have to take a death from some one driving these vehicles to have Chrysler do something about this. I have read many of these complaints that other concerned drivers have put in. Apparently this site doesn't get chrslers attention.

- Lowell , AR, USA

Sep 112007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While stopped at a stop light on 4 different occasions over a period of 2 weeks, the vehicle lost total electrical power and engine shut off by it self. The 2006 Jeep Commander restarted immediately after putting in park and turning ignition. The Jeep was brought into the Jeep service center on 9-11-2007. Service tech said that they had similar problem with another Jeep Commander in the service center and could not figure out the problem. Per the service tech no error messages were reported. They called Chrysler who told them to do a PCM reflash install per star. The car has stalled again since then.

- Lowell, AR, USA

Sep 092007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Since the beginning of ownership, this car has stalled many times (as well as other various and odd electrical problems.) many times I can turn the car off and on and it will restart. This does happen in parking lots and highway speeds as well. I have also lost power steering and brakes when in parking lots at a very slow acceleration speed. I have also had air bag warning lights go on and stay on then randomly shut off. The dealer has tried to help resolve but is limited by Chrysler's ability to recognize that there is a problem. If there is no code in the cars computer, there is no problem and can't be duplicated. If the problem can't be duplicated, there is no repair. But it keeps happening over and over. I have filed a complaint with Chrysler with no resolve. The dealership has had my car and drove it for 3 weeks to try to duplicate the problem. Since it is so random and they just didn't get enough time/miles in, the problem didn't happen. It stalled again about 3 weeks after that pulling out of my driveway. There has been no repair, because Chrysler says there is no problem. I have been in the middle of an intersection with a 15 year old on a permit driving with oncoming traffic. I have had this car since March 2006 and this has been occurring many times repeatedly since then. Not all have been documented and because it occasionally happens on weekends or holidays, I have no ability to get it in to a dealership. In order for them to be able to read a code, I would have to leave the car in a stalled position wherever it occurred and have it towed directly to the dealer. This is highly impractical and unsafe. Especially scary at high speeds on the highway. I do not want to be a casualty of Chrysler's failure to recognize that there are thousands of these vehicles out there doing this exact same thing. Do a "google" search see the #'s! something needs to be done!!!

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Oct 032007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander stalls and dies while driving and idling.

- Brier, WA, USA

Sep 252007

Commander 4WD 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with only 13,000 miles on it and it has stalled twice while driving. Dealership has seen it once and reloaded computer software to see if that fixes the problem. The second time occurred after that so it's being taken back to the dealership for review. I am nervous about the safety of my family/children.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Sep 172007

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

2006 3.7 V6 Jeep Commander continuously hesitates and / or stalls when coming to a stop and several times at highway speed.

- Arcade, NY, USA

Sep 132007

Commander 6-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander in Oct. 2005 from mccune Chrysler Jeep in national city, ca. Initially, I started noticing my brakes shimmying as I came to a stop. I reported to my dealership a few times but no good came out of it. Then, last Thursday, Sept. 13, I noticed my dashboard lights (electrical system, brakes and transmission lights) flashing on and off as I accelerated from a stop and headed uphill. It felt as though the Jeep wanted to stop and go at the same time. I reported it to my dealership and brought in the vehicle the next week. The dealership quoted me $190 to analyze it (since my Jeep was about 8,000 miles beyond the warranty period). Then, they told me that it would cost me over $400 to repair the vehicle even though they did not know what was wrong with it. I began to research the internet about recalls on this make and model and found that Chrysler had issued a recall on Friday, Sept. 14, 2007. I printed the article and brought it to my service rep at mccune. The rep insisted that it was not my problem and that his dealership had not heard of a recall on my make and model. So, I called Chrysler's customer service department in oak ridge, tn. The representatives there insisted that there was no recall. Frustrated, I accepted the dealerships offer to repair my vehicle. They quoted me a $100 deductible to place the vehicle under warranty. As I drove off, the same thing happened all over again. I called the service advisor and explained what had happened. He insisted that he test drove the vehicle and the lights never came on. I didn't believe him. I feel that he mislead me and that his dealership never repaired my vehicle. I will bring my vehicle back to mccune Monday morning (9/24/07) and I will see what will happen. I paid for a rental vehicle last week (over $100 and the dealership never offered to cover my expenses. I am so frustrated.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Sep 132006

Commander 6-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander in Oct. 2005. First, my brakes would shimmy when I came to a stop. Then, beginning Sept. 13, I noticed my dash board lights flashing on and off as I accelerated after a stop and drove uphill. Now, it doesn't matter if I am drivig the vehicle uphill or on level areas on the highways and freeways. It gets worse and worse everyday. On Monday, Sept. 17, I called tony mccune Chrysler Dodge Jeep and arranged for an appointment to bring my vehicle for a check up. The dealership wanted to charge me $190 to analyze it. Then, they called me in the afternoon and said it would cost me over $400 to repair the Jeep eventhough they still did not know what was wrong with my vehicle. Before I went in the next day, I surfed the internet and learned that Chrysler was recalling my model for the conditions I explained above (malfunction of the computer system, which affects the braking system). The dealership insisted that my Jeep was not part of the recall. Calling Chrysler in oak ridge, tn, I experienced the worst customer service from a representative who insisted there was no recall in place for my model. The dealership called me back and said that Chrysler would extend my warranty (since it had already expired) if I would pay $100 deductible. Ater I picked up my Jeep and drive off, I noticed the same thing happening as I drove onto the freeway. I called the dealership and explained the situation. The representative (bruce) insisted that the it should have been repaired. I don't believe the dealership ever repaired my Jeep. I am very concerned about the run-around I am receiving from Jeep, Chrysler and the local service reps. I am also gravely concerned for my family's safety in this vehicle.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 272007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. When the contact started the vehicle, the headlights and instrument panel gauges would not illuminate. He stated that the instrument panel gauges failed to work as well. When the steering wheel was turned in either direction without applying the brakes, the ABS would engage and the vehicle decelerated. The contact felt the pulsating vibration through the steering wheel and heard the ABS engage. The failure occurred while driving 25 mph and greater. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the failure, however, they reset the codes in the vehicle. Two weeks later, while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a different dealer and they replaced the remote start module. The contact also stated that the check engine and four wheel drive lights would often illuminate and dim automatically. The current and failure mileages were 20,000.

- Donnelsville, OH, USA

Sep 192007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep Commander stalls at slow speeds when coming to a stop. Started to pull into traffic and had no power. This could be a fatal problem if this happens in busy traffic. Please investigate this! I have heard and read story after story of this same problem happening to other Jeep Commander owners.

- Branson, MO, USA

Mar 012006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 25 mph uphill, the electronic stability warning indicator light illuminated. The vehicle decelerated and then regained speed when traveling downhill. There was not a loss of steering or brakes. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer. The VIN, engine size, and number of cylinders were unknown. The failure mileage was 50 and current mileage was 22,500. Updated 10/03/07

- Ottawa, IL, USA

Jun 012006

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and all of the instrument panel lights blinked on and off. She stated that there was no stability while driving. The vehicle swerved and then shut off when the brakes were applied. The electrical system shut down intermittently and the contact made several attempts to restart the vehicle. The failure occurs at various speeds. She has been to the dealer 8 times concerning the stalling. The contact stated that she was afraid to drive the vehicle because she fears she will crash. The powertrain was unknown. The current mileage was 32,500 and failure mileage was 12,000.

- Morgan City, LA, USA

Aug 282007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Car stalls on the highway. Have to rent a car until the dealership can figure out the problem. Was initially told that it was a powertrain issue and a new computer was put in but it still sits at the dealership because no one knows what is wrong with it.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Aug 032007

Commander 8-cyl

I have had numerous issues with my 2006 Jeep Commander stalling on me. I have had it serviced three times for the same issue and each time I am told that the problem can not be duplicated and no action was taken. Most recently the vehicle stalled on me in stop and go rush hour traffic on the freeway. I no longer feel safe driving this car.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Aug 052007

Commander 4WD

1) driving on the interstate with the cruise control on; brake was applied to disengage the cruise control. 2) headlights shut off, speedometer and tachometer and fuel gauge shut off; a moment after, the tires locked up and the vehicle spun 180 degrees, then collided with a guard rail and bounced off and returned to the interstate in oncoming traffic facing the wrong way 3) independent inspector was hired by Chrysler; the report found no mechanical defect nor did it find any computer codes that would indicate a malfunction; Chrysler denies there is a problem and recommended we contact our insurance company for repairs.

- Prairie Du Sac, WI, USA

Jul 272007

Commander 8-cyl

My wife was driving at approximately at 35 mph when she made a right hand turn into a parking lot and the vehicle completely died. All power steering and brakes were lost, which nearly caused her to wreck into an on coming car. The dealership replaced an ignition switch as the only probably cause, but can not guarantee that this will not occur again. Obviously this is not a fatality however this is something that could very easily lead to a serious accident.

- Dover, NH, USA

Jul 032007

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander. I was driving my 7 year old son to camp. I was driving about 45 mph on a 2 lane road. Suddenly and without any warning the engine, as well as all electrical items completely shut off. I also lost all assist functions. When I was applying the brakes I got the noise that usually you hear when the ABS system has taken control. After pulling to the side of the road I restarted the car and the engine warning light came on. After dropping my son off I attempted to restart the car. I had no instrument panel functions (gas gauge, water temp, odometer, etc.). I will be taking the car in to the dealership on 7/5/2007 for analysis.

- Rock Spring, GA, USA

May 152007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving under normal conditions the vehicle stalls.

- Alplaus, NY, USA

Jan 032007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

We own a 2006 Jeep Commander which was having electrical problems. All of the dashboard lights, air conditioning, interior, and exterior lighting flashed off and on like an electrical surge. This happened usually once a day. It has been to the local Jeep dealership four times for the same problem. They could not replicate the problem, so they stated that they could do nothing to repair it. This was a dangerous problem because it impaired one's driving ability. They will not write on the service report that we feel it is dangerous. They said that if we felt that way, then we shouldn't drive it. The first two times it was in for the electrical malfunction, they didn't write it up on the service reports because they couldn't replicate it. After the last trip to the repair shop (it is still sitting there) they told us that they will not accept it for service again for the same problem because then it would possibly fall under the lemon law. Upon research into the problem, we saw the number of other complaints and even the open engineering review required by the ODI. We spoke to a representative at daimler Chrysler who was going to put us in contact with a case manager. They need to repair the problem before something more serious happens. We have fortunately not been involved in an accident due to the malfunction, but others have. The field in the bottom portion of the report will only accept numbers, so I will write here that it is an ongoing problem, happening on almost a daily basis.

- San Marcos, CA, USA