CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 302014

Commander

While driving down a service road, my 2006 Jeep Commander stalled and the check engine light came on. It would not restart, and was towed to the dealership. The dealership says that the valve and valve seating came loose, and fell into my cylinder, damaging the piston. They are now saying that I need a new engine, as mine has too much damage to repair. I contacted Jeep customer care, and they are unwilling to repair the damage. The vehicle cost $12,500 and the new engine, only 2 months after purchasing it, will cost roughly $7,000 without including labor. From my research, this is a fairly common problem, that Jeep knows about, but is unwilling to fix.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Apr 022012

Commander

October, 2013 received notification that there was a safety recall on my 2006 Jeep Commander. (as I have 6 children, this was a prioity to have fixed) I brought my Jeep into the dealership to have the N23 safety recall performed. Come January, 2014 I attempt to activate my 4 wheel low and I get a service light stating "service 4WD". I contact the dealership who had performed the recall and bring it in to be looked at. They run a diagnosis and determine the truck has an internal short in the transfer case. The service tech advised me it is related to the recall but he can not do anything at hte dealer level. I need to call chysler customer service who tells me they will not be doing anything to help. Upon a little research (Jeep forums) it seems there are many (many) others with the sames issues. I am sure I am not the only one to call Jeep wiht this issue and if you clear the codes the 4 wheel low engages so it is not a short. I believe Chrysler Jeep should look into what was performed with the N23 recall and determine how it effected the 4 wheel low on these vehicles. Then reprogram them to work, as they were, at no cost to the owner. Since this was a safety recall I felt I had no option but to have the recall preformed on my vehicle now I have a faulty vehicle. Dealer tells me they need to update 4 wheel drive but cant do it because it is not in the recall this has gone on for way 2 long. I am going to file a complaint with the better business and I ask everyone with this same problem do do it also please complain somewhere so something can be done

- Edinburg , TX, USA

Apr 102013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. A crash occurred after the failure occurred. The contact also mentioned that the electrical components intermittently failed. The failure was diagnosed by a private mechanic where the failure was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000 and the current mileage was 113,8096.

- Fair Oak , CA, USA

Mar 242014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact also mentioned that the electrical components intermittently failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Covina, CA, USA

Feb 122014

Commander

Engine idles when stopped and sometimes the Jeep lunges forward. Lights on dash come on intermittingly. Tires keep needing replaced even when getting the Jeep continually balanced and rotated. They wear down on the outer rim of front tires only. Have to keep getting new batteries because vehicle keeps dying. I have had more problems with this vehicle since I bought it new in 2006 than I have had with a car in a lifetime. Interior power stations dont work, passenger window will not close or open at times. Some times the horn will just start going off. I keep receiving recall notices almost yearly. Jeep needs to recall this vehicle. It has been a lemon from the second I brought it home.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 122014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure was recurring over a period of one year. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Knockville, TN, USA

Dec 172013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the check engine light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact also stated that the vehicle shifted erratically. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 84,000.

- Cresco, PA, USA

Dec 012013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the engine made a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic, who stated that the cylinder head had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Rodondo Beach, CA, USA

Dec 232013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8 stalls when coming to a stop. Multiple instances (over 12) between the first occurrence approximately mid December 2013 and today 11 January 2014. All stalls happened when coming to a stop except for one instance when it stalled while in reverse. A drop in rmps and lighting/instrument failure accompanies the stall. Chrysler's recall N32 was completed October 2013. Vehicle has been owned since early 2011 with no stalling of this type having occurred prior to this. No instrument panel indication (e.g. check engine light) accompanies the stall. Vehicle restarted on all occasions after shifting to park or neutral.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Dec 182013

Commander 6-cyl

I was stopped at an intersection. When I proceeded to go across the intersection, the vehicle started going but very slowly no matter how much I pressed the accelerator and there were cars coming at me. It drove very slowly for a couple of blocks and I came to another stop. As I started to go into the intersection again, the vehicle started off very slowly even with the accelerator to the floor. As I proceeded it went a little faster but not much faster. My daughter informed me that this same thing happened to her earlier when she was driving the Jeep and she turned it off and she cut it off completely then restarted it and it ran fine. I proceeded to do the same thing(cutting it off completely and turning it back on) and it ran well again. When I took it to the dealership, they sad that they were unable to duplicate the same problem and can not fix what they can't find.

- Temple, TX, USA

Oct 072013

Commander 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander with check engine light took to a mechanic and was told input speed sensor was told its an internal transmission part. My vehicle hesitates when accelerating and also bucks.

- Monticello, IA, USA

Oct 112013

Commander 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander with check engine light took to dealer and was told they couldn't fix the used scan tool to look up code P0700 and this took them to P2767 input speed sensor was told its an internal transmission part and they cant fix was told they cant duplicate problem so they cant fix at this time. My vehicle hesitates when accelerating and also bucks.

- St.Louis, MO, USA

Aug 162013

Commander 8-cyl

As I have now read online of hundreds of complaints regarding the same problem... I was driving down the hwy at 70 mph, the engine just quit on my and everything shutdown. I was able to move the car to the side (without and power steering) and stop completely, take out the key, reinsert it and it started up. No problems after that until I was driving the hwy again in September and it did it again with the same results. I have now taken it to the dealership (wolfchase Jeep in germantown, tn) and they are replacing the map sensor and a couple of other things - including a manifold gasket - for a total of $1000. Interestingly when I asked the service rep. If Jeep has a problem with this, he denied any knowledge of such a problem!

- Cordova, TN, USA

Jul 152013

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the engine stalled without any warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. The contact disconnected the battery and then reconnected it in order to restart the engine. The vehicle resumed in normally. The failure recurred on a later date. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing in which a trouble code was not detected. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000....updated 01/13/14 according to the invoice, the dealer found the PCM and FCM had internal open circuits. Updated 01/15/14

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Sep 072013

Commander 6-cyl

Sept 7 the engine just cut out of gear and stopped running had to pull over to the side of the road before being hit from behind as it stalled.pulled over shut off the engine, restarted it and it was firm...drove a few miles and the light went off. The same thing just happened again on I-95 in baltimore traveling at 65 mph. Engine light came on. Pulled over shut off the engine, restarted it and it was firm...drove a few miles and the light went off.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 022013

Commander

I was driving and when I accelerated the car seemed very sluggish and hesitant to switch gears. As I approached the stop light and came to a stop I noticed the car stalled. So I turned it off and restarted it. This has happen twice now that the car has just stalled. I have now noticed that since this incident my car has been idling rough and has been vary sluggish while driving, especially up hills. I am worried for my safety that this will happen again while I am driving.

- Woodstock, IL, USA

Sep 062013

Commander

It saddens me to write this letter concerning the poor service I received on my 2006 Jeep Commander at one of your dealerships. I purchased the car last November in manassas, va, and the car ran great up until about a month ago, when all of the indicator lights would come on and then the car would abruptly shut-off. This behavior went on for about a week and then I took it to the dealer (darcars Chrysler Jeep Dodge of new carrollton) located at X your Jeep service center diagnosed the problem to be the PCM assembly which cost about $800, and was not covered by my extended warranty. After negotiating with the gwc warranty company, they agreed to pay half, which was $500 and we paid the balance of $577. After authorizing the repair, I was called on Saturday, August 17th to pick up the vehicle. Ironically, when I got in the vehicle, it wouldn┐┐T start., so the mechanic had to give me a jump. After having the car home for a few days, the problem re-appeared again. The same exact symptoms! I called the Jeep dealership and the service center manager, leo, told me to bring the car back. This time I requested a rental car so I could continue to go to work while they diagnose my car again. They kept my care through the labor day holiday and informed me it was my battery. This doesn┐┐T make sense. I never had a problem with the battery until they started working on the car, so I had to pay an additional $277 (including car rental charges) for a new battery. I picked up the car yesterday, September 5, 2013, and this morning, I brought my daughter to school and the problem occurred again! I am beyond upset and frustrated. I have spent over $800, and my car is still not reliable.

- Glenn Dale, MD, USA

Apr 012013

Commander

I purchased the Commander in September 2012. It ran great for a few months and then it started to stall. I replaced the maps sensor and tps sensor and it's still stalling. The stalling is at random and has happened many time while I was on the highway going 65+. that's exteremly dangerous and this issue should have been resolved by now. Doing research online I know see that there is thousands of people with this very same issue and no one has successfully resolved it. There is an obvious defect with this Jeep and Chrysler needs to be held accountable. I blame myself for not doing any proper research before purchasing. I will never buy another Chrysler product again.

- Kenosha , WI, USA

Aug 172013

Commander

I have just purchased this used 2006 Jeep Commander 1 week ago. The vehicle is in great condition, no previous accidents, no engine lights/error codes. On the 2nd day of owning the Jeep I experienced my first stall, and since then 4 more stalls. There is no engine lights, error codes, etc. The vehicle seems to be 100% okay, however the vehicle has just shut off 4 times losing brakes, steering, lights, etc - whether I am moving or at a stop. At first I thought "I must have bought a lemon" but I have been reading through several forums and blogs that there are 100's if not 1,000's of people who are experiencing the same issue with their 5.7L hemi Commander, and some of the blogs date back to 2006 when these vehicles were brand new with less than a thousand miles on them. One person actually suffered an accident due to this electrical issue - losing control of steering and brakes. Because their is no engine codes or lights dealerships are not assessing the issue at all or are just throwing parts at it hoping it is fixed and charging the customer a boat load of money. Several people have identified that the issue potentially resides in the PCM and the ignition coils, some say that the coils put of an em interference that is disrupting the PCM. Regardless - Chrysler needs to get this fixed so no one else gets hurt, or killed.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jun 252013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling 70 mph, the vehicle completely stalled. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder where it was restarted. The vehicle resumed normal function and was able to be driven to a private mechanic. The contact was informed that the throttle position and exhaust sensors had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 131,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Novato, CA, USA