Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Feb 152013

Commander 8-cyl

Jeep Commander stalls at driving speeds in which has almost caused 3 vehicle accidents, bas esp and traction control light is on and malfunctioned, all wheel drive malfunction. Dealer claims internal fault in front control module.

- Clinton, IA, USA

May 182013

Commander 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway at 55mph. And out of nowhere the car RPM's dropped to 0 and the car died. As I pumped on the gas I looked in the rearview to make sure I was not going to get hit. After that I turned the car off in the middle of the highway and put on my hazards. It then turned on and after will go to 2 RPM's and then start to jerk back and forth. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times so far and as of now the 3rd time and 3rd with a rental it finally happened to the mechanic at the dealership. And he has no clue his words. So in a two week frame time I have only had my Jeep 4 days why because they cant even figure out the problem. I have reported it to Chrysler dealership and checked for a recall and they said there is no recall as of yet. I worry because this could cause a accident and typically I have my wife and two children in the Jeep with me. If U go to and look up. This model U will see there are up to 60 more incidents. But the dealership/Chrysler has yet to do anything. Hopefully it does not seriously harm the owner of the Jeep or a person who hits them.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

May 012012

My Jeep Commander 2006 shifts automatically to neutral while driving, you feel a strong pull and a loud sound coming from the engine, suddenly the car is in neutral and the gas pedal doesn't work even if pressing it. The check engine light turns on for 2 or 3 days. This problem can cause a fatal accident if this happens while driving at a higher speed, I'm scared to drive this car. I took this car to get the transmission fixed twice and I still have the same problem, it is clearly not a transmission problem now that I think about it. Also the dash lights and headlights start flashing while driving, including the ac it shuts off while lights are flashing. I called Chrysler to let them know about this problem and they said my car doesn't have a recall, I don't know what else to do, I've spent more than 5,000 dlls trying to fix something that cannot be fixed, I need help!

- Horizon City, TX, USA

May 132013

Commander 8-cyl

I was driving down the road and the engine just turned off, coasted to the side of the road and turned off the key and restarted engine, continuing down the road it happened again. It seems to have gone away and I made it home ok but my baby was in the car, what if I had been in a situation that prevented my safe pull over and we got into an accident.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Mar 272013

Commander 8-cyl

I bought this car from a used dealership I have only owned this vehicle for about 3 months. Have been having trouble for the last month and a half. And it all began on the interstate. I was traveling on the interstate doing about 75 and it just shut off in the middle of a cluster of cars and I had to go over 2 lanes to get to the shoulder. I lost steering and brakes within 10 seconds. One of the most scariest rides ever. I am now afraid to travel on the interstate with this vehicle. Since this has happened it has shut off an additional 5 times I took it to the dealership cause the engine light was on and they said it was a map sensor, I have replaced this twice already. Now it doesn't idle right and looses power in between 30 and 35 mph. And the engine light has once again came on. Haven't had it checked yet cause it is a Saturday night guess I will have to take it somewhere on Monday.

- Decatur, TN, USA

Apr 212013

My 2006 Commander stopped accelerating in fact it felt like I was driving against a wind blowing headon faster then I was driving, then the Jeep started jumping like a hick-up then my tail lights stopped working and lower dash lights went out and my warning lights in dash came on, the vehicle stalls out at idle or at start of acceleration not very good took to dealer was told I need a new front control module and new cooling fan, nwe speed relay costing $1063 im not to sure about it and they tell me that it has no recall ??

- Umatilla, OR, USA

Apr 242013

Commander 8-cyl

While driving down interstate, engine just stopped. Power brakes and steering stopped working also. Made it to shoulder of road and took several minutes to restart. Check engine light is on also. Previous day 4/23/13, the traction control light came on, but has since gone out.

- Livingston, LA, USA

Oct 282012

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and would not respond to acceleration attempts. The contact also stated that the check engine light illuminated. Additionally, while stopped, the vehicle erroneously surged forward. The failure occurred intermittently at different speeds. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 202013

The vehicle stalled while we were driving down the road. There wasn't any jerking feeling it simply shut off. We had started to slow for an upcoming traffic light. This is the second time this has happened. The first time we were backing up into the road and it stalled.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 112013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Commander 4X4 limited with the 4.7L engine. Vehicle has suddenly stalled 4 times while driving in the last 6-8 weeks. Vehicle stalled while backing out of parking space, driving 15-20 mph on a city street, while idling at a stop sign, and while accelerating from a stop light. These are the first occurrences in the 4 years we have owned the vehicle.

- Bolingbrook , IL, USA

Jan 112013

My Jeep stalled as I accellerated on the on ramp of a major interstate. I coasted to the shoulder and tried to restart and would not restart until I shut it completely off and restarted. It ran with the check engine light on and the cruise control inopertable. Idle was rough at low and higher RPM's. after about six restarts throughout the day the check engine light went out but the cruise control is still inopertable. One week later it stalled at idle during cold weather warm up with the same results following as before. The vehicle was purchased used from a dealer less than a week prior to the incident with 84,879 mi. A background check through autocheck was conducted prior to purchase with no major finding reported on this specific vehicle. From investigations through multible websites, this issue is common with this vehicle for several years. I have check the recall reports by VIN # and this vehicle does not fall in the production catagory of manufacture recall but has the exact same symtoms for a recall. This is a major safety concern if the vehicle stalls on a rural highway with no shoulder to safely pullover.

- Wooldridge, MO, USA

Apr 082012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving in inclement weather at approximately 35-45 mph, an elk crashed into the front end of the vehicle. The driver and passenger side air bags both failed to deploy. The passenger seated in the front seat sustained injuries to the back and head. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and back. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the elk did not impact the vehicle in the area of the air bag sensors therefore, the air bags did not deploy. The contact stated that the air bag was defective and that the air bag warning light was illuminated prior to the crashed. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed of the incident.. the vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was 114,000. Updated 12/12/12 updated 12/21/2012

- Tulare , CA, USA

Nov 122010

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated the vehicle had stalled 12 times without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would hesitate for a few minutes and then stall. No warning lamps illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle had been taken to the dealer several times, but the dealer was unable to determine what caused the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Folcroft , PA, USA

Oct 172012

Approx 2 miles from work - making a right hand turn at a light. Hazards on - taking precaution... car behind me. Once I make the turn my car completely shuts off again. No brakes not steering - nothing... my car just happened to coast to the right as it is.... car behind missed me by an inch of slamming into me. Waited a good 1/2 hour - my husband came and drove it the rest of the way to the work parking lot. I called Jeep in lugoff SC and like every other dealership out there - they have no memory of hearing of any 2006 - 2007 Jeep Commander problems. I have called chyrsler care 8009921997 - dealerships... they all make me out to be crazy. I am going to report them to the BBB as well. I have 3 children - 9,8, and 20 mths old. Chrysler must be waiting for someone to get killed.... I normally take the hwy to work - but today for some reason I decided to head to work on a back road..... I can not believe with all the issues and complaints I have read about this same problem - that it is even legal to sell this car used, ...

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Oct 172012

Just dropped my children off - on my way to work again - going approx 40-45 mph..... all of a sudden I feel a slight jerk and my car completely shuts off. (key still in on position-so no, my knee did not hit the keys) brakes - electrical - engine - all went out. I coasted to the side of the road. Waited about 10 mins after speaking with my husband - started it back up engine light was on.... I P laced my hazards on and proceeded to continue down the road - at this point I am approx 15-20 miles from work.

- Lugoff , SC, USA

Sep 202012

Driving to work at an intersection. In the midst of turning left on to the road to my work parking lot... my car stalled on me. Again, I was in an intersection with on coming traffic. No lights came on (warning lites) no weird sounds, no jerking - just stalled. Started back up once I turned the key off and then on again.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Apr 182007

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact pulled the vehicle over and attempted to restart it but was unable too. The contact waited for an hour and the vehicle resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 30,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Edinboro, PA, USA

Jul 092012

Started the car at the house and drove 1 mile to the gas station. Shut the car off to fill the tank. Tried to restart and it would not start until I pushed the gas in. When it started smoke poured out the back. Took it across the street to a mechanic and they said the engine was trashed. Had the car towed to the Jeep dealer where I bought it. They said the same thing that the motor was trashed. I paid the Dodge dealer to tear down the engine so I could know what happened. They informed me that the valve in the 4th cylinder had slipped down into the motor and destroyed the piston and cylinder wall. Have to have a new engine installed. The vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 hemi and only has 77,000 miles on it and from what I have researched and talking to mechanics this is a problem that should never happen. This part should not fail in this manor. Have gotten no response from Chrysler and am taking on the cost of the repair myself. If I was hard on the motor it would be one thing but it was only driven to work by my wife. We only put maybe 20,000 mile on it since we bought it. I am aware that this problem has occurred in other vehicles and who knows how many were repaired by Chrysler, under warranty. I will be into this vehicle about 40,000 dollars after the new engine is installed and I think Chrysler bares part of the blame and should be held accountable. Thank you for your time in considering this matter.

- Hamilton , OH, USA

Oct 012012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

On all 2006 and 2007 Jeep Commander's with 4.6 4.7 and hemi engines have an issue with exhaust manifold bolts breaking, requiring extensive repair, which can cost in the thousands. The internet is full of this issue and it is known with all dealers, but Chrysler themselves ignore it. If the issue isn't fixed because of the price the engine can have more issues due to the bolts. Please look into this issue since the company that makes the vehicle wont. Even on there own forum it states "Jeep Commander problem model years affected: 2006, 2007 engines affected: 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L V8 hemi average mileage: 79,474 mi (40,000 mi - 154,000 mi) verified 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 engines may develop exhaust leaks due to broken exhaust manifold bolts. Exhaust manifold gaskets and bolts should be replaced as necessary.

- Owenton, KY, USA

Aug 162012

Commander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and every light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that he took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection where they stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 10/3/12 the consumer stated the 2006 V-8 models were recalled, for the same issue. The consumer stated the electronics were the same in both vehicles, even though he is a V-6. updated 10/091/2

- San Francisco, CA, USA