CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 262014

Commander

P41 / NHTSA 14V-438 engine shut off while driving. Removed everything from key chain, and left enough space between knee and key. When car bounces, cannot control knee. Happened more than 5 times past a month. Called Chrysler, have no estimated time for parts production.

- Bozrah, CT, USA

Nov 042014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the vehicle stalled and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 99,376.

- Marrieta, CA, USA

Dec 012013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle veered to the right and the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the gear shifter was difficult to shift into park. The contact stated that one month later, the check tire pressure light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the parts needed to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Culver City , CA, USA

Dec 262014

Commander

My vehicle constantly stalls while slowing down to almost a stop or a stops. It happens almost every time now. When slowing down for a light while traffic is slowly moving my Jeep stalls and I've almost been hit 5 times now. Not good

- Hogansburg, NY, USA

Aug 152014

Commander

Bought this Commander 08/02/14, about two weeks after driving it. It started dropping out of gear and and getting stuck in 3rd gear. And when driving on the highway it would completely shut down, I sent it back to where I bought it. For them to fix the proble being I havent even made my first car payment. And the gave me a run around for two weeks saying they was waiting on parts. Then said they had it and had my Jeep for almost 4 weeks. Before getting my Jeep. Now its 01/02/15 and its doing it again. I cant make it back and forth to work. Or get my kids. With my Jeep stuck in third gear and dieing for no reason.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Feb 012014

Commander

I have 2006 Jeep Commander in which I am experiencing issues with the ignition switch on my vehicle. The defective ignition switch causes every light on my dashboard to illuminate and it causes my vehicle to stall, as well as flickering lights with no power to fuel gauges, mph, and RPM needles. After all the lights illuminate and go away the check engine light stays on, and the defective ignition switch drains my battery causing my vehicle to not start without a jump start by the next day. With a slight tap on the key it will move some or a bump in the road will make the ignition switch start acting up and make some of the previously described symptoms act up. Occasionally there are clicks that come from the ignition switch after the vehicle has started, which signifies that the defective ignition switch is going to fail soon. I received the notification from the Chrysler corporation about the recall and that my vehicle is included in it, but haven't received the second notice to this date about when the part would be available. I called in November to check and see what can be done but I was told the same thing that no parts are available. So this leaves me at the end of the road with this vehicle. I check online almost all the time for updates and still the same thing. I have been following this recall since it popped up in the news before I received notification from Chrysler, because I have had this problem with my vehicle. I am scared for my life that the key will move into the wrong places disabling my car or when the ignition switch acts up it will make me loose control of my vehicle and it could be dangerous for me or any of my passengers even fatal. Safety should be Chrysler number one priority. At this point I hope to get rid of this car and move away from Chrysler's products for good especially since Fiat is running the show!

- Alexandria , VA, USA

Dec 012014

Commander

2006 Jeep Commander idling up on its own and engine made a loud noise. The dealer informed the consumer, the noise was normal for a hemi engine. The consumer was then informed, the problem was the throttle. Also when it rained, the consumer discovered water on the driver's side floor. The dealer was unable to find a leak.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Dec 102014

Commander

While driving the vehicle on a slippery road during a snowfall, my wife observed all of the indicator lights on the dashboard light up simultaneously. Shortly thereafter, the engine shut off, causing a loss of power steering and consequently a loss of control of the vehicle on the slippery roadway. As a result, the vehicle slid into a highway maintenance marker along the shoulder of the road, causing minor damage to the license plate holder and bumper of the vehicle. Our concern is that this incident is apparently due to a defective ignition switch, which is the subject of a current recall (14V-438) issued by the manufacturer on 9/3/14. However, the manufacturer has not provided a remedy for this defect, citing the unavailability of repair parts, and as of this morning the manufacturer has no idea as to when these repair parts will be available. In the meantime, the phenomenon of the dashboard indicators suddenly and spontaneously illuminating while driving continues to recur rather frequently, and we are afraid that a recurrence of the engine shutoff and loss of power steering and brake assist will also recur, perhaps at a time and location where a much more serious crash will result.

- Endicott, NY, USA

Aug 182014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled and all the warning lights illuminated continuously. The vehicle was restarted. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Jul 152014

Commander

Vehicle was parked at the gas station. It was working fine previously. Had been at dealer getting routine maintenance done 2 weeks prior. After filling tank with gas, got in and car engine had loud bang followed by the sound of bucket of bolts. Car was then towed to dealer where I was informed the car needed a complete long block. After doing extensive forum research, I am finding that there are more reports of this problem. I also understand that Chrysler is aware of a design problem but will not admit or process a recall for this problem.

- Covina , CA, USA

Nov 262014

Commander

While traveling at highway speed and after about 1.5 hours of continuous highway operation, the vehicle stalled without warning. I was able to safely move to the emergency lane and brake to a stop. I placed the vehicle in park, turned the key to off, and re-started without incident. Since the first occurrence, this has happened almost daily, always at highway speeds and sometimes while on a curve. This occurs during my daily commute, which is approximately 20 miles, each way.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Aug 052014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 35 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system ) however, the part needed for the recall repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 012014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that a sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Dayton, TN, USA

Sep 152013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 25-30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel flickered. The vehicle was able to restart after numerous attempts. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the starter and battery were replaced, but the failure recurred. In addition, the horn activated independently. The vehicle was shut off and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the spark plugs were replaced and a tune up was performed, but the failure recurred. While making a turn at 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel flickered. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the solenoid starter was replaced, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the control module and tire harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. On another occasion, the contact stated that the transmission temperature warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where an unknown hose and the water pump were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V203000 (power train), but was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The parts were not available to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 112014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled. The engine warning light also illuminated. The vehicle was restarted and taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. A month later, the contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they informed the contact that the part was unavailable. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Apex, NC, USA

Nov 052007

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph attempting to stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). However, the parts needed were unavailable for repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Crockett, TX, USA

Jul 092008

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Commander

I think its terrible how Jeep/Chrysler cant fix a recall...when families got to drive a car that they know theres something wrong with them....since Sept..everytime I stop at a red light or a stop sign my Jeep turns off..I have to put it in park and start it up again....I cant drive it on the highway because of this...and dealerships say they dont have the parts to fix it....so Chrysler making the money they make cant help people trying to make a living when all they have is only one car and its a car they made...

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Nov 142014

Commander

Help please!!!!!!! I have come here and filed complaints on this vehicle a few times! there is currently a recall on this vehicle, however there is no solution so we are forced to drive in a very dangerous situation! my Jeep dies on me almost twice a week!!! I am 5'1 my knee's are no where near the ignition switch! I have taken off everything from my key ring since it started dying in July!!! today I am in tears! we have snow packed icy roads and my Jeep died as I was turning a corner, barely missing another vehicle and with no power steering I was able to get to a curb. I can put the Jeep in park and restart it, but today was a close call! I drive my children in this vehicle!!! we have no other vehicle that I can use! I cannot responsibly sell this vehicle, I would feel horrible if something happened to another family!!! this Agency is set up to maintain the safety of the consumer, please, please help us who are driving this extremly dangerous vehicle! I am copying this and sending it to whatever media outlet will listen!!!

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 162014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled as all of the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Littleton, CO, USA