NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2006 Jeep Commander (Page 30 of 31)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 30 of 31)

Jul 272007

Commander 8-cyl

My wife was driving at approximately at 35 mph when she made a right hand turn into a parking lot and the vehicle completely died. All power steering and brakes were lost, which nearly caused her to wreck into an on coming car. The dealership replaced an ignition switch as the only probably cause, but can not guarantee that this will not occur again. Obviously this is not a fatality however this is something that could very easily lead to a serious accident.

- Dover, NH, USA

Jul 032007

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander. I was driving my 7 year old son to camp. I was driving about 45 mph on a 2 lane road. Suddenly and without any warning the engine, as well as all electrical items completely shut off. I also lost all assist functions. When I was applying the brakes I got the noise that usually you hear when the ABS system has taken control. After pulling to the side of the road I restarted the car and the engine warning light came on. After dropping my son off I attempted to restart the car. I had no instrument panel functions (gas gauge, water temp, odometer, etc.). I will be taking the car in to the dealership on 7/5/2007 for analysis.

- Rock Spring, GA, USA

May 152007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving under normal conditions the vehicle stalls.

- Alplaus, NY, USA

Jan 032007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

We own a 2006 Jeep Commander which was having electrical problems. All of the dashboard lights, air conditioning, interior, and exterior lighting flashed off and on like an electrical surge. This happened usually once a day. It has been to the local Jeep dealership four times for the same problem. They could not replicate the problem, so they stated that they could do nothing to repair it. This was a dangerous problem because it impaired one's driving ability. They will not write on the service report that we feel it is dangerous. They said that if we felt that way, then we shouldn't drive it. The first two times it was in for the electrical malfunction, they didn't write it up on the service reports because they couldn't replicate it. After the last trip to the repair shop (it is still sitting there) they told us that they will not accept it for service again for the same problem because then it would possibly fall under the lemon law. Upon research into the problem, we saw the number of other complaints and even the open engineering review required by the ODI. We spoke to a representative at daimler Chrysler who was going to put us in contact with a case manager. They need to repair the problem before something more serious happens. We have fortunately not been involved in an accident due to the malfunction, but others have. The field in the bottom portion of the report will only accept numbers, so I will write here that it is an ongoing problem, happening on almost a daily basis.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Apr 012007

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

My wife was preparing to merge into traffic from a parking lot on a busy street in our hometown. In this particular parking lot there is a telephone pole near the egress portion of the parking lot. As she was pulling out the vehicle stalled, causing complete loss of control of steering and braking causing the vehicle to strike the telephone pole causing some damage to the Jeep. We purchased this vehicle because we felt it would be safe for our family of 5, myself, my wife and my three young girls under the age of 8. I have lost all confidence in the safety of this vehicle and I refuse to put my family in jeopardy with this vehicle, this vehicle has done this many times before and the dealer can not find a fix. I have contacted an attorney and he has taken my case as a lemon law claim will be filed. This vehicle has had numerous other problems since the week we brought it home. I have always owned Jeep, from CJ's to Cherokee and now the Commander, I have always been happy with the Jeep legacy but I have lost all faith in the new Jeep. Please help before someone gets killed in this Jeep.

- Fayetteville, WV, USA

Dec 312006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at 10, 25, and 70 mph the vehicle failed without warning. The contact stated that the steering wheel locked, the instrument panel lights dimmed, and the radio continued to operate. After each failure, the vehicle would operate normally. Currently, the failures were occurring more frequently and twice per week. The weather was not a factor. The current mileage is 27,800, and failure mileage was 21,000.

- Pinch, WV, USA

Sep 012006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

- the contact stated that the 2006 Jeep Commander stalled/lost power while driving at any speed. She stated that when this happened there was no indication that the vehicle was about to stall. She stated took the vehicle to the dealership, and was informed that they could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle has been to the dealership on three occasions. The contact stated that this vehicle currently had 8,400 miles, and it needed to be resolved. She filed a complaint with diamler /Chrysler. The failure mileage was 300.

- Saint James, NY, USA

Aug 182006

Commander 8-cyl

- the contact stated that the 2006 Jeep Commander ltd had problems with losing power while driving. The contact stated that while driving at any speed the vehicle lost power. She took the vehicle to the Jeep dealership on 08/17/06, and they replaced the idle control module. The contact stated that she hasn't had any problems with losing power until 3-9-07. She stated that when the vehicle lost power nothing happened to the instrument panel. The radio stayed on and nothing on the instrument panel showed that the vehicle shut down. The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer, and will submit the case number from Chrysler. The failure mileage was 1000 and the current mileage was 9800.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 072006

Commander

I purchased 2006 Jeep Commander Dec '06. Had continuous issues w/the performance -service dept can't fix the problem. Approx three months after purchase, I was pulling off from a parking space -car cut off completely. I assumed that I hit the gear or didn't have completely engaged. B/C a new car, I thought it was strange but not a real issue. In Aug '06, taking my car in for routine service, backing up in the dealership lot & the car cut off completely. Added the request to have the issue checked. I explained this wasn't the 1st time the car cut off and there must be a problem. Was told that nothing found. In Sept '06, I was driving to work in stop & go traffic - my car cut off completely. I was able to apply the hazard lights to warn other drivers. I was able to start the car and took it into the dealership for service. I explained that this was the 3rd time that the car completely shut off, and something needed to be done. I was told that they could not replicate the situation and was asked to pick up my car. I told the service advisor that I was not picking up my car until something was done. My car cuts off while driving! that is not safe. I can't wait until I am in a tragic accident to say see, it happened again. The service department reported that they contacted the star hotline and replaced the PCM and installed a control program. I have continued to experience stalling and hesitation while driving but the car has not completely shut off. I have no confidence in accelerating to merge into traffic, nor pass other vehicles. I feel totally vulnerable that the Commander will shut off while driving. During my last scheduled maintenance 1/31/07, I informed the service advisor that I am still experiencing hesitation/stalling. They did not find anything. I have been advised to set up a time to leave my vehicle for overnight road test.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 282007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep Commander 2006 4X4 (my wife jennifer ivester on 1.28.2007) in drive going down the street 25 mph, she has foot on accelerator and the vehicle dies. Full power and vehicle failure. Vehicle was stranded in intersection with cars coming toward vehicle. All the cars slam on breaks. While this is happening vehicle is placed in neutral and ignition turn back on. She quickly maneuvered across the intersection and avoided an accident. She contacted dealer and setup appointment to look at vehicle on 1.30.2007. Vehicle has 7K miles on it. My wife is certain that she didn't hit the ignition and cause the vehicle to loose power. I have investigated this occurrence on many Jeep Commander forums and this is happening to lots of folks. This incident should be investigated before something serious happens. Regards, rodney ivester.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 272007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

- the contact called regarding a 2006 Jeep Commander, while driving 35 mph the vehicle lost power without any warnings. The vehicle restarted easily. The contact took the vehicle to DaimlerChrysler dealer on 1/31/07 for a diagnosis. This will be the third stalling failure. The road conditions were wet once and dry on two occasions. The contact called daimler Chrysler dealer when the vehicle stalled before, and was told it may have been bad gasoline. During the second incident the power steering and power brakes failed. Updated 03/13/07.

- Jamison, PA, USA

Jan 082007

Commander 8-cyl

- the contact purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact's vehicle stalled on two occasions, the first while driving at 5 mph, and the second at 20 mph. The contact indicated the vehicle lost power while driving. At the time of the failure there were no warnings or indicator lightst. The contact was aware of several related complaints on the NHTSA website. The contact indicated the incidentwas erratic. The contact was very concerned about the safety risk involved, including the risk of a crash occurring without warning.

- Athens , GA, USA

Nov 182006

Commander 6-cyl

Brought car on 10/02/06.

- Bedford, NY, USA

Dec 112006

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 V8 stalled in traffic during normal usage. While slowing the Commander for a stop the engine cut out and all power equipment was disabled. Ie. power steering, power braking, etc... this happened twice and is very unsafe.

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Nov 022006

Commander 8-cyl

Engine stall for the second time in 2 months. Occurs when turning. Engine just quits but restarts upon re-ignition. First incident happened on a highway while maneuvering around a stalled vehicle. Scared me to my wits end as cars zipped by me. Second incident today was when turning to the street from parking. Luckily no traffic. Very dangerous. Planning to bring to dealer within the next couple of weeks. Jeepforum.com lists similar incidents.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Jul 132006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I have owned my Commander for 4 months and has stalled completely on 4 different occasions. It has stalled on me at speeds of 25-35, 10, 20, mph. I feel at danger while driving this car. I have taken it for service immediately after and they can not find the problem.

- Hillsdale, NJ, USA

Aug 142006

Commander 8-cyl

Was driving down the road going about 50 mph when the car just shut off!!!! took it in and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong we are taking it into the dealer tomorrow.

- Estacada, OR, USA

Sep 042006

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving the SUV just shut off. Not a stall but a complete electrical shutdown. All lights, gauges and engine shut off. This happened at approximately 35 mph on a long down grade. The car was brought to a stop in the roadway and upon placement into park, was able to be restarted. This situation nearly caused an accident as approaching cars saw no brake lights and the vehicle needed to come to a complete stop in the roadway to be restarted. Currently this vehicle is at the dealer and no problem can be found. It has been road tested over 75 miles without additional failure. Since this is the second electrical system issue with this vehicle, the safety of my family is a real concern.

- Stockholm, NJ, USA

Aug 142006

Commander

On three occasions (July 22, Aug. 2, August 14) my 2006 Jeep Commander has stalled while I was driving. These incidents all occurred while I was slowing to a stop. On two of the occasion I was slowing to a stop on an incline. When the incident occurs the power steering shuts off and the engine stops. The automobile restarts after the transmission is put in park. The dealer indicates that the on-board computer detects no failures and that they were unable to replicate the incident.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Aug 042006

Commander 6-cyl

On two separate occasions while sitting in traffic, my 2006 Jeep Commander has stalled. Just as I was about to accelerate from a stopped position, the engine sputtered and shut off. No warning signs proceeded the shut off and it immediately started up again. It was annoying to say the least considering it's a brand new vehicle, only 3500 miles on it. But if this happened while driving at high speeds it could obviously result in injury or death.

- Harrison, GA, USA